Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mttfrog13
  • 5 Post By strausd
  • 1 Post By Crashdamage

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): (In Transit) Samsung Galaxy Nexus, (Sold) LG Motion, (Sold) LG Esteem, (Sold) LG Dare.
Carrier: Tmobile Prepaid.

Default Nexus 4 in stock again?

Anyone know when the nexus 4 will be in stock? And do you think they will go out of stock again so quickly? Hopefully when they are this won't all happen again. Really want two 8 gigs on the first. Already got my sims ready .

Advertisements

sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Real Bass Creator

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 4.4.2(Eclipse) , Nexus 7 (Stock), (RIP) Galaxy Nexus 4.4(SlimKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 3,421 Times in 2,163 Posts

Found this article, this is all Google is willing to say about it, unfortunately...

Google: Nexus 4 will be available again "in the coming weeks"

I love this community and so should you! So before posting please read:
Site Rules & Guidelines and Android FAQ's
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Motorola Photon 4G (2.3.4 w/root)
Carrier: T-Mobile, Sprint

Lots of rumors floating around that Google is trying to restock in time for Thanksgiving, but I don't buy that. I assume more will appear after the Black Friday unofficial kick-off for holiday shopping.

Motorola
- Kickapoo word for "broken promise."
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

My bet is that they make them available for order again early next week around Nov. 28th. I figure they're going to be shipping the delayed units that have already been ordered, before they start taking new orders. A bad launch is one thing, but not even having it available for black friday is pretty stupid. How could they expect to sell big numbers during the holiday season, while they might not even be able to sell the product on black friday.
Erick2012 likes this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfrog13 View Post
My bet is that they make them available for order again early next week around Nov. 28th. I figure they're going to be shipping the delayed units that have already been ordered, before they start taking new orders. A bad launch is one thing, but not even having it available for black friday is pretty stupid. How could they expect to sell big numbers during the holiday season, while they might not even be able to sell the product on black friday.
I don't think selling the product is the problem, the problem is keeping it in stock huge demand for this device and they had no way of knowing it was going to be huge compared to the other nexus phones they have released
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: AT & T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarnes91 View Post
I don't think selling the product is the problem...<snip>
The evidence to the contrary is blindingly obvious.

I find it incredible that the one company that virtually owns the internet could have so many problems with their ordering system. A lot of the anxiety people like me (waited for the release, ready to buy, got skunked by the crashes) are feeling could so easily be relieved by just simply setting up a preordering method and providing reasonably accurate shipping estimate. The fact that they are silent on the issue and unable, unwilling, or so blind to their customers needs they don't know, shows that they, in fact, have no idea how to manage consumer product delivery (selling the product).

I almost bought an iPhone 5 today at Sam's club because they had the 16 gig in-stock. I am tempted to buy one only because, being new to Android, my impression is that Google doesn't know how to deliver their product or provide at least SOME non-rumor-mill info to their customers. At least Apple gives you an estimate (was 3 weeks, now is 2 weeks, with certain models in stock at retailers).

I also explored getting one from T-Mobile but didn't want to have to change carriers just to get my hands on one. At T-Mobile, they at least said, paraphrasing, 'backordered - expected shipping date tomorrow.'

Given the inital order mess, what am I to expect if I ever need customer support (assuming I ever manage to actually get one)?

I'm gonna give G another week to at least say when they go back on sale or I'm out.

Better the devil you know than the one you don't.
Last edited by Pappy35; November 20th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

From the looks of it the new google play will have a preorder system Latest Google Play APK suggests pre-orders in the works, app reviews may require Google+

selling it was not the problem the problem was the servers could not handle it, getting mad at them does not accomplish anything, well unless you go buy an Iphone then it will hurt them
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default LG Nexus 4 - Where to Buy

So the LG Nexus 4 sold like hotcakes on a cold London morning.
  • Sold out in Germany in 15 minutes
  • Sold out in the UK in 1 hour
  • Sold out in the US in 10 minutes
  • Sold out in Australia "within minutes"
  • Sold out in all other European countries

Now it's been sold out for a week. Can't get it on Google Play Store.

