Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By bjacks12
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By SiempreTuna
  • 2 Post By John Bean
  • 1 Post By Hook

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus5 - Nexus10
Carrier: Sprint

Default Nexus 5 Speculation

My contract is up in September and I want to get a Nexus device. I already have a Nexus 10 but I'd like to get a Nexus 4.

Quick question, do we think the Nexus 5 will be out before the end of the year? I know the Nexus phones have a tradition of being released in November. If so, I will probably wait. If not, I will probably grab a Nexus 4.

Thank you so much!

PS. Off-Topic, if they release an upgraded Nexus 10 I may upgrade that too! I love my Nexus 10 so much!

"If anyone's head is acting an antenna, seek help or wear tin foil." ~ EarlyMon
Last edited by ArmageddonX; July 8th, 2013 at 10:23 AM.
sponsored links
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

Nexus 4 is so inexpensive I'd be less likely to wait. It'll get the next bunch of Android updates so it's not like you'll miss out on a whole lot in the Nexus 5.

You will need a new carrier though most likely.
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Yes, I am really looking forward to the new carrier part =)

I appreciate the advice, thank you.
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 4
Carrier: Straight Talk(AT&T)

I'm guessing the next big feature for the Nexus line will be LTE. I thought about waiting, but don't have LTE on my carrier anyway, plus my craptivate died....bought the 4 and have no regrets. It's a pretty future-proof phone.
Frisco likes this.
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,298 Posts
jhawkkw

If the past 3 years are any indication, it will absolutely be out by the end of the year. The last two years, Google has held a press conference to announce/unveil it in the end of October, then release it early to mid November. Who makes it and what it will contain as far as hardware specs go is uncertain though, only rumor.

Nexus S: December 16, 2010
Galaxy Nexus: November 17, 2011
Nexus 4: November 13, 2012
Fuzzy13 likes this.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
Last edited by jhawkkw; July 8th, 2013 at 10:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy13 (July 14th, 2013)
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacks12 View Post
I'm guessing the next big feature for the Nexus line will be LTE. I thought about waiting, but don't have LTE on my carrier anyway, plus my craptivate died....bought the 4 and have no regrets. It's a pretty future-proof phone.
Yes, I have been considering the future of LTE and would like a phone equipped with 4G. That would probably be the only determining factor for me.

I would like to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon. I know that T-Mobile is making Phoenix (where I live) a priority for their new LTE network. However I know that Verizon does not support the Nexus 4. In addition the Nexus 4 does not have LTE, so IDK what to do TBH.

I know I want a Nexus phone because of the superior experience I've have on my Nexus 10. That's the only thing I am sure of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
If the past 3 years are any indication, it will absolutely be out by the end of the year. The last two years, Google has held a press conference to announce/unveil it in the end of October, then release it early to mid November. Who makes it and what it will contain as far as hardware specs go is uncertain though, only rumor.
Thank you so much! I figured this would be the deal with the new release. I think I will wait patiently and weight my options. =)
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast

jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjacks12 View Post
The Nexus line has had LTE in the past. The Galaxy Nexus on Verizon and Sprint has LTE, but had crappy battery life and was bastardized from the mainline of Nexus devices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmageddonX View Post
I would like to switch to T-Mobile or Verizon. I know that T-Mobile is making Phoenix (where I live) a priority for their new LTE network. However I know that Verizon does not support the Nexus 4. In addition the Nexus 4 does not have LTE, so IDK what to do TBH.

I know I want a Nexus phone because of the superior experience I've have on my Nexus 10. That's the only thing I am sure of.

Thank you so much! I figured this would be the deal with the new release. I think I will wait patiently and weight my options. =)
Don't expect Verizon to carry the Nexus 5 either. However, if you're up to rooting and a little software modding, you can pick up T-Mobile LTE on the Nexus 4. That's what I've done.
Fuzzy13 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy13 (July 14th, 2013)
Old July 8th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Not only will the N5 be out by the end of the year, I have an idea they may even get the supply sorted this time

Be very interesting to see what happens with pricing - hopefully, they'll stick with the N4 pricing model (for those tightwads among us - I'm thinking of me), but there's no guarantee ..
jhawkkw likes this.
Old July 8th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Carrier: Straight Talk(AT&T)

If the N5 lacks LTE, and you want the pure Google experience, you may look into the Google Play version of the Galaxy S4 or the HTC One. A little more pricy, but they'll have LTE among other features.

