Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 28th, 2012, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: T-Mobile

Notsure Can't install security certificate

Hey Guys,

I posted the earlier, piggy-backed on another thread, and didn't get any responses. Thought I'd try it out here.

I have a Nexus 4 with Jellybean 4.2.1 - no root. I exported a websites' security certificate from my PC (using Chrome) then moved the .cer (X509 DER) file to the root folder on my "SD" card. I went into settings/security/install from storage. I get a pop-up identifying the certificate available to install. I click install and it says "install complete". Then I go into "Trusted Credentials" and the new certificate isn't there in the "System" or "User" installed certificates.

I tried an application called "Android Certificate Installer" from the Play Store and it didn't help.

While I can still browse the website, I can't download files from it. I tried the process after uninstalling my launcher (Nova) and security apps (AVG and Lookout) and it didn't help.

I did this process with my Motorola Droid X with Gingerbread (2.3.6) several months ago and it worked without incident.

Any ideas for a fix? Anyone have this problem? Has anyone successfully installed user certificates on their Nexus 4?

sponsored links
Old December 28th, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): nexus 4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalot View Post
Hey Guys,

I posted the earlier, piggy-backed on another thread, and didn't get any responses. Thought I'd try it out here.

I have a Nexus 4 with Jellybean 4.2.1 - no root. I exported a websites' security certificate from my PC (using Chrome) then moved the .cer (X509 DER) file to the root folder on my "SD" card. I went into settings/security/install from storage. I get a pop-up identifying the certificate available to install. I click install and it says "install complete". Then I go into "Trusted Credentials" and the new certificate isn't there in the "System" or "User" installed certificates.

I tried an application called "Android Certificate Installer" from the Play Store and it didn't help.

While I can still browse the website, I can't download files from it. I tried the process after uninstalling my launcher (Nova) and security apps (AVG and Lookout) and it didn't help.

I did this process with my Motorola Droid X with Gingerbread (2.3.6) several months ago and it worked without incident.

Any ideas for a fix? Anyone have this problem? Has anyone successfully installed user certificates on their Nexus 4?
did you check settings/security check mark unknown source just a thought.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: T-Mobile

Confused Working now - good enough - solution:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppaul1219 View Post
did you check settings/security check mark unknown source just a thought.
Yes. I had that checked when I was trying the install. Thanks for the idea to check the unknown sources.

The problem is fixed, however, I'm not completely happy with the solution. For some reason, it didn't work when I tried installing the certificate for the website. I had to install the root certificate for it to work. I'm not happy with this because maybe that means other websites are also going to be considered secure since I have the root certificate. Anyone know if this is true?
Old January 2nd, 2013, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): nexus 4
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by popalot View Post
Yes. I had that checked when I was trying the install. Thanks for the idea to check the unknown sources.

The problem is fixed, however, I'm not completely happy with the solution. For some reason, it didn't work when I tried installing the certificate for the website. I had to install the root certificate for it to work. I'm not happy with this because maybe that means other websites are also going to be considered secure since I have the root certificate. Anyone know if this is true?
No problem glad to hear you got it somewhat fixed.
Old January 5th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Atrix 4G Nokia N900
Carrier: Not Provided

Any other site with a certificate signed by the same root CA will also be trusted. Was the signer at least a known certificate authority (with a reputation to uphold)?

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Tags
cer, certificate, credentials, der, jelly, nexus, security, x509

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4