Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DroidDavi
  • 1 Post By Dolmangar
  • 1 Post By andrews317
  • 1 Post By Rxpert83

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Default Nexus 4 Redesign IS Inevitable, Will It Have 4G?

We know that the Nexus 4 and Optimus G share their processor due to that whole LTE (Band 4 only) thing.

However we ALSO know that the successor to the LG Optimus G is already in the works. (Lawl)

If the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G are sharing the same production line then won't that process have to be redone if the Optimus G2 uses a different processor? I guess they could just make that production line dedicated to the Nexus 4...

On a similar note do you guys think that sharing processors with the Optimus G is what is slowing production of this white hot phone?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: AT&T

There's no guarantee that Google will use LG for its next Nexus device. There may be no need to redesign the phone.
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdk2 View Post
There's no guarantee that Google will use LG for its next Nexus device. There may be no need to redesign the phone.
So are you suggesting this device will be discontinued after only a few months on the market?
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeXuS4 View Post
So are you suggesting this device will be discontinued after only a few months on the market?
The Nexus 4 will be the Google flagship for roughly one year. What he's saying is that, for the Nexus 5, there's a chance that LG isn't the manufacturer. So the 5 may not be based around the alleged Optimus G2, it could be based around whatever flagship device the selected OEM has at the time. Personally, I think they should stick with LG another go round, but it's too early to discuss anything yet. Also, it's highly unlikely that the 4 sees a mid cycle redesign. Where's the incentive for either Google or LG to do that?

Fortune Favors the Bold
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

I don't think we will see another Nexus device before a 1 year cycle for the Nexus 4 is complete. Google knew fully well what it meant to skip out on the 4G on the Nexus 4 and since the Optimus G and Nexus 4 share the same production line, they went out of their way NOT to have 4G. So I highly doubt they'll backtrack with a redesign.
Old November 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

Companies make more that 1 device at a time. I'm not sure why the new lg phone would stop the N4 from being made
aurora40 likes this.

@DroidDavi
Old November 27th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidDavi View Post
Companies make more that 1 device at a time. I'm not sure why the new lg phone would stop the N4 from being made
It seems the Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor used in both phones is made on the same assembly line and seemingly only that one assembly line.

What I'm suggesting is that Qualcomm may be having trouble keeping up with the orders and that they are responsible for shipping delays

Obviously this is pure speculation.
Old November 27th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DroidDavi View Post
This post makes me think about something: Since there is such high demand for the Nexus 4 and not so much for... well most anything else LG makes in this context, maybe they will realize that they should stick with stock android, or as close to that as possible. For Samsung they always sold buttloads of Galaxy devices but LG isn't anywhere near that level of success in the Android market. Just makes me think.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Anybody notice the date?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1354110387454.jpg (74.3 KB, 77 views)
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Rotor View Post
Anybody notice the date?
Oh crap my cover is blown (hops into phone booth to mt rotors grandfather)

Seriously wtf?
sponsored links
Old November 28th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Oh crap my cover is blown (hops into phone booth to mt rotors grandfather)

Seriously wtf?
???? Its on another topic too...is it a glitch?
Old November 28th, 2012, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
We know that the Nexus 4 and Optimus G share their processor due to that whole LTE (Band 4 only) thing.

However we ALSO know that the successor to the LG Optimus G is already in the works. (Lawl)

If the Nexus 4 and the Optimus G are sharing the same production line then won't that process have to be redone if the Optimus G2 uses a different processor? I guess they could just make that production line dedicated to the Nexus 4...

On a similar note do you guys think that sharing processors with the Optimus G is what is slowing production of this white hot phone?
i don't think that this means a redesign, and i think that being so similar to the optimus, achieves the opposite, allows google to make more at first, faster, for cheaper, as LG has used their factories to build optimus stock, and then can use that, to build nexus stock, and then when nexus hype slows down, cut those back and convert for future projects.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_patrick15 View Post
The Nexus 4 will be the Google flagship for roughly one year. What he's saying is that, for the Nexus 5, there's a chance that LG isn't the manufacturer. So the 5 may not be based around the alleged Optimus G2, it could be based around whatever flagship device the selected OEM has at the time. Personally, I think they should stick with LG another go round, but it's too early to discuss anything yet. Also, it's highly unlikely that the 4 sees a mid cycle redesign. Where's the incentive for either Google or LG to do that?
Google seems to be naming their nexus line in accordance to screen size, not release number. so the next nexus may not be called nexus 5. unless of course, they make a 5 inch phone. they may release a nexus 3 as well, which might be cool.

