Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree9Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Question Happy with your Nexus 4?

Hi,

I've moved in to my upgrade period of my mobile phone contract which means that i don't have long until it's completely ended. So i'm looking at new mobile phones to upgrade to.

The LG/Google Nexus 4 is one of the phones i'm considering.

So i'm wondering, are you happy with your Nexus 4?

If you could roll back time, would you still buy the phone? Or would you buy something different instead?

Much appreciated to any advice given.

sponsored links
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 16GB; Lumia 900; iPad 2 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shocker_33 View Post
Hi,

I've moved in to my upgrade period of my mobile phone contract which means that i don't have long until it's completely ended. So i'm looking at new mobile phones to upgrade to.

The LG/Google Nexus 4 is one of the phones i'm considering.

So i'm wondering, are you happy with your Nexus 4?

If you could roll back time, would you still buy the phone? Or would you buy something different instead?

Much appreciated to any advice given.
If I could go back in time I would buy two, not just one. Mine and one for my gf.

It depends a lot of what you like, on what you normally use your phone for. I would say everything is covered.
Motorola Talkabout - Motorola Vulcan - Sony Ericsson T220 - Sony Ericsson T610 - Motorola V500 - Motorola V3 - HTC Touch - Nokia 5320 - Nokia E63 - LG GW550 - iPhone 3GS - HTC Inspire 4G - Nokia Lumia 610 - Motorola Atrix 4G - Apple iPad 2 - Galaxy Note 1 - Nokia Lumia 900 - LG Nexus 4 - Nexus 5 - Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: Solavei - ask me via pm!

We did buy two - one for me, one for my husband. We are both still thrilled with the Nexus 4. Would buy them again in a heartbeat.
lightsleeper23 likes this.
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Happy with it yes. I'd even buy it again. But I wouldn't use it as my everyday phone. I came from an s3 on sprint and decided to order a nexus 4. I'm kinda a phone whore lol I've been thru eveeything from a 50 dollar android 2.1 phone to the iphone 5 so the n4 was on the list. Put it on a tmobile plan and used it as my main phone for a week. Its a nice phone. It does everything it says it does and more. Speed is amazing. But in the end I missed my s3. Vanilla android doesn't do much for me. And I knew what it was coming into it. I've previously owned the nexus s4g and the galaxy nexus but like I said it bored me after a week. The s3 just does more and to me is a better user experience. Another thing that bothered me is the screen size. They say its 4.7 but with the onscreen buttons the s3 screen is a lot bigger than the nexus 4. The onscreen buttons take up some considerable screen real estate and make the actual screen size smaller tham 4.7 inches. But again its not a bad device. Nice build quality and if the nexus line is your cup of tea its by far the best one ever made.
The Following User Says Thank You to timmyh318 For This Useful Post:
mpanju (April 11th, 2013)
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyh318 View Post
Vanilla android doesn't do much for me. And I knew what it was coming into it. I've previously owned the nexus s4g and the galaxy nexus but like I said it bored me after a week. The s3 just does more and to me is a better user experience.
What is vanilla (Pure) android like compared to a system with the manufacturers stuff on? I've only owned one smart phone since the Nokia N70 age and that is the HTC Wildfire S. Which i can't really do anything on anymore.
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus

Thanked 1,455 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
What is vanilla (Pure) android like compared to a system with the manufacturers stuff on? I've only owned one smart phone since the Nokia N70 age and that is the HTC Wildfire S. Which i can't really do anything on anymore.
Have you ever seen samsung or htc phones with the clock and weather widgets?
Those are generally running touchwiz for samsung phones, and Sense for Htc.

quick video on skin vs pure android.
Though this one seems biased against pure android.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1gcox7Vi0c
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Skins add more to android. Your wildfire ran an older version of sense on top of android 2.3.4. The htc clock and weather widget. The contact list customization the facebook intregration. The 7 homescreens. The countless htc widgets. Those were not part of vanilla android 2.3 those were all by sense. The new versions of samsungs touchwiz allow you to set it to where the front facing camera detects if your looking at the screen and wont dim it. To dectect what angle your looking at your phone at instead of holding it at to determine when to rotate the screen. It pauses your video when you look away from your screen and restarts it when you look back. Then theres the customizable lockscreen with news feeds weather and just all sorts of little things. Different camera options that stock android just doesnt offer. Some people hate skins some love them it really is personal preference. For me touchwiz just does it right. Now sense 5.0 to me is garbage. Blinkfeed or whatever there calling it looks annoying. That said I wouldn't mind playing around with an htc one though lol. Can't lie. Build quality on it looks amazing. Sorry got a lil off topic lol
Last edited by timmyh318; April 6th, 2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, stock 4.2.2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Extremely Happy! I came from Virgin Mobile, Moto Triumph. The Nexus is a beast, and HSPA+ and stock Android will keep me happy for a long time
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Best phone yet. Fast phone, fast updates. And best of all no Touchwiz/Sense/Motoblur rubbish.

