Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree11Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 26th, 2012, 05:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Default Genuine Car Mount/Vehicle Dock

Anyone know roughly when these will be on sale? How long after release was it before they went on sale for the galaxy nexus?
Are there any decent 3rd party ones available? I'm not really a fan of the universal ones.

sponsored links
Old November 26th, 2012, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by steslatt View Post
Anyone know roughly when these will be on sale? How long after release was it before they went on sale for the galaxy nexus?
Are there any decent 3rd party ones available? I'm not really a fan of the universal ones.
I would check out Brodit. They make purpose made cradles for individual devices. I've always been happy with their products.

Nexus 4 cradles don't seem to be available yet, but they are normally pretty quick.
steslatt likes this.
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

I also want a Nexus 4 specific windshield mount. I hope not to settle for a generic.
Old November 28th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Carrier: T-Mo

Brodit makes awesome mounts that snap on to the front console area. Called ProClip. They are car make and model specific. I loved the one I had for my N1 and am looking to get one for my N4 but it MUST fit with the bumper on so I'm hoping to find one that was made for a larger phone but will fit the N4 w/bumper.

Last time I made the mistake of figuring it was no big deal having to take the case on and off but when 95% of time you use your car it's to travel less than 30 minutes, it becomes a hassle and I ended up using it only on road trips and the like.
Last edited by Bob Loblaw1; November 28th, 2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw1 View Post
Brodit makes awesome mounts that snap on to the front console area. Called ProClip. They are car make and model specific. ...
It would be nice to have something phone specific (with bumper option) and vehicle generic, as I've got different vehicles myself, not to mention riding in friends' to whom I'd like to demonstrate the navigation capabilities of the N4.

RAM Smartphone Mount (made in USA)
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I still swear by Pugoo. It's a sticky thing that lets you mount the phone to anything. Mine goes right across the front of my head unit in my car.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
I still swear by Pugoo. It's a sticky thing that lets you mount the phone to anything. Mine goes right across the front of my head unit in my car.
A picture is worth 1,000 words I'd like to check it out but I don't have that much flat space on my front console area
Old November 28th, 2012, 08:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48

Here it is. I could cut it down since I don't need it to be that big but I'm just lazy. Works super well even with the glass backing on the Nexus 4!

Old November 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,163 Posts

Just so everyone knows that may not be aware, there is no car mode in JB or on the Nexus 4. So even with a Nexus 4 specific dock it won't be like previous phones where you place it in a dock and it launches a car mode.

Even if you download a car mode app and have it launch when Bluetooth connects it won't return to that app when you press the home button. You will return to your normal home launcher. The icon for car mode still appears in the notification bar, but that's it.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

e-mail response from Brodit:

"We have not yet managed to get a hold of a device, but as soon as we do we will produce holders.
I’m sorry I cannot keep a personal note to get back to you when we have them ready, but we will post as news on our web page and also on Facebook as soon as holders are ready. You could also sign up for our weekly newsletter showing all newly added products:
http://www.brodit.com/newsletter.html?pn=news&sm=nlt"

Yes I suppose they would need to have an actual phone b4 they can make the product. Could be months.
sponsored links
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #11 (permalink)

[/QUOTE]

Aah I don't know man. I want something more clean. Isn't that covering up the buttons on the head unit? Let me try and post a pic of my old setup.
Last edited by Bob Loblaw1; November 29th, 2012 at 02:33 AM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

https://picasaweb.google.com/105643143692819913629/LiquidAUX#5447903492460890594

This is what I want
Last edited by Bob Loblaw1; November 29th, 2012 at 02:05 AM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:04 AM   #13 (permalink)

Let's try this
Old November 29th, 2012, 07:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 Nexus One HTC Flyer

Yeah that's pretty irritating. I relied on the Car mode app on my N1. Have to figure out a way around that.

BTW, I use this for my car mount:
http://www.tetrax.com/us/products/xway-line

It requires that you put a metal "dot" on the back of your phone, I have a gel case on the N1 and just cut a circle in the gel so it fit flush. It works really well holds very securely without having to deal with clips and brackets.

