Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5 - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree47Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default Unlocking the Bootloader???

I remember that LG Motion had problems with unlocking the bootloader. Do you think that this will be a problem with LG Nexus 5?

__________________
Who!
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 11th, 2013, 04:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Carpe Cerevisi
 
iowabowtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In The Shadows
Posts: 9,449
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 4,716
Thanked 6,528 Times in 3,472 Posts
Default

Absolutely not. It's a Nexus.

fastboot oem unlock

And done.
iowabowtech is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iowabowtech For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 11th, 2013)
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Yeah, the hardest part about unlocking a Nexus bootloader is geting the drivers configured correct.
EarlyMon and Twin Prime like this.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines / Meet the Team
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 11th, 2013)
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:07 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I have never had, nor know that much about Nexus, but I'm about to get one.
alfick3 and Twin Prime like this.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morgankslade For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (October 11th, 2013)
Old October 11th, 2013, 09:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
Carpe Cerevisi
 
iowabowtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In The Shadows
Posts: 9,449
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 4,716
Thanked 6,528 Times in 3,472 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
I have never had, nor know that much about Nexus, but I'm about to get one.
That deserves a congrats! I wish I could join you but I must sit this one out due to being a Verizon customer. Bottom line...you will have guaranteed unlock, root, and development from day one. Its a thing of beauty. And I'm jealous.
alfick3, morgankslade and zipred like this.
iowabowtech is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iowabowtech For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 12th, 2013), Rxpert83 (October 12th, 2013)
Old October 11th, 2013, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 23
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

fastboot oem unlock
x4sper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I am gonna Google "fastboot oem unlock." I don't have a clue what this is. I'll get back after some studying.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
I am gonna Google "fastboot oem unlock." I don't have a clue what this is. I'll get back after some studying.
More or less, once you have the drivers set up, open a command line terminal in the location of Google's fastboot sdk file and type that command in the terminal while the device is connected to the computer in fastboot/bootloader mode. No exploits needed.
Slayer72, Twin Prime and zipred like this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 12th, 2013), zipred (October 13th, 2013)
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Well I have did some studying...I have read and installed Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot on my PC.

I am getting used to this new terminology. I will be ready when the time comes.
alfick3 and zipred like this.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to morgankslade For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (October 12th, 2013), zipred (October 13th, 2013)
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,087
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,618
Thanked 11,768 Times in 6,777 Posts
Default

Its a piece of cake Like others have mentioned the hardest part is just getting things set up the first time you ever do it.

I'm sure once the device is released well have a proper step by step guide you can follow just to make sure you're off on the right foot, and were always more than happy to answer questions or troubleshoot
morgankslade, Slayer72 and zipred like this.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 12th, 2013), Slayer72 (November 9th, 2013), zipred (October 13th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 405
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 / 7 -- followed by Note 3 / Experia Z1s
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 99
Thanked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabowtech View Post
Bottom line...you will have guaranteed unlock, root, and development from day one. Its a thing of beauty.
True, it's so exciting. I tried twice last year to buy a Nexus 4 upon release, but I didn't have the secret phrase to negotiate the maze of issues during the launch. LOL.

This year I'll be hot on the site getting my order in lightning fast and early. With some luck and a better launch on Google's part I hope to secure one.

It's almost like gambling in Vegas
Slayer72 likes this.
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zipred For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (October 13th, 2013)
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Yeah, hopefully it won't be a repeat of last year. That was one of the biggest disasters ever as far as launches go.
Slayer72 likes this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (October 13th, 2013)
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
zipred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: By The Pacific Ocean
Posts: 405
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 / 7 -- followed by Note 3 / Experia Z1s
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Thanks: 99
Thanked 143 Times in 97 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Like others have mentioned the hardest part is just getting things set up the first time you ever do it.

I'm sure once the device is released well have a proper step by step guide you can follow just to make sure you're off on the right foot, and were always more than happy to answer questions or troubleshoot
Where in the forums here should I watch for the guide on how to setup my Nexus 5 once I have it in hand?