Linux user #266351. Android since v1.0
Registered Linux user #266531 since 2001. Android user since v1.0.
Old April 7th, 2013, 01:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, LG Shine Plus, Galaxy Tab 10.1

For me, the speed of the phone is amazing, the fastest updates are a great plus, and the stock 4.2 keyboard is amazing. I come from using Swype and I find this keyboard to be even more responsive and just an overall faster typing experience.
sponsored links
Old April 7th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm extremely pleased overall. I'll never be perfectly satisfied, anyways.
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I hadn't seen a pure android phone before. Thanks for the link new optimus.

Are there any buzz words i can Google to see what i would expect from a pure android system?

So buzz words for non-pure androids are skin, Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur. Anymore?
I don't think i've seen anything more than pure android for the bare naked android version.

Say i bought this phone and i decided that there are certain features from one of the skins i like, is it easy to track a replica app/software that i could install?

Secondly, say i got bored of pure android, is there a way to load one of the skins on to the phone?
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus

Quote:
I hadn't seen a pure android phone before. Thanks for the link new optimus.

Are there any buzz words i can Google to see what i would expect from a pure android system?

So buzz words for non-pure androids are skin, Touchwiz, Sense, Motoblur. Anymore?
I don't think i've seen anything more than pure android for the bare naked android version.

Say i bought this phone and i decided that there are certain features from one of the skins i like, is it easy to track a replica app/software that i could install?

Secondly, say i got bored of pure android, is there a way to load one of the skins on to the phone?

Your welcome.

Buzz word might be vanilla android.
the dev community usually does have apks that mimic the skin features. I think I saw a rom that looks like sense rom for the nexus 4.
And of course there are ways to theme it any way you like, vanilla android can be made to look just about any way you want it too yet still use less memory and cpu cycles then the skinned versions from manufactures.
Old April 8th, 2013, 03:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE

Thanked 1,785 Times in 1,163 Posts

I bought 2 also the day it was released, mine and my wife's. Mine is rooted and has a custom ROM, hers is stock. We both still love them, and yes I definitely would do the same if I could go back in time and do it again.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
Old April 8th, 2013, 07:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

I agree with pretty much everything posted above.

I'm delighted with my N4. I had an original Desire before and thought I would miss the HTC skin, Sense but you know what: not at all.

On the other hand, some more expensive phones like the S3 and HTC One have some great features .. just not quite great enough for me to justify the extra cost.

But that's just me.

Quote:
There are apps that mimic lots of the features from skins - like the HTC clock / weather widget, for example - however things like Samsung's eye tracking you probably can't get, patent litigation being what it is

Quote:
Probably not legally .. technically, I'm sure some wirehead on here could show you the way
Last edited by SiempreTuna; April 8th, 2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old April 8th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

Carrier: Straight Talk

I really like mine... Still getting to know the secrets...Similar to my Droid Razr Maxx... Battery life is good... Cheers....
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Laugh

I love this phone I'd buy it again in a heart beat.

I went from a rooted Sprint HTC Evo to a borrowed Nexus One so I could switch to ATT straight talk while waiting for the N4 to be back in stock.

I was with the Nexus One a lot longer than I thought I would be I learned to like it and appreciate the vanilla android, its smoothness and speed.

I could only imagine what the N4 would be like based on what I had read and the specs.

The N4 is outstanding and for the price its unbelievable.

It has not even the slightest sign of delay when processing, the screen is beautiful & the speaker is nice and loud. The only thing I've done is rooted it.