Does anyone know how long the wait will be from Google Play Store?
Last edited by Ingenieur7; November 21st, 2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcarnes91 View Post
From the looks of it the new google play will have a preorder system Latest Google Play APK suggests pre-orders in the works, app reviews may require Google+

selling it was not the problem the problem was the servers could not handle it, getting mad at them does not accomplish anything, well unless you go buy an Iphone then it will hurt them
The servers from the largest and most popular search engine that processes a billion searches per day couldn't handle the launch of a cell phone? Am I the only one that finds that ridiculous?
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10, Samsung Galaxy Fit

Well...I just ordered 2 Nexus 10 tablets off the UK Google Play site. The phone, however, remains "out of stock". The interesting thing is that though my order was booked, the email I received from Google Play confirming my order said that it would take between 2-3 weeks for Google to deliver plus that my card would not be charged till the order is fulfilled.

I hope this applies to the phone too...and soon!

Edit: Very interesting developments. First is the disclaimer because it related to the N10 and not to the N4. However the situations are similar which is why I am posting this here.

As you would have read above, I order the N10 and the wait time indicated to me was 2-3 weeks. Last night I received an email saying that the tablets have been despatched and sure enough late morning I received an email from our mail room asking me to pick up my packages! So, now we have our N10s. I checked on the Google Play site but the phone still shows sold out. Oh...btw, the tracking number that Google sent me failed to show any info.
Last edited by kristalsoldier; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:42 AM.
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

You act like they use the same servers for everything, there search servers are way different then there playstore servers
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default I contacted google play help

Honestly unbelievable! I called them up and the guy I spoke with said that they are as in the dark as all of us. He said his guess was in a couple of weeks but that has been everyone's guess for some time now. Apparently they have a lot of orders now to fulfill and are playing catch up so I don't know when those of us who missed out on ordering will get a chance. Making a mistake with judging demand like this is forgiveable but the now lack of communication regarding the matter is totally unacceptable. I wish google would come clean, tell us what is going on and communicate with their staff and customers letting us know when it will next be available.

To top it off, at the end of the conversation he wanted me to do a survey, however it was out of stock - sorry, I mean unavailable due to technical difficulties. Really, what is going on google?
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default When will supply catch up with demand for the Nexus 4?

So the Nexus 4 is sold out everywhere. It sold out in 30 minutes in the Google Play Store, and sold out for more money in the T-Mobile store. Obviously this is very frustrating. I mean, I wish Google would do what Apple does and still allow you to place an order, but keep pushing back the ship date. I don't care if I get it in the first week in January, I just want to place my order so I don't have to worry about it again.

Anyway, how long do you think until the average person can go to the Google play store and order one, without having to frantically refresh the page? 1 month? 2 months?...
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Intercept

Probably when demand dies down.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

My guess would be that its going to carry on like this until everyone who wants one had either got bit or got fed up and bought something else.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Any idea when? Saying the obvious doesn't answer my question...
Old November 22nd, 2012, 03:47 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile, Google Fiber Internet

Impossible to know unless you can get inside information from someone at Google or LG. Even they may not have a good answer. True demand for the Nexus 4 may not be determined for a while.

It will be available when it's available. Patience.
KENNECTED likes this.
Registered Linux user #266531 since 2001. Android user since v1.0.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
KENNECTED (November 22nd, 2012)
Old November 22nd, 2012, 06:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

This is just my opinion. I think Google priced the phone way too cheaply. I understand they want to set quality and price baseline standards so that the manufacturers have to actually work hard to win our dollars. But they also need to draw the line at the point where manufacturers start getting stiffed because Google decide to essentially subsidize this device.

I personally think they should've priced it to start at $400 and invested in better battery life.

They were obviously not expecting it to sell out so quickly, but it really tells you that if they end up selling 10+ million of these over the upcoming year, that's a lot of lost sales.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 10:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
This is just my opinion. I think Google priced the phone way too cheaply. I understand they want to set quality and price baseline standards so that the manufacturers have to actually work hard to win our dollars. But they also need to draw the line at the point where manufacturers start getting stiffed because Google decide to essentially subsidize this device.

