Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By El Presidente

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Nexus 5 looks good

I like the look of the Nexus 5. 5.2 inch 1080 with a super small bezel, yes please. Plus it's got a 3000 mah battery.

sponsored links
Old August 7th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,298 Posts
jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecc View Post
I like the look of the Nexus 5. 5.2 inch 1080 with a super small bezel, yes please. Plus it's got a 3000 mah battery.
The LG G2 isn't the Nexus 5, plus we're not even sure that LG is making the next Nexus at this point in time. Even though the Nexus 4 was based off the Optimus G, they looked nothing alike. Though it is getting me anxious for Nexus 5 rumors now that everything except the Note 3 has been unveiled.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (August 8th, 2013)
Old August 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I know, I was being an ass.

But the Nexus 4 was basically an LG G, apart from a slightly different shell. My money is on the Nexus 5 being very similar to the LG G2. I think they might go with a similar bezel, but I don't think LG will want to give the Nexus all the features of their flagship.

They'll prob ditch the back buttons and the image stabilization cam.
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast

jhawkkw

An interesting rumor popped up, though it's still way to early to draw anything conclusive yet.

Rumor: Motorola Nexus Coming in Q4? – Droid Life
Old August 8th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
An interesting rumor popped up, though it's still way to early to draw anything conclusive yet.

Rumor: Motorola Nexus Coming in Q4? Droid Life
Yup, that rumor is all over the net now. Personally, I want the next Nexus based on the G2. A Motorola Nexus sounds interesting but we'll see what happens in the months ahead.
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Yup, that rumor is all over the net now. Personally, I want the next Nexus based on the G2. A Motorola Nexus sounds interesting but we'll see what happens in the months ahead.
It's intriguing top say the least. Motorola build quality with the kevlar, their amazing radios, with the trademark Nexus shape and I'm in.
Old August 8th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5

Thanked 11,814 Times in 6,808 Posts

I really like the look/specs of the G2

I don't think Google will give moto the nexus this quickly. They're still pushing the fact that the 2 companies operate separately pretty hard.

Plus the moto x has me underwhelmed.

In the end, I'm on a CDMA carrier, so I'm not sure what I'm so excited for
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

The G2 looks quite nice. Guess an N5 based on that could be good.

Quite agree that Moto won't be making the next Nexus: Google's made too many promises about keeping it at arm's length for them to go back on that already. Mind you, we are talking about Google here

Having said that, I think the Moto X looks really good. Same size screen as the N4 but way smaller - works for me. The whole colour though .. And the same price as an S4?

Also, I have some sympathy for the notion that you don't need the latest, greatest, top of the line processors - mid-range processors are so darn powerful these days that they're perfectly capable of doing everything 99% of the population is likely to throw at them, just like on a PC (though I don't expect anyone to here to agree with that )
Last edited by SiempreTuna; August 9th, 2013 at 03:04 AM.
Old August 11th, 2013, 08:11 AM   #9 (permalink)
Need Beer and Mustard

Device(s): LG G2, Moto G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7, HTC Flyer
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 5,421 Times in 3,574 Posts

I believe (please don't quote me on that) that LG said they won't be making a GPE of the G2. Is that a sign it'll be the next Nexus or not?
Also, the UI on the G2 is downright awful! Worse than the first days of Touchwiz.
But, the screen and size layout look to be beautiful. If they can possibly move those buttons to the side but keep everything else the same, I'm game.
Still need to see the Note 3 though.
Old August 11th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by breadnatty08 View Post
I believe (please don't quote me on that) that LG said they won't be making a GPE of the G2. Is that a sign it'll be the next Nexus or not?
Also, the UI on the G2 is downright awful! Worse than the first days of Touchwiz.
But, the screen and size layout look to be beautiful. If they can possibly move those buttons to the side but keep everything else the same, I'm game.
Still need to see the Note 3 though.
For me its going to come down to either Note 3 or the next Nexus. So whatever Google does will be the deciding factor on which phone I'll choose.
sponsored links
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:02 PM   #11 (permalink)

New rumors says LG will infact make the next Nexus. I don't know about you guys but I hope this sticks.

Despite rumors of a Motorola Nexus 5, new speculation calls for an LG Nexus 5 with Nexus 4 pricing
Old August 13th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #12 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
New rumors says LG will infact make the next Nexus. I don't know about you guys but I hope this sticks.