This phone is a BEAST!!!!
Old April 8th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Vodafone

I came from Iphone 4s (boring phone IMO).I love the Nexus 4 and i always buy my phone outright these days so i dont get all the carriers crap all over it,saves money over the contract period too.
Old April 8th, 2013, 10:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just got my nexus 4 today, but so far loving it. Going to have to figure out the battery, but other than that great stuff. I had the galaxy nexus and loved it. Up until that point my favorite phone I have ever owned. I switched to the iPhone 5 and regret that decision to this day. Now I am back to stock android and could not be happier. I have the note 2 as well and will use both, but if I had to choose stock android and the nexus 4 would be it.
mpanju likes this.
Old April 8th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile Monthly 4G

I loved my Nexus 4 when I got it in December, and I still do. The only issue I have with it is the below average battery life. aside from that, it can't be beat, especially on a $30 per month plan.
mpanju likes this.
sponsored links
Old April 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 16GB (rooted to PA 3.60), Desire HD(rooted to ICS).
Carrier: o2/Tesco

As soon as it was available to order I bought one! I just love how quick and responsive is it with no lag and the bonus of not having carrier bloat ware on it. I did like the Sense overlay on my Desire HD but tbh I don't miss it now. Even now I still wouldn't change for anything else except another Nexus (maybe). Just a shame its cost me a bit to have a new front screen fitted after I dropped it, iPhone 5......who needs one!
Old April 9th, 2013, 04:11 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by njs11usc View Post
I loved my Nexus 4 when I got it in December, and I still do. The only issue I have with it is the below average battery life. aside from that, it can't be beat, especially on a $30 per month plan.
I can get 24 hours with 3-4 hours screen time. Obviously our usage differs, but you'd be surprised what a different kernel and some minor tweaking can do to this phone's battery life.
john30308 likes this.
Old April 9th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banished Angel View Post
I can get 24 hours with 3-4 hours screen time. Obviously our usage differs, but you'd be surprised what a different kernel and some minor tweaking can do to this phone's battery life.
I agree, settings and kernel make a big difference.

Banished Angel likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to new optimus For This Useful Post:
Banished Angel (April 9th, 2013)
Old April 11th, 2013, 02:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7"

I like my Nexus 4. I like it over most other phones because I can utilize NFC technology (only a couple of other phones are able to do so). to me that gives the N4 and the N7 an edge over other devices. You dont hear much about the technology, but it can be very useful IMO once it does catch on more. My only concern is realizing how fragile the phone can be. I'm very delicate with my electronics, but I *always* drop a phone at least once ::knocks on a very thick piece of wood::

Keep in mind, I'm a person that changes phones like I change shirts, I'm not looking to switch any time soon
mb41186 likes this.
Old April 11th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

Quote:
I get that screen on time stock.

I didn't use the phone much yesterday but I have the following without an overnight charge:

48% remaining - 1d 2h 28m - Screen 2h 19m
Last edited by MartinS; April 11th, 2013 at 05:37 AM.
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:19 AM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Motorola Milestone
Carrier: 3

I was a bit concerned about battery life when I first got my Nexus 4, but after a "settling down" period of poor battery life - probably related to initial excessive sync activity - it's now pretty good - certainly well over 24 hours which is all I ask of a device like this.
Old April 11th, 2013, 10:50 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
I get that screen on time stock.

I didn't use the phone much yesterday but I have the following without an overnight charge:

48% remaining - 1d 2h 28m - Screen 2h 19m
Your stock battery life is certainly more than I got. Then again I wasn't on stock for very long so I don't have much to go on.
Old April 11th, 2013, 06:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

BEST phone I've ever owned. One son bought galaxy 3S and loves that, but me, my wife and other son went with nexus 4. Lightning fast processor with still good battery life considering processor. Agree battery life is in the settings - have to clear apps in task manager or tile view that aren't being used - easy habit to do. We'd all buy it again hands down. I currently have a weird problem where I created a folder with files on the home screen, decided to empty the folder instead, now the folder is locked and cannot be tapped or dragged to delete - it's locked in the same position on any home screen like an overlay ghost. So far I cannot find a thread with anyone explaining how to get rid of the ghost folder. Tried via PC but cannot find any trace of it that way. Anyone have an idea? THANKS!
Old April 13th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Samsung P1010 Tablet, HP Touchpad

Coming from a LG Optimus 2x (the first dual-core phone ever yay!) I swore I would never own a LG device ever again.

But low and behold I caved due the to N4's amazing price point for what you get. So far I'm super impressed with the phone. When I'm using the device, it makes me confident that it'll last for years given it can handle almost any tasks I'm doing without freezing or hiccups.

The only thing that makes me unsure about the longevity of this phone is that it's pretty fragile. The only way I see myself getting another phone in the next little while is if I physically break it, which is pretty likely!
Old April 13th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

I still love mine. I have a Note 2 as well because I need something for music (I have a lot and the Nexus' sound quality isn't great) but the Nexus is better in most other ways. Highly recommended.
sponsored links
Old April 13th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogar View Post
Coming from a LG Optimus 2x (the first dual-core phone ever yay!) I swore I would never own a LG device ever again.