So far HSPA+ is more than good enough for me....I'm already burning through my data alottment, lol.
Old July 8th, 2013, 01:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I'm sure I'd be more than happy with the Nexus 4. My logic is that it'd be silly to upgrade to the Nexus 4 if the Nexus 5 is just a few months away, that's all. Not a slight on the Nexus 4 at all, because it is a very (very) nice phone.
sponsored links
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I'm sure I'd be more than happy with the Nexus 4. My logic is that it'd be silly to upgrade to the Nexus 4 if the Nexus 5 is just a few months away, that's all. Not a slight on the Nexus 4 at all, because it is a very (very) nice phone.
Absolutely!

The N5 is only 4 or 5 months off: I'd definitely hold out to see what it has to offer. In the (rather unlikely) event it doesn't rock your boat, you could always buy an N4 then.

I think my N4 is awesome but that doesn't mean the N5 can't be better - I'd be absolutely gobsmacked if it wasn't.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4, Nexus 7, Motorola Milestone
Carrier: 3

If the Nexus 5 comes to be its name implies it will have a 5" screen - far too big for a phone IMO. The Nexus 4 hits a sweet spot for me as a phone; any bigger and it wouldn't fit places I need a phone to fit.

Now an updated Nexus 4 is another matter and I'm sure it will appear in due course. But I doubt that a Nexus 5 ever will.
Old July 9th, 2013, 03:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bean View Post
a 5" screen - far too big for a phone IMO.
Depends on how they seat the screen in the device, i.e. bezel size. If you take a ruler to your N4 you'll see it would support a 5-inch screen with a very minimal bezel, so let's hope they go that route.
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecc View Post
Depends on how they seat the screen in the device, i.e. bezel size. If you take a ruler to your N4 you'll see it would support a 5-inch screen with a very minimal bezel, so let's hope they go that route.
.. that is pretty much what the S4 did, so you would have to hope that the N5 would do something similar. There's certainly plenty of space to increase the height of the screen without increasing the width within the exact same size 'shell'.

Have to say, I'm not sure where the N5 = 5" screen comes from. The 4 isn't 4", the 3rd Nexus wasn't 3" .. and of course, the original Nexus didn't have a 1" screen Plus, the iPhone 5 doesn't have a 5" screen ..

Also, I'm not sure that an extra fraction of an inch in screen size is going to convince many people to upgrade. I know bigger screen sizes have been one of the few changes in phones over the last couple of years, but surely we've hit the limit on that? You have to hope that the next generation of phones will have something that's actually new. For a change.
Last edited by SiempreTuna; July 9th, 2013 at 06:03 AM.
Old July 9th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Have to say, I'm not sure where the N5 = 5" screen comes from. The 4 isn't 4", the 3rd Nexus wasn't 3" .. and of course, the original Nexus didn't have a 1" screen Plus, the iPhone 5 doesn't have a 5" screen ..
Blowing aside the iPhone chaff (it uses a different numbering system) and considering only the current "Nexus x" models (where "x" is a number) then the "x" is an indicator of the screen size - not exact of course, but 4.-something in the case of the Nexus 4. Similarly the Nexus 7, Nexus 10 relate to the screen size of each device.

Perhaps Google will change its mind and start to use the number as a generation indicator like Apple does with the iPhone, but the new Nexus 7 (still 7, note) tells me that this is unlikely unless the screen size changes.

There again some marketing droid may decide that the existing screen is near enough 5" to call it a Nexus 5 anyway without changing a thing. We'll have to wait and see :-)
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #16 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)

Device(s): Nexus One (retired), Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 4 (donated to son), Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

Quote:
Blowing aside the iPhone chaff (it uses a different numbering system) and considering only the current "Nexus x" models (where "x" is a number) then the "x" is an indicator of the screen size - not exact of course, but 4.-something in the case of the Nexus 4. Similarly the Nexus 7, Nexus 10 relate to the screen size of each device.

Perhaps Google will change its mind and start to use the number as a generation indicator like Apple does with the iPhone, but the new Nexus 7 (still 7, note) tells me that this is unlikely unless the screen size changes.

There again some marketing droid may decide that the existing screen is near enough 5" to call it a Nexus 5 anyway without changing a thing. We'll have to wait and see :-)
Actually, though admittedly nit picking, only Tablets have had numbering reflecting screen size, while, as pointed out, the phones never have. I'm guessing that if the Nexus 5 is "Nexus 5," it will be a generational number even if it has a 5" screen.

They will no doubt have to name the Nexus generation 7 phone to avoid confusion.

