Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SemeteryRocker

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32 GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Default To case or not to case.

I'm on a huge dilemma right now. I've always used cases on my phones because I use them a lot for work and pulling it out of my pocket so constantly increases the chance of dropping it. I dropped my old Inspire a few times and the hard case it had protected it so well that after a year it barely had any scratches.

With my N4 it has not been the exception. I purchased a soft case during my waiting time and I recently bought a hard case. Yesterday, I was having problems with the screen not going on during a phonecall after I removed it from my ear. I've read somewhere else that this happens because the case may be blocking the proximity sensor, so I removed the case and it worked. I had to do a lot of phone calls during the day so I kept it naked. Now it's been three days and I just love the look of it naked.

The main problem is my fear to drop it and scratch/crack the body or even the screen. Any advices?

Advertisements
Motorola Talkabout - Motorola Vulcan - Sony Ericsson T220 - Sony Ericsson T610 - Motorola V500 - Motorola V3 - HTC Touch - Nokia 5320 - Nokia E63 - LG GW550 - iPhone 3GS - HTC Inspire 4G - Nokia Lumia 610 - Motorola Atrix 4G - Apple iPad 2 - Galaxy Note 1 - Nokia Lumia 900 - LG Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 - Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
sponsored links
Old February 7th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Done by choice

Device(s):

Thanked 4,784 Times in 2,658 Posts

I'm a case guy myself. I rarely (only once in 17 years of owning cell phones - it was from about 45 feet in the air) have dropped a phone but I've often bumped into things enough where an all glass phone is a worry.

I recently got Seidio's Surface and Active Case/Holster Combo. I'm MUCH happier with them than I was with a TPU or slim case.

Worth looking into IMO.
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm a complete doofus with phones and drop them all the time. Usually. For some reason, I've managed to avoid dropping my N4 more than a couple of times .. so far.

Reports that a drop of a couple of feet can shatter the back of an N4 does make you think that the decision to use glass was a really dreadful design decision - surely it can't possibly be 'fit for purpose'.

Having said that, I don't have a case for my N4, mostly because it's big enough already without adding a case. I left the plastic it shipped with on the front and rear, but I don't see that providing much protection. A case really would be a good idea, if you find one that gave decent protection without adding too much bulk.
Old February 8th, 2013, 04:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): motorola xoom 2 ME, Samsung galaxy S3 (blue), Nexus 4
Carrier: 3

Default Re: To case or not to case.

If you feel you will drop it then I'd say keep using your case and get a pin to put a hole on the case were the proximity sensor is. That way calls will be fine and you want have to worry about breaking it.
Old February 8th, 2013, 06:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7

I got a very very very cheap case on Ebay and the proximity sensor works just fine - tested it using my home phone. It's a hard-ish rubber one that covers the back and sides.
Old February 8th, 2013, 07:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32 GB

The first case I used on my N4 was working fine with the proximity sensor. Then I tried the hard case and it was doing well, but after a few days I had the problem with the proximity sensor.

My first solution would be going back to the first case I had, but my main problem is not the proximity sensor, it's how sexy it looks without a case. I guess I will try to keep it in a case while at work that's when I use it the most and leave it naked at home, just like myself XD.
Old February 8th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

There are cases that do not interfere with the proximity sensor - primarily because they do not cover the top of the phone. A Ringke SLIM hard case - which I use - is one example.
Old February 8th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I haven't dropped my Nexus 4 once. I don't use a case and I baby it whenever I hold it. It's either in my hand or in my pocket 90% of the time. Despite all that the back still has a fair amount of scratches as well as the chrome band surrounding the phone. If you care about the pristine appearance of the phone a case is a must.
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): TMobile Nexus 4 16GB, Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, HTC EVO Design 4g
Carrier: TMobile

I feel the same way. Absolutely love the look and feel of the nexus 4, but always used cases. This is my first phone I've gotten while it was still high end, so I still need some protection. Also, I wear jeans a lot, so there's always the risk of scratching against a metal tab or button, or something of the sort. So what I decided is to get a bumper (I went with the yellow poetic bumper) and a front and back invisible shield. I always go with them despite the texture because I'm friends with and support the chairman and former president, and I trust their product and product warranty.
Old February 9th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 / HTC Evo V 3D / Acer Iconia a200
Carrier: Straight Talk / Virgin Mobile

I love the look of the Nexus, but I am paranoid as well. Haha. I, too, am for the first time using a high-end phone while it's still actually that. I've always ended up getting phones when they were toward the lower end of the spectrum.

Any which way, I bought the ballistic case. It is mega-heavy duty. They have a video on their site of dropping an iphone in their case multiple times onto a concrete street and it's 100% still intact with no scratches. Figure it can't hurt to protect my phone where a warranty isn't.

Check it out: LG Nexus 4 Ballistic Shell Gel SG Series Case | goballisticcase.com

You can find it for a better price than that, I got it for 21 something with better shipping.
andrews317 likes this.
sponsored links
Old February 9th, 2013, 10:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Since the OG Droid, I have owned a used Fascinate and now this is my second brand new phone. I bought a bumper and front and back screen protectors because I wanted to keep it in pristine condition, but it took all of 6 hours (same with the Droid) before they were off and now I'm using the phone naked in all of its glory. It might be different for someone that buys and sells new phones all the time and wants to keep the value up, but I plan on having this phone for at least a year and will be able to sell it for at least $200 when the next Nexus comes out even if it has cosmetic wear. Basically, this is a $350 phone that I plan on keeping so I might as well enjoy it naked while I have it. You really REALLY can't beat the looks and feel of this phone naked and it's a shame to cover it up.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Tags
case, nexus 4

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4