Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By krs128

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default hang outs or carrier issue?

I am on AT&T, and a week ago a friend on Verizon said most of my texts to him were being sent 2-3x each. So I asked a few other people and they said it happened a few times earlier that day, but none of them said they noticed it before that evening. I changed my mobile data from LTE to 3G and it wouldn't send the double text any more, then the next morning went back to LTE and things were good.

now tonight A friend let me know that 2 of my texts I sent came through broken up in like 3-4 different texts each.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 6,260 Times in 3,377 Posts

What network is your friend on? Sprint has a 160 character limit on sms messages. If you send or receive a text longer than that, it's split up into multiple parts.

Was it a long message? I just switched to AT&T from sprint and let me tell you, my wife sends long messages. They would come through in 7 or 8 parts sometimes and my phone would go crazy on notifications.
Old November 21st, 2013, 08:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian706 View Post
What network is your friend on? Sprint has a 160 character limit on sms messages. If you send or receive a text longer than that, it's split up into multiple parts.

Was it a long message? I just switched to AT&T from sprint and let me tell you, my wife sends long messages. They would come through in 7 or 8 parts sometimes and my phone would go crazy on notifications.

friend is Verizon, and the message isn't very long, I've sent longer and they haven't been broken up.

EDIT: ok this is weird... it appears if I have an Emoji in the text message the SMS "limit" is changed to 66, but with no Emoji it is 145 characters.. lol
Last edited by krs128; November 21st, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Google Nexus 5 Rom: Dirty Unicorns Recovery: ***TWRP*** Retired: OG Evo, 3vo

Weird... I didn't think AT&T had a character limit though? Especially one as low as 145... I'm certainly not hitting any limits.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Weird... I didn't think AT&T had a character limit though? Especially one as low as 145... I'm certainly not hitting any limits.
I can keep texting past 145.. but it just shows a 145/2 and then decreases by one for every character. it doesn't actually stop me from adding more to the text.. and thus will divide the text at 145 characters, but if there is an Emoji any where it the changes the "limit" to 66 characters will divide the text even more. Which is what just happened tonight.

are you on the ATT prepaid plan?
Last edited by krs128; November 21st, 2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

No, so maybe that's why. If you were using emoji and only get 66, maybe that's why your friend got your message broken up?
Old November 21st, 2013, 09:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
No, so maybe that's why. If you were using emoji and only get 66, maybe that's why your friend got your message broken up?

yea it is, I didn't realize adding an Emoji cut the character limit down by more then half before it split it. and to be honest never realized the messages got split to begin with, thought it just sent as a MMS or something,
Brian706 likes this.

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5