Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Like Tree16Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 25th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #101 (permalink)

Device(s): N1, Atrix(dead), Skyrocket, HTC-ONE X (returned), GNex AOKP, N4 AOKP
Carrier: ATT

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3

Updated to the official AOKP build 4 and that apparently fixed the "jingle" when putting phone on the orb. I hear it now and that makes me happy knowing the phone is correctly placed and charging.

As long as my future phones use the same QI charging method then I think its worth it to get. Otherwise, just save your money and plug the phone in.
JunBringer likes this.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #102 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Rotor View Post
Is it worth it now that you all have used it?
In the longrun it'll depend on how many phones come out with Qi charging built in. If they come out with a new back for my Note 2 it'll automatically be worth it for me, but I think I'll be happy either way.
Old March 4th, 2013, 03:27 AM   #103 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, 7 & 10 Galaxy Nexus, Nexus S, Nexus One, Transformer Prime
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKeditor View Post
Mine died. Worked great on Friday. Came to the office today....dead. Google is giving me an RMA.
I wrote that back on the 18th of February. I'm still trying to get an RMA. this is an epic fail in customer service. I don't want a replacement anymore. This process has stolen all joy. A perfect lesson on how to lose customer loyalty.
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #104 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph (Retired) Samsung Galaxy S2 (Retired) LG Nexus 4 (Using)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Send a message via Skype™ to striker325

I just ordered the google charging orb and I would like to ask if I get a ringke slim case for the phone will it still be able to "stick" onto the orb?
Old March 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM   #105 (permalink)

Device(s):

Yes it will work fine. (I have the same case and orb)
The Following User Says Thank You to Joon525 For This Useful Post:
striker325 (March 4th, 2013)
Old March 11th, 2013, 11:49 AM   #106 (permalink)

Ok, after how many weeks Ive had this orb now I can with confidence suggest against buying it.

I was having issues with it charging properly every time I put the phone on the orb. I got the jingle and the LED lit up showing that it was on there correctly but a few hours later and I was down on the %, not up. Half the time it would take almost until it was time to wake up for it to be nearly fully charged(almost 7 hours!).

A couple times I tried charging it without the case on it to see if that helped. That only worked for about 2 minutes until it slid off the orb every time. The case went back and on it never slipped off the orb with it.

I have since gone back to using the USB connection directly and just using the orb as a rest so I can see it at night.

Thats my experience with it. YMMV.
Old March 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #107 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S4

I have one and I love it! If I had a desk job; I'd buy a second for work. I use my phone a lot, so it often needs charged- so it's nice to have the phone charging every time I set it down- when I'm at home, that is.
Last edited by APBTx2; March 11th, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:32 AM   #108 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Ok, after how many weeks Ive had this orb now I can with confidence suggest against buying it.

I was having issues with it charging properly every time I put the phone on the orb. I got the jingle and the LED lit up showing that it was on there correctly but a few hours later and I was down on the %, not up. Half the time it would take almost until it was time to wake up for it to be nearly fully charged(almost 7 hours!).

A couple times I tried charging it without the case on it to see if that helped. That only worked for about 2 minutes until it slid off the orb every time. The case went back and on it never slipped off the orb with it.

I have since gone back to using the USB connection directly and just using the orb as a rest so I can see it at night.

Thats my experience with it. YMMV.
I'm getting something similar going on.
It'll be charging but then when I check back later it seems to have just stopped charging at some random point in time.

I'm wondering if it has to be placed more precisely or something. (I don't want to really believe that though.)
Old March 12th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #109 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joon525 View Post
I'm getting something similar going on.
It'll be charging but then when I check back later it seems to have just stopped charging at some random point in time.

