Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

Like Tree476Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:43 PM   #201 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,008 Times in 3,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato88 View Post
Hahahaha I remember that. We all went crazy complaining about how VZW handled the launch, and #vzwfail (or whatever the hashtag was) was on the trend for awhile, even after the phone was released.
Yep, seems like only yesterday. Plus there were the ever infamous youtube videos of the Verizon executive board about their mission to sell more Droid Razrs, lol. What got lost in all the Verizon mud was that the GSM model launched on time worldwide, even though Google didn't bring it to Google Play until a couple of months later.

Advertisements

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM   #202 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 12,570 Times in 7,251 Posts

Went into the sprint store to talk to the guys about the nexus 5, and it just so happened there was a LG rep in there at the time.

He wouldnt confirm it would be available on sprint, but he said it does support sprint and verizon. According to him, whether or not it actually comes to those carriers is up to the carriers themselves and if they allow it on the network (probably referring to the verizon LTE nexus tablet fiasco going on now).

He also said the nexus 4 supported sprints bands, but they chose not to allow it. I hadnt heard anything about that, so I'm not sure if this guy was actually in the know about things or not.

Anyway, he said it would be out "by the end of the month, which we knew anyway.

Long story short... talked to LG rep, didnt learn much new

Also played with the MotoX while I was there since I havent had a hands on with one yet. Nice phone
Last edited by Rxpert83; October 3rd, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:56 PM   #203 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast

Well, the fact that he said the Nexus 4 supported Sprint infers one of two things. Either the rep is clueless, or that Google/LG didn't submit Sprint's frequencies for approval to the FCC similar to how they didn't submit LTE band 4 for approval. I'm leaning the first one because I could have sworn a tear down of the device revealed that they only LTE it had the hardware for was Band 4. So if that was the case, that means Sprint would have released it as a 3g only device?
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #204 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, GNex (retiring), OG N7, OG Droid (really retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Yeah, I loved the hype of the GNex thread. There were so many wild speculations on the specs. Seems like it's happening all over again.

I'll be happy with the 2300mAh battery if I can get through 18 hours of a day with 2 hours of screen time without a problem. My GNex isn't quite there, even with 4.3 installed.
BRAINZ2013 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schex13 For This Useful Post:
BRAINZ2013 (October 3rd, 2013)
Old October 3rd, 2013, 02:58 PM   #205 (permalink)
AF Contributor

Device(s): Droid Bionic gsm radio 4.4.4 Lenovo yoga tablet Dell pro windows tablet Samsung note 3 Samsung s5
Carrier: Metro/Tmobile/At&T/ Verizon

Lg reps never know anything about the devices they sell . When u call they transfer your call around to 30 reps and no one seems to no anything . Found out from lg tech that the carrier develop the device software on the device and that's all anything about the software would be through the carrier . Lg tech said they only fix issues that carrier can't .
Old October 3rd, 2013, 03:42 PM   #206 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhill View Post
Back to your post though. Neither of those phones makes a great comparison because they both have huge differences. The chipset difference in the One can't be overlooked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronis View Post
The HTC one is a poor comparison because it has a completely different SoC, its just too large of a variable when comparing smartphones.
The HTC One has a less energy efficient CPU but doesn't have to use as much power for screen backlight since it's only 4.7" as opposed to 5". So they could potentially cancel each other out.

And screen is always at the top of Android battery stats, so backlight can make a big difference as well.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:10 PM   #207 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAINZ2013 View Post
Lg reps never know anything about the devices they sell . When u call they transfer your call around to 30 reps and no one seems to no anything . Found out from lg tech that the carrier develop the device software on the device and that's all anything about the software would be through the carrier . Lg tech said they only fix issues that carrier can't .
This was not a customer support rep. I wouldn't ever post something a CS rep told me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Well, the fact that he said the Nexus 4 supported Sprint infers one of two things. Either the rep is clueless, or that Google/LG didn't submit Sprint's frequencies for approval to the FCC similar to how they didn't submit LTE band 4 for approval. I'm leaning the first one because I could have sworn a tear down of the device revealed that they only LTE it had the hardware for was Band 4. So if that was the case, that means Sprint would have released it as a 3g only device?

