Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Banished Angel

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

oppenpop@gmail.com
Question Net10 Sim & $50 1-Month Unlimited at Walmart?

When the N4 was first announced, I did a ****load of research and decided to jump ship when my Verizon contract expired. Had it all planned out to go with AT&T through Straight Talk.

Well, contract expired and I just received my shiny new N4 and it has been sitting in the box since Tuesday because I'm at a loss regarding which carrier to use now that AT&T is no longer an option.

I was in Walmart a couple days ago and saw a Net10 package that has a sim card, micro sim card, and a $50 prepaid unlimited everything card for a grand total of $65. I have done some searching online but I can't find this package anywhere.

I posted over on the XDA forum and was directed to ebay to get the sim. I have never used ebay. I did some searching and found it pretty confusing to figure out exactly what I am looking for.

Can someone tell me if I should just go over to Walmart and get the package so I can get my phone up and running or is it worth it to hunt through ebay for a sim card?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

If you really want to use Straight Talk and go through AT&T you can still find Micro SIMs out there. The price is jacked up because they aren't making them anymore, but there is still inventory.

For example:
Amazon.com: Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card: Cell Phones & Accessories
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus

Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppendroid View Post
When the N4 was first announced, I did a ****load of research and decided to jump ship when my Verizon contract expired. Had it all planned out to go with AT&T through Straight Talk.

Well, contract expired and I just received my shiny new N4 and it has been sitting in the box since Tuesday because I'm at a loss regarding which carrier to use now that AT&T is no longer an option.

I was in Walmart a couple days ago and saw a Net10 package that has a sim card, micro sim card, and a $50 prepaid unlimited everything card for a grand total of $65. I have done some searching online but I can't find this package anywhere.

I posted over on the XDA forum and was directed to ebay to get the sim. I have never used ebay. I did some searching and found it pretty confusing to figure out exactly what I am looking for.

Can someone tell me if I should just go over to Walmart and get the package so I can get my phone up and running or is it worth it to hunt through ebay for a sim card?

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
You can get the $65 option from walmart, it comes with the sim plus the first month of service so you pay about $15 for the sim, that seems normal from what I can find for net 10 sim. I have seen the same sim with no first month listed on ebay for .99 cents but by the time you order and pay shipping you might as well just go with the walmart deal.
Old April 7th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banished Angel View Post
If you really want to use Straight Talk and go through AT&T you can still find Micro SIMs out there. The price is jacked up because they aren't making them anymore, but there is still inventory.

For example:
Amazon.com: Straight Talk AT&T Compatible Micro SIM Card: Cell Phones & Accessories
Holy crap, I was letting mine expire. Maybe I should keep it going just to sell it
Old April 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Incredible

oppenpop@gmail.com
Question

Thanks for the info so far.

The package at Walmart is T-Mobile. Is there any reason I should pursue a micro-sim on ebay for AT&T? I've been on Verizon for so long (10+ years) I have no clue if there is a significant difference between the two.

I'm in Rochester, New York. Does anyone have info about the Net10 services through either AT&T or T-Mobile here?

Thank you again!
Old April 7th, 2013, 08:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

T-Mobile has faster data speeds, but AT&T has much better coverage in rural areas. Since you're in New York coverage shouldn't be an issue for you. I'd recommend you just go through T-Mobile. As long as you don't do something like sign a contract you can always switch providers if you don't like the service.
ajm216 likes this.
Old April 16th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-mobile Vmobile and Bmobile

you can always buy a Sim to micro sim card cutter off ebay, I got mine for 5$
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Just got that same package at Walmart yesterday. Let me clarify what you actually get..
You get 2 AT&T Sims, a standard and a micro. You only get one Tmo standard sim. Instead of the biggest waste of 5 dollars and ordering one from ebay, you're better off taking it to an AT&T or T-Mo store(either one should be near you). Dude at the AT&T store gladly cut my Tmo sim..I tipped him a couple bucks....better than paying more online and then waiting forever.