i think they will switch manufacturer again probably, and shadow another sort of device again, and use that to differentiate, instead of apple going iphone 4 iphone 5 forever, which they tried to stop with "the new ipad" and which is confusing.

google can do nexus one with htc, galaxy nexus with samsung, they went LG nexus 4, which changed things up a little samsung nexus 10, so, i am not sure how they will release next, maybe a samsung nexus 4. or an asus nexus 4. or transformer nexus 4 idk. but i think the next handset that will be intended to replace the current LG nexus 4, will be also named the nexus 4, or, they will have come up with some new strategy of sorts, but i think that is less likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmgeeks View Post
I don't think we will see another Nexus device before a 1 year cycle for the Nexus 4 is complete. Google knew fully well what it meant to skip out on the 4G on the Nexus 4 and since the Optimus G and Nexus 4 share the same production line, they went out of their way NOT to have 4G. So I highly doubt they'll backtrack with a redesign.
i think you're right about that, though, i could maybe see a nexus 3, or a nexus 4 32gb, or a nexus 4 white, or something like that, which will likely depend on demand, they sold a lot of galaxy s 3s, and a lot of iphones, and that's a large portion of the market on its own, and those are new, fewer people will buy the newer nexus if they already own one of those. i don't know how many phones google sold so far, but they seem to have sold a lot, and demand seems high, and there still seems to be a high demand for a nexus that this release didn't completely satisfy.

so, i don't consider it out of the realm of possibility, that sometime this spring, they release a new nexus 4, with a new color, and only in 16 and 32 gb variants, at the current price points, and potentially, releasing a nexus 3. but i think that is less likely. i think there is much more demand for larger phones than smaller phones, particularly from the demographic that would want a nexus phone, and that would order a non contract phone for that purpose. and also putting power in a smaller phone seems to me, would be more costly. so, i don't think it that likely that a nexus 3 is released. but a new nexus 4 with a color change and a larger storage capacity? i think that is a real possibility.
Last edited by batmandroid; November 28th, 2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

possibly an lte added or change the back also from glass if to many have problems with it. Only way i see LTE in coming to a google phone would be carriers not being able to control the device and only google controlling it still sad to me that this even an option we bought the device we should be easily able to do what we want :P
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
The PearlyMon

Device(s): M8, LTEvo, 3vo, and Shift - Evo retired
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 57,190 Times in 22,981 Posts

Quote:
It seems the Qualcomm Snapdragon Processor used in both phones is made on the same assembly line and seemingly only that one assembly line.

What I'm suggesting is that Qualcomm may be having trouble keeping up with the orders and that they are responsible for shipping delays

Obviously this is pure speculation.
Qualcomm products are in high demand and earlier this year they started working to expand suppliers.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6095/qualcomm-shows-off-apq8064-quadcore-krait-and-adreno-320

Minutus cantorum, minutus balorum, minutus carborata descendum pantorum.

Links: Site Rules / Guidelines -and- Zero Tolerance Policy (All Members Read)

For right-on help, the Thanks button is on the right of the post.
For anything out in left field, the /!\ report button is to the left.

Remember, it's our forums and we're all in this together - so let's keep it cool!

Shoot the breeze at the best new gun forum!
The Following User Says Thank You to EarlyMon For This Useful Post:
Crashdamage (November 30th, 2012)
Old November 28th, 2012, 07:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
The PearlyMon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Rotor View Post
Anybody notice the date?
That's a known tapatalk bug. Refresh often clears it, otherwise, clear cache.
Rxpert83 (December 2nd, 2012)
Old November 29th, 2012, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus V Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7.0+ HTC Evo V (Rooted/S-Off) HTC WildFire S Google Nexus 4

With Google having Motorola they may stay in house or may keep shadowing other companies products line for the nexus line. It really depends on what Google is going to do. Do they want to keep the nexus as a showcase device while Motorola is there mass production company? Who knows, way too early to tell right now. Plus with the Google/Dish Network talks and Google looking at the LTE spectrum and the White Space spectrum Google may keep everything in house.

