Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree22Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 20th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Why does everyone want the Nexus 4?

This is coming from someone who bought the Nexus One. The Nexus One was revolutionary, the Nexus S was revolutionary in its own way, and the Galaxy Nexus changed all of that. However, why is everyone interested in the Nexus 4?

The Nexus One was arguably the first game-changing open Android phone. The Nexus S brought us NFC. The Galaxy Nexus brought us a huge 720p display, LTE, etc. What does the Nexus 4 bring us and what's the hype?

It lacks LTE. It lacks a microSD card. By all means except software (the inclusion of 4.2), it seems to be a step backwards. My Galaxy S3 runs the latest CM10 build, has NFC, LTE, a microSD card slot, a huge gorgeous SuperAMOLED display, decent battery life, and more. Why is the Nexus 4 so much better than that?

Can someone please explain the hype behind this phone to me?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Gun for Hire

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfkrocktk View Post
This is coming from someone who bought the Nexus One. The Nexus One was revolutionary, the Nexus S was revolutionary in its own way, and the Galaxy Nexus changed all of that. However, why is everyone interested in the Nexus 4?

The Nexus One was arguably the first game-changing open Android phone. The Nexus S brought us NFC. The Galaxy Nexus brought us a huge 720p display, LTE, etc. What does the Nexus 4 bring us and what's the hype?

It lacks LTE. It lacks a microSD card. By all means except software (the inclusion of 4.2), it seems to be a step backwards. My Galaxy S3 runs the latest CM10 build, has NFC, LTE, a microSD card slot, a huge gorgeous SuperAMOLED display, decent battery life, and more. Why is the Nexus 4 so much better than that?

There actually is capability for LTE on-board, but it is disabled. I don't see it as a step backwards at all. The truth is that some of the things you listed (which are seemingly important to you) do not matter to many folks. I can survive w/o expandable storage, and I like the HD IPS+ display more than I like SAMOLED.

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Stock / ElementalX
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Mate I'm all for the nexus 4 infact I'm getting it but I hate to burst your bubble . In a way your right the phone does have an LTE chip but it does not have an amplifier so it will never be able to receive LTE.

I STill want the nexus 4 as it has a snapdragon quadcore proccessor it looks amazing. I also can't wait for 4.2 jelly bean. It's also amazingly cheap for arguably one of the best phones in the world you would be crazy not to get it
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid X Droid Eris

Quote:

When have you been able to afford a top of the line newest software available phone off contract for less than $600 new scratch that $500 scrath that $400 Scratch that $349....enough said....whats the hype????

Tell me whats appealing about the GS3 quad core over 4.5" screen NFC, Jelly Bean, last i checked the Nexus had all of that.....

Try to justify to someone here that doesnt need removeable storage why i should pay over $550 for a top tier phone....ill wait...

btw ill take vanilla android over touchwiz all day and i find it hard to believe a phone enthusiast would disagree....but like i said ill wait..
NYCHitman1 and ajbuck68 like this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

btw how much was your GS3 also it does have LTE just saying
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

It's also common knowledge Stock beats manufacturers skins any day
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gun for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTjSux View Post
btw how much was your GS3 also it does have LTE just saying
$325 on eBay
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
pain rustique

Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 6,109 Times in 4,007 Posts

Don't know if Google themselves have proclaimed this but it's generally thought that the Nexus devices were never designed to be "industry leading" spec wise.
S4 Pro is one heck a processor, but the Exynos 4412 in the Note 2 can certainly give it a run for the money.
DNA already has a better screen.
Battery life can't be matched by the Maxx series.
Lack of SD Card and removable battery certainly is a bummer (many other high end phones have these).

I think the N4 looks pretty amazing, but my Gnex is working just fine (and it's got LTE). What Google seems to be doing now is relying far less on carriers and providing top spec devices at nearly cut throat prices. They're meant as carriers for Play Store purchases and developers, not the mainstream smartphone user.
NYCHitman1 and nycnyc like this.
Site Rules and Guidelines
The Following User Says Thank You to breadnatty08 For This Useful Post:
NYCHitman1 (November 20th, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Gun for Hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnatty08 View Post
S4 Pro is one heck a processor, but the Exynos 4412 in the Note 2 can certainly give it a run for the money.
I don't know about all that, but we'd be in complete agreement if you said the 5250.
Old November 20th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
pain rustique

Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 6,109 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
I don't know about all that, but we'd be in complete agreement if you said the 5250.
Same in the N10 and my Chromebook, eh? She doesn't seem to have any problems with speed and multitasking.
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:03 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamo_210 View Post
It's also common knowledge Stock beats manufacturers skins any day
That's why I'm running CM10 on my GS3.

