Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 11th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Using Exchange Account on Nexus 5 Disables Lock Screen Widgets?

Hi Guys

On my Gnex, after encrypting the phone, setting a pin and adding an MS Exchange (work) account to the phone, I was unable to access widgets (particularly the camera widget) from the lock screen.

I really would like to add my work exchange to my new Nexus 5, but does anybody know what affect it will have on the phone? E.g. will it disable the ability to use lock screen widgets like the quick camera access?

Thanks

P

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10
Carrier: Straight Talk (AT&T)

I don't use lock-screen widgets but I can still access the camera from the lock-screen by either scrolling or using the camera icon. I just tried adding a widget to the lock-screen and I was able to. I have two Exchange accounts on my phone.
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,009 Times in 3,774 Posts

It's not the exchange account that's preventing lock screen widgets, it's the pin lock to get into the phone that does it. In order to use them, you have to have the slide to unlock lock screen enabled.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
It's not the exchange account that's preventing lock screen widgets, it's the pin lock to get into the phone that does it. In order to use them, you have to have the slide to unlock lock screen enabled.
I don't think that's the case. I currently have a pin lock on my N5, but it's not encrypted; I can still use lock screen widgets. Do you mean pin lock + encryption will disable widgets?

Note that exchange accounts need the phone to be encrypted and hence a pin or password set.
Old November 11th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Loew View Post
I don't think that's the case. I currently have a pin lock on my N5, but it's not encrypted; I can still use lock screen widgets. Do you mean pin lock + encryption will disable widgets?

Note that exchange accounts need the phone to be encrypted and hence a pin or password set.
I haven't tested yet on 4.4, but on 4.2/4.3 you couldn't have a password or pin of any kind enabled.
Old November 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I'll test this on my Gnex tonight - will enable pin and see if i can use widgets / swipe camera from lock screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Loew For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (November 11th, 2013)
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biaviian View Post
I don't use lock-screen widgets but I can still access the camera from the lock-screen by either scrolling or using the camera icon. I just tried adding a widget to the lock-screen and I was able to. I have two Exchange accounts on my phone.
Is your phone encrypted with a pin or password as requested by your exchange admin policies? If so then this is exciting because it could mean they've changed it in 4.4.
Old November 11th, 2013, 12:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Loew View Post
Is your phone encrypted with a pin or password as requested by your exchange admin policies? If so then this is exciting because it could mean they've changed it in 4.4.
I never encrypted my phones, only pin or pattern locked as the lock screen. Encrypted data became a headache when flashing custom roms
Old November 11th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Hi there

So I've tested the following two scenarios on Gnex running 4.3:

1) Encrypt phone with pin code. Result is that I can still use all lock screen widgets including camera swipe. Encryption a phone or using a pin code has no bearing on lock screen widgets.

2) Once encrypted and as required by my particular MS Exchange policy, I've added my work MS Exchange account. Once added lock screen widgets were disabled. Admin policies will most likely be different for different Exchange setups. I have also noticed that as part of the admin policies, the following were declared prior to Exchange activation: Disable Cameras. Prevent the use of all device cameras. Lock the screen. Control how and when the screen locks.

While I can still use the camera app, the lock screen camera and widgets are disabled. Therefore my conclusion is this is to do with my particular Exchange policies.

Given the above I'd rather not set up work email on my N5, shame but why lose features I paid for for silly admin policies.

Would be interested to hear other people's experiences with setting up Exchange accounts.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Loew For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (November 11th, 2013)
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Dell Venue 8 (Android), HTC Sensation 4G
Carrier: T-Mobile

I have my Exchange account set up through Touchdown and don't think my device is encrypted. I don't think I have lost any functionality to my phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdeucie For This Useful Post:
Peter Loew (November 12th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old November 12th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeucie View Post
I have my Exchange account set up through Touchdown and don't think my device is encrypted. I don't think I have lost any functionality to my phone.
Thanks, I've looked at Touchdown.

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5