Yeah I agree. Everything else he was saying at least made sense except for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schex13 View Post
Yeah, I loved the hype of the GNex thread. There were so many wild speculations on the specs. Seems like it's happening all over again.

I'll be happy with the 2300mAh battery if I can get through 18 hours of a day with 2 hours of screen time without a problem. My GNex isn't quite there, even with 4.3 installed.
Any semi current CPU should have no problem with that. My s3 can get 8 hours of screen on time if I need it to.
(Meanwhile I ran my GNEX today and the battery was down near 50% after 5 hours of mostly no screen use, but some listening to music)
jhawkkw likes this.
Last edited by Rxpert83; October 3rd, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:14 PM   #208 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW S4 AOKP mr1 Milestone 2

Thanked 1,316 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
This was not a customer support rep. I wouldn't ever post something a CS rep told me

Yeah I agree. Everything else he was saying at least made sense except for that.
But why would they go through the trouble of supporting Verizon's LTE frequencies/bands if they weren't going to have it approved via FCC? I mean, if it's the same as the Nexus 7 (2013), the internals are supported and FCC approved, so they really, really went out of their way to avoid Verizon.

SIGH.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:16 PM   #209 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkc120 View Post
But why would they go through the trouble of supporting Verizon's LTE frequencies/bands if they weren't going to have it approved via FCC? I mean, if it's the same as the Nexus 7 (2013), the internals are supported and FCC approved, so they really, really went out of their way to avoid Verizon.

SIGH.
Bands verizon is supposed to open up later this year were on the FCC document right?

If so, theres still hope for Verizon.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:20 PM   #210 (permalink)

Quote:

SIGH.
It could just be that this SoC just has them built into it. They may have no intention on letting Verizon use it.
Quote:
Bands verizon is supposed to open up later this year were on the FCC document right?

That band is listed because that is T-Mobile's main band for LTE. If I recall correctly, Verizon isn't going to do a Nationwide roll out on band 4, it's mostly only going to be used in major metropolitan areas to help alleviate network traffic.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (October 3rd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #211 (permalink)

Quote:

I don't see Verizon allowing a device on their network where there would be limited LTE coverage. The rollout of the new bands isn't going to happen over night, and I doubt they'd let that tarnish their superiority complex or increase their support load dealing with calls like "well, my droid got LTE here, why can't this phone?"

Trust me, I want this thing on VZW badly, but I think the chances it happens are 0. I hope I'm proven wrong...
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #212 (permalink)

Quote:
It could just be that this SoC just has them built into it. They may have no intention on letting Verizon use it.
Yes, that's what I mean. If it's truly an S800, the LTE is part of the SoC iirc, which means it intrinsically supports Verizon. They'd have to go out of their way to disable those bands, otherwise it'd have to get FCC approval wouldn't it?
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:25 PM   #213 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, that's what I mean. If it's truly an S800, the LTE is part of the SoC iirc, which means it intrinsically supports Verizon. They'd have to go out of their way to disable those bands, otherwise it'd have to get FCC approval wouldn't it?
Yeah, makes me wonder if they have them disabled in software like they did with the Nexus 4 after they realized they left them enabled.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 04:26 PM   #214 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, makes me wonder if they have them disabled in software like they did with the Nexus 4 after they realized they left them enabled.
Yeah, makes you wonder if there will be a way to re-enable the bands and throw an existing VZW sim into it and just have it work (Yeah, I know, I know...)
Old October 3rd, 2013, 07:53 PM   #215 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus and LG G Pad 10.1

So if this phone is rumored to launch around the end of the month, shouldn't we hear something from Google by now? All this speculation is driving me insane lol.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 08:33 PM   #216 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
So if this phone is rumored to launch around the end of the month, shouldn't we hear something from Google by now? All this speculation is driving me insane lol.
Well, the rumor that has yet to be proven wrong is that the unveil is suppose to be the 14th. If so, only 11 more days.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #217 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid, Galaxy Nexus, Moto X
Carrier: T-Mobile

... and then the rumored release date will lead to another rumored date, until people finally start forgetting about the phone.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 11:38 PM   #218 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
... and then the rumored release date will lead to another rumored date, until people finally start forgetting about the phone.
It just builds hype.