But the possibilities are just too tempting right now not to speculate.
Old November 29th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 Nexus One HTC Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyMon View Post
That's a known tapatalk bug. Refresh often clears it, otherwise, clear cache.
It's more fun to think that he's a time traveler.
EarlyMon likes this.
Old November 29th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32 GB

I would love next Nexus to be made by Sony.
JunBringer likes this.
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I'd enjoy that as well. Hopefully they have something to offer to entice Google.
sponsored links
Old November 29th, 2012, 05:49 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Judging by Google's apparent massive supply shortage and the cancellation of launches of the N4 in Belgium and the Netherlands due to the demand itself, I find it highly unlikely an LTE version is anywhere on the horizon. It seems LG just doesn't have the capacity to pump out the phones and making several different versions is probably not likely at this point.
Old November 30th, 2012, 12:04 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrews317 View Post
I would love next Nexus to be made by Sony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JunBringer View Post
I'd enjoy that as well. Hopefully they have something to offer to entice Google.
i don't want to sound rude, cause i don't mean it that way, but why?

the camera would probably be good. i'm not sure about the rest.

for the next nexus phone, if google chooses another company, i think the main deciding factor will be the flagship phone of that company, and the price at which they can produce phones with the priorities google cares about.

i'm personally not that fussy about what company makes the nexus as long as it holds up. it's hard to know how much is google and how much is the other company as well for me. sony might be cool, i'm just interested as to why one might have a preference for sony.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:21 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph (MTDEV-CM7) Google Nexus 4
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Quick question, thought the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE, does it have standard 4g? Or anything above/faster than 3g?
Old December 2nd, 2012, 09:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)

Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012),Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosophobia View Post
Quick question, thought the Nexus 4 doesn't have LTE, does it have standard 4g? Or anything above/faster than 3g?
The Nexus 4 has HSPA+ 42
Old December 2nd, 2012, 10:20 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

People confuse 4g as it being the most important thing of a phone all it is data for web browsing,etc,..if you can afford a "4g" phone you can afford a WiFi connection for the house, so you don't use data...
Old December 2nd, 2012, 12:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Motorola Photon 4G (2.3.4 w/root)
Carrier: T-Mobile, Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prosophobia View Post
Remember that what everyone is calling "4G" these days is a misnomer, even LTE. True 4G as defined by the various standards won't arrive until carriers begin rolling out LTE Advanced or WiMax2. HSPA+ 42, WiMax, and LTE are all FauxG.

Motorola
- Kickapoo word for "broken promise."
The Following User Says Thank You to Citizen Coyote For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:03 PM   #27 (permalink)
The PearlyMon

At the time the first 4G phone was released, the WiMax Evo 4G, that was the proposed 4G spec.

The FauxG moniker, while fun, is true and it's not.

Because the spec target moved during build-our, the ITU standards body that governs use of the term, ruled in December 2010 that US technologies of WiMax, LTE and HSPA+ are still 4G, but moving forward, only LTE Advanced and WiMax 2 would be 4G.

True HD was invented first in the blogosphere and adopted later, just like True HDTV.
alfick3 (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 01:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5

Thanked 12,570 Times in 7,251 Posts

I'd like to see it go back to HTC.

And I don't think there's any way Google calls its next nexus device the nexus 4. That would be way too confusing in an already confusing android lineup.

Manufacturers need a new way of naming their devices. Adding 4g, LTE, HD, ect after an already present device name isn't the way to go.
EarlyMon likes this.
Last edited by Rxpert83; December 2nd, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (December 2nd, 2012)
Old December 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM   #29 (permalink)

I am only asking because I have virgin mobile right now, and the 3g is terribly slow. I'm switching to tmobile, and I want something more than just 3g.
Old December 2nd, 2012, 07:33 PM   #30 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

T mobile doesn't have 4g lte, but their hspa+ is speedy enough.
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:34 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
T mobile doesn't have 4g lte, but their hspa+ is speedy enough.
I know they don't have LTE, but their thing is called "monthly 4g" is hspa+ their "4g"?
The Following User Says Thank You to Prosophobia For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (December 3rd, 2012)
Old December 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM   #32 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Yes that's what they call 4g
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:00 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Yes that's what they call 4g
Oh, okay! Thanks a lot. Sorry for the confusion.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 08:22 AM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus V Samsung Galaxy Tablet 7.0+ HTC Evo V (Rooted/S-Off) HTC WildFire S Google Nexus 4

I use T-Mobile's hot spot for my laptop and comparing the speeds of T-Mobile to Virgin Mobile is night and day. VM got anywhere from 200kbps upto 1mbps, T-mo on the other hand is getting 2 to 4mbps thru out the day. Also my VM hot spot had to be as close to a window as possible to get a clean, stable signal. T-mo hot spot does not care, just turn it on where ever and it works.

Gaming over Virgin Mobile hot spot was at times painful,anywhere close to sundown and it went to slow motion. So far have not had that problem with T-mo.

Have not activated my Nexus 4 thru T-mo so I hope this comparison of hot spots will help instead.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4