Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 17th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Droid x2, Nexus 4
Carrier: AT&T Straight Talk and Verizon

Default AT&T/ Straight Talk question

I am in the exact same boat as many others with Straight talk and AT&T. I want to get a N4 for my Daughter's birthday and use Straight Talk. AT&T is the only carrier that works where she need service.

This falling out between ATT and Walmart has really put a damper on this plan.

There are other MVNOs out there that have ATT coverage, but I would really like the use ST as it is a little bit less expensive.

If I can get my hands on a basic Straight Talk phone with an ATT sim in it that has not been activated, can the SIM be activated on a N4? I would cut it down if needed to a micro sim size. I am seeing in some discussions that ATT may lock the SIM to the phone's serial number. Just wondering if this was done when the phone shipped or when it was activated.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 17th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendetim View Post
I am in the exact same boat as many others with Straight talk and AT&T. I want to get a N4 for my Daughter's birthday and use Straight Talk. AT&T is the only carrier that works where she need service.

This falling out between ATT and Walmart has really put a damper on this plan.

There are other MVNOs out there that have ATT coverage, but I would really like the use ST as it is a little bit less expensive.

If I can get my hands on a basic Straight Talk phone with an ATT sim in it that has not been activated, can the SIM be activated on a N4? I would cut it down if needed to a micro sim size. I am seeing in some discussions that ATT may lock the SIM to the phone's serial number. Just wondering if this was done when the phone shipped or when it was activated.

I was in the same boat as you... Here ya go, same service as ST as the are both run of att. And if you put in a credit card it will knock off five dollars of the bill making it $45/month

NET10 Micro SIM Card
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks. Picked up a Net10 and , just in case, red pocket micro sim. Good prices.

Does Net10 allow you to port in a number on an existing active SIM card or do they require a new SIM to be issued?

Just don't want to loose my ATT network when I try and port. I *believe* Straight Talk requires a new SIM card and since they are not issuing ATT SIMs, you get T-Mobile. Can anyone comment on that?

Same question on Red Pocket. But I expect RedPocket to have a supply of ATT SIMs.
Old March 17th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMaToast View Post
IAnd if you put in a credit card it will knock off five dollars of the bill making it $45/month
Is that CC is used at the Net10 website for an Automatic refill to get the discount?
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Is that CC is used at the Net10 website for an Automatic refill to get the discount?
Yes sir!
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Ordered a net10 and red pocket sim yesterday. Got shipping confirmation earlier today so we will see what shows up in a few days.
Old March 18th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Ordered a net10 and red pocket sim yesterday. Got shipping confirmation earlier today so we will see what shows up in a few days.
The net 10 micro sim should work for you.. I have to order mine still since t-mobile doesn't cut it where I'm at how u like the phone?
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Great phone. It belongs to my wife actually. I got it for her a few weeks ago to replace a Verizon Z6 dumb phone that she has had for 5 years. She only had voice on it and never took a picture.

This is quite an upgrade for her and she loves it, especially taking pictures of the grandson and getting mms from Rochester with pictures of the little one. She give me a little dig once in a while that my Droid X2 phone is so old and slow.

My daughter will be getting a N4 for a Birthday present in a few weeks to replace her dying Samsung fascinate. This SIM is for her phone.

That leaves me on Verizon with a Droid X2 which is out of contract in July. Let's see if the Nexus 5 is out by then.
Last edited by pendetim; March 18th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4