Anything I should read / study beforehand to get up to speed?

I'm new to Android and wish to spend my time wisely learning this OS by reading the right stuff. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

THANKS
zipred is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
Where in the forums here should I watch for the guide on how to setup my Nexus 5 once I have it in hand?

Anything I should read / study beforehand to get up to speed?

I'm new to Android and wish to spend my time wisely learning this OS by reading the right stuff. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

THANKS
Chances are high that I or another staff member will put together a sticky on unlocking, rooting, and custom recovery once the device is released and all the necessary tools(drivers, su zip, twrp/cwm made for the phone) are out.
zipred likes this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
zipred (October 14th, 2013)
Old October 14th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,087
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,618
Thanked 11,768 Times in 6,777 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Chances are high that I or another staff member will put together a sticky on unlocking, rooting, and custom recovery once the device is released and all the necessary tools(drivers, su zip, twrp/cwm made for the phone) are out.
I've got one written out for the manual method of the 2012 nexus 7 that we'll just have to change some links on. (& add the fastboot OEM unlock step, this was for rerooting)




It'll probably be a good idea to add a section for the various toolkits once they come about
zipred likes this.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (October 14th, 2013), NYCHitman1 (November 2nd, 2013), zipred (October 14th, 2013)
Old October 14th, 2013, 04:31 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
Where in the forums here should I watch for the guide on how to setup my Nexus 5 once I have it in hand?

Anything I should read / study beforehand to get up to speed?

I'm new to Android and wish to spend my time wisely learning this OS by reading the right stuff. Any suggestions are highly appreciated.

THANKS
Welcome to the forums. A great place to get any info you may need for your beloved android device.
It will probably be on the thread Nexus 5 All things root.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shelliewnj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Gender: Female
Posts: 846
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 :), Samsung Galaxy Tab 2, Pantech Burst updated to ICS (retired)
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 214
Thanked 193 Times in 159 Posts
Default

when are we getting them? it's gonna be my first nexus and i'm excited! LOL
morgankslade likes this.
shelliewnj is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelliewnj View Post
when are we getting them? it's gonna be my first nexus and i'm excited! LOL
The unveiling should be within the next week or two if history is any indicator, with a launch near the end of the month or early November.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
shelliewnj (October 14th, 2013)
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I hope history doesn't repeat itself as far as being able to get one.
jhawkkw likes this.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelliewnj View Post
when are we getting them? it's gonna be my first nexus and i'm excited! LOL
I am ready as well. Also my first.
shelliewnj likes this.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Congrats to both of you making the jump to the Nexus line. It really is a much better way, imo, to use android. No bloat, no lockdown of the sim or bootloader of your device, lots of custom rom/kernel development, and timely updates straight from google with no carrier or manufacturer modifications or delays.
morgankslade and Slayer72 like this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 14th, 2013), shelliewnj (October 14th, 2013), Slayer72 (November 9th, 2013)
Old October 14th, 2013, 06:46 PM   #22 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,087
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,618
Thanked 11,768 Times in 6,777 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
timely updates straight from google with no carrier or manufacturer modifications or delays.
Fingers crossed, looking at you sprint
jhawkkw and Slayer72 like this.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:52 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Gatman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Cleveland, OH
Gender: Male
Posts: 224
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 Droid RAZR Maxx HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 116
Thanked 51 Times in 29 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to Gatman Send a message via AIM to Gatman Send a message via MSN to Gatman Send a message via Yahoo to Gatman
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
I hope history doesn't repeat itself as far as being able to get one.
This is what I am worried about. I remember reading all the stories about the long wait for the N4. I am ready to pull the trigger the day it goes on sale though.

I am also a tad concerned about battery life. I will be coming from a Droid RAZR Maxx, and I really love the battery life on this phone.

~Gary
Gatman is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 09:57 PM   #24 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatman View Post
This is what I am worried about. I remember reading all the stories about the long wait for the N4. I am ready to pull the trigger the day it goes on sale though.

I am also a tad concerned about battery life. I will be coming from a Droid RAZR Maxx, and I really love the battery life on this phone.