Not cheap, but you get several dots, and in the long run I spent more on cheap mounts that never made it past the first day, but were too cheap to bother returning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlswltrs View Post
Just so everyone knows that may not be aware, there is no car mode in JB or on the Nexus 4. So even with a Nexus 4 specific dock it won't be like previous phones where you place it in a dock and it launches a car mode.

Even if you download a car mode app and have it launch when Bluetooth connects it won't return to that app when you press the home button. You will return to your normal home launcher. The icon for car mode still appears in the notification bar, but that's it.
Last edited by Dolmangar; November 29th, 2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Updated URL
Old November 29th, 2012, 09:28 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
Here it is. I could cut it down since I don't need it to be that big but I'm just lazy. Works super well even with the glass backing on the Nexus 4!

I ended up going for something like this until I can get a specific one. Its a universal holder with that sticky/rubber on the back. £5.95 off amazon.
I was a little worried about the sticky bit, would it hold? will it leave the phone sticky etc but after watching this video and reading reviews I think it will wok well for the time being.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Aah I don't know man. I want something more clean. Isn't that covering up the buttons on the head unit? Let me try and post a pic of my old setup.
I put the phone over the volume knob on the head unit cause I use the one on the steering wheel. The Pugoo is see through so I can still see whatever is on the screen.

steslatt: it holds it very well and doesn't leave any residue on anything. It's very handy and inexpensive.
spriteboost likes this.
Last edited by JunBringer; November 29th, 2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:31 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

where can i get that mat might have to look into that looks good
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:59 PM   #18 (permalink)

Purchase | UDS Products
Old December 1st, 2012, 12:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

pm sent !
Old December 2nd, 2012, 02:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 (stock), Nexus Galaxy (retired), Atrix (ret.), N1 (ret.), Magic (ret.), G1 (ret.)

Those wanting a ProClip could consider using the adjustable iPhone 3GS + case passive holder. I'm using it with my N4 (no case, awaiting bumper) on minimum adjustment.

There is some movement when cradled but the phone is stable and not going anywhere (unless I roll the car, in which case I've got bigger problems than a dropped phone ). I've got an official bumper on order which should be accommodated by the same holder.

sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkey View Post
Those wanting a ProClip could consider using the adjustable iPhone 3GS + case passive holder. I'm using it with my N4 (no case, awaiting bumper) on minimum adjustment.

There is some movement when cradled but the phone is stable and not going anywhere (unless I roll the car, in which case I've got bigger problems than a dropped phone ). I've got an official bumper on order which should be accommodated by the same holder.
Let me know once you get the bumper and how it fits. Can you provide a link to what you are using?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:30 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 (stock), Nexus Galaxy (retired), Atrix (ret.), N1 (ret.), Magic (ret.), G1 (ret.)

Quote:
Let me know once you get the bumper and how it fits. Can you provide a link to what you are using?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001KWZT80/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?redirect=true&ref_=wms_ohs_pr oduct

Will post back once I've got my official bumper.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:11 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks man! Just ordered it. Here is a link if anybody else in the states is interested. I'll update once I get it.

Apple iPhone 3G - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

This is just the holder, base is seperate.
Old December 9th, 2012, 12:10 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks man! Just ordered it. Here is a link if anybody else in the states is interested. I'll update once I get it.

Apple iPhone 3G - Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, Tablet, and Handheld Devices

This is just the holder, base is seperate.
So I got my holder today and it's AWESOME!! There are 4 thumb screws on the back that allow you to slide each side of the holder apart until you get the desired fit. Then simply tighten the the thumb screws and you are set. It fits exactly like my old N1 did except now I don't have to take off my case every time I want to dock it! It was such a joy to drive around tonight and be able to easily manipulate my phone/mp3 player/GPS. I highly recommend this set up to anyone that is considering it.
Last edited by Bob Loblaw1; December 9th, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old December 9th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Received my official bumper in Friday and have just finished checking the aforementioned holder as promised.

