Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 24th, 2013, 01:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Nexus 5 data transferring problem!!! HELP

Okay.. so I'm having this problem with my 32GB Nexus 5, where, everytime I transfer large amounts of data FROM the phone onto the PC, around 15GB or so, the phone just randomly shuts down half-way, and the transferring freezes. When I try to turn it back on again, it would take more than the usual time while pressing it to turn on. ... I did try this on a couple of PC's, both Win7, btw.
Can someone try transferring at least 15GB (just to be on the safe side) or 8GB (if you have a 16GB version) from the phone onto a PC and see if the same problem occurs? please let me know, as this problem occurred to me with my previous Nexus 5 (where I replaced with this one because of the problem). HELP!!!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 24th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)

Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012),Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

I don't have 15 GB of stuff on my 32GB phone to transfer. What are you transferring? Is it one file or can you try transferring smaller amounts at a time? What kind(s) of file(s)? How long does it take and does it generate significant heat?

Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Dirty Unicorns 7.9, Android 4.4.4, Build KTU84P, Nova Launcher.
Old November 24th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I'm using the phone as flash memory, transferring files from computer to computer. You could try transferring anything that's 15GB, either one file or multiple files, onto the phone, then from the phone back to the computer. I tried .rar files and .iso files. I transfer all at the same time, not by chunks. No, the phone doesn't heat up, and to transfer 15GB it would take 10 minutes or so, plugged into USB 2.0 or 3.0 (no difference).
Last edited by Yozer34; November 24th, 2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old November 24th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozer34 View Post
Okay.. so I'm having this problem with my 32GB Nexus 5, where, everytime I transfer large amounts of data FROM the phone onto the PC, around 15GB or so, the phone just randomly shuts down half-way, and the transferring freezes. When I try to turn it back on again, it would take more than the usual time while pressing it to turn on. ... I did try this on a couple of PC's, both Win7, btw.
Can someone try transferring at least 15GB (just to be on the safe side) or 8GB (if you have a 16GB version) from the phone onto a PC and see if the same problem occurs? please let me know, as this problem occurred to me with my previous Nexus 5 (where I replaced with this one because of the problem). HELP!!!
Don't transfer more than 4 GB of files at once. Why don't you transfer them separately?
Old November 24th, 2013, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I'd do just that, however, I was wondering if there was a problem with the devices. Like, is it normal or not?... you know..
Old November 24th, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7 (2012), Nexus 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yozer34 View Post
I'd do just that, however, I was wondering if there was a problem with the devices. Like, is it normal or not?... you know..
Yes this is a normal behavior
Old November 25th, 2013, 09:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Sony Xperia Z Ultra, Nexus 7 (2013), Samsung Galaxy Camera, Nexus 