I'm wondering if it has to be placed more precisely or something. (I don't want to really believe that though.)
It's just cycling. Nothing to worry about. It stays at charged and then stops charging until it drops back to 90% or so then start again back up to 100. All wireless charges do this.
Old March 12th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #110 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunk83 View Post
It's just cycling. Nothing to worry about. It stays at charged and then stops charging until it drops back to 90% or so then start again back up to 100. All wireless charges do this.
I should've clarified....it was at 70% one time and this morning it was at 45% which to me is way below any cycling threshold unless someone can point out something I don't know.
Last edited by Joon525; March 12th, 2013 at 09:19 AM.
sponsored links
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #111 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 Nexus One HTC Flyer
Carrier: T-Mobile

Default Went with a USB Dock instead

I decided to hold off on the Qi chargers for now. Price point is still too high, and it seems like half the people who get them seem to have troubles. I ended up buying a USB dock and calling it a day for now. Not as "simple" but works just fine. Maybe in 6 months the problems will be worked out.

Amazon.com: RND Dock for LG Nexus 4 (compatible without or with a slim-fit case) (black): Cell Phones & Accessories
Old March 12th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #112 (permalink)

Device(s):

I decided to clean it last night before sending it back. I used a scant amount of gentle soap with water on a paper towel. Did the phone too and it worked for the first time for me! I don't trust it but I'm willing to keep an open mind.
The price is insane.
I wish I hadn't bought it but-
Old March 14th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #113 (permalink)

Device(s):

Got the orb as a gift. Works just fine so far. Might charge a slower than the regular USB cable but nothing substantially slower for now! I love the convenience and look of the orb. I tried a few different positions on it with the N4 and it seems to always catch a charge. The only thing that I notice sometimes while I take a glance at it charger after awhile, is that it does cut off...randomly. But I just read, in this thread, that apparently its normal for wireless chargers to do that. At the end of the day... it does get the job done!
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #114 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48

Now that we see the Galaxy S 4 is going to have Qi standard wireless charging built in I'm pretty excited that the industry should follow through with it, thus making my Orbs worth it in the longrun. Hopefully they put out a replacement back for the Note 2 so I can use it on that as well. I assume they'll put it in the Note 3 since it's in the GS4.
Old March 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #115 (permalink)

Device(s):

So here's a strange sequence of events.
  1. Phone at 61% placed on orb.
  2. Started charging normally.
  3. Came back to look at it and the red light was not on, awaken the phone and see that it is indeed NOT charging.
  4. Remove the phone and place it on there again.
  5. Got no audible confirmation but notice the red LED flickers a little and then goes out. Phone status is NOT charging.
  6. Checked the plug connections and everything's tight. So I plug the phone in directly to the micro USB plug and let it charge to 66% and then...
  7. Closed all applications and then plugged the micro USB plug back into the orb and put the phone on it. Audible confirmation and red LED, phone is now charging.
  8. A few minutes later I hear the audible confirmation again and notice the phone is still charging which leads me to believe that the phone wasn't charging at some point and then picked up a charge again.
  9. The phone is currently charging as I type this.
I'm kind of wondering if it might be the phone and not the charger?
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #116 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monygg85 View Post
... At the end of the day... it does get the job done!
Many of us don't have the rest of the day to wait for a simple charge.
Old March 17th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #117 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Nexus 4 Google Nexus 7
Carrier: AT&T

Default Re: Nexus 4 charging orb is LIVE on Google play

Quote:
  3. Came back to look at it and the red light was not on, awaken the phone and see that it is indeed NOT charging.
  5. Got no audible confirmation but notice the red LED flickers a little and then goes out. Phone status is NOT charging.
  6. Checked the plug connections and everything's tight. So I plug the phone in directly to the micro USB plug and let it charge to 66% and then...
  7. Closed all applications and then plugged the micro USB plug back into the orb and put the phone on it. Audible confirmation and red LED, phone is now charging.
  8. A few minutes later I hear the audible confirmation again and notice the phone is still charging which leads me to believe that the phone wasn't charging at some point and then picked up a charge again.
Sorry, can't help you with the issue itself. But I am curious with this red light you speak of. Is this caused by an app or am I missing a setting option somewhere? I don't get a light while charging.
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #118 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
Sorry, can't help you with the issue itself. But I am curious with this red light you speak of. Is this caused by an app or am I missing a setting option somewhere? I don't get a light while charging.
Sorry I guess I should have mentioned it before...using the LightFlow app.
But doesn't the red LED light up even when totally stock? Maybe I'm mistaken but I thought that it did.
Old March 24th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #119 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
So after a little research I come to find that the AC adapter that comes with the Orb is different from the one that comes with the phone (which I was using to power the Orb).