~Gary
Many of us share your concern regarding availability. We can only hope google finally gets it right.

As for battery life, modern day chipsets have become much more efficient that being 4-5 hours of screen on lte seems like a reasonable expectation. It's I get about 3-4 hours of screen on lte and 4-5 on wifi with my Nexus 4.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

I am a light user...I easily get 14 on SGS3. I am on WiFi most of the time.
Looking at that 3-5 hrs. sucks.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,457
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus HSPA+, Nook HD+, HP Touchpad w/ CM10 and Nook Color (previously rooted)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 123
Thanked 484 Times in 301 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
I've got one written out for the manual method of the 2012 nexus 7 that we'll just have to change some links on. (& add the fastboot OEM unlock step, this was for rerooting)




It'll probably be a good idea to add a section for the various toolkits once they come about
I imagine WUG will likely also quickly update his toolkit to include the Nexus 5.
mogelijk is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mogelijk For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (October 15th, 2013)
Old October 15th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
I am a light user...I easily get 14 on SGS3. I am on WiFi most of the time.
Looking at that 3-5 hrs. sucks.
Those 3-5 hours are with the screen on. Normal operation generally includes standby time, which you should be looking at a lot more, especially if you're a light user. On a light day with about 1.5 hours of screen, My Nexus is at about 53 percent at the end of the day which is roughly 16-17 hours off the charger.
morgankslade likes this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
morgankslade (October 15th, 2013), Rxpert83 (October 15th, 2013)
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #28 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,087
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,618
Thanked 11,768 Times in 6,777 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogelijk View Post
I imagine WUG will likely also quickly update his toolkit to include the Nexus 5.
Agreed. But everyone still needs a basic understanding of how to do it manually when the sky starts falling
jmar and jhawkkw like this.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (October 15th, 2013)
Old October 15th, 2013, 01:13 PM   #29 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
Agreed. But everyone still needs a basic understanding of how to do it manually when the sky starts falling
Plus Wug's toolkit won't help our mac or linux friends
jmar likes this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 11:10 AM   #30 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Norcross, GA
Gender: Male
Posts: 7
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Rikomagic MK802 III, Galaxy Tab - P7500, Galaxy Note 10.1 - N8000
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Unlocking the bootloader really shouldn't be a problem as other's have said. But i'd advise any noob to wait for demonstration videos before they try doing it
flexyneat is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old October 31st, 2013, 12:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 13
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

With Nexus phones, they are made very simple to unlock the bootloader.
woodythegreat is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Must you unlock bootloader before inserting SIM?
I will be using on MPCS BYOD.
morgankslade is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:13 PM   #33 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
Must you unlock bootloader before inserting SIM?
I will be using on MPCS BYOD.
Nope, it can be unlocked whenever you want. It's just preferred to do it as the very first thing you do because it completely wipes the device.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:22 PM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
morgankslade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southeast, Michigan
Posts: 765
 
Device(s): Nexus 5 v. 4.4.2 Slimkat w/Franco FKU R32, Purity ROM , Moto G, LG F6
Carrier: MPCS

Thanks: 647
Thanked 98 Times in 79 Posts
Default

So unlocking bootloader and unlocking device are two different things???
I need not worry about unlocking device SIM, its unlocked already?
Unlock bootloader and root, install custom recovery, backup.
THEN insert SIM and activate on MPCS BYOD?


Oh..check out all things root.
morgankslade is offline  
Last edited by morgankslade; November 2nd, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:36 PM   #35 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
So unlocking bootloader and unlocking device are two different things???
I need not worry about unlocking device, its unlocked already?
Unlock bootloader and root, install custom recovery, backup.
THEN insert SIM and activate on MPCS BYOD?


