Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile Monthly 4G

Default Nexus 4 Won't Turn on after Taking off Charger

The past few mornings when I've taken my Nexus 4 off the charger, it isn't responsive. I unplug the phone, and the green notification light remains on, but the screen will not turn on. The only way to wake the phone up is to power it off and restart. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you know if it will become a long term issue?

Thanks

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old March 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1, Nook Color, Asus Transformer T-1
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 13,570 Times in 7,424 Posts

That's a new one for me. When I charge mine, I don't get a green notification light. Perhaps a battery monitoring app is locking up when you reach a full charge.

When you do restart, does the phone show fully charged? What happens if you take it off the charger before it reaches 100%?

No Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers were harmed in the composition of this message.
Old March 18th, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Default Re: Nexus 4 Won't Turn on after Taking off Charger

If I take it off before it reaches 100% its fine. I also forgot to mention, the Green light is something I set up with the light flow app. After restarting the phone, it is still at 100%.
Old March 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Device(s): Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), Nexus 4, Galaxy S II, Captivate, Nexus 1, Nook Color, Asus Transformer T-1

I found some information about light flow on XDA. light flow lite-led control works great on nexus 4 Right now, I'd probably uninstall the app and see if the problem continues. You should then relay your results to the developer.
Old March 18th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, rooted Android 4.4
Carrier: net10 MVNO w/ T-Mobile SIM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs11usc View Post
The past few mornings when I've taken my Nexus 4 off the charger, it isn't responsive. I unplug the phone, and the green notification light remains on, but the screen will not turn on. The only way to wake the phone up is to power it off and restart. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you know if it will become a long term issue?
I had the same problem 2 months ago, and after uninstalling the LightFlow app, the problem never occurred again. It must've been something in my particular LF configuration, as others don't seem to have the same issue.

Yours sure sounds the same though.
Old March 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #6 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 16,370 Times in 8,759 Posts

Light flow works ok for me.

Can you post some details on your configuration and I'll see if my handset does the same
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Light flow works ok for me.

Can you post some details on your configuration and I'll see if my handset does the same
I have a red led for when my battery is charging and a green led for when it is fully charged. The only other notifications I have are for SMS or MMS. Both SMS and MMS are set up to take priority over the charging notifications should I receive a message.
The Following User Says Thank You to njs11usc For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (March 19th, 2013)
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

I'll have a mess about tonight, thanks. LightFlow was updated today though, so that may have resolved the issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Presidente For This Useful Post:
njs11usc (March 19th, 2013)
Old March 20th, 2013, 05:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

I got nothing, sorry .

I even returned to stock and I couldn't recreate the issue. Light flow has been updated twice since my first post though so maybe that's sorted it?

Paid or free version btw?
Old March 21st, 2013, 05:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Carrier: O2 UK

I have the exact same problem as the OP - when the phone has been charging without being used (so usually overnight) it won't wake up, and I have to hold down the power button and then restart. I also have Light Flow installed (paid version) with a red light set for charging and a green light for charged. When it's charged but 'frozen' the green light is still showing, so I had suspected LF but hadn't been able to find anything online about the issue until I saw this thread. Hopefully uninstalling will help, which would be a shame as it's a great app, but I'd rather have a working phone...
sponsored links
Old March 21st, 2013, 07:25 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

I have the same problem, but it happens when the phone is not charging as well. And I don't have any notification led on or Light Flow installed.
Moreover it's not rooted and the software is just as out of the box plus the official updates.
Don't know if it depends on other "less known" applications. I'll list some of mine to see if they correspond to some of yours.

Advanced Task Killer // AdFree // Contacts+ // MAME4droid // MyPhoneExplorer // SMS Backup&Restore // SMS Backup+ // UChord

I hope we can find the solution 'cause is getting annoying!
Old March 21st, 2013, 09:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlosao View Post
I have the same problem, but it happens when the phone is not charging as well. And I don't have any notification led on or Light Flow installed.
Moreover it's not rooted and the software is just as out of the box plus the official updates.
Don't know if it depends on other "less known" applications. I'll list some of mine to see if they correspond to some of yours.

Advanced Task Killer // AdFree // Contacts+ // MAME4droid // MyPhoneExplorer // SMS Backup&Restore // SMS Backup+ // UChord

I hope we can find the solution 'cause is getting annoying!
I would uninstall Advanced Task Killer and see if that clears it up for you. Task killers have been unnecessary with Android since version 2.2. If you've got it automatically killing processes, that could be your problem.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

I was searching for an answer to this issue as well and Google led me here. I just got my Nexus 4 about a week ago and this has happened twice to me. I have rooted my phone. I do not have Light Flow installed and am on the stock 4.2.2 ROM. The first time it happened, I only had installed a couple of the apps I had previously. It has happened again this morning. I tried to wake my phone up when it was still on the charger and no response. Notification LED kept flashing. I'm thinking about sending it back.
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I have the same issue but it's only stuck for a minute and will eventually wake up. I need to update lightflow anyways so hopefully that helps.
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #15 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I had the issue again today. I just updated light flow, hopefully it will help. I find it odd that the problem doesn't occur every time I charge. It's probably only happened to me 3 or 4 times in then past 2 and 1/2 weeks or so.
Old March 24th, 2013, 08:03 AM   #16 (permalink)
Moderati ergo sum

It seems the common denominator is some sort of notification light when fully charged? It has never happened to me, but then i only have the stock notifications (mail, sms, facebook) set to trigger the light.
Old March 24th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #17 (permalink)

Carrier: T-Mobile

It didn't happen to me this morning after I charged it overnight. I had notifications.
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:06 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have the same problem. After running out of batteries, my phone now can't be turned on - despite several minutes spent holding down the power button and the volume buttons in all combinations. My best guess is that the phone has got into a state where it can be neither reset NOR recharged without battery power - which it isn't going to get until I can charge it. To judge by others' comments, I'm not the only one to have encountered this problem, and I can't believe that testing didn't pick up such a basic flaw in this phone. Guess I'll have to try and do battle with customer services tomorrow :-(
Old April 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Sorry your having issues, have you tried leaving it on charge overnight? Sometimes that can make a difference?

It's not a basic flaw of the phone btw. If you let ANY device with a lithium battery run flat, you run the risk of it not accepting charge again.
Old April 22nd, 2013, 06:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Carrier: 3

I have the same sort of issue. After charging my phone overnight and then unplugging it there is a wait of about 10 seconds where the phone wont do anything.

After this 10 second everything is ok though. Would there be some sort of deep sleep that the phone is going into?
sponsored links
Old April 23rd, 2013, 12:55 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

I don't have any llight flow app that I'm aware of, but my phone was plugged into my laptop for 6 or 7 hours, after charging all night. So it had plenty of juice in it, but it was just blinking the notification light occasionally.

I couldn't for the life of me get the screen to start up. Eventually, by holding down the power button and either the volume up, or the volume in both directions simultaneously, it brought me a boot loader.

I'm not sure what the exact combination or how long I held it down for was (well under 10 seconds though I would guess). Once in the boot loader I was able to power down, then power back up and things were working again.

Phew!

Hope this helps someone...

Best,
-Dan

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4