The adapter that comes with the phone has an output of 1.2A.
The adapter that comes with the Orb has an output of 1.8A.

So I'm using the right AC adapter now and we'll see how it goes.

Embarrassing to say this but it could be operator error.
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #120 (permalink)
Nexican

Device(s): hammerhead, falcon, dream (Retired: grouper, mako, toro, daytona, vivow, inc, aloha, encore)
Carrier: T-Mobile & VZW

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,890 Posts
jdmartinez89@gmail.com

Got two. Excited!
My favorite getaway--->Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole
sponsored links
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #121 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,003 Times in 3,769 Posts

I've been on the fence with the wireless charging. Any real practical uses that make it beneficial to normal charging?

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old March 24th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #122 (permalink)

Quote:
So after a little research I come to find that the AC adapter that comes with the Orb is different from the one that comes with the phone (which I was using to power the Orb).

I had a similar issue and I used the AC adapter that came with the orbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I've been on the fence with the wireless charging. Any real practical uses that make it beneficial to normal charging?
I just enjoy the simplicity of casually placing the phone on the Orb if it's nearby personally. It's not remotely a necessity by any means.
The Following User Says Thank You to JunBringer For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (March 24th, 2013)
Old March 24th, 2013, 06:10 PM   #123 (permalink)
Nexican

Device(s): hammerhead, falcon, dream (Retired: grouper, mako, toro, daytona, vivow, inc, aloha, encore)
Carrier: T-Mobile & VZW

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,890 Posts
jdmartinez89@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
The reason I got 'em is to preserve the USB port. And because its cool.
JunBringer likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jmar For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (March 24th, 2013)
Old March 24th, 2013, 07:43 PM   #124 (permalink)

Device(s):

So after a month, strange things have been happening. My phone charges for a little bit and then stops. I re-adjust it and it starts up again. Maybe it continues, maybe it doesn't and needs re-adjustment on the orb again. Very annoying as sometimes I put it on the charger at night at 30% and wake up to it at 50%.

Is there a certain place or way I should be placing the phone? Should I be periodically cleaning the orb ..from dust...? Im missing something here...
Old March 25th, 2013, 03:25 AM   #125 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monygg85 View Post
So after a month, strange things have been happening. My phone charges for a little bit and then stops. I re-adjust it and it starts up again. Maybe it continues, maybe it doesn't and needs re-adjustment on the orb again. Very annoying as sometimes I put it on the charger at night at 30% and wake up to it at 50%.

Is there a certain place or way I should be placing the phone? Should I be periodically cleaning the orb ..from dust...? Im missing something here...
Is your phone slipping while on the orb? It can move very slowly, so when you set it up, mark the phone with a bit of chalk or something so you can see how it's aligned with the orb. When you encounter the charging issue again, see if it's shifted. If so, give the orb a good clean.
Old March 25th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #126 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecc View Post
Is your phone slipping while on the orb? It can move very slowly, so when you set it up, mark the phone with a bit of chalk or something so you can see how it's aligned with the orb. When you encounter the charging issue again, see if it's shifted. If so, give the orb a good clean.
I think so. I tried various positions, while the phone is vertical, like a little higher up and a low down just in case to make sure there is charge all throughout if it slides down. There was a charge in each position, at least in those moments that I tried it. So maybe sliding down isnt it? Unless the actual motion of the slide stops the charge? Usually though I place the phone on the orb right on the middle part of the phone. The bottom part of the phone barely touches the desk if it does it just rests on it. Also, what is the best way to clean it? I tried rubbing the dust off but the orb is too sticky! I dont want to apply any water or liquid so I dont mess up the orb
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #127 (permalink)

Quote:

There's a warning in the guide for the Orb to only use the supplied charger, and not to use the one for the phone. I guess you missed that note.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:59 AM   #128 (permalink)

Device(s):

Ok this orb has been throwing up some weird problems. First off the sliding off has gotten worse (faster). In about ~7 minutes my phone is down and touching my table. While its on the charger the correct way, my charging light randomly comes on/off sometimes also flashing green? I have no idea why. Even if the light is off its charging, so that still works at least.

