Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Google Voice + Nexus 4 = SMS Integration?

I've ordered my Nexus 4 and am waiting for it to arrive (got in on the second round), but before it arrives, I've been researching my options for porting my number. I've been a Verizon customer for a long time and would very much like to keep my number; I'd really like to port it to to Google Voice, but the lack (or what I previously thought was a lack) of full SMS integration for the Google Voice number and the native SMS app on the phone has left me questioning this move.

As I look around some of the forums and sites on the internet, however, people are reporting that the Nexus 4 "solves" this. People are reporting the ability to receive SMS messages into the native app/Handcent/etc. (which has seemed to be available for a while now via Google Voice account settings) BUT ALSO create messages in their favorite SMS app and send them as if it's coming from their Google Voice number...

Can anyone with a Nexus 4 confirm this? I know that calling is pretty much 100% integrated (calls can originate from the phone/OS dialer as if they're coming from the Google Voice number), but I've figured that, even with my new Nexus 4, SMSing from my Google Voice number would have to be via the Google Voice app (which I've used but don't really like)...

Any feedback on this would be most appreciated -- like I said, I'd love to port my Verizon number straight to Google Voice and be done with it, once and for all! Thanks in advance for any replies...

sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I'm sure you can probably port your number to Google Voice but the only way I know to fully integrate is to be on Sprint, and their network doesn't support the Nexus 4. Since this is a phone straight from Google you would think that they have a way to do this though, I just haven't heard of it being done yet.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:56 AM   #3 (permalink)
That guy is This

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

You can change the settings in Google Voice to use either the Default Messaging app or the GOogle Voice application. I choose to just use Google Voice so that I don't accidentally send a text from my new ATT number which I don't pay for texting on.
Old December 4th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,163 Posts

I can confirm it works fine. I use my GV number for everything and only use my stock messaging app (unless I have wifi but no cell signal, then I use the GV app)
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Well...I received my Nexus 4 and have been testing with it -- it would appear that it doesn't work for me.

Receiving a text message at my GV number is fine (after I checked the proper box in my online Google Voice settings), but if I go an create a new text message (not replying to one that I've already received), it still shows it coming from my SIM's number, not my GV number.

Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna have to port my number to StraightTalk -- there still doesn't appear to be a way to create text messages in the stock messaging app that look like they're coming from the GV number.
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDavidKeith View Post
Well...I received my Nexus 4 and have been testing with it -- it would appear that it doesn't work for me.

Receiving a text message at my GV number is fine (after I checked the proper box in my online Google Voice settings), but if I go an create a new text message (not replying to one that I've already received), it still shows it coming from my SIM's number, not my GV number.

Unfortunately, I think I'm gonna have to port my number to StraightTalk -- there still doesn't appear to be a way to create text messages in the stock messaging app that look like they're coming from the GV number.
It works, but it requires a little set up. When someone texts your GV number, look at that message in your stock messaging app. You will notice it comes from a random phone number you don't recognize. Add THAT number to the contact the message came from (I labeled mine GV texting number) and when you send a message to that contact from the stock messaging app, send the SMS to THAT number. It will show as your GV number to the recipient.
Old December 10th, 2012, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
That guy is This

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlswltrs View Post
It works, but it requires a little set up. When someone texts your GV number, look at that message in your stock messaging app. You will notice it comes from a random phone number you don't recognize. Add THAT number to the contact the message came from (I labeled mine GV texting number) and when you send a message to that contact from the stock messaging app, send the SMS to THAT number. It will show as your GV number to the recipient.
Seriously? That's what you have to do? Yuck. I'm glad that I just use the GV Application.
Old December 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thats View Post
Seriously? That's what you have to do? Yuck. I'm glad that I just use the GV Application.
Yeah the GV application to start a conversation is the easiest. Once a conversation is started you can easily reply like normal with the stock SMS app and the recipient will just see you GV number. Kind of a PITA. GV integration is really the only thing I miss about Sprint.
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph (CM7 G60 Style and CM9 Alpha), Nexus 7 4.1.1 Stock+Rooted

Follow the SMS integration at the bottom of the OP in this thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=29219003

It's exactly what you need.
Last edited by shiv81; December 10th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 03:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am also a fellow Nexus 4 owner and I use an app called Google Voice SMS Integration (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mdrtools.apps.gvintegration&feature =search_result#?t=W10) which does what the title implies. It works, however, I don't get a notification in the native app. I sent the developer an email but he has yet to and probably won't respond. Other than that everything works. When I used it on my G2X it was flawless. Hope this helps.
Last edited by lilhops; December 21st, 2012 at 03:22 PM.
sponsored links
Old December 22nd, 2012, 01:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrlswltrs View Post
This really isn't that big of a deal, as long as you don't often delete text messages... if you don't delete, you'll never have to worry about making sure you text the GV number again, the thread will be there already.

Where it is really problematic is the lack of (or inconsistent) MMS. Although, lately I've experienced issues sending MMS via GO. I tend to have to go into stock messages and send it.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Tags
google voice, nexus 4

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4