Were all a bunch if android geeks. A new nexus phone isn't going to be overlooked or forgotten.

As long as the hype doesn't overwhelm the actual device (like the MotoX for many), its all in good fun.
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #219 (permalink)

Quote:
It just builds hype.

Were all a bunch if android geeks. A new nexus phone isn't going to be overlooked or forgotten.

As long as the hype doesn't overwhelm the actual device (like the MotoX for many), its all in good fun.
I want some leaks indicating VZW will get it then! STAT! hahahha
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:17 AM   #220 (permalink)

Quote:
I want some leaks indicating VZW will get it then! STAT! hahahha
Rofl, if by some miracle it does come to Verizon, I know a lot of former gnex users who will get a serious case of buyers remorse for upgrading too soon.
drbugsmn likes this.
sponsored links
Old October 4th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #221 (permalink)

Quote:
Rofl, if by some miracle it does come to Verizon, I know a lot of former gnex users who will get a serious case of buyers remorse for upgrading too soon.
Not me. I love this S4 and luckily got it early enough that I was able to keep MDK and thus use loki and have AOKP on it. But there are just some minor quirks/issues when you're not dealing with a Nexus.

I paid full retail for this phone, but it's in pristine condition, so if I can get a Nexus on Verizon I am hoping I can sell this thing for a decent amount. The fact that it's hacked already and not on ME7 would hopefully help the resale.

But yeah, since the chances it comes to VZW is like 0%, I'm just in fantasy land here LOL
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #222 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
That's why I'm waiting. Only the G2 comes close to the features I want, and it is still a little bigger then I really want. It would make a good "settle" as long as I can get AOSP on it if there is no Nexus for VZW.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #223 (permalink)

Quote:
Not me. I love this S4 and luckily got it early enough that I was able to keep MDK and thus use loki and have AOKP on it. But there are just some minor quirks/issues when you're not dealing with a Nexus.

I paid full retail for this phone, but it's in pristine condition, so if I can get a Nexus on Verizon I am hoping I can sell this thing for a decent amount. The fact that it's hacked already and not on ME7 would hopefully help the resale.

But yeah, since the chances it comes to VZW is like 0%, I'm just in fantasy land here LOL
Yeah, it's these quirks that keep me away from owning a non Nexus device. My Asus transformer runs visually stock android, and it's too much of a deviation for me at times. Running anything other than a stock based rom can be very unstable.
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:46 PM   #224 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, LG Spirit, Nexus 7 1st Gen, LG connect
Carrier: T-Mobile USA (MetroPCS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabowtech View Post
Well, it's time. The forum is here...the phone is imminent () and this is our thread. There's been a couple things stirring the last few days, namely the naming of the newest Android 4.4 as KitKat (not Key Lime Pie as previously thought) and a possible sighting of the Nexus 5 as reported by our own Phandroid:

Did Google just leak the Nexus 5 in their KitKat unveiling video? [UPDATE]

Possible Specs (mashup of current speculations/multiple sources/will update as more is known)
  • 2.25 GHz Snapdragon 600/800 quad core processor
  • Adreno 320/330 graphics based on processor selected
  • 5.2" display
  • 2 GB RAM
  • 16/32/64 GB internal storage
  • 10 MP rear cam / 2 MP front cam
  • 3100 mAh battery
  • 4.4 Android OS (KitKat)
So jump in. Nothing is too big or small. All ideas, thoughts, general conversation, whatever about the Nexus 5 shall begin!!
My edits are Bolded and are pretty close as well so expect my spec list to be 90% True sorry i know i came out of no where just wanted to tell op to mabye update there spec list

