Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

View Poll Results: How Many Nexus Devices Have You Owned?
Just 1 15 30.61%
I've owned more than 2 22 44.90%
I've bought them all 2 4.08%
Never bought one 10 20.41%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By Brian706
  • 2 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By NYCHitman1
  • 1 Post By MartinS

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2013, 01:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
AGx
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Post The Google Phone - Then and Now

I've been following Android since before Android was known as Android, before Google bought up the project, and before the [HTC] Dream came to life. Having said that, I myself find it odd that I've never owned a Nexus device. Finances got in the way with the Nexus 1, Best Buy got in the way with the Nexus S, and competition for in the way with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

When the Nexus One was released I was still using a G1! Back then we were overclocking and squeezing every bit of juice we could out of our G1's and Hero's and then the Nexus One came along, the first Android utilizing a 1GHz CPU and it blew us away. It was labeled a superphone by many. I wanted one but sadly couldn't afford one.

Fast forward to to today and after watching 4 generations of Nexus devices pass me by, finally having the financial means to get my hands on the kind of phone I'd always wanted, a powerful device running Stock Android, I actually have to ask myself, do I even want it?

I have a Galaxy Note 3 sitting on my desk, which is arguably one of the most powerful smartphones on the market, and in an age where I can, will, and always have rooted and threw a stock ROM on it, I really have to question whether a Nexus is worth it anymore.

Neither the Galaxy Nexus nor the Nexus 4 blew me away the way the Nexus One did and while the Nexus 5 has a lot going for it, it's only major advantages over its comparably specced competition is HDR+, Android 4.4, and that lovely design. It's not the only beautiful device out there, 4.4 will come to other devices, and HDR+ sounds like something that will eventually be emulated in an app.

My question to all who view this, after all the hype and build up, are you blown away by the Nexus 5 and will you still pick it over the competition?

sponsored links
Old October 31st, 2013, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Droid DNA(Red)
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGx View Post
I've been following Android since before Android was known as Android, before Google bought up the project, and before the [HTC] Dream came to life. Having said that, I myself find it odd that I've never owned a Nexus device. Finances got in the way with the Nexus 1, Best Buy got in the way with the Nexus S, and competition for in the way with the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4.

When the Nexus One was released I was still using a G1! Back then we were overclocking and squeezing every bit of juice we could out of our G1's and Hero's and then the Nexus One came along, the first Android utilizing a 1GHz CPU and it blew us away. It was labeled a superphone by many. I wanted one but sadly couldn't afford one.

Fast forward to to today and after watching 4 generations of Nexus devices pass me by, finally having the financial means to get my hands on the kind of phone I'd always wanted, a powerful device running Stock Android, I actually have to ask myself, do I even want it?

I have a Galaxy Note 3 sitting on my desk, which is arguably one of the most powerful smartphones on the market, and in an age where I can, will, and always have rooted and threw a stock ROM on it, I really have to question whether a Nexus is worth it anymore.

Neither the Galaxy Nexus nor the Nexus 4 blew me away the way the Nexus One did and while the Nexus 5 has a lot going for it, it's only major advantages over its comparably specced competition is HDR+, Android 4.4, and that lovely design. It's not the only beautiful device out there, 4.4 will come to other devices, and HDR+ sounds like something that will eventually be emulated in an app.

My question to all who view this, after all the hype and build up, are you blown away by the Nexus 5 and will you still pick it over the competition?
Sure 4.4 will come to other devices but how long will it take? How many GS4s are on 4.3? Nexus devices will always get updates almost immediately.

How could anyone not be impressed with this device? Even if you don't buy it, it is still one of the topped spec devices on the market now and it can be bought outright for about the same price as a Galaxy Note 3 on contract.

That in itself is impressive, I'm not saying other devices are great but the Nexus 5 is without a doubt impressive.