Oh..check out all things root.
The device is SIM unlocked, which means it's not locked to any carrier. However the bootloader is locked for security reasons. It is easily unlocked, but doing so invokes a full data wipe. Once unlocked, your free to flash to any partition of the device which makes rooting extremely easy. Flash custom recovery, then flash root zip file while in recovery.
iowabowtech and morgankslade like this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (November 1st, 2013), morgankslade (November 1st, 2013)
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:48 PM   #36 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
rhray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 41
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 11
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Once unlocked, your free to flash to any partition of the device which makes rooting extremely easy. Flash custom recovery, then flash root zip file while in recovery.
I believe this is the first device I'll try to learn things manually. One of the smaller complaints of the Galaxy Nexus was the lack of external storage. (I've learned I like to keep my "I don't wanna lose these when I flash stuff" files there) When you mention partition and I know the different partitions Recovery, Boot, system... My question is would there be a way to re-partition the main user storage area into two parts where one would be a virtual external storage?

My gut tells me that could risk bricking the phone but I'm always looking for setups.
rhray is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhray View Post
I believe this is the first device I'll try to learn things manually. One of the smaller complaints of the Galaxy Nexus was the lack of external storage. (I've learned I like to keep my "I don't wanna lose these when I flash stuff" files there) When you mention partition and I know the different partitions Recovery, Boot, system... My question is would there be a way to re-partition the main user storage area into two parts where one would be a virtual external storage?

My gut tells me that could risk bricking the phone but I'm always looking for setups.
I have never tried to change the partition map of a device. I don't personally see the practicality of splitting the userdata partition into two parts since it seems like it would only restrict the device more than help. Custom recovery is already altered so that when you wipe for rom flashing that it skips over the area you store your files in.
iowabowtech likes this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (November 1st, 2013), rhray (November 1st, 2013)
Old November 1st, 2013, 11:33 PM   #38 (permalink)
Carpe Cerevisi
 
iowabowtech's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: In The Shadows
Posts: 9,449
 
Device(s): LG G2
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 4,716
Thanked 6,528 Times in 3,472 Posts
Default

My advice is to not attempt to alter the partition schedule. Either move larger files to a PC or to the cloud for storage. There's no reason to run into issues with a 16, let alone 32 GB device.
iowabowtech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 05:24 AM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgankslade View Post
Well I have did some studying...I have read and installed Android SDK, ADB and Fastboot on my PC.

I am getting used to this new terminology. I will be ready when the time comes.
I remember being nervous and feeling overwhelmed my first time unlocking, installing a custom recovery and rooting my Nexus device. It gets easy once you go through it.

I highly recommend modding using command line. From my experience the one click program solutions tend to run into problems during the process and also it feels great to know and understand the process in modding your android device
jhawkkw likes this.
jairusz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2013, 11:12 AM   #40 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

I have moved this to the Root subforum since there is some technical information in the thread now.

Just to give everyone a heads up, a guide to unlock the bootloader and root is more or less finished. Once we have a proper recovery file meant for our device and a root binary that is confirmed working it will be posted.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:01 PM   #41 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I have moved this to the Root subforum since there is some technical information in the thread now.

Just to give everyone a heads up, a guide to unlock the bootloader and root is more or less finished. Once we have a proper recovery file meant for our device and a root binary that is confirmed working it will be posted.
I believe that Chainfire posted the flashable root binary files on his XDA thread for the N5 (along with CF-Auto-Root).
__________________
I talk to corporate like a BAWSS!

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Franco / Glitch
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCHitman1 For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (November 2nd, 2013)
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:09 PM   #42 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
I believe that Chainfire posted the flashable root binary files on his XDA thread for the N5 (along with CF-Auto-Root).
Might be able to post it soon then because twrp has a recovery image out now as well.
NYCHitman1 likes this.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
NYCHitman1 (November 2nd, 2013)
Old November 2nd, 2013, 06:06 PM   #43 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Might be able to post it soon then because twrp has a recovery image out now as well.
Can't wait to get those cmd lines going! Lol
mysticalnyte likes this.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
rhray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 41
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: MetroPCS

Thanks: 11
Thanked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I have moved this to the Root subforum since there is some technical information in the thread now.

