Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By strausd
  • 1 Post By HyperM3
  • 3 Post By BugJuice27

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default MMS won't work on Nexus 5

I have not been able to send a single MMS. I have tried both Hangouts and Textra. It fails every time. I have tried changing from LTE to 3G. And I have tried both APNs that came by default. I am on AT&T.

Anybody know a fix for this?

Advertisements
Last edited by strausd; November 7th, 2013 at 01:38 AM.
sponsored links
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Confirm that your APN setting are correct. I've had that problem when I first got my N4.

Good luck
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5; Samsung Galaxy S5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm216 View Post
Confirm that your APN setting are correct. I've had that problem when I first got my N4.

Good luck
This.

OP, keep in mind that the Nexus 5 is supported on T-Mobile and Sprint out of the box, but not AT&T, so you probably need to change the APN settings for MMS to work. AT&T Tech support should be able to give them to you (if you don't want to google it.)
Old November 7th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Thanks for the replies. I've been searching online for AT&T LTE APNs. Most search results pull up the same APN that is already enabled. Some show some other ones with slight differences. I have tried every single one but none will work.
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,748 Posts

I think they were posted in the Nexus 4 forum for those who lived in areas that had Band 4 deployment. Let me go retrieve them real quick.

Edit: This is what they had
Quote:
Name: AT&T
APN: phone
Proxy:
Port:
Username:
Password:
Server:
MMSC: http://mmsc.mobile.att.net
MMS Proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type:
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4
Bearer: Unspecified

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old November 7th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've tried to send an MMS also and mine didn't work too..
Then I went to settings in hangouts, click on SMS then click on SMS enabled, then click on mobile networks and make sure data enabled has a tick next to it... Mine works now...
The Following User Says Thank You to centuryporter For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (November 7th, 2013)
Old November 7th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I think they were posted in the Nexus 4 forum for those who lived in areas that had Band 4 deployment. Let me go retrieve them real quick.

Edit: This is what they had
Just tried it and it still doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by centuryporter View Post
I've tried to send an MMS also and mine didn't work too..
Then I went to settings in hangouts, click on SMS then click on SMS enabled, then click on mobile networks and make sure data enabled has a tick next to it... Mine works now...
Data enabled is checked by default. But just to be sure, I disabled it, restarted my phone, enabled it, restarted my phone again, and it still didn't work.
Old November 7th, 2013, 04:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I talked to an AT&T rep and they had the wrong IMEI number associated with my phone number. After getting that fixed, my first MMS went through. The problem is that no other MMS has gone through since. It's like it only worked once, and then decided to start sucking again.
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): OnePlus One Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4
Carrier: AT&T

I can tell you that MMS works in Hangouts. I sent several MMS messages with no issues.

Yes, I have AT&T.
Old November 7th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAL8116 View Post
I can tell you that MMS works in Hangouts. I sent several MMS messages with no issues.

Yes, I have AT&T.
Did you get a new SIM after getting your Nexus 5? Which APN are you using? Did you have to call them and tell them your IMEI? Do you have LTE as your preferred network?
sponsored links
Old November 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strausd View Post
Did you get a new SIM after getting your Nexus 5? Which APN are you using? Did you have to call them and tell them your IMEI? Do you have LTE as your preferred network?
All I did was remove my sim card from my Galaxy S4 and put it in my Nexus 5 and I was good to go.
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

So I think I've limited it to a defective unit.
Old November 7th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5

Quote:
No one has asked you this, but is the number you are trying to receive mms on a google voice number? if so only sprint (i think) users can send you mms. tmobile is coming soon while att and verizon users are a no go.
Old November 8th, 2013, 02:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljbad4life View Post
No one has asked you this, but is the number you are trying to receive mms on a google voice number? if so only sprint (i think) users can send you mms. tmobile is coming soon while att and verizon users are a no go.
No it is not a Google Voice number.

I think it is a defective Nexus 5. I took it to the AT&T store today and the manager was trying to get it working for almost an hour. He tried various different APN settings and a new SIM card. After that wouldn't work, he took the SIM out of my phone and put it in his HTC One and it sent an MMS just fine.

Also, whenever I try and send an MMS, it will not work at first. If I restart my phone, it will send the MMS within the first 30 seconds or so after rebooting. After that first 30 seconds of the phone being on, it will not send pictures or any MMS. I don't know how, but it looks like it is a defective unit.
Old November 8th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Gun for Hire

Thanked 1,635 Times in 1,072 Posts

Quote:
No it is not a Google Voice number.