If it was coming to Verizon, I would buy it, but doesn't look like that is an option.
Old October 31st, 2013, 02:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
AGx
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfedude88 View Post
Sure 4.4 will come to other devices but how long will it take? How many GS4s are on 4.3? Nexus devices will always get updates almost immediately.

How could anyone not be impressed with this device? Even if you don't buy it, it is still one of the topped spec devices on the market now and it can be bought outright for about the same price as a Galaxy Note 3 on contract.

That in itself is impressive, I'm not saying other devices are great but the Nexus 5 is without a doubt impressive.

If it was coming to Verizon, I would buy it, but doesn't look like that is an option.
I'm torn on it. I love My Note 3 but I've been waiting for news on the N5 and I like what I see so far (save for the onscreen navigation). I really want to try one out. I could sell my Note 3 and have change leftover after buying the N5.
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 11,804 Times in 6,801 Posts

NExus S, GNEX, and now the nexus 5

However, this is the first I've purchased when it was still considered "new"
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Nexus 5 Rom: Cataclysm 4.4 Recovery: TWRP 2.6 *** Retired: HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,865 Posts

This is my first, and it's not even in my hands yet.

Have some thoughts or questions about the new flagships? Join the discussion here:
HTC One M8|Samsung Galaxy S5
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): N4
Carrier: Not Provided

Upgrading from my N4.

I wouldn't say the N5 will BLOW ME AWAY.. but I expect it to be a nice little upgrade from the N4 . If coming from an older phone before the N4 was released then it will probably will be a huge upgrade to you.
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus

I've only owned the Galaxy Nexus. The Nexus 5 will be my second. Once you go Nexus, you never go back.
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 5,840 Times in 3,298 Posts
jhawkkw

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7(2012 Wifi), Nexus 7 (2013 LTE), and now Nexus 5. This is the best line of phones and it simply can't be beat.
Orion likes this.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Nexus 5 Rom: Cataclysm 4.4 Recovery: TWRP 2.6 *** Retired: HTC Evo 4G, HTC Evo 3D
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 5,199 Times in 2,865 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 7(2012 Wifi), Nexus 7 (2013 LTE), and now Nexus 5. This is the best line of phones and it simply can't be beat.
How would you know? You've never tried anything else.
AntimonyER likes this.
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just one so far, but I might get the Nexus 5 at some point in the future

Low cost cell service, with no contract? Check out Ting.com
...and clicking that link gets you $25.00
sponsored links
Old October 31st, 2013, 03:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB

Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts

I love my nexus devices, but I'm going to have to be satisfied with my Nexus 7 until Verizon either changes course or is forced to allow one on their network.
See something you hate? Hit Report!
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast

jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
How would you know? You've never tried anything else.
I actually owned the Samsung Fascinate (GS1) and Droid Charge(GS1 + LTE) before I owned my Gnex. That was enough to turn me off skinned devices.
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Quote:
You've got that right. I've pledged Nexus devices from here on out. Well, you can add the Moto phones to that list on some capacity..... since they're owned by Google.
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB

Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts

Quote:
I actually owned the Samsung Fascinate (GS1) and Droid Charge(GS1 + LTE) before I owned my Gnex. That was enough to turn me off skinned devices.
To be fair they have gotten much better as of late. But Google continues to take the best ideas and incorporate it into Stock android with the next update.
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntimonyER View Post
To be fair they have gotten much better as of late. But Google continues to take the best ideas and incorporate it into Stock android with the next update.
It is true, but after the Droid Charge's brown "poop" colored theme and getting a look at the Gnex/AOSP Holo theme in ICS I was sold. The old expression "First impressions last a lifetime" explains it best I think.
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
DHO

Device(s): Toro, TF700t

Gnex, just bought an N5

Also depends if you could the OG as a google device.... pretty much was one.
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:33 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid, Galaxy Nexus, Moto X