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 HSDPA 900 / 2100 LTENano-SIM
Qualcomm MSM8974 Snapdragon 800
Quad-core 2.3 GHz Krait 400
Adreno 320/330 graphics based on processor selected
4.96" display 1080p full HD
2 GB RAM Mabye 2.5 GB
16/32/64 GB internal storage
8 MP rear cam with MEMES / 1.2 MP front cam
Non-removable Li-Po 2300 mAh battery (same used in htc one)
4.4 Android OS (KitKat)
Old October 4th, 2013, 12:57 PM   #225 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Aria

I thought the MEMS cam was doubtful... the Sony IMX179 sensor is indeed used in the MEMS stack but Sony also makes that sensor available to other manufacturers for use in their cams. the Meizu MX3 uses the same sensor not sure if its used in any other phones since it is a fairly new product.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexus-5-might-not-feature-a-MEMS-camera-after-all-just-a-Sony-IMX179-sensor_id47942

It does seem like a very good sensor though when combined with decent optics.
Old October 5th, 2013, 02:23 AM   #226 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlede View Post
My edits are Bolded and are pretty close as well so expect my spec list to be 90% True sorry i know i came out of no where just wanted to tell op to mabye update there spec list

GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 HSDPA 900 / 2100 LTENano-SIM
2 GB RAM Mabye 2.5 GB
4.4 Android OS (KitKat)
Snapdragon 800 comes with Adreno 330, so you can take out 320.

Not to be too picky, but I've heard more recently the final screen size is 4.97".

Where the heck did you hear 2.5GB RAM? I definitely doubt that.

Where the heck did you hear 64GB storage?

MEMS camera won't happen. Way too good of a camera module to put in a Nexus ;-)
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #227 (permalink)

I've updated the OP to reflect more recent leaks.
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #228 (permalink)

Device(s): N4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlede View Post

2 GB RAM Mabye 2.5 GB
4.4 Android OS (KitKat)
I am really hoping for an even better camera.
Old October 5th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #229 (permalink)

Device(s): N5

More speculation that it isn't a MEMS camera, with a suposed anonomous source

Nexus 5 Won't Feature Lytro-Like MemsCam Camera Tech (Exclusive) | Digital Trends
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:12 PM   #230 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Telus

64gb I really doubt that and chances of getting 8gb are really slim.
Looking at the history of older nexus phones and tablets and current nexus 7 I really think that we will get 16 and 32 gb.
If it is based on the G2 then think about it. The international version is 16gb and we have the 32gb version. But forget about the external storage especially since it looks like OTG will be supported.
Last edited by nitramus; October 5th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
sponsored links
Old October 5th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #231 (permalink)
ASC
I'm Shy

Device(s): Nexus 5 & Nexus 10

Here's a good leak from Android Police

Nexus 5 Specs
nitramus and Omar Days like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ASC For This Useful Post:
egDonald (October 6th, 2013), Omar Days (October 6th, 2013), Rxpert83 (October 5th, 2013)
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:31 PM   #232 (permalink)

32 GB and OIS! Awesome!
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:47 PM   #233 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post

Nexus 5 Specs
Damn you where faster then me. I was just going to post an other link to the same story from android headlines.
Old October 5th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #234 (permalink)

Nice
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:05 PM   #235 (permalink)

Device(s): N5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post

Nexus 5 Specs
Nice! Anybody got an idea what "Slimport capability" is?
Old October 5th, 2013, 10:29 PM   #236 (permalink)

dude thats like the mother of all leaks lol.

is there anything we don't know? I guess price, announce and release date is all I can think of.