I cleaned the orb twice, including my phone. Just left it to charge so we will see how much this helps. Also, Daydream doesnt' seem to work. I don't know why.
The only thing I found that would maybe help the slipping is to flip the charger upside down, take out that plastic ring on the bottom which holds the charger in one place, turn it (180 degrees) so the thicker part is where the thin part used to be (giving it less of an angle). I'll do this as a last resort.
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #129 (permalink)

Do you have a case on it? I've noticed it doesn't work quite as well with a thick case on.
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #130 (permalink)

Device(s):

No, no case no protectors of any sorts. I cleaned the orb and phone 1 time since my last post. Didnt slide that same night. On the days after, it started to slide off again. Im almost to the point of possibly trying to flip around that rubber ring at the bottom.
sponsored links
Old April 9th, 2013, 07:18 AM   #131 (permalink)

I've only had to clean mine a couple of times personally. I've even used a thin case quite a bit and it still charges and stays.
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #132 (permalink)

I even gave the orb another try but it's just a failure. It only didnt slip when I had the case on my phone and half the time it would stop charging in the middle of the night. I would wake up with my phone at like 40%. Another thing I noticed that even when my phone was at 100% in the morning, it seemed to lose battery quicker through the day than when it was directly charged through the USB.

That being said, now I just use it as a prop for my phone to lay on while its connected to the USB.
Old April 9th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #133 (permalink)

Device(s):

I wonder if you were experiencing the wireless charger wake lock. Apparently Google will fix this, but a pretty crazy bug to miss. It happens more often than not, so I find myself rebooting after it charges on the orb, JIC.
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #134 (permalink)

Device(s):

I am almost getting to the same point as HyperM3. I really want to refrain from trying to switch the rubber ring around at the bottom but if it continues not to work then I will go that route.

What do you suggest is the best route to clean this?

What is the charger wake lock exactly?
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:39 AM   #135 (permalink)

Device(s):

The wireless charging wakelock sometimes shows up after removing the device from the orb, preventing it from sleeping as it seems to keep a connection open for wireless charging. As for the Orb itself, I haven't had any issues with it slipping off yet. I've been using a dbrand skin lately and no issues there, either. I'd RMA it before I'd tinker / modify the orb itself. Some report multiple Orbs having varying levels of "stick" out of the box, so maybe something to consider. As for cleaning it, I haven't had to clean mine yet ...
Last edited by chessboxxin; April 10th, 2013 at 12:21 PM.
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #136 (permalink)

Device(s): GN - stock

Sorry for those having problems. None here after a couple months of use.
Old April 15th, 2013, 07:00 AM   #137 (permalink)

Device(s):

Well heres what I did so far, I cleaned the orb once with a dampened cloth. Since then, every night I go to put my phone on it I quickly give the back of it a good wipe down, to get all of the oils off from fingers. Takes 5 seconds. Ever since then its been working, flawlessly. Sticks on the charger like superglue!
Old June 4th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #138 (permalink)

I discovered a bit of a "life hack" moment while searching for mounts on Amazon. To easily clean the sticky surface of the Orb without water, use tape. Masking tape, painters tape, etc (not duct tape!). I used packing tape because it was all I had at the time, and repeatedly dabbed it on the surface of the Orb. Cleaned it right up, good as new.

I don't use my N4 as my primary phone anymore, so even though it doesn't charge it thru Qi, I'm using the Orb as a "dock" stand for my GS4. Until Samsung finally starts selling the Qi backs for the GS4 anyway.
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:31 AM   #139 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Fire, Logitech Review, Nexus 10

Has anyone tried a different wireless charger? I see several on Amazon and was wondering if they were any good. I kind of like the pads they sell so the phone will lie flat.
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #140 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 PAC-Rom,SGS3 OmegaV31(JB), LG Optimus M CM7.2 Fully Ics Themed
Carrier: Simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonb View Post
Has anyone tried a different wireless charger? I see several on Amazon and was wondering if they were any good. I kind of like the pads they sell so the phone will lie flat.

