Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default transfer apps to new phone

The app backup/restore software apps Ive seen backup to and restore from sd card.

What have you guys found to be the most effective way to transfer our apps from our old phones to our Nexus 4? Anything more efficient than installing 1 at a time from 'my android apps' at Google play?

sponsored links
Old December 10th, 2012, 09:43 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 12,256 Times in 6,736 Posts

I tend to always install fresh, especially when the new device is running a new version of Android. I've found Appbrain.com to be really helpful in putting large groups of apps on a new device. If i set it up on the old phone and sync it, i can then push the same group of apps to the new device in one shot.

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
The Following User Says Thank You to lunatic59 For This Useful Post:
alfick3 (December 10th, 2012)
Old December 10th, 2012, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Motion 4G
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatic59 View Post
I tend to always install fresh, especially when the new device is running a new version of Android. I've found Appbrain.com to be really helpful in putting large groups of apps on a new device. If i set it up on the old phone and sync it, i can then push the same group of apps to the new device in one shot.
Thanks for that info. I'll have to remember that app when it comes time to get a new phone.
Old December 10th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
So, considering Id be going from my Samsung Epic 4g (samsung galaxy s1) to my Nexus 4, a jump from Android 2.3 to 4.2, would you suggest using Google Play - MyAndroidApps and install one at a time, fresh, or, gang install them using Appbrain?
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1 (retired), Nook Color, Asus Transformer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostm3 View Post
So, considering Id be going from my Samsung Epic 4g (samsung galaxy s1) to my Nexus 4, a jump from Android 2.3 to 4.2, would you suggest using Google Play - MyAndroidApps and install one at a time, fresh, or, gang install them using Appbrain?
You can still use appbrain and if there are any that aren't compatible it will just reject them.
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
You can still use appbrain and if there are any that aren't compatible it will just reject them.
Does appbrain reinstall them on the new device? Any decent way to move the contents of the memos that have been written and stored on the old device?

Thanks, btw, for the help!
Old December 12th, 2012, 08:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
I was on their site, looking for a way to do this, but then ran across this:

"If you then sync your new phone again, all your old apps should show up as "to be installed". You can then easily go through the market and install them all. (Note that the Google market doesn't allow us to do batch installs)."

If this is the case, why is this any different than using MyAndroidApps at google play and installing from there, 1 at a time?
Old December 12th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

That must have changed recently Appbrain used to be able to push apps to your phone like the Play store does now.
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Maxx
Carrier: Verizon

In theory the Play Store should restore all of your apps when you login for the first time on a new device.

If it does not work then log into the Play Store in your web browser and push them that way. You will of course lose any saved game info (if you game on your device).

I would not recommend using TIBU and copying from one device to another as you will likely have data corruption (or the chance of it).
Old December 12th, 2012, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): HTC One (S-Off), HTC Desire (retired)
Carrier: Orange UK

Thanked 4,759 Times in 3,460 Posts

That may depend on your settings. There's an option to let Google back up your data (in Privacy on Gingerbread, but I think it may have moved in later versions), and if that is unset I don't think it does that. At any rate it doesn't for me after a reset, though I seem to remember it doing so once when I left that on by mistake.
sponsored links

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4