Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 1st, 2013, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): <3 Nexus 7 <3, Android Froyo Phone
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Nexus 4 in Singapore - Will it work?

Hi, I'm looking at getting a Nexus 4 on Straight Talk, but will be leaving to study abroad in Singapore for 6 months.

I've done a little research and have found that Singtel, StarHub and MoblieOne (M1) are the three prepaid companies in Singapore.

My question is, will my Nexus 4, purchased in the United States, work in Singapore with a sim card from one of these prepaid mobile companies?

Additionally, if you happen to know, can someone tell me which prepaid company would be best for someone looking for unlimited call, text and data to the United States while also being use the phone when traveling outside of Singapore, i.e. travelling to Malaysia and Thailand on the weekends.

Thanks for your help!

sponsored links
Old April 1st, 2013, 04:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

i don't see why not.
Old April 1st, 2013, 06:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 16GB; Lumia 900; iPad 2 3G

As long as they use GSM technology (which I'm almost sure they do because I believe CDMA is only used in the US) there should be no problem. The phone is unlocked and supports worldwide frequencies. I use it in Honduras with no problem.
Motorola Talkabout - Motorola Vulcan - Sony Ericsson T220 - Sony Ericsson T610 - Motorola V500 - Motorola V3 - HTC Touch - Nokia 5320 - Nokia E63 - LG GW550 - iPhone 3GS - HTC Inspire 4G - Nokia Lumia 610 - Motorola Atrix 4G - Apple iPad 2 - Galaxy Note 1 - Nokia Lumia 900 - LG Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 - Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Old April 2nd, 2013, 03:57 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

You should be fine as all 3 networks are GSM - or were when I lived there. Given everywhere else in Asia - apart from Japan - was also GSM, I can't see them having changed.

Don't know if they still have the same, rather unusual charging model: both the caller and the recipient paid 20 cents (13p / 16 US cents) a minute - I imagine it's cheaper now.

You might want to turn roaming off by default as if you're near a coast (and Sing is small so you often are) you'll often find yourself on Indonesian (in the east) or Malaysian (in the north) carriers and be hit with roaming charges.

On the upside, you can use your phone on the MRT (underground / subway)

I'm sure you'll enjoy Singapore - friendly people, great food and super modern - in many ways, coming back to Europe or the US will seem like stepping back into the dark ages. Only problem I have is it's just too darn hot.
Last edited by SiempreTuna; April 2nd, 2013 at 04:02 AM.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Tags
nexus 4, overseas, prepaid carriers, singapore

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4