Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

New Forums: Nexus 6 | Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By caspian915

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 22nd, 2013, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Tmobile subsidized Nexus

I'm looking to replace my N4 because it broke. I bought it from Google and started the $30 plan on tmobile.

Since I kinda don't want to drop another $30th now, can someone explain the $50/$60/$70 plans, specifically are you locked in after you pay off the phone? I know it's a month to month thing, but once I pay off the phone (if I pay it off early), must I stay with tmobile and move around only those plans? Can I ever switch back to the $30 plan?

I ask because I work offshore, so the $30 plan works best for me. I am dropping money on a new apartment now, though, hence the interest in buying from tmobile instead of Google and paying off later.

Thoughts?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 22nd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 w/ LTE
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian915 View Post
I'm looking to replace my N4 because it broke. I bought it from Google and started the $30 plan on tmobile.

Since I kinda don't want to drop another $30th now, can someone explain the $50/$60/$70 plans, specifically are you locked in after you pay off the phone? I know it's a month to month thing, but once I pay off the phone (if I pay it off early), must I stay with tmobile and move around only those plans? Can I ever switch back to the $30 plan?

I ask because I work offshore, so the $30 plan works best for me. I am dropping money on a new apartment now, though, hence the interest in buying from tmobile instead of Google and paying off later.

Thoughts?
The way it works is T-mobile charges $500 for the phone (might be $450, I don't remember). You make a down payment, then the remainder is divided into 20 interest free payments that are added to your monthly bill.

You have no contract with T-mobile. If you cancel your service the only thing you owe is the remainder of your payments. There is no ETF because T-mobile no longer has contracts or subsidized phones.

As far as what plans you can use, I don't know. I just have my family plan that works for my family.
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"

-Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile, Google Fiber Internet

Once you drop the $30 plan you cannot go back.

Have you checked into getting your N4 repaired?
Registered Linux user #266531 since 2001. Android user since v1.0.
Last edited by Crashdamage; April 23rd, 2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus

Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,005 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Once you drop the $30 plan you cannot go back.

Have you checked into getting your N4 repaired?
While true I think you can just buy a new sim card and activate the $30 plan on it, and then just link it to your current account.

but this is just from reading what other people have been saying on it.

The real question I have is.. Are they going to keep the $30 plan for long term or is it just a promo that will eventually go away.
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Started with the original G1, currently Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile, Google Fiber Internet

The $30 plan is for new customers only. To leave it then go back is not impossible, but difficult. You have to convince T-Mobile you're a new customer again, be willing to get a different phone number, etc.

As for how long it will be available... who knows but no plans last forever.
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4, HTC EVO 4G Sold, LG Esteem Wifes, Samsung Galaxy Prevail, Samsung Nexus S 4G, LG Optimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
The $30 plan is for new customers only. To leave it then go back is not impossible, but difficult. You have to convince T-Mobile you're a new customer again, be willing to get a different phone number, etc.

As for how long it will be available... who knows but no plans last forever.
This is just what I read on the forums, I have not tried it, nor do I need to.

If you go to activate sim card and chose the $30 plan (while on t mobiles website) there is a option to link this with a current account.

Now beyond that I dont know, maybe it means a second phone line with a separate number maybe it can replace the one there.
Old April 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I bit the bullet and bought a new one from Google because I don't have time to wait for however long it takes LG to repair the phone and I don't have the ability to repair it myself where I work right now.

Losing the $30 plan was not worth it. I'm offshore half or more of my time, so it would be a big loss. I'm hoping to buy the repair stuff on eBay when I get home and then sell the old one used.
Riotpump likes this.
Old April 25th, 2013, 02:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian915 View Post
I bit the bullet and bought a new one from Google because I don't have time to wait for however long it takes LG to repair the phone and I don't have the ability to repair it myself where I work right now.

Losing the $30 plan was not worth it. I'm offshore half or more of my time, so it would be a big loss. I'm hoping to buy the repair stuff on eBay when I get home and then sell the old one used.
Sounds like a good plan.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4