I think it is a defective Nexus 5. I took it to the AT&T store today and the manager was trying to get it working for almost an hour. He tried various different APN settings and a new SIM card. After that wouldn't work, he took the SIM out of my phone and put it in his HTC One and it sent an MMS just fine.

Also, whenever I try and send an MMS, it will not work at first. If I restart my phone, it will send the MMS within the first 30 seconds or so after rebooting. After that first 30 seconds of the phone being on, it will not send pictures or any MMS. I don't know how, but it looks like it is a defective unit.
Have you attempted a factory reset yet?

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Stock / ElementalX
The Following User Says Thank You to NYCHitman1 For This Useful Post:
Gatman (November 8th, 2013)
Old November 8th, 2013, 07:24 PM   #16 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCHitman1 View Post
Have you attempted a factory reset yet?
Yes, I did last night and it helped me pinpoint the problem.

First I booted into safe mode and the problem still persisted. So I tried a factory reset. With no apps, it was working perfectly. So I started reinstalling my apps one group at a time via titanium backup. After each group I would check MMS. Got all my main apps installed and working perfectly. Then I installed some others that weren't a big deal. That's when MMS stopped working again.

At this point I was a little confused because I thought safe mode was supposed to boot up with all 3rd party apps disabled. And since MMS didn't work in safe mode and I pinpointed the fact that it was indeed a 3rd party app, I was confused.

So I go back and do another factory reset. Only install apps from the Play Store. It is all working great so I do a nandroid backup to store my progress so to speak.

About an hour ago, I installed adblock again and MMS stops working. So I'm like "dang it, that's the problem. Got to uninstall it." After I uninstall it, MMS still won't work. So maybe there are some left over files that it couldn't get rid of when uninstalled? I'm not entirely sure.

But I restored my previous nandroid backup where I knew MMS was working. Didn't have to make any major adjustments after that, just a few setting changes here and there.

Ultimately, it looks like adblock was the culprit. Everything worked until I installed it. Then even after uninstalling it and rebooting, it still didn't work, so I had to restore from my backup.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who has had the same problem.
NYCHitman1 and CrystalSC like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to strausd For This Useful Post:
BugJuice27 (November 15th, 2013)
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s): N1, Atrix(dead), Skyrocket, HTC-ONE X (returned), GNex AOKP, N4 AOKP
Carrier: ATT

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3

Glad to hear you got it figured out. MMS can be a tricky thing sometimes. The big problem is that AT&T doesnt have this phones IMEI provisioned for their system. So if you are going to AT&T for the first time with this phone you will have problems most likely. If you are coming from another AT&T phone, just popping the SIM in should be just fine without telling AT&T you switched phones, keep the old phone IMEI in their system.
CrystalSC likes this.
Old November 9th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
Glad to hear you got it figured out. MMS can be a tricky thing sometimes. The big problem is that AT&T doesnt have this phones IMEI provisioned for their system. So if you are going to AT&T for the first time with this phone you will have problems most likely. If you are coming from another AT&T phone, just popping the SIM in should be just fine without telling AT&T you switched phones, keep the old phone IMEI in their system.
Thank you. I'm waiting on my phone which will be my very first android - I currently use an iPhone via AT&T 4G. I am intending to switch to T-Mobile in a couple of months but need to use my AT&T service until then. I was wondering if I could just pop out my SIM and place it in the Nexus.
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): N1, Atrix(dead), Skyrocket, HTC-ONE X (returned), GNex AOKP, N4 AOKP
Carrier: ATT

Send a message via AIM to HyperM3 Send a message via Yahoo to HyperM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSC View Post
Thank you. I'm waiting on my phone which will be my very first android - I currently use an iPhone via AT&T 4G. I am intending to switch to T-Mobile in a couple of months but need to use my AT&T service until then. I was wondering if I could just pop out my SIM and place it in the Nexus.
I believe your iPhone uses a nano-SIM. You might need an adapter because the Nexus uses a micro-SIM.
Old November 9th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
I believe your iPhone uses a nano-SIM. You might need an adapter because the Nexus uses a micro-SIM.
I have a 4S and I think it has a Micro. I believe the 5S uses Nano. I could be mistaken though. I'll double-check. Thanks!
sponsored links
Old November 9th, 2013, 03:06 PM   #21 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalSC View Post
I have a 4S and I think it has a Micro. I believe the 5S uses Nano. I could be mistaken though. I'll double-check. Thanks!
I came from an iPhone 4S on AT&T to a Nexus 4 and then Nexus 5. The iPhone 4S uses a micro SIM, just like the Nexus 4 and 5. So you won't need an adapter. The nano SIM started with the iPhone 5.
Last edited by strausd; November 9th, 2013 at 03:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strausd For This Useful Post:
CrystalSC (November 9th, 2013), Gatman (November 10th, 2013)
Old November 15th, 2013, 02:43 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thumbs up

Quote:
Yes, I did last night and it helped me pinpoint the problem.