But low and behold I caved due the to N4's amazing price point for what you get. So far I'm super impressed with the phone. When I'm using the device, it makes me confident that it'll last for years given it can handle almost any tasks I'm doing without freezing or hiccups.

The only thing that makes me unsure about the longevity of this phone is that it's pretty fragile. The only way I see myself getting another phone in the next little while is if I physically break it, which is pretty likely!

Actually for the time it came out i kinda liked the 2x lol then again i kinda liked the optimus black/lg marquee to so that aint sayin much. But i thought it was decent for the time it was released.
Old April 16th, 2013, 02:52 PM   #32 (permalink)

Carrier: T-mobile Vmobile and Bmobile

I've been following this phone since it came out, in fact I switched services just to get this phone with T-mobile. Although It had been sold out from google for a few months finally when the playstore restocked back in late Jan I jumped on it and purchased the phone. This is absolutely the best phone I have ever had hands down. Fluidity is great. Screen is crisp and clear. Have no problem with apps. The only really major issue that might concern you is battery life, which does get better with 4.2.2 but at the same time you still might have to charge it at least once through out the day depending on use.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, HTC Thunderbolt, ASUS Transformer Prime

Send a message via AIM to Treknologist Send a message via MSN to Treknologist Send a message via Yahoo to Treknologist

I'm very happy with mine. The phone is amazingly fast and the pure Android experience has been great. I did get Nova Prime launcher on mine given how customizable that is as a launcher. This is a phone I can recommend without hesitation. Also knowing that I'll be getting the next Android version very quickly is another plus.
Old April 18th, 2013, 11:51 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 Nexus 7 Atrix 2
Carrier: AT&T

Very happy with my Nexus 4. If I had a wayback machine I'd use it to order my phone as soon as they came out instead of waiting a week.
Old April 24th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new optimus View Post
I agree, settings and kernel make a big difference.
How do you get so much time? I have franco kernel installed , brightness almost minimum and every sinc disabled. Any extra advice?
Old April 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlon View Post
How do you get so much time? (24hrs + 3-4 screen) I have franco kernel installed , brightness almost minimum and every sinc disabled. Any extra advice?
I get similar time with max brightness, sync, GPS and WiFi on using a stock, unrooted N4.

ROMs, kernels make little difference. The stock kernel is well optimized. Power savers like Juice Defender often use more juice than they save. Task killers and memory boosters/optimizers are evil.

Setup is the thing. The more you follow the KISS rule the better the results.
lightsleeper23 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
lightsleeper23 (April 24th, 2013)
Old April 24th, 2013, 09:03 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast

Thanked 5,834 Times in 3,294 Posts
jhawkkw

Over the weekend, I managed to almost pull 6 hours of screen time out of mine, but I was also using it almost all day and thus it only had 11 hours of uptime. Auto-Brightness, AOKP & Faux Kernel with auto sync and GPS enabled.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
I get similar time with max brightness, sync, GPS and WiFi on using a stock, unrooted N4.

ROMs, kernels make little difference. The stock kernel is well optimized. Power savers like Juice Defender often use more juice than they save. Task killers and memory boosters/optimizers are evil.

I agree.

My setup, mostly just personal preference.
Auto brightness, used to keep it on max but this light sensor seems to do its job well, wifi on almost constantly (as its connected to wifi most of the time) bluetooth off unless actively using, sync off, gps off unless using. I make sure to shut down all apps when I am done using, I also have it set to kill the process when I leave the app, in stock settings developer menu.
Screen time out is set to 1 minute.
I try not to recharge (unless I know I wont be near the charger) until it gets down to 10 or less %. Dont really think that affects things much as these batteries are not supposed to have the memory effect but old habits and all.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #39 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 4 - Rooted & Unlock, Stock 4.3, (VM) HTC V EVO 4G- Rooted & Unlock -Angry Bean 4.2

More than happy, came from another carrier 2 weeks ago, and im very happy with tmobile speeds and the nexus 4 perfomance and display 10/10 , but what really impressed me is the battery life im getting with the N4, im a heavy user and i get pass 8 hours of usage and still have enough juice to make it to the night before i plugin the charger.

N4 best money spent on a phone Happy User here
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by new optimus View Post
...gps off unless using. I make sure to shut down all apps when I am done using, I also have it set to kill the process when I leave the app…
Leaving GPS off is kinda pointless since it turns itself off when not needed.

Shutting down apps is unnecessary and wastes power. Killing processes is even worse. DO NOT use any task killer or memory optimizer. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance. Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

See:
http://lifehacker.com/5650894/android-task-killers-explained-what-they-do-and-why-you-shouldnt-use-them
...for a full explanation.
sponsored links
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:30 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Leaving GPS off is kinda pointless since it turns itself off when not needed.