Also i could get behind a 8 MP OIS cam long as the optics are decent.
Old October 5th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #237 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'd definitely like to know more about the camera. Specifically pixel size.
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:17 AM   #238 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbugsmn View Post
Nice! Anybody got an idea what "Slimport capability" is?
Slimport is a technology for outputting HDMI through the USB/charging port. It's built into the N4 (and the 2013 N7) so it's no great surprise to see it on the N5.
drbugsmn likes this.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #239 (permalink)

Just went fast through the manual and it it not called SERVICE manual for nothing. Most of what is in there is completely useless for everyone unless you are literally servicing the device for repair.
One good thing is with the disassemble pics at the end we now know how to remove the battery and put in a bigger. Now we only have to find one.
Do you think the battery from the G2 will fit?
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #240 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid, Galaxy Nexus, Moto X

So battery is not removable? Man....
sponsored links
Old October 6th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #241 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Correct.
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #242 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitramus View Post
Do you think the battery from the G2 will fit?

Doubt it... the G2 battery is probably physically larger then the N5s

Also I need to read up on camera sensors a little more, but the Meizu MX3 uses the Sony IMX179 sensor and has 1.4 micron pixels. I'm not sure if all IMX179 sensors have 1.4 pixels or if thats governed by another part of the camera assembly. Still learning about camera tech! Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
Last edited by Cronis; October 6th, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old October 6th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #243 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cronis View Post
Doubt it... the G2 battery is probably physically larger then the N5s

Also I need to read up on camera sensors a little more, but the Meizu MX3 uses the Sony IMX179 sensor and has 1.4 micron pixels. I'm not sure if all IMX179 sensors have 1.4 pixels or if thats governed by another part of the camera assembly. Still learning about camera tech! Maybe someone more knowledgeable can chime in.
The pixel size of the GS4 is 1.12 I believe. So if that 1.4 is true, that's awesome. Although I couldn't find anything, so could you send me a link to the Sony IMX179 pixel size?

Also, do we know the aperture size of the Nexus 5?
Old October 6th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #244 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Atrix4G
Carrier: AT&T - USA

Quote:
Not too big of a deal breaker for people I hope. If the reason some want a removable battery is so they can carry a spare battery, then there's a solution for sealed batteries: external power pack. Not only will it work for the Nexus "5", but it'll work for all phones and future phones to come. Whereas the spare battery method will only work on one phone.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:01 PM   #245 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Prior: Motorola Droid, HTC Droid Eris

Two questions:

1. How do they measure the screen size in that spec? Vertically, only active screen size? (I'm trying to compare it to other models I have here).

2. I'm thinking of jumping ship from Verizon by getting the unlocked version of this phone. What carrier are you guys thinking is the best one, plan wise? I'm leaning towards ATT Go Phone for $60.
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #246 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Two questions:

1. How do they measure the screen size in that spec? Vertically, only active screen size? (I'm trying to compare it to other models I have here).

2. I'm thinking of jumping ship from Verizon by getting the unlocked version of this phone. What carrier are you guys thinking is the best one, plan wise? I'm leaning towards ATT Go Phone for $60.
Screen size is measured across the diagonal.
As for plan, I'm pretty happy with my T-Mobile 30 dollar plan on my Nexus 4
Rxpert83 (October 6th, 2013)
Old October 6th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #247 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
Two questions:

1) As mentioned above my post, its diagonally, like a TV is measured.

2) If I were to leave sprint I'd go to T-Mobile. Ultimately, you're going to want to check coverage maps and look up data speeds in whatever area you're in
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #248 (permalink)

I'm going to use the $70 unlimited plan on T-Mobile. The $30 plan sounds tempting but I need more.
Old October 6th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #249 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I'm going to use the $70 unlimited plan on T-Mobile. The $30 plan sounds tempting but I need more.
Nothing wrong with that. Both plans are awesome
Rxpert83 (October 6th, 2013)
Old October 6th, 2013, 09:24 PM   #250 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Screen size is measured across the diagonal.
As for plan, I'm pretty happy with my T-Mobile 30 dollar plan on my Nexus 4
I thought T-Mobile and their partners already phased that plan out.
Closed Thread

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5