First I booted into safe mode and the problem still persisted. So I tried a factory reset. With no apps, it was working perfectly. So I started reinstalling my apps one group at a time via titanium backup. After each group I would check MMS. Got all my main apps installed and working perfectly. Then I installed some others that weren't a big deal. That's when MMS stopped working again.

At this point I was a little confused because I thought safe mode was supposed to boot up with all 3rd party apps disabled. And since MMS didn't work in safe mode and I pinpointed the fact that it was indeed a 3rd party app, I was confused.

So I go back and do another factory reset. Only install apps from the Play Store. It is all working great so I do a nandroid backup to store my progress so to speak.

About an hour ago, I installed adblock again and MMS stops working. So I'm like "dang it, that's the problem. Got to uninstall it." After I uninstall it, MMS still won't work. So maybe there are some left over files that it couldn't get rid of when uninstalled? I'm not entirely sure.

But I restored my previous nandroid backup where I knew MMS was working. Didn't have to make any major adjustments after that, just a few setting changes here and there.

Ultimately, it looks like adblock was the culprit. Everything worked until I installed it. Then even after uninstalling it and rebooting, it still didn't work, so I had to restore from my backup.

Hopefully this helps anyone else who has had the same problem.
I literally made an account just to thank you! So thanks! I`ve been going nuts with this issue!!
JunBringer, Rxpert83 and CrystalSC like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BugJuice27 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (November 15th, 2013), scary alien (January 10th, 2014)
Old November 19th, 2013, 08:26 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus5 - Nexus10
Carrier: Sprint

My MMS seems to be working fine. My only complaint thus far about my Nexus 5 is that Hangouts limits my SMS to 160 characters.
"If anyone's head is acting an antenna, seek help or wear tin foil." ~ EarlyMon
Old November 23rd, 2013, 10:59 PM   #24 (permalink)

MMS won't work now on Go SMS Pro. It was working in Hangouts.

Help! Please!
Old November 23rd, 2013, 11:35 PM   #25 (permalink)

APN settings look okay. I don't know what it could be.
Old November 24th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #26 (permalink)

Was able to correct it.
Old November 25th, 2013, 01:18 PM   #27 (permalink)

Had it working, now it stopped. AT&T has the right IMEI info and all is provisioned okay on their end.

I am able to receive MMS messages but for whatever reason cannot send using Go SMS Pro. Lady at AT&T send me an MMS while we we're on the phone. She asked me to try and send, so I tried to send a pic to my sister and after about 1-2 minutes of it trying to send, I get a message in the notification drop down, that message was unable to be sent. Mind you texting works flawlessly. I wrote to them and awaiting a response. My APN matches that of what was posted above.

I don't know what else to do at this point. Can anyone help?
Old November 27th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #28 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Had it working, now it stopped. AT&T has the right IMEI info and all is provisioned okay on their end.

I am able to receive MMS messages but for whatever reason cannot send using Go SMS Pro. Lady at AT&T send me an MMS while we we're on the phone. She asked me to try and send, so I tried to send a pic to my sister and after about 1-2 minutes of it trying to send, I get a message in the notification drop down, that message was unable to be sent. Mind you texting works flawlessly. I wrote to them and awaiting a response. My APN matches that of what was posted above.

I don't know what else to do at this point. Can anyone help?
Are you rooted? Custom recovery installed?
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Are you rooted? Custom recovery installed?
No and no. What am I noticing though is it seems to be in low signal areas, because when I was in a better signal area MMS went through no problem.

I have never experienced that issue before in any location.
Old December 1st, 2013, 12:41 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC EVO 3D Nexus 5 Samsung Tab 3

Quote:
No and no. What am I noticing though is it seems to be in low signal areas, because when I was in a better signal area MMS went through no problem.