A slight width adjustment (using the thumbscrews) and it's a good snug fit. Much better than without actually.
Sorted
Bob Loblaw1 likes this.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:54 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7

After looking through tons of car mounts available online, I ended up ordering this:
Amazon.com: iOttie Easy Flex2 Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder Desk Stand for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC One X EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS Compact Siz

I also ordered this in hopes that it will work with the holder above. I don't trust suction cups.
Amazon.com: Arkon GN047 Removable Swivel Air Vent Mount for Garmin nuvi GPS: GPS & Navigation

I doubt google will come out with an official car dock. Firstly there is the problem that most people probably use cases (especially in the case of the glass nexus 4) that wouldn't be compatible with it. And then, they're already late with it so by the time they come out with the darned thing, we will be anticipating the next nexus.
lunatic59 likes this.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 12,259 Times in 6,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfrog13 View Post
After looking through tons of car mounts available online, I ended up ordering this:
Amazon.com: iOttie Easy Flex2 Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder Desk Stand for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC One X EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS Compact Siz

I also ordered this in hopes that it will work with the holder above. I don't trust suction cups.
Amazon.com: Arkon GN047 Removable Swivel Air Vent Mount for Garmin nuvi GPS: GPS & Navigation

I doubt google will come out with an official car dock. Firstly there is the problem that most people probably use cases (especially in the case of the glass nexus 4) that wouldn't be compatible with it. And then, they're already late with it so by the time they come out with the darned thing, we will be anticipating the next nexus.
I ordered the exact same one earlier today.

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
Old December 10th, 2012, 02:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mttfrog13 View Post

I normally don't trust suction cups either. I have a generic "heavy duty" mount that I use in my Jeep that works great and uses a suction cup. It is the only one I have found that can actually hold my phone without it falling out regardless of the terrain I'm on.

I would be shocked if there was an official dock for the phone. Nothing to do with cases or anything else, but the fact that there is no car mode in 4.2 means Google will probably never release an official dock.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s):

Google Nexus 4 by LG - YouTube

at 0:35 they have a car dock thing on xda they're thinking its going to be wireless charging also. To me looks like almost like the generic car mount but it would be released looks like by lg for the nexus 4. :O
JunBringer likes this.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:31 AM   #30 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.

The last car mount I purchased was the official Samsung dock for the SGS2 and that was a suction mount with a smooth coaster-like mounting pad. Of course I refuse to stick anything permanently to my dash. So, I found a PVC fitting about the same outside diameter as the inside diameter of the console cup holder. I put the smooth pat on that and keep it in the cup holder. It really works very well and that's where I intend to fit the new mount for the N4.
sponsored links
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:48 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

If i were to get one i'd get the ones that stick into the cigarette lighter from ebay it seems like those arn't in your view and you can reach well but that's me
in example
Bracketron USB Power Dock Pro Flex Car or Truck Mount for T Mobile LG Nexus 4 | eBay

but i don't use the gps enough to justify spending 30$ on it granted not that much just more of a novelty when i can just hold the phone and listen to it really lolz
Old December 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM   #32 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

My experience with these is that they eventually stretch out the socket and won't support the device any longer. I don't like them.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Got my iOttie today. I have to say I am very pleased.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121212_124053.jpg (97.0 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121212_124128.jpg (104.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121212_124144.jpg (103.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121212_124155.jpg (80.2 KB, 196 views)
Trooper and JunBringer like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunatic59 For This Useful Post:
Trooper (December 12th, 2012)
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Maxx
Carrier: Verizon

Looks tight man! I need to get one now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trooper For This Useful Post:
lunatic59 (December 12th, 2012)
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:28 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic59 View Post
Got my iOttie today. I have to say I am very pleased.
I like the look of that one. Have you got a link for the product, please? It's a different configuration than the iOttie at Amazon that was previously posted in this thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to hstroph For This Useful Post:
lunatic59 (December 12th, 2012)
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #36 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstroph View Post
I like the look of that one. Have you got a link for the product, please? It's a different configuration than the iOttie at Amazon that was previously posted in this thread.
Amazon.com: iOttie One-Touch Windshield Dashboard Car Mount Holder for iPhone 5 4S 4 3GS Samsung Galaxy S3 S2 Epic Touch 4G HTC OneX EVO 4G Rhyme DROID RAZR BIONIC INCREDIBLE 2 CHARGE Google Nexus BlackBerry Torch LG Revolution GPS Compact Size 360 d

Only $20.