Shutting down apps is unnecessary and wastes power. Killing processes is even worse. DO NOT use any task killer or memory optimizer. They actually waste power and may disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Android is excellent at handling processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance. Just let Android do it's job, relax and enjoy your phone.

See:
Android Task Killers Explained: What They Do and Why You Shouldn't Use Them
...for a full explanation.
I dont mean using a app, I mean android itself. I close the app android shuts it down.

I agree 3rd party apps that do this just run constantly and hinder your battery life and may slow down android.
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

Right now I have 20% of battery, 12h24 total, 3h of screen time and 3h of WiFi, with average utilisation of music. Sinc off, GPS off, auto brightness (franco kernel). I usually can't get more time
Old April 26th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #43 (permalink)

Bit bored of my N4 now. Needs a new lease of life somehow but I haven't got time to flash ROMs and set everything back up again.

Any ideas?
Old April 26th, 2013, 06:34 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Bit bored of my N4 now. Needs a new lease of life somehow but I haven't got time to flash ROMs and set everything back up again.

Any ideas?
Wait and see what KLP has to offer. It may blow our minds. Most likely not, but it might just be the freshness you are looking for.

Until then try a new live wallpaper, switch stuff around, look for a cool new widget, or a launcher can sometimes do the trick.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #45 (permalink)

Thanks.

I'm not expecting a great UX departure from KLP but we'll see what happens.

On the other things, I've looked at a few things. I'm using Nova Launcher, have tried Chameleon Launcher which looked interesting but isn't ready yet.

I've never been happy with live wallpaper, even on the N4 I find that it causes some slowdown and kills the experience for me. Plus I like my Newcastle United pictures!

Widgets - any recommendations? I'm struggling to find anything really useful. I have APW, quite like the Google Now widget, using Google Keep, Clock is sorted, Power Toggles is on, one screen of pictures of my Son and Wife...
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast

jhawkkw

I don't know about nova, but I know that apex launcher pro permits the use go launcher along with standard nova /apex themes. Applying one of these can radically change the look of your phone and keep it fresh. Having this along with a CyanogenMod based rom like cm10.1 or aokp, etc which has its own theme manager that allows even more changes to keep your experience fresh.
Old April 26th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I don't know about nova, but I know that apex launcher pro permits the use go launcher along with standard nova /apex themes. Applying one of these can radically change the look of your phone and keep it fresh. Having this along with a CyanogenMod based rom like cm10.1 or aokp, etc which has its own theme manager that allows even more changes to keep your experience fresh.
Thanks, maybe I do need to give CM or PA a try if I have time... I like the look of PIE controls anyway.
Last edited by MartinS; April 26th, 2013 at 08:07 AM. Reason: typo
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlon View Post
Right now I have 20% of battery, 12h24 total, 3h of screen time and 3h of WiFi, with average utilisation of music. Sinc off, GPS off, auto brightness (franco kernel). I usually can't get more time
That's not too good.

The usage sounds similar to my weekday usage, but my battery is rarely far under 50% when I pop it back on charge - and that's more like 15 hours after taking it off.

Only time I get as low as 20% is say when I've used the turn-by-turn for an hour or more without a charger attached.

Most of my music (well, podcast) listening is done on headphones - I guess that would use a little less power than the speakers.

The only difference I can see is that I'm using the stock kernel.
Old April 26th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #49 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
Thanks, maybe I do need to give CM or PA a try of I have time... I like the look of PIE controls anyway.
I tried to use them, and found myself triggering them accidentally more often than I would like. They're pretty awesome otherwise though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
MartinS (April 26th, 2013)
Old April 26th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Thanks.

I'm not expecting a great UX departure from KLP but we'll see what happens.

On the other things, I've looked at a few things. I'm using Nova Launcher, have tried Chameleon Launcher which looked interesting but isn't ready yet.

I've never been happy with live wallpaper, even on the N4 I find that it causes some slowdown and kills the experience for me. Plus I like my Newcastle United pictures!

Widgets - any recommendations? I'm struggling to find anything really useful. I have APW, quite like the Google Now widget, using Google Keep, Clock is sorted, Power Toggles is on, one screen of pictures of my Son and Wife...
Eye in the sky weather widget is really a nice one. I also fin calwidget really nice. Keeps you calendar appointment right on your home screen. Looks pretty good too. You can the background of it transparent and just see the events and dates.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Tags
advice, happy, nexus 4, upgrade

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4