Quote:
btw ill take vanilla android over touchwiz all day and i find it hard to believe a phone enthusiast would disagree....but like i said ill wait..
How long do you think TouchWiz lasted on my device? About 1 hour, and that's because I was busy

As soon as the CM10 nightlies were available, I got the GS3.
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadnatty08 View Post
Same in the N10 and my Chromebook, eh? She doesn't seem to have any problems with speed and multitasking.
Exactly. The Nexus 10 is revolutionary, game-changing. The Nexus 4 is "yesterday's jam." (Thumbs up if you can spot the reference.)
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

Ha makes sense mate
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
1. 1.5GHz quad core processor. In contrast to the US version of the GSIII, which has a 1.5GHz dual core processor.

2. 2GB RAM

3. 1280 x 768 HD IPS display - one of the best smartphone screens out there

4. Android 4.2 and the promise of every new Android OS that comes out in the next 2 years in a timely fashion. Most phones only ever get 1 update and that's it.

5. No manufacturer overlay

6. $300/$350 off contract

7. HSPA+ 42 support. If you live in a city with strong coverage, you won't be able to tell it's not LTE
The Following User Says Thank You to Banished Angel For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (November 21st, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 04:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4

Simple really. The price & the specs. LTE should not be an issue really. Untill LTE is stable enough to provide 50+mbs (while having an affordable unl. data plan) then I would stick with T-Mobile's reliable HSPA+ 42mbs. Once this phone is ROM'd up, it will def go up in the performance charts. Again, it is purely Android and will always recieve the latest Android update (as long as the phone can handle/support it).
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, HTC Desire

Simple for me too. Price and specs. I don't need a micro SD card slot, 16gb and even 8gb is enough for me, don't need a removable battery and while LTE would have been nice, it's still in its infancy here in the UK. So, a top notch phone for half the price of it's rivals(off contract), how can I say no?

I've been wishing to go off contract to give me the flexibility to chop and change phones as I please and especially to buy phones close to release date to stay relevant for as long as possible. Before the Nexus 4 came out that would have meant 500+ for the phone as well as monthly line rental costs. That would be a lot more expensive than getting a phone on a 24mth contract.

The N4 kills 3 birds with 1 stone for me so buying it really is a no-brainer.
Speeds03 likes this.
Bravo Sense hboot; 4Ext Recovery; S-OFF

Sign up for Dropbox and get 2 GB of online storage + an extra 250 MB for both of us, FREE!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sak01 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (November 21st, 2012)
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Well, if we must, we can say this: The Nexus 4 brings us 1080p video recording, a quad core processor (first on a Nexus), HSPA+ 42 compatibility, and of course, all the software goodies. There's no hype. It's a top-of-the-line device at an unbelievable price.
Quote:
Re: LTE, see HSPA+ 42 compatibility above. If you are anything like the usual smartphone user, you will never notice a difference. LTE is theoretically faster, but in real life, HSPA+ 42 (dual carrier) has been known to beat LTE speeds in some markets. Your mileage may vary, of course.

No Nexus phone has had removable storage. Both because it makes it easier to design on a compact basis and because it allows Google to hit a price point while pushing the cloud. Whether the lack of SD card is a negative or a plus is up to the consumer. I can see the obvious benefits of having an SD card. But (a) I don't need it given the cloud solutions, and (b) say your phone got stolen. You have a screen lock on your phone, but whoever stole it can easily remove your SD card and get access to data you may not want them to have. A phone that doesn't support removable storage eliminates that possibility. So it's not necessarily a negative.