Galaxy Nexus was the first one for me. Well, the OG Droid was the first for pure Google experience phone.
Old October 31st, 2013, 05:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

jhawkkw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato88 View Post
Galaxy Nexus was the first one for me. Well, the OG Droid was the first for pure Google experience phone.
I think that honor belongs to the T-Mobile G1,not the og DROID. Doesn't get any more first than the first ever android device.
NYCHitman1 and AGx like this.
Old November 1st, 2013, 07:23 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra (White), LG Nexus 5(White), LG Nexus 4 (Black), Pebble (white), Google CR-48
Carrier: T-Mobile (Prepaid)

My first and only one so far is the Nexus 4. Can't wait to get a 5, just need $ first.
Old November 1st, 2013, 08:17 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Droid, Galaxy Nexus, Moto X

Quote:
I think that honor belongs to the T-Mobile G1,not the og DROID. Doesn't get any more first than the first ever android device.
Sorry, I meant OG Droid being "my" first pure Google phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to tomato88 For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (November 1st, 2013)
sponsored links
Old November 1st, 2013, 10:31 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7
Carrier: MetroPCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGx View Post
finally having the financial means to get my hands on the kind of phone I'd always wanted, a powerful device running Stock Android, I actually have to ask myself, do I even want it?

Specifically here you make the point that should sell the Nexus product line itself. I remember the hype before the galaxy nexus. I bought the Verizon version, not aware of how much Verizon would royally screw up the updating process and installing bloatware, etc. I rooted, installed stock and was happy.

Why not get a phone that removes the whole "having to root and then load a stock rom" step in the first place. Then that point is furthered when you understand that carriers actually become the problem itself. Having to spend more money for a software and hardware branded phone that you have to completely wipe and flash to get what you want. Seems like a waste.

I skipped the N4 in favor of the galaxy s3 and I didn't make it more than a week before rooting just to removed that goddamn MetroPCS easy wifi icon. (I'm a minimalist, what can I say?). Now I'm freaking ecstatic to get a completely clean, carrier free, google experience.

And for you, AGx. The greatest part of this whole deal is you could hock that Note 3 on craigslist in less than 24 hours to pay for the N5 right now.

Godspeed.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #22 (permalink)
Gun for Hire

Device(s): Nexus 5

Thanked 1,433 Times in 975 Posts

Personally, I love the barebones setup of AOSP over any OEM UI. The performance gains are unmatched, plus the development on these devices are unparalleled. To date, I've owned HTC's Nexus One, Nexus 7, Nexus 10, Nexus 7 (2013), and now the Nexus 5. I will likely continue to support Google's flagship devices because they all cater to my exact needs.

Quote:
It was one of my favorites too, J.
jhawkkw likes this.

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Franco / Glitch
Old November 2nd, 2013, 12:38 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32GB White, Pebble KickStarter Edition, Nexus 7 16GB, MK808b MiniPc
Carrier: GiffGaff

I have been waiting for the last 2 months since my old contract on my SGS2 ran out... I have been looking at the Huawei ascend P6, the Oppo Find 5 and N1 , the Note 3 and the Sony xperia Z1.

I bought the 32GB White N5 as soon as I could. I should get it monday.

The only 2 Cons for me are the lack of a SD card, but I expected that from a Nexus device, and the lack of an IR blaster.

The camera is bound to be good enough for my needs, I hardly ever take pictures, and so far the reports on the N5 camera have been promising anyway.

I think its the best value android phone on the market. Really impressed.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:00 PM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7

Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Nexus 5 in a few days, Nexus 7. I use the Nexus 7, my son uses the Nexus 4, my daughter uses the Galaxy Nexus.

I use an iPhone 5 for a phone so I have iOS on the phone and Android as a small tablet.
Old November 2nd, 2013, 01:12 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

All of them with more inbetween. See signature. It could be an addiction...
NYCHitman1 likes this.

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Tags
android, galaxy nexus, nexus, nexus 5, nexus one, nexus s, snapdragon

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5