Just to give everyone a heads up, a guide to unlock the bootloader and root is more or less finished. Once we have a proper recovery file meant for our device and a root binary that is confirmed working it will be posted.
Just wanted to say that thanks to this thread and the sticky root guide above. I forced myself to learn how to manually unlock and root (and basic fastboot and adb commands) instead of resorting to Windows based scripted tools. Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!
iowabowtech likes this.
rhray is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rhray For This Useful Post:
iowabowtech (November 5th, 2013), jhawkkw (November 5th, 2013), Rxpert83 (November 4th, 2013)
Old November 4th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #45 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood
 
Rxpert83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MN
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,087
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 13,618
Thanked 11,768 Times in 6,777 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhray View Post
Just wanted to say that thanks to this thread and the sticky root guide above. I forced myself to learn how to manually unlock and root (and basic fastboot and adb commands) instead of resorting to Windows based scripted tools. Couldn't have done it without you guys. Thanks!
Knowing how to do it can really save your rear someday

Congrats! I'm sure the effort will be worth it.
Rxpert83 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:06 AM   #46 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Gender: Male
Posts: 149
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, 16 GB Black
Carrier: Rogers Canada : 6 GB Super Plan

Thanks: 25
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Say is there anyway to unlock the bootloader and root without wiping the device? Or at least is there any way to backup and easily restore things such as my apps, settings, contacts and messages? Basically everything besides music since that's just a drag'n'drop operation for me...

I really wanna root but really dislike wiping devices.

Also, if I root and then a 4.4.1 update comes out; does the update remove the root?
elemein is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #47 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,235
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,399
Thanked 1,430 Times in 974 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemein View Post
Say is there anyway to unlock the bootloader and root without wiping the device? Or at least is there any way to backup and easily restore things such as my apps, settings, contacts and messages? Basically everything besides music since that's just a drag'n'drop operation for me...

I really wanna root but really dislike wiping devices.

Also, if I root and then a 4.4.1 update comes out; does the update remove the root?
The update will likely remove root, but root is easy to achieve. There is no way to avoid the factory reset set in motion by unlocking the bootloader. However, there are backup solutions (that don't require root) like Helium. How good they work? I don't know, but I'm sure someone around here does.
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:52 AM   #48 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Gender: Male
Posts: 149
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, 16 GB Black
Carrier: Rogers Canada : 6 GB Super Plan

Thanks: 25
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
The update will likely remove root, but root is easy to achieve. There is no way to avoid the factory reset set in motion by unlocking the bootloader. However, there are backup solutions (that don't require root) like Helium. How good they work? I don't know, but I'm sure someone around here does.
Thanks for the help, I guess I'll haveta wait and see if anyone around here knows how well they work before I take the leap.

However, just a quick question: with root, are we "notified" or "pushed" the next droid update, or do we have to go fetch it ourselves manually?
elemein is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #49 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

It is possibly to unlock without the factory reset, but it requires being rooted before unlocking. Obviously this is a contradiction for the first unlocking because you need to be unlocked to root in the first place, but once rooted, you can use an app to unlock/lock on the fly and it doesn't invoke a factory reset. If a root exploit were found to work without needing unlocking, then you could hypothetically unlock without the wipe. However root exploits are not generally looked for on Nexus devices are more often come by accident from other devices, like Framaroot or Motochopper.
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #50 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada, Ontario
Gender: Male
Posts: 149
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, 16 GB Black
Carrier: Rogers Canada : 6 GB Super Plan

Thanks: 25
Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
It is possibly to unlock without the factory reset, but it requires being rooted before unlocking. Obviously this is a contradiction for the first unlocking because you need to be unlocked to root in the first place, but once rooted, you can use an app to unlock/lock on the fly and it doesn't invoke a factory reset. If a root exploit were found to work without needing unlocking, then you could hypothetically unlock without the wipe. However root exploits are not generally looked for on Nexus devices are more often come by accident from other devices, like Framaroot or Motochopper.
Does that mean once I root/unlock the bootloader initially I'll be able to root without needing a factory wipe? Does that include if I update my Android version?

Also, is there a backup app that backs up Contacts, Apps and App Data, and my Settings and preferably anything else?
elemein is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.