I don't think the question is whether the Nexus 4 is "better" than the GS3. In my view, it is. But "better" in this instance is a subjective judgment rather than an objective conclusion. There is no way I'd buy a GS3 off contract, given the price. And I don't plan on going on contract. From that vantage point, the N4 is basically a steal, given the price.
NaterTots and Speeds03 like this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

For me the N4 is the phone i have been waiting for, fast no need for contracts( ihave not had a contract in years) updates destroys any of the competition for pre paid cells out there with out going into a 500-600 price range. the real question is why would you not want one.
Speeds03 likes this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): EVO 4G HW 002 MikFroyo 4.5BV-test netarchy toastmod-cfs-more-HAVS-nosbc 4.3.2

Quote:

Quad-core is a step backward? Not sure I understand that, but OK, that's your opinion and I respect that.

LTE? Don't care. Have an EVO 4G (WiMax, not LTE obviously) and keep "4G" off most of the time - sucks battery and my 3G speeds are fine. The HSPA+ 42 speeds of the N4 on T-Mobile (in the right markets, and I live in one) are considerably better.

No removable SD card? Again, don't care. Have 16GB card in my EVO with ~8GB free, getting by just fine. Would I *like* a removable SD card? Sure - just because. Has my usage pattern told me I *need* one - no, just the opposite.

$349 (16GB) for an unlocked phone is a step backward? Again, your opinion and I have to respect that. I happen to disagree. I'd rather have an unlocked GSM phone that I can go pretty much anywhere they have cell phone service in the world and get SIM cards as needed while drastically reducing what I would be paying for an on-contract phone.

Plus better display, JellyBean (and future updates), gorilla glass, etc. You are happy with your S3 - good, you should be, it's a great phone. If you've been able to obtain that phone at a good price and have a reasonable plan with your carrier, good for you. Some of us are interested in having the latest software, on a phone with good specs at a good price, without any carrier lock-in. That's what's great about free will - we all get to make choices. You've made yours, I've made mine. N4 for me.
Speeds03 likes this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): (In Transit) Samsung Galaxy Nexus, (Sold) LG Motion, (Sold) LG Esteem, (Sold) LG Dare.
Carrier: Tmobile Prepaid.

Plus the n4 is way better looking and has a better build quality than the gs3, IMHO. Plus I hate the blueish tint the gs3 has on whites.
But yeah its a steal for the price.

sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

It's pretty simple.

1. HSPA+ and LTE speeds are fairly similar so lack of LTE isn't really an issue.

2. Build quality is vastly superior over current Samsung devices.

3. Unlocked without a contract opens up many options for phone plans. ($45/month unlimited everything in Straight Talk).

4. Can't stress how important the lack of contract and carrier lock is, so I'll list it again. This also means no restrictions on tethering, since there's no carrier lock to get in the way.

5. True nexus without carrier interference.

While many people bemoaned lack of LTE, HSPA+ speeds near or the same as LTE in most markets, and exceed LTE in some markets. It's not even a fair comparison, The N4 greatly exceeds expectations and blows Samsung build quality out of the sky.
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm currently selling my Verizon 32gb GS3 in order to get the Nexus on tMo prepaid because:

When I'm at work, I get ZERO service, so my S3 battery gets destroyed searching for service and I can't make or receive phone calls. (my co-workers have tMO and get service just fine)

When I'm out and about, my S3 searches for 4G LTE so my battery gets destroyed.
I don't carry a spare battery with me, never have. I came from iPhone's and a battery is one more thing I don't want to carry around.

I want to be able to make phone calls without being told I sound like I'm on the opposite end of a very long tunnel.

I'm tired of all the wakelocks (maybe this is an Android thing but I've grown angry at this particular Samsung phone...)

I want to be able to see my screen when I'm outside.

My Verizon S3 is not rooted. Touchwiz is garbage, Verizon is going to be the last carrier to update to JellyBean and the way they handle wifi in the pulldown is just atrocious. Plus, bloatware.

I want iOS-like immediate updates.

I want iPhone/HTC-like build quality.

A year after release, I'd rather have a Galaxy Nexus-type situation rather than a SG2-type situation.

Same gb of RAM, two extra cores for a much cheaper unlocked price.

