Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NPickles

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 30th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Email searching -am I missing something

I have just upgraded to the Nexus 4 from an HTC Sensation which was running ICS.

The Nexus 4 is great but so far I am missing something which is quite important to me, I can't seem to search my emails which is causing me some problems.

I am using the stock android email app (not Gmail) for my 2 MS Exchange work email accounts. On the HTC in their email app there was a dedicated search button as there is in the Nexus 4 Gmail app, but apparently not in the stock email app that I can find.

I have tried using the google search facility to search the phone but there seems to be no way to make it search my emails, email isn't available as an option in the phone search options.

Can someone point me in the right direction with this please because otherwise it's a bit of a showstopper for me.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 16,372 Times in 8,761 Posts

Do you need to use the stock email app? You could try one of the 3rd Party email apps, K9 or aquamail, they might offer that function.
Old May 1st, 2013, 04:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
I have just upgraded to the Nexus 4 from an HTC Sensation which was running ICS.

The Nexus 4 is great but so far I am missing something which is quite important to me, I can't seem to search my emails which is causing me some problems.

I am using the stock android email app (not Gmail) for my 2 MS Exchange work email accounts. On the HTC in their email app there was a dedicated search button as there is in the Nexus 4 Gmail app, but apparently not in the stock email app that I can find.

I have tried using the google search facility to search the phone but there seems to be no way to make it search my emails, email isn't available as an option in the phone search options.

Can someone point me in the right direction with this please because otherwise it's a bit of a showstopper for me.
Unless Exchange e-mail accounts are different, I use the stock app for Hotmail and to search I just tap the magnifying glass icon (second from the left at the bottom of the main e-mail screen) and enter search text. So long as I have a 3G or WiFi connection, this will search the mail on the server, not just what I have downloded to the phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to SiempreTuna For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (May 1st, 2013)
Old May 1st, 2013, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiempreTuna View Post
Unless Exchange e-mail accounts are different, I use the stock app for Hotmail and to search I just tap the magnifying glass icon (second from the left at the bottom of the main e-mail screen) and enter search text. So long as I have a 3G or WiFi connection, this will search the mail on the server, not just what I have downloded to the phone.
Is that on a stock Nexus 4 ? I have a magnifying glass for searching in the Gmail app but not in the stock email app, seems to be a bit of a glaring omission on Googles part to not be able to search your Exchange emails.
Last edited by NPickles; May 1st, 2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Do you need to use the stock email app? You could try one of the 3rd Party email apps, K9 or aquamail, they might offer that function.
I would prefer to use the stock email app, I don't see why I should have to pay for a 3rd party mail app to be able to search Exchange emails on a Nexus 4 which I would see as such basic functionality for any smartphone not just the latest greatest Google Nexus device, especially when my previous phones, an HTC Sensation and before that an HTC Desire, could both do this but then they were running an HTC skinned version of Android with HTC Sense. Would people be prepared to pay extra for an alternative dialler app if you couldn't search for contacts in the stock one, probably not, they'd get a different phone.
Last edited by NPickles; May 1st, 2013 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Rejig answer
Old May 1st, 2013, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 16,372 Times in 8,761 Posts

Fair comment. K9 is free though.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Presidente View Post
Fair comment. K9 is free though.
I checked out a load of email clients, K9, Aquamail, Touchdown etc and there was always some gotcha that stopped it doing what I wanted, doing what the stock email app did and to be able to search for emails.

Looks like the Nexus 4 is not for me, I'm sending it back to O2 and getting an HTC One instead, which happens to have double the storage at 32Gb plus I know I can search for emails in the HTC email app.
El Presidente likes this.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPickles View Post
Is that on a stock Nexus 4 ? I have a magnifying glass for searching in the Gmail app but not in the stock email app, seems to be a bit of a glaring omission on Googles part to not be able to search your Exchange emails.
Yes - entirely stock.

I guess it's an issue with Exchange mails.

I'm sure you'll be absolutely delighted with the HTC One though - it sounds awesome.

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4