Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kelmar
  • 1 Post By Skyroket

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 2nd, 2013, 11:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Sell me on the N4

I'm trying to decide between the N4 and the SGS3. Help me decide, please!

Retired: LG Ally / 2.2.1 / rooted running Velocity 1.1
sponsored links
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Done by choice

Device(s):

Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,658 Posts

+Fast and timely OS updates (when they exist). No carrier bloatware.
- No external storage. Glass back.

I like my N4, I really do. But it's not the perfect phone nor the perfect phone for everyone.

Wouldn't even consider the sgs3 at this point because the sgs4 is out.
saptech likes this.
Old May 2nd, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

yeah, why go with SG3 when SG4 is out?

If SG4 or N4... that's a tough decision! If you going unlocked then n4 wins it's only $350 vs $750. $299.99 Carrier's SG4 comes locked, bloatware,plus software update has to through samsungs then carrier,,oy! It's frustrating! 2 year commitment ! On the other hand you get LTE,removable battery,expandable memory,1080p,13mp cam and lots more. Phonedog reviewed international version 8 core edition and AAron said that it kinda lags, not that smooth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-arZEFIU8c0
saptech likes this.
Last edited by Skyroket; May 2nd, 2013 at 01:55 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Skyroket For This Useful Post:
hotalings (May 8th, 2013)
Old May 2nd, 2013, 07:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have both and i like my sg3 better. In my opinion its the better device hands down. Better camera i like the amoled screen better and its just as snappy in everyday use as the n4. It just feels better in the hand to me. Alot of people will bring up the older processor and yea its true the s3 has last years processor in it but the original s4 dual core processor was and still is a beast. In everyday use it is just as quick as the s4 pro quad core. They could still put the original s4 processor in todays new devices and it would power them with zero problems. Now the n4 is a little more future proof as with the galaxy 4 out samsung will soon discontinue updating the s3 but it will get at least the 4.2 update and maybe one more so it will still be a relevant device for at least a year.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 03:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

I'd get the HTC One if I was buying now.

Nexus 4 is good though.
Old May 3rd, 2013, 05:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm going to assume that the S4 and HTC One are both out because of price (if not, then I'm with the HTC One).

Given a straight N4 v S3 fight .. well, obviously, it's horses for courses and depending on how you want to use your phone, there could be a stand out winner - for example, if you absolutely have to have two or three movies on your phone at all times, the S3 is the way to go. If you're an Android purist and want the phone that will keep getting latest versions longest (and before everyone else), it has to be the N4.

For me, they're both excellent phones and each has it's advantages. I'd be happy with either - I'm absolutely delighted with my N4 - so I'd go for whichever works out cheaper overall.

If you're going with a carrier-subsidised phone rather than buying outright, you're probably going to get a better deal on the S3 - the N4 deals I've seen look really lousy, though I haven't checked them in a while.

If you're able to buy outright, I think the N4 is probably going to be the cheaper option.

Given the choice, I prefer to buy outright and not be tied to a network, but if you have a really good legacy deal - say with unlimited interweb at a really good price - that could swing things the other way.
Last edited by SiempreTuna; May 3rd, 2013 at 05:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SiempreTuna For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (May 3rd, 2013)
Old May 5th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm in a similar position to the OP - I cannot decide whether to go for the N4 or SGS3 to replace my HTC Sensation.

The N4 is a great looking handset, running latest and pure version of Android (I really like it on my Nexus 7). It has great processor and speeds as well, however the limited storage and lack of expansion or OTG support is a concern.

The S3 is a cheap, plasticky looking phone and after having the HTC I'm unsure about the Samsung UI. It has a slightly inferior processor (although not much difference if we're honest -UK spec quad core), however it does only have half the RAM of the N4. It's main plus points are the expandable storage.

The price difference between the two in the UK at the moment is only 40 (N4 being the cheaper).

Do I need more than 16GB? My HTC is currently running with 16GB memory card - I have 3.5GB free at the moment. I'm not a fan of Cloud storage and streaming generally as I prefer my music on my phone. I can't imagine that I would ever have more than 1 film at a time on my phone - but who knows, this could change.

Most of my browsing etc at home is done on the N7.

Help, why would the N4 be the better choice, or would it not be?

Nexus 4
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 4 brings comes after months and months of rumors. This is Google's first time partnering with LG to make a Nexus device. The Pure Google smartphone features the latest and greatest Android 4.2 software version, along with stunning spe... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 4