Despite rumors of a Motorola Nexus 5, new speculation calls for an LG Nexus 5 with Nexus 4 pricing
I would have no problem if LG made it again, though they aren't my first choice. However, a 5.2" screen is a major turn-off.
Old August 14th, 2013, 03:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I would have no problem if LG made it again, though they aren't my first choice. However, a 5.2" screen is a major turn-off.
Though LG have done a good job of trimming the bezels to keep the phone dimensions under control. The G2 is only 4.5 mm longer and 2 mm wider than the N4, and it's fractionally thinner.
Old August 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. For me, I love the screen size. I think its pefect due to the onscreen buttons.
Old August 14th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsrennie View Post
Though LG have done a good job of trimming the bezels to keep the phone dimensions under control. The G2 is only 4.5 mm longer and 2 mm wider than the N4, and it's fractionally thinner.
That will hopefully make it more manageable. It's the same approach that Samsung took with the GS4 and it seemed to please many people in that regard.
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way. For me, I love the screen size. I think its pefect due to the onscreen buttons.
I agree, and I like the idea. The problem is that I have small hands. The Nexus 4 is right on the cusp of being usable one-handed for me, and I know that's kind of sad . Most of the time it's fine, but I do have trouble getting to the corners one-handed. I wish I could make my hands bigger so that I could enjoy some of these larger phones
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 15,839 Times in 8,503 Posts

LG Nexus 5 rumors continue to swell up

I said 4.7" was the biggest I'd need, but one of the girls in work has the Experia Z and it's was more manageable than I'd imagined.

If the rumour above is true and the screen on the G2 isn't much bigger than the N4, that sounds doable too.
saptech likes this.
Old August 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM   #17 (permalink)

Another rumor for the Nexus 5. It appears they may use the glass back again. That has me worried. To those that have the Nexus 4, should I be concerned? Does it scratch and crack easily?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Upcoming-Nexus-5-to-be-based-on-the-LG-G2-minus-the-back-buttons_id46479
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #18 (permalink)
Beware The Milky Pirate!

Device(s): Xperia Z1, Nexus 7 3G, HTC One X, SGS3 Mini
Carrier: EE

Thanked 15,839 Times in 8,503 Posts

Scratching/cracking has never really been a concern for me, but I've always had some form of case.

I've heard some bad stories though: The Nexus 4 is possibly the most fragile smartphone ever built (and I wont bother replacing it)
Old August 16th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

jhawkkw

The glass on the back of the Nexus 4 is quite fragile and very slick. If they do use back glass again, I HIGHLY recommend using a case that gives you some grip. The front glass is pretty good though, I don't use a screen protector at all and don't have a single scratch.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
El Presidente (August 16th, 2013), Orion (August 16th, 2013)
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 Asus Transformer prime

Quote:
Another rumor for the Nexus 5. It appears they may use the glass back again. That has me worried. To those that have the Nexus 4, should I be concerned? Does it scratch and crack easily?

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Upcoming-Nexus-5-to-be-based-on-the-LG-G2-minus-the-back-buttons_id46479
The whole glass back debate is a funny one... Yes you do have to be more considered but it's a new piece of tech, you should be considerate. If you want to throw your phone around, buy one of these drop proof, splash proof, sand proof builders phones. I don't use a case or a screen protector, had the phone 8 months now and no problems with front or back. I carry phone in my trouser pocket. I'm careful but not obsessive
Last edited by alackman; August 16th, 2013 at 02:04 PM.
sponsored links
Old August 16th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
The glass on the back of the Nexus 4 is quite fragile and very slick. If they do use back glass again, I HIGHLY recommend using a case that gives you some grip. The front glass is pretty good though, I don't use a screen protector at all and don't have a single scratch.
Yeah I treat my phones like newborn babies. I always have a case and screen protectors. I'm always careful but mistakes do happen. So I'll have to be extra careful if I end up getting this phone.
Old September 17th, 2013, 04:11 AM   #22 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliecc View Post
But the Nexus 4 was basically an LG G, apart from a slightly different shell. My money is on the Nexus 5 being very similar to the LG G2. I think they might go with a similar bezel, but I don't think LG will want to give the Nexus all the features of their flagship.

They'll prob ditch the back buttons and the image stabilization cam.
"Well, I couldn't agree with me more on that one" (special bonus points if you know where that's from without Googling it).

Looks like I was pretty much spot on apart from the image stabilization camera. Pat on the back for me

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5