Can't go wrong!
hstroph likes this.
hstroph (December 15th, 2012)
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s):

You guys looking for phone specific holders / mounts should realize that they nearly always never work when you have a case on it (I seem to remember a Motorola dock being the exception). You're almost always better off going with a universal type mount, imho, in case you change cases or phones.

Saying that, I'll post the one I used and recommend whenever these mount threads are posted:

Mobile Grip Removeable Sticky Dash & Console Mount

My girlfriend uses this mount with arkon's mega grip holder with her GS3. I used the pictured mobile grip; I like it's smaller footprint. If you plan on putting a thick case on the N4, take a look at the slimgrip, which is at the end of the video.

For $18 it's hard to beat.
Old December 28th, 2012, 12:27 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic59 View Post
Absolutely perfect for my Nexus 4 with bumper case. I have it in landscape on my dashboard where air bags aren't an issue
lunatic59 likes this.
Old March 1st, 2013, 02:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

Arkon has a new holder called the Slim-Grip Ultra. It works with pretty much everything; I've even used it with my Nexus 7. Here's a vid with the Nexus 4.

Slim-Grip® Ultra™ Mounts for Smartphones & Tablets

The mount in the vid is the SM678 Sticky dash & Windshield mount.
Old March 1st, 2013, 09:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7

I have a custom mount from a company called Kuda. They make them for specific car models. You can attach any clamp to it that you like, I went with what I could find at the store, with a little ingenuity. It's been working great for me so far, and it works regardless what phone I have, or if I want to use my GPS.

Link: KUDA USA, INC. - KUDA® car custom OEM leather mounts for mobile electronics

I hate windshield mounts, they basically advertise that you might have something techy in your car.

Anyway, here is mine currently. Click for bigger pics.

sponsored links
Old March 4th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #41 (permalink)

nixie21
Default car mount

anyone have a good one to recommend? cheaper is better as long as it is not a piece of junk.

thanks
Old March 4th, 2013, 04:08 PM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

Posted this in another car mount thread. Works with any case I can think of. $25.

Slim-Grip® Ultra™ Sticky Dashboard & Windshield Mount for Smartphones & Tablets (up to 8 in.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doyer For This Useful Post:
nixie21 (March 4th, 2013), pcdebb (March 23rd, 2013)
Old March 5th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s):

I got one of these for like 5 bucks. It works really well when stuck on the windscreen and feels surprisingly robust.

I saw the same thing but with a bit of rubber you could put on your dashboard to let it stick there - should have paid the extra $1 for that.
Old March 5th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

I always recommend Brodit. They have specific mounts for individual devices and ProClip for your specific car and mount location.

Not the cheapest but waaaaaaaaaaay better than generic mounts.
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
I got one of these for like 5 bucks. It works really well when stuck on the windscreen and feels surprisingly robust.

I saw the same thing but with a bit of rubber you could put on your dashboard to let it stick there - should have paid the extra $1 for that.
Can the phone be viewed in both portrait and landscape?
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooberandy View Post
Can the phone be viewed in both portrait and landscape?
Yup. And pretty much any angle in between: the grip has full 360 degree rotation.

Well, slight exageration: there are 'clicks' so it's not 'any' angle, but lots across the full 360 degrees.
Last edited by SiempreTuna; March 7th, 2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #47 (permalink)

Great, I've just ordered one. It looks like a great one
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s):

Cool!

I've only had it 6 weeks or so but I've been pretty happy with it.
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #49 (permalink)

Cant go wrong at that price!
Old March 7th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #50 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

*Threads merged*

iOttie

$20 US. Well worth it.

Last edited by lunatic59; March 7th, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
pcdebb (March 23rd, 2013)

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4