Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SiempreTuna

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 4th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Default Nexus 4: A Case Study in How Far a Product Can Go With No Advertisement

Has there ever been a product in the modern history of capitalism that has come as far as the nexus 4 with no advertising campaign?

I'm just curious because if you think about how much Samsung and Apple spend on advertising for their respective products I can't help but feel that Google has accomplished something extraordinary with this device.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 4th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 / HTC Evo V 3D / Acer Iconia a200
Carrier: Straight Talk / Virgin Mobile

I'll be a Nexus 4 owner shortly, but I have to say that I just happened across it while searching out a new phone for the new year. I'm a heavy Android user and lover but tend to stick to reading and understanding the phone I have so I don't get caught up in the next best thing all the time. I was looking at prepaid options on a few sites and then just randomly saw the Nexus 4 on Google Play a few days ago. I've spent days, far too much time, watching videos, reading reviews, reading this forum and decided it was the phone for me.

I can't wait to get my hands on it, I'm going for the 16gb version. I'm coming from a low-end prepaid option in the Motorola Triumph, I expect it to be leaps and bounds above where I'm at currently!

Any way, just wanted to reiterate that I only found the phone by digging around a bit (though it's easy to find out about if you current any phone site really I found..), it didn't pop up in an advertisement during one of my favorite shows. I think it's extremely popular for a reason and IS a feat that it's made such waves, I can't wait to ride them with the rest of the N4 crew!
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I actually think they will have to rewrite the marketing textbooks to at least mention this phenomenon. I mean there is no freaking telling how much money Samsung spent on that Super Bowl ad last night.
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Done by choice

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,658 Posts

There has been advertising though! Advertising through the play store, sending out demo units. Even traditional "commercials" have been done for it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kelmar For This Useful Post:
EarlyMon (February 4th, 2013)
Old February 4th, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelmar View Post
There has been advertising though! Advertising through the play store, sending out demo units. Even traditional "commercials" have been done for it.

Obviously I never intended to insinuate that Google has done NOTHING to promote the device but compared to the other players it might as well be nothing.

Also what commercials? I have yet to see any unless you're counting those web videos LG made?
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 5

Why are you trying to hype this up? It's a good phone, not revolutionary. Maybe you can at least keep the N4 worshiping to one thread
Old February 4th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

They do print ads at the Annapolis Mall in Maryland as well. I see what you're saying though, it's very interesting. When Apple launches a new iPhone they don't really advertise it until later though so it's kind of common now.
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Ohseven- obviously you are entitled to your opinion but these boards are no place for unwarranted personal attacks.

If you don't like a thread don't post there or if you would rather talk about something we are not talking about them start a new thread.

Anyway I think considering the nexus has been pretty much word of mouth it's pretty amazing it's come this far. Also a lot of the success can be attributed to the various technology blogs which can never get enough info on the thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to NeXuS4 For This Useful Post:
yfan (February 14th, 2013)
Old February 4th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

I did not know this phone existed until I borrowed my buds Nexus One to use out of the country and as a transitional phone while I move away from Sprint to a GSM based phone. I liked the speed and the pure android of the Nexus One so I did a search to see what the current Nexus device is and that brought me to the Nexus 4 which was out of stock forever lol.

I'll be purchasing a Nexus 4 this month.
Old February 5th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm not sure the marketing was entirely revolutionary as it did involve lots of priming of tech media (though the definition of media was probably broader than is traditional). I know I heard of the phone via tech websites who had been invited to presentation, given phones etc. These are all fairly standard marketing techniques.

I don't recall much TV/Print/Billboard advertising for previous Nexus phones which I believe is because Google feel they can't go head to head with the other manufacturers who are, in many ways, their 'customers'.

Judging by the stock issues, I don't think Google expected this phone to be quite as popular as it has been. In my view, they totally underestimated the price sensitivity in the market.
sponsored links
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

If you compare it to other normal cellphones then I say it's pretty normal.

What I'm comparing it to though is the heavy hitters (GS3, iPhone, Droids)

Compared to them advertising for the nexus has been inconsequential to say the least.
Old February 5th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S4 (i9505), Nexus 7 (OG)
Carrier: Three

Samsung do hardly any advertising in the UK yet the GS3 still outsold the iPhone 5 over here. I'd say that's more impressive.
Old February 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Err .. at least around London, Samsung have been running a TV advertising campaign for the S3 since before it even came out. Admittedly, the adverts are terrible and totally unmemorable (I recall a girl taking a picture and little else), but they have definitely been running 'em.
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
Err .. at least around London, Samsung have been running a TV advertising campaign for the S3 since before it even came out. Admittedly, the adverts are terrible and totally unmemorable (I recall a girl taking a picture and little else), but they have definitely been running 'em.
Have they? I've not seen a single ad for the GS3 and I'm in London and watch TV all the time.
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

This thread has gone completely off the rails…
Old February 6th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s):

Turns out there were a few, all equally forgetable e.g.

[GALAXY S III] Official TV Commercial - YouTube
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
Turns out there were a few, all equally forgetable e.g.

[GALAXY S III] Official TV Commercial - YouTube
They can't have actually aired them at much because I don't recognise that at all.