I personally think they should've priced it to start at $400 and invested in better battery life.

They were obviously not expecting it to sell out so quickly, but it really tells you that if they end up selling 10+ million of these over the upcoming year, that's a lot of lost sales.
I'm not sure about that, not too many people (percentage wise) buy unsubsidized phones.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 02:31 AM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

I'd say sometime before Christmas as they wouldn't want to lose out on those sales
sponsored links
Old November 24th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: GiffGaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annebrooks64 View Post
My guess would be that its going to carry on like this until everyone who wants one had either got bit or got fed up and bought something else.
I got fed up and bought an LG Optimus 4X
Old November 27th, 2012, 09:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfrog13 View Post
My bet is that they make them available for order again early next week around Nov. 28th. I figure they're going to be shipping the delayed units that have already been ordered, before they start taking new orders.
Called it.
Last edited by lunatic59; November 27th, 2012 at 12:54 PM. Reason: fixed tag
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post

How is that lost sales that is 10+million people using google services and that is exactly what they want, they don't care how people come about using there services they just want you to use them, that is there cash cow. a starting point of 400 would have been more profitable hardware wise but thats not what google makes money on they would rather give millions out at cost and make money on the information they get from you, then make a few million on hard ware and sell lots less. if they have more devices out there that is more information they receive and that pays for the extra hundred they would have made on hardware several times over and there are many other benefits too
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #24 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1, Nook Color, Asus Transformer T-1
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 13,415 Times in 7,345 Posts

This email came this morning ....

Quote:
Nexus 4 will be available for purchase later today!
Order yours from Google Play starting today, November 27 at 12:00 noon PST (U.S. only).

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): (In Transit) Samsung Galaxy Nexus, (Sold) LG Motion, (Sold) LG Esteem, (Sold) LG Dare.
Carrier: Tmobile Prepaid.

Damn, hopefully they stay in stock for a few days this time, gotta wait till the first.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): iPhone 4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereticSins View Post
Damn, hopefully they stay in stock for a few days this time, gotta wait till the first.
I hope too, I gotta wait till payday which is Friday till I can get one. What kills it though is the people that buy 10 at a time and sell them on ebay.
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

they're limiting it to two orders a person i've read here
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2012/11/google-play-limiting-nexus-4-purchases-to-2-per-customer/
Old April 3rd, 2013, 08:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32 GB

I will travel next week to Germany and I am considering getting an 8 gb version of the N4 for my girlfriend. I know it is in stock now with 3-5 days delivery. About how much would I pay with taxes and shipping for this phone in Germany?
Motorola Talkabout - Motorola Vulcan - Sony Ericsson T220 - Sony Ericsson T610 - Motorola V500 - Motorola V3 - HTC Touch - Nokia 5320 - Nokia E63 - LG GW550 - iPhone 3GS - HTC Inspire 4G - Nokia Lumia 610 - Motorola Atrix 4G - Apple iPad 2 - Galaxy Note 1 - Nokia Lumia 900 - LG Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 - Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:11 AM   #29 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1, Nook Color, Asus Transformer T-1

Thanked 13,415 Times in 7,345 Posts

The 8 GB N4 costs $299 in the U.S. so I would expect it to be about 235, but I have no idea what the taxes would be.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunatic59 For This Useful Post:
andrews317 (April 3rd, 2013)
Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

A quick google has the prices on the German version of Play at €299 for the 8GB and €349 for the 16GB.
The Following User Says Thank You to SiempreTuna For This Useful Post:
sponsored links
Old April 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32 GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
A quick google has the prices on the German version of Play at 299 for the 8GB and 349 for the 16GB.
I found that to, it said 299 for the 8GB including tax, but not sure if it also includes shipping. Anyways, that's about $385 for the 8GB version, what I paid for the 16GB version on the US after taxes and shipping. In the UK says its 239, about $360 for 8GB.

Damn Europe
Old April 3rd, 2013, 09:56 PM   #32 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 16,348 Times in 8,748 Posts

Shipping was 9.99 in the UK, I expect it to be comparatively priced elsewhere in Europe.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Presidente For This Useful Post:

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4