I have never experienced that issue before in any location.
Same problem here, hangouts sometimes sends MMS and sometimes not. It doesn't matter if I'm on WiFi or 3G.
sponsored links
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:55 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl00w View Post
Same problem here, hangouts sometimes sends MMS and sometimes not. It doesn't matter if I'm on WiFi or 3G.
I'm using GO SMS currently but did have the same problem in Hangouts.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM   #32 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

For those still having problems, I'd recommend doing a nandroid backup and then do a factory reset. See if it works then. If it doesn't, then it's a problem with the carrier or phone. If it does, then use Titanium backup to restore apps one by one from your nandroid backup.
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:33 PM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

The way I fix it is just reflash the ROM I am using. I have been using that to fix it since my gnex. I don't know what that does but it works every time. Now what do you do if your stock and want to fix this issue
Old December 6th, 2013, 10:46 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7

Mine worked fine to begin with.. went away.. now has come back.. no updates that i'm aware of.. what gives?
Old December 13th, 2013, 05:35 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Hero, HTC EVO(original) HTC One, Nexus 5 coming soon.

Wondering if anyone have this issue. I received some pictures in a text and when I tap on the picture to enlarge it, it opens a picture from a previous text I sent. Any help is appreciated.
Old December 13th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #36 (permalink)

Carrier: at&t

I used to use Go Pro a few years ago then switched to stock. Now I love handouts via SMS not google account.
Old December 13th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Default A Basic SMS App, To Replace Hangouts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCiX View Post
I used to use Go Pro a few years ago then switched to stock. Now I love handouts via SMS not google account.
I only use basic SMS text a few times per week.

I'm setting up a new box stock Nexus 5 for my wife. What's the easiest app to install & use instead of Hangouts?

Thanks
Old December 15th, 2013, 01:45 AM   #38 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
I only use basic SMS text a few times per week.

I'm setting up a new box stock Nexus 5 for my wife. What's the easiest app to install & use instead of Hangouts?

Thanks
I'm a fan of Textra.
Old December 15th, 2013, 03:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 - rooted, EVO V 4G - retired
Carrier: Straight Talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipred View Post
What's the easiest app to install & use instead of Hangouts?

Thanks

IMO, they are all easy. But you are kind of asking what the best car to buy is; everyone is going to have an opinion. Your best bet is to read reviews and find the one that has the features that you are looking for.

That being said, I like simplicity...... I use 8sms..... And drive a TJ
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s): Ascend Mate2 / Find 7 / OPO / LG G3 / Nexus 5 & 7 / Note 3 / HTC M8
Carrier: AT&T and T-Mobile

Quote:
I'm a fan of Textra.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranhead View Post
IMO, they are all easy. But you are kind of asking what the best car to buy is; everyone is going to have an opinion. Your best bet is to read reviews and find the one that has the features that you are looking for.

That being said, I like simplicity...... I use 8sms..... And drive a TJ
Thanks to both of you.

I chose Textra for my wife's new Nexus 5.

Indeed, it's simple and easy, just what she wanted.

You know what they say, happy wife = happy life ...

I'm in great shape now
sponsored links
Old January 10th, 2014, 06:53 PM   #41 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default MMS is not avail on Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren857 View Post
This.

OP, keep in mind that the Nexus 5 is supported on T-Mobile and Sprint out of the box, but not AT&T, so you probably need to change the APN settings for MMS to work. AT&T Tech support should be able to give them to you (if you don't want to google it.)
I'm on T-Mobile and MMS does NOT work on this phone. End of story. Your provider has nothing to do with it. Google has been wkg on a "fix" since Nov 2013 and come up with nothing. People from all over the world on every carrier are having this issue. It's all over Google forums. The above is a logical comment but --> Carrier is not relevant for this issue.
Old January 11th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #42 (permalink)

Carrier: Going to be T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyPop View Post
I'm on T-Mobile and MMS does NOT work on this phone. End of story. Your provider has nothing to do with it. Google has been wkg on a "fix" since Nov 2013 and come up with nothing. People from all over the world on every carrier are having this issue. It's all over Google forums. The above is a logical comment but --> Carrier is not relevant for this issue.
I'm on T-Mobile and MMS does work on the phone. So, no, it's not universal.
Old January 12th, 2014, 03:00 PM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s): Hannspree SN10T1, Nexus 5
Carrier: O2

I have no problems sending MMS with Hangouts.
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:11 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

No problems here sending mms on my Nexus5...
Old March 30th, 2014, 09:40 PM   #45 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default it works like this

I'm on TMO and had similar problems. Initially i got MMS to work by disabling WiFi. This was a major pain so I found that if I go into the advanced wireless settings and checked the avoid poor connection check box I could send MMS with the WiFi enabled.

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5