Nexus 7 (2012) wifi+data (AT&T), Slimkat Build 4, Android 4.4.2, Build KVT49L, Franco Kernel, Art, Nova Launcher.
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #17 (permalink)

jhawkkw

I don't think the Nexus 5 will be a 5 inch screen. The Gnex and Nexus 4 have almost identical screen sizes coming in at 4.65 and 4.7 inches respectively; leading me to believe that they have found their sweet spot as far as size goes.
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I'd be happy with a 5" phone. I don't want anything smaller than that. I don't really want anything bigger than that either because I have a Nexus 10.
Old July 10th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

havent been on android forums for months...but after having my nexus 4 since dec 7th, and being rooted with every rom flashed possible and hanging out on XDA, and having unrooting and returing to stock yesterday..id say the Nexus 5 will have a 4.99" screen released on November/December 5th with Android 5.0..nothing special compared to the nexus 4,...theyd have to make it comparible to the LG optimus G2
Old July 10th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s):

Most likely to be november or december
sponsored links
Old July 11th, 2013, 06:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4

Quote:
I don't think the Nexus 5 will be a 5 inch screen. The Gnex and Nexus 4 have almost identical screen sizes coming in at 4.65 and 4.7 inches respectively; leading me to believe that they have found their sweet spot as far as size goes.
I really hope this is true. This is the perfect size for me
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM   #22 (permalink)

I don't think Google will release a Nexus 5 this year, I have no proof...it's JMO. I kinda think that if LG doesn't make the Nexus 5...Google might wait to see how the Motorola X does & release a Moto Nexus.
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
Actually, though admittedly nit picking, only Tablets have had numbering reflecting screen size, while, as pointed out, the phones never have. I'm guessing that if the Nexus 5 is "Nexus 5," it will be a generational number even if it has a 5" screen.

They will no doubt have to name the Nexus generation 7 phone to avoid confusion.
I like nit-picking :-)

If it is indeed a generational number (like iPhone) I would expect historically to find phones named "Nexus", "Nexus 2" and "Nexus 3" to give credence to that explanation. I don't see them - but I do see a 10(-ish) inch Nexus 10, a 7(-ish) inch Nexus 7 and a 4(-ish) inch Nexus 4, released in that order.

Before the release of the Nexus tablets Nexus phones never used "Nexus N" names; so why choose the name "Nexus 4" for the new Nexus if not to fall in line with the other existing "Nexus N" devices?

Anyway I'm boring even myself now so I'll leave it at that. Time will reveal which theory is the correct one :-)
Old July 11th, 2013, 08:01 AM   #24 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
I like nit-picking :-)

If it is indeed a generational number (like iPhone) I would expect historically to find phones named "Nexus", "Nexus 2" and "Nexus 3" to give credence to that explanation. I don't see them - but I do see a 10(-ish) inch Nexus 10, a 7(-ish) inch Nexus 7 and a 4(-ish) inch Nexus 4, released in that order.

Before the release of the Nexus tablets Nexus phones never used "Nexus N" names; so why choose the name "Nexus 4" for the new Nexus if not to fall in line with the other existing "Nexus N" devices?

Anyway I'm boring even myself now so I'll leave it at that. Time will reveal which theory is the correct one :-)
The first generation Nexus phone was actually called the "Nexus One"
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:23 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
The first generation Nexus phone was actually called the "Nexus One"
Perhaps, but that doesn't fit the "Nexus N" template ("Nexus 1" and Nexus One" are completely different names) and in any case there was no "Nexus 2" or "Nexus 3" to justify the assertion that "Nexus 4" is following any existing generational naming convention. But is is following an existing Nexus screen size naming convention...

Sorry, I really will shut up about this now. Until next time ;-)
Old July 11th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #26 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
Perhaps, but that doesn't fit the "Nexus N" template ("Nexus 1" and Nexus One" are completely different names) and in any case there was no "Nexus 2" or "Nexus 3" to justify the assertion that "Nexus 4" is following any existing generational naming convention. But is is following an existing Nexus screen size naming convention...

Sorry, I really will shut up about this now. Until next time ;-)
I agree that I find it dumb that they went with Nexus S and even dumber with Galaxy Nexus for their 2nd and 3rd generation models. Though Nexus One doesn't follow the template when written, it does follow it when spoken because you wouldn't say it as "Nexus O-N-E". I am anxious to see what will happen when they hit the 7th generation phone due to tablet naming scheme, though I suspect they'll exepct that they'll either change the sequence by then, or expect us to forget thay they've already used that name before.
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:04 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I am anxious to see what will happen when they hit the 7th generation phone due to tablet naming scheme, though I suspect they'll exepct that they'll either change the sequence by then, or expect us to forget thay they've already used that name before.
That's easy - since the name is completely unconnected with the generation ;-)
Old July 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #28 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Wild speculation is about to follow, but here's my guess:

[4" Phone Branding]
Nexus 4
Nexus 4.1
Nexus 4.2
etc

[7" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 7
Nexus 7.1
Nexus 7.2
etc

[10" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 10
Nexus 10.1
Nexus 10.2
etc

The number will correspond to the size of the device and the decimal will correspond to the device version. We wont really know until the new Nexus 7 or the new Nexus 4 comes out. =\
Last edited by ArmageddonX; July 11th, 2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old July 12th, 2013, 04:28 AM   #29 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4

Quote:
Wild speculation is about to follow, but here's my guess:

[4" Phone Branding]
Nexus 4
Nexus 4.1
Nexus 4.2
etc

[7" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 7
Nexus 7.1
Nexus 7.2
etc

[10" Tablet Branding]
Nexus 10
Nexus 10.1
Nexus 10.2
etc

The number will correspond to the size of the device and the decimal will correspond to the device version. We wont really know until the new Nexus 7 or the new Nexus 4 comes out. =\
To some people the naming of additional Nexus 4 devices you predict, may be a little confusing.

I'm sure some people would confuse the name of the phone and the version of android.

Google have a tricky situation to handle to progress this
Old July 12th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooberandy View Post
To some people the naming of additional Nexus 4 devices you predict, may be a little confusing.

I'm sure some people would confuse the name of the phone and the version of android.

Google have a tricky situation to handle to progress this
Drop the "4.1" (start the sequence at 2) and replace the "." with "v". Stylistically the "v2" suffix can be in a different, smaller font with the emphasis still strongly on the "Nexus N" name.

Perhaps something like: Nexus 4 v2
ArmageddonX and Biaviian like this.
sponsored links
Old July 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #31 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)

Device(s): Nexus One (retired), Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 4 (donated to son), Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

Seems a shame to stop this silliness now...

• Nexus One was HTC's first attempt to develop the "One" branding.
  • Nexus S because it was Samsung
  • Galaxy Nexus because it was Samsung, Galaxy was their flagshp branding and they had become powerful enough for top billing.
  • Nexus 4 , the 4th Nexus, because, let's face it, LG has no imagination when it comes to naming phones.

I have, of course, no facts to establish the above-- but it's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Riotpump likes this.
Old July 13th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #32 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Google Android Galaxy Nexus 5S Touch 4g LTE Key Lime Pie Special Limited Edition

The "GAGN5STLTEKLPSLE"... Is that a German word? lol
Last edited by ArmageddonX; July 13th, 2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old July 14th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5. (White 16GB)
Carrier: $60 AT&T pre paid pushing 50-60mbps

Thanked 2,502 Times in 1,431 Posts

I think for sure the N5 will have a 5" screen. 5" on the nose. 3GB Ram and a 2+ Ghz quad-core processor.

Will it have the "unbreakable" display rumored to be on the Note 3?I guess we can always look at the G2 and get an idea being that the N4 and G were one in the same basically. I say this because I still feel that LG is making the N5.
Old July 15th, 2013, 08:25 AM   #34 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Nexus 4 - Rooted & Unlock, Stock 4.3, (VM) HTC V EVO 4G- Rooted & Unlock -Angry Bean 4.2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Default Korean report: “Nexus 5” to be based on LG G2, to come in early October with Android 5

The next Nexus device will be based on the hardware of the upcoming LG G2, claims a Korean site. Dubbed “Nexus 5”, the device is said to arrive in early October with the next version of Android onboard.

SOURCE
The Following User Says Thank You to xploPR For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy13 (July 15th, 2013)
Old July 15th, 2013, 09:00 AM   #35 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Merged Similar Threads. Thanks for your understanding.
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

My thought today as the Moto-X announcement draws closer is that Google might not release a new Nexus phone this year. If they did, they would be in direct competition with the Moto-X, right?
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #37 (permalink)
=Luceat Lux Vestra=

Device(s): HTC One, Galaxy Tab 7" 2 Rooted
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,262 Times in 5,117 Posts

Nexus 5 release date, specs and price rumours | Know Your Mobile

Hmmm...

The Following User Says Thank You to Frisco For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (July 19th, 2013)
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Yeah I'm looking to change carriers as well. Definitely by the fall season. I'm deciding between two phones......Note 3 or the Nexus 5. I keep reading rumors that if LG is indeed making the Nexus 5, it will be based off the G2 that's coming up soon.
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:09 PM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Interesting....well see.
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #40 (permalink)

I note it says "Consistently, the Nexus 5 is said to have a 5-inch 1080p display", the word "consistently" presumably referring to the current Nexus naming convention.
sponsored links

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5