I too benefit from the HSPA+ 42 location and won't miss Verizon's spotty 4G LTE

Lightflow support
Last edited by RaLeX; November 20th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Archos 28 [Bricked :(] CM7.1 Nook Color Rooted Samsung Admire

Not revolutionary? Ok, you might be right. A step backwards? Really? No, its not a step backwards.
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:13 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

I want to support reasonably priced no contract phones. Vanilla android doesn't hurt either.
rpmouton and aurora40 like this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4,GSM GNex

Quote:
$325 on eBay
You aren't really comparing the price of a used phone with no warranty to a new nexus 4?
MyTjSux likes this.
Old November 20th, 2012, 10:56 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4,GSM GNex

Quote:
That's some reach you have there. NFC, that was a real game changer with gingerbread...

It seems obvious what the Nexus 4 brings, you only listed what it doesn't. But you missed that it doesn't bring a contract, or much sticker shock. Can you name a phone that brings more for less?
Old November 20th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, LG G Pad 8.3

Because I do.
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:04 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
There actually is capability for LTE on-board, but it is disabled.
This is not true. Yes there is an LTE chip but thats only because the Optimus G has LTE and thats what this phone is based off of. The phone is lacking the proper LTE radios and other essential hardware that is needed for LTE to work properly. Google isn't going to make an LTE nexus 4 for VZW or Sprint. They have stated that it was a horrible experience for both users and Google themselves. Verizon was notorious for blocking updates to GNexus phones and it made it very difficult for google to keep their promises to all of the people who owned the phone when it came to new OS updates.

Quote:
I don't see it as a step backwards at all. The truth is that some of the things you listed (which are seemingly important to you) do not matter to many folks. I can survive w/o expandable storage, and I like the HD IPS+ display more than I like SAMOLED.
I agree with you on all of these points. While I do think that there should of been a 16 and 32 GB versions of the phone instead of 8 and 16GB, 16GB is plenty especially if you get in the habit of using cloud storage and other tools that are available for use.

But I think that what it really boils down to is that people want the latest and greatest tech and the nexus 4 is ne exception. I too am very excited about getting all the new updates to teh Android OS. I have a 16GB nexus 7 and I cant begin to describe to you the feeling I got when I saw the notification that I had a system update ready for me for 4.2 JellyBean.. I'll be honest, I giggled like a little school girl.
Crashdamage likes this.
Last edited by Android802; November 21st, 2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:28 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

I wanted it cos the internet told me I wanted it.
Old November 21st, 2012, 03:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

For me, it is the device that made me venture outside the Apple camp.
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 04:47 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

The Nexus 4 is the first Nexus phone I actually want. Perhaps it's because I've fallen in love with the Nexus 7 but, I don't think so.

I think the first two were ugly :s. The third one, I was tempted to get but, I got an S2 instead at that time, as the camera which I use quite a bit, was better. 5mp just doesn't do it for me . However, after having to sell my S3 last week, I need an Android phone again. I miss my S3 but, I'm very tempted by the Nexus 4 because it has the specs I want and is at a much better price. The only negative for me is the lack of an SD slot. My 16GB internal memory on the S3 was all used up and 16GB of my 32GB card is used up.

My only other issue with the Nexus 4 is it's made by LG and not Samsung lol. But, then again I do feel that Samsung held back on the Galaxy Nexus and put the good specs on their phones instead which is why I got the S2 then the S3. If Google release/announce a 32GB version I will definitely be getting it to go with my 32GB Nexus 7 .
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:26 AM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

Its not about hype its about demand, demand from people that dont want carrier tie ins and bloatware, that want a phone that is half the price of its rivals (assuming your are not a mentalist and pay some Ebay douche twice the list price for one)

I am annoyed at the way Google have handled this though and the skeptic in me thinks it has been handled this way to cause exactly this, forum posts, debate, news coverage on lack of supply etc, so if there is any hype about this phone it has been created by Google.

Lack of LTE is no issue for all the reasons already mentioned, neither is memory card, the amount of time my memory card has messed me about thats a good thing to be honest.

I think for people that like the gloss the locked in phones off they may find the simplicity of the software on the Nexus a little boring, that said there is the other camp who hate all that stuff and want a totally uncluttered experience and thats your choice.