The headache I have now is porting my old number to net10..on the same phone. I mean really they're both owned by tracfone so I don't get the delay.

Don't try cutting the sim with scissors...you..will...fail.
Old April 17th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,003 Times in 3,769 Posts

I have had such a headache trying to activate Net10. First we bought the sim card & 1 month credit to activate and tried to do it online. It kept failing and returning an error to call customer service. After calling up and talking to a rather rude rep, they incompetently activated the one month code to someone else's sim card! We asked them to switch it back to ours or credit our account with the credit since we gave them a valid code, and they REFUSED!. Then they said we wasted our money and to buy another card and try again. Absolutely unacceptable. So we tried calling Tracfone itself to sort it out, and they said they could transfer the credit. However in doing so, they fubared the sim card we were trying to use, and now we're waiting for another one to arrive. I'm using the T-Mobile 30 dollar plan, but this is for my brother since T-Mobile won't fix the tower at his house that won't hold a good connection and keeps dropping service. But where I live, T-Mobile is great, but there's no HSPA+42 in the Rochester Metro area unfortunately.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old April 17th, 2013, 09:02 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): GN - stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by realizm View Post

I used a sharp kitchen knife and an old micro-sim as the template. No problem.
sponsored links
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john30308 View Post
I used a sharp kitchen knife and an old micro-sim as the template. No problem.
I'm proud of you..
But really, you're a small percentage of people that got lucky doing it. Fit is everything with these so I would advise getting an exact fit by having a store cut it. The first one I cut using scissors and a micro sim as a template did not work. Despite them both looking identical in size, the one I cut was ever so slightly smaller(a mm if that!) than a normal micro sim and my nexus could not even tell I had a sim in it after powering back on.
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Sorry to be off topic....

But can somebody please post a link to proper(everything works!) apn settings for a Net10 Tmo sim???

Really, I've searched and scoured the internet for days. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old April 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus

Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
I'm proud of you..
But really, you're a small percentage of people that got lucky doing it. Fit is everything with these so I would advise getting an exact fit by having a store cut it. The first one I cut using scissors and a micro sim as a template did not work. Despite them both looking identical in size, the one I cut was ever so slightly smaller(a mm if that!) than a normal micro sim and my nexus could not even tell I had a sim in it after powering back on.
I cut my sim down, though I had already ordered a microsim

I cut it badly but I was able to use discarded pieces of the sim to position it in the tray and got it to work, it took several trys and was a pain in the ass, but it let me continue to use the phone until the microsim came in.
Old April 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Just got that same package at Walmart yesterday. Let me clarify what you actually get..
You get 2 AT&T Sims, a standard and a micro. You only get one Tmo standard sim. Instead of the biggest waste of 5 dollars and ordering one from ebay, you're better off taking it to an AT&T or T-Mo store(either one should be near you). Dude at the AT&T store gladly cut my Tmo sim..I tipped him a couple bucks....better than paying more online and then waiting forever.

The headache I have now is porting my old number to net10..on the same phone. I mean really they're both owned by tracfone so I don't get the delay.

I'm 3/3 so far using scissors and a template i print.. just tape down the sim to the sheet of paper with clear tape. draw the lines and use the scissors to cut it. trip the plastic if it doesn't fit and it works every time. just take care not to take off too much plastic. if you aren't comfortable with the scissors then use a nail file to make it fit.
Old April 18th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid x2, Nexus 4
Carrier: AT&T Straight Talk and Verizon

oppendroid,

If you want AT&T there are other MVNOs out there that use the same AT&T towers that Straight Talk uses. Pure Talk seems to have a decent plan for ~$44/month. Unlimited Talk, Text, 600 MMS and 1GB data. Only draw back is that if you go over the data or MMS allowance, they automatically add in $10.00 from your credit card to cover the next 100 MMS and 100 MB of data.

There are many others; Google is your friend. Or Howard Forums has a pretty good list going in the Prepaid forums.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4