I have an Anker Qi flat wireless charger. It's amazing. It's half the price of the N4 wireless orb charger. It doesn't take much time to charge it as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandonOptimus For This Useful Post:
jhonb (July 5th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old July 5th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #141 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonOptimus View Post
I have an Anker Qi flat wireless charger. It's amazing. It's half the price of the N4 wireless orb charger. It doesn't take much time to charge it as well.
The Ankers are about 50 bucks now. I see the aisan's are making them on ebay now in the 20 dollar range. Do I trust my phone to cheap stuff?
Old July 5th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #142 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Quote:
... Do I trust my phone to cheap stuff?
I don't think the N4 will be damaged, the question is how much energy is one willing to waste?

Some inductive chargers sense changes in the field strength based on the phone's charge level, and can reduce the primary coil field as necessary, even turning it to a very low level when no inductive pickup is present, as there is when no phone is placed on it.

Do the cheapos do that? Your research into a product's capabilities is as good as any, but it's a fair guess that wrt overall energy consumption, cheaper is probably not better.
Old July 6th, 2013, 03:14 AM   #143 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 PAC-Rom,SGS3 OmegaV31(JB), LG Optimus M CM7.2 Fully Ics Themed
Carrier: Simple

Quote:
The Ankers are about 50 bucks now. I see the aisan's are making them on ebay now in the 20 dollar range. Do I trust my phone to cheap stuff?

It works fine. Just takes LONGER TO CHARGE. My friend had a I think it's called shuranti or something like that. It took long. My n4 from 1% to 100% untouched charges in like an hour or two. With his its 3-4 sometimes even 5.
Old July 6th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #144 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. I purchased a Zens last night. Got a good deal on it and seems to have good reviews. It looks a little larger than the others, but has 7 coils so placement is not an issue. also it is flat so no sliding. I will let you know how it works.
Old July 17th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #145 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks for the help. I purchased a Zens last night. Got a good deal on it and seems to have good reviews. It looks a little larger than the others, but has 7 coils so placement is not an issue. also it is flat so no sliding. I will let you know how it works.
I have been using the Zens for about a week now. It works great. I use a TPU case and it's not an issue.

I am very pleased with it.
Old July 17th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #146 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

What Qi charger is everybody using,..I'm looking at the lg wcp300
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:21 PM   #147 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT Rotor View Post
What Qi charger is everybody using,..I'm looking at the lg wcp300
Good luck. I was hunting a few weeks ago and I could not find one that was the unanimous choice. Some people loved a particular one, but others hated it.

I purchasaed the Zens. Works great for me and I am very happy I got it. But another guy on the forum had it and it would not work for him, like it did for me. I think he ended up with the lg and is happy.
Old July 17th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #148 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4

Quote:
Good luck. I was hunting a few weeks ago and I could not find one that was the unanimous choice. Some people loved a particular one, but others hated it.

I looked around last week & went with the CHOE Qi Wireless Charging Pad...I liked that it was powered by a Micro USB cord...it won't get here for a few weeks.
Last edited by lion7718; July 17th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #149 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lion7718 View Post
I looked around last week & went with the CHOE Qi Wireless Charging Pad...I liked that it was powered by a Micro USB cord...it won't get here for a few weeks.
Let me know how it works out for you. The zens takes 12 volt to operate it. I see the choe is 5 volts. I wonder if there is a difference in performance. I keep mine in the kitchen, so the plug is no big issue. But I might get the choe for the officer. I see their 25 bucks delivered on amazon.
Old July 25th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #150 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4

Quote:
Let me know how it works out for you. The zens takes 12 volt to operate it. I see the choe is 5 volts. I wonder if there is a difference in performance. I keep mine in the kitchen, so the plug is no big issue. But I might get the choe for the officer. I see their 25 bucks delivered on amazon.

Got my CHOE about 30 min ago, of course I just charged my Nexus...so give me a few days to check it out.

2013-07-25 18.18.07.jpg

2013-07-25 18.19.54.jpg

2013-07-25 18.22.40.jpg

It doesn't come with a wall plug, but I have a spare from my old cell.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4