Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 11th, 2013, 01:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Scuffs out of the box

Anyone else notice any scuff marks on the back of their Nexus 5? It was only after a day of gentle use that I surprisingly noticed two small scuff marks on the bottom right corner of the back of my white Nexus 5, after carefully looking at my back under bright light. I'm extremely positive that I never touched it with any sharp surface, and I don't think the back is that vulnerable to be honest... If you guys can carefully look at the backs of your Nexus's let me know if you see anything. I'm starting to think it's a factory defect, as I've read about the exact same problem with someone else (but they had it on the top). Should I do something about this?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 11th, 2013, 02:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Nexus 5
Carrier: H3G (Three UK)

I've had mine 9 days now and it's had typical usage; in and out of pockets while standing and sitting with and without clean hands, being placed on all sorts of surfaces, put down in the cup holder in my car and moving around with natural G-force, etc... I've had a good look close-up in good light and can't see any scuffs or scratched. A very slight change in tone where it curves around the edges and some finger marks but that's all. I've got the black one by the way.

Was the box damaged or any packaging tampered with? Were the two bits of white sticky paper sealing the box already ripped when you slid the blue sleeve off?
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Nope, no damage, and everything was sealed. Nothing unusual at all - the phone was perfectly new as it seemed.
... And it's funny that you're throwing your phone everywhere and you haven't scratched it (knock on wood) - that just shows how invulnerable the back is. EDIT: you do have the black version, so that's probably why, as its back is quite rubbery -and that does make it difficult to scratch for sure.
Last edited by Yozer34; November 11th, 2013 at 05:35 AM.
Old November 11th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7

My wife has used hers for a few days and I haven't noticed any problems with it. She keeps it in a special compartment in her bag so it's probably better protected. She doesn't have a case for it yet.
Old November 11th, 2013, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 5 iPad 4 LTE
Carrier: Movistar/Tuenti/Three

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozer34 View Post
Anyone else notice any scuff marks on the back of their Nexus 5? It was only after a day of gentle use that I surprisingly noticed two small scuff marks on the bottom right corner of the back of my white Nexus 5, after carefully looking at my back under bright light.
Could you post a picture?

BTW - the black version can be problematic as well and picks up finger prints and other marks on the back as well - when I showed mine to my partner after having it for just 6 hours she thought I'd got a second hand phone..
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I don't think you'll be able to see them with my small digital camera... but I was thinking about calling Google and letting them know. I know this might sound ridiculous, but it's still considered a flaw, right? And I'm positive I didn't do it myself - as I probably would've felt it because when it comes down to phones I'm extremely careful and sensitive.. plus I have no pets... What do you guys think?
Last edited by Yozer34; November 11th, 2013 at 12:50 PM.
Old November 11th, 2013, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Nexus 5 iPad 4 LTE
Carrier: Movistar/Tuenti/Three

If you think it came marked, I'd definitely send it back if it is going to bug you.

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5