The thing is get a nexus, root it and pick your ROM I am more annoyed at Google and was going to pick another phone however I am now going to wait even if it takes a few months to get the phone, I only ever change a phone every 2 years anyway, I can wait..
Old November 21st, 2012, 08:45 AM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid, Charge, Bionic, Xoom, Nexus 7('12&'13)/10, GS4, Galaxy Nexus, '13 Moto X (DE), '14 Moto X (PE
Carrier: T-Mobile (ex-VZW)

Quote:
However, why is everyone interested in the Nexus 4?
I want it because it's the new shiny device from Google.

The internals are very nice, and after using one, it turned out to be a snappier better built version of my Galaxy Nexus, a phone I've come to love (save for the horrendous battery life). Toss this all in at a very competitive unlocked price, which allows a ton of flexibility, and it's a very tempting device.

And speaking of the LTE vs HSPA thing, I performed another test while on the Nexus 4, with my LTE Galaxy Nexus sitting just next to it. Granted, my GN wasn't getting the greatest reception, but that's all part of the game, since I care about coverage in areas I actually frequent.

For kicks, I asked my friend to send his LTE results from the Rogers network, up in Canada...he thoroughly embarrassed anything I had, here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VZW.jpg (45.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg TMobile.jpg (38.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Rogers.jpg (59.0 KB, 39 views)
alfick3 and steevo1 like this.
Last edited by krouget; November 21st, 2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old November 21st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus V Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7.0+ HTC Evo V (Rooted/S-Off) HTC WildFire S Google Nexus 4

I want a n4 because I'm tired of virgin mobile having a phone from 1 to 2 years ago, plus what if it is true that google and dish network are thinking of going into the cellular business? Can we say real game changer, if it is true.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:10 AM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

Me personally I think I would seriously think about getting the GSIII over the Nexus if it was unlocked and same price range( sorry wont buy used would have to be new) but that wont happen so no point in spending over a grand on phones for me and my old lady when i can spend 700 and get phones just as good
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:12 AM   #36 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddawgTL View Post
I want a n4 because I'm tired of virgin mobile having a phone from 1 to 2 years ago, plus what if it is true that google and dish network are thinking of going into the cellular business? Can we say real game changer, if it is true.
Yeah virgin mobile is horrible there is a reason it is only $25 a month I have had them for a year and it was a huge mistake, should have spent a few extra bucks and got a t-mobile pre paid plan or straight talk
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X (AT&T), Google Nexus 7, iPad 2, Asus T100TA Windows 8.1

Honestly I'm just tired of waiting for software updates... I have an AT&T S3 with NO LTE in my area and who knows when it will actually get here and when it does its already behind a version...... My area just barely got the back hauled HSPA or what not so LTE is not an issue for me. I love the S3s hardware but I'm tired of always being one step behind AND I'm tired of skins. The touchwiz interface is decent but at least once a week I get "Touchwiz has stopped responding" message and I have to wait for it restart before I can use my phone... Not to mention bloatware that I can't get rid of.

Yeah I can root my phone, back it up, install custom roms, and then.... possibly get a stable phone that I didn't brick with all of the functions working. Why the heck do I really want to go through all of that? The whole reason I left the iOS platform was because I felt that jailbreaking my phone to get it to do what I wanted was ridiculous.

Lets face it, this phone is NOT bleeding edge, its newer tech at a great price. Designed for developers and purists at a good price. That being said I think they could have bumped the price to 399$ maybe even 450$ for an optional LTE antenna along with the 299$ models. Not to mention the fact that they can't leave the other OEMs out in the cold. They needed to make a good phone but not a perfect phone in order to keep ties with manufactures imho.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:26 AM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Vanilla Android straight from Google for 300 bucks. Period.
Old November 21st, 2012, 12:51 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
this is coming from someone who bought the nexus one. The nexus one was revolutionary, the nexus s was revolutionary in its own way, and the galaxy nexus changed all of that. However, why is everyone interested in the nexus 4?

The nexus one was arguably the first game-changing open android phone. The nexus s brought us nfc. The galaxy nexus brought us a huge 720p display, lte, etc. What does the nexus 4 bring us and what's the hype?

It lacks lte. It lacks a microsd card. By all means except software (the inclusion of 4.2), it seems to be a step backwards. My galaxy s3 runs the latest cm10 build, has nfc, lte, a microsd card slot, a huge gorgeous superamoled display, decent battery life, and more. Why is the nexus 4 so much better than that?

slcd2 >>>>>> amoled
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:44 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
$325 on eBay
Brand new .....didnt think so
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2012, 02:49 PM   #41 (permalink)

man the gs3ers left this room quick......
Old November 21st, 2012, 05:31 PM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus VZW Casio G'zOne Commando

I'm on a VZW GNex, and until the nexus 4 gets 32GB, I'm not even going to consider it

I love this script ==> V6 SuperCharger.
Old November 21st, 2012, 11:41 PM   #43 (permalink)
That guy is This

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

FYI: The LTE Chip is dormant, but that doesn't matter, because an LTE antenna nor any of the power outputs for an antenna exist on the phone or mobo. Give up hope for LTE on the phones we have purchased in the past week or going on until 2013. It's HSPA+, not LTE. NOT CDMA. Sorry.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 09:57 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
There actually is capability for LTE on-board, but it is disabled. I don't see it as a step backwards at all. The truth is that some of the things you listed (which are seemingly important to you) do not matter to many folks. I can survive w/o expandable storage, and I like the HD IPS+ display more than I like SAMOLED.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
I'm on a VZW GNex, and until the nexus 4 gets 32GB, I'm not even going to consider it
The hype for me is simply that it is a nexus. i still have the nexus s, and although the nexus 4 looks nice, and very powerful, the fragility, the built-in battery, the no micro usb, but that's ok, i expect that of a nexus device, but these things kind of turn me off.

so i'm torn a little bit, but 16gigs only?! i mean, come on. my nexus s, which is like 3 years old, has 16g storage. and it's full. i'm not putting down 360$ for a phone that is faster, and that will be full after the first day.

the battery doesn't seem that bad, it looks like you could technically replace it, but it's just not made to be easy.

there will be no LTE even though it has an LTE chip inside that does nothing. it needs more hardware than the LTE chip in order to run LTE.

idk, the nexus 4 is nice, i get why people like it, the price point is great, nexus phones in general are awesome, if i needed only 8 or 16 gigs then i'd be getting one, but all the cons, make me iffy, and no storage, makes the decision easy, yet heartbreaking. i really want a latest nexus phone, but it can't be this one.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #45 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
For me, it is the device that made me venture outside the Apple camp.
A big me tooooo on that one!

Had iPhones since released in 2007.

Loving the N4! Tethering right out of the box when I was >< this close to changing my AT&T plan to tethering.

Since I don't think I will be leaving AT&T I'm thinking of buying an iPhone 5 just to sell.

Was considering an android device since the 4S came out--that I ultimately got. But when the i5 was another modest update I had had enough.

Michael
Old November 22nd, 2012, 01:39 PM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Note II, had HTC Flyer and Nexus 4

I am wanting a Nexus 4 because it's price is within my range, has the ability to do all things Android (not crippled by some carrier) and is not tied to any particular carrier (I can move around through what is available) or for that matter does not even need a SIM card to function as a small portable full android device. I have never seen a device with these features before and have been looking for quite awhile.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 07:41 AM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s):

Another reason to get the N4 that not many people have mentioned is the fact that you can charge it wirelessly, I have this feature on my touchpad and being able to just lie the tablet down and have it charge up is so nice.

I dont know of any other mobile phones that offer inductive charging at this price point, its something to consider and in time super cheap variants of charging mats and stands will become available.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:18 AM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, LG G Pad 8.3

And now if they just had the dock out.
JunBringer likes this.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:24 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats View Post
FYI: The LTE Chip is dormant, but that doesn't matter, because an LTE antenna nor any of the power outputs for an antenna exist on the phone or mobo. Give up hope for LTE on the phones we have purchased in the past week or going on until 2013. It's HSPA+, not LTE. NOT CDMA. Sorry.

ummm
Nexus 4 LTE enabled using simple hack - SlashGear
Old November 23rd, 2012, 11:50 AM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTjSux View Post
yay if it works I'm going to T-mobile prepaid plan. The sales rep at the store said they're rolling out lte in the coming years and Detroit area suppose to be bigger area for tmobile according to him so if this works with T-mobiles lte i'll be super happy though I'm sure hspa+42 will be plenty enough

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4