Either way, they should air the American ads over here, especially the Apple bashing one. I reckon the British audience will connect with them since we have just as many Apple fanboys as the US
Old February 6th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

The "Next Big Thing is Already Here" Campaign famously started during last year's Super Bowl.
Old February 6th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32 GB

In a third world country like the one I live people just knows two great phones: the iPhone and "smartphone". The iPhones were introduced strongly when the 4 came out. Then, last year the GS3 was introduced as "the best smartphone out there" on every advertisement, so people related the GS3 as "the smartphone". It's ridiculous taking out my N4 and people thinking it's a GS3 because of the size.

So advertisement does makes a difference. I don't expect people knowing my N4 because it's not even sold here. I had to ask a friend to buy it at the US and ship it to me. But I had an HTC Inspire last year and people didn't even knew what HTC was. I had to constantly explain that HTC was a celphone brand and that there were tons of Android devices different from "the smartphone".
Motorola Talkabout - Motorola Vulcan - Sony Ericsson T220 - Sony Ericsson T610 - Motorola V500 - Motorola V3 - HTC Touch - Nokia 5320 - Nokia E63 - LG GW550 - iPhone 3GS - HTC Inspire 4G - Nokia Lumia 610 - Motorola Atrix 4G - Apple iPad 2 - Galaxy Note 1 - Nokia Lumia 900 - LG Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 - Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Old February 6th, 2013, 06:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

While that is a fascinating anecdote the main areas we are discussing pertain to North America, Brazil, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand , Japan, and most of Europe.

Not dismissing your experience mind you, it's just not relevant on a global scale.
sponsored links
Old February 11th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

Matthias Duarte did that interview with Josh Topolsky on theverge before the release of N4, N10, and Android 4.2. i agree that's not nearly the scale of Apple/Samsung, but that was some very smart marketing to the tech enthusiast/blog reading crowd. that interview got me really excited:
Inside Android's next wave: Building the Nexus 4, Nexus 10, and Android 4.2 | The Verge
Old February 11th, 2013, 05:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5

Google airs Nexus 4 commercial showing off Google Now during the Grammys - Pocket-lint

Looks like they're stepping it up a notch.

Shame they're concentrating on Google Now. I find it to be a complete waste of time and a battery drainer. I have it disabled.
Old February 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

I guess that's because it's a USP in a crowded market. One of the reasons Apple made such a fuss about Siri (strange how they've gone so quiet on that recently ..)
big_mike likes this.
Old February 13th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One

Default No Press About Nexus 4?

I am constantly reading about the latest hot sales of Apple iPhone and Samsung Galaxy III, but hear very little about the Nexus 4?

If you keep up with sales of the Nexus 4 phone, Google and T-Mobile are having problems keeping the phone in stock since it's such a hot seller.

Why don't we hear this news outside of Nexus 4 owners?
Old February 13th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecc View Post
Google airs Nexus 4 commercial showing off Google Now during the Grammys - Pocket-lint

Shame they're concentrating on Google Now. I find it to be a complete waste of time and a battery drainer. I have it disabled.
I'm glad they aired that during a popular program. I'd like people to get on board here.
Old February 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecc View Post

The fact of the matter is though that Siri sold the iPhone 4S and everyone knows it. Also the typical American consumer has shown themselves to be too stupid to understand that $300 for a super phone is a great deal -_-
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

To be fair to the great unwashed, you had to be very well informed to be able to get a hold of one until pretty recently. It's not obvious how you sign up for a reminder from Google when they get stock. I don't actually remember how I managed it - I guess I was logged into my Google account or something.
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:36 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

To be fair, Apple watching is an industry in itself and new versions of the GSIII seem to come out every other week.

There was quite a bit of coverage in the more techie end of the press back when the N4 was released and then a bit about the supply shortages. There hasn't been much since then, but it's hard to fault the press for no coverage when nothing much is happening.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:59 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Tech blog sites posted up a lot when the N4 went back on sale. And with the release of the Orb and 4.2.2, the N4 continues to be posted about on those sites. Not to mention the Google Now tv commercial featuring the Nexus 4.

It hasn't received the CNN news coverage that the iPhone normally gets, but I don't think Google needs it to.
Old February 15th, 2013, 04:44 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC hero, desire one and one M8 now returned.Asus Transformer, Samsung gs2 and s4 Asus Transformer,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Phonez View Post
They can't have actually aired them at much because I don't recognise that at all.

Either way, they should air the American ads over here, especially the Apple bashing one. I reckon the British audience will connect with them since we have just as many Apple fanboys as the US
Samsung have put loads of ads out for the s3. The main one on tv was at a wedding. I saw this even though I fast forward through ads on the tv. They also sponsored a sporting event last summer in London and gave away a shed load of free devices. They go for an awful lot of subliminal advertising.

Does anyone know how many nexus 4's (nexi) have been sold. Or is it just very poor supply by LG? Giving the impression of a high demand? In any case most people who have an android device know that Google have made a device for the last 4 years. They have until now always been the poorer relation to the top end devices. However I am sure the N4 will be when the new breed of phones are announced in the up coming weeks.

I got an N4 purely for the fast updates. I am now tempted by the new Sony handset but know I would get frustrated as I wait for firmware updates from Sony.
sponsored links
Old February 15th, 2013, 05:12 PM   #31 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

They underestimated demand. Not really too hard to imagine since all the other nexus series phones barely made a dent in the market.
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

I agree - I don't think that many Nexus 4s have been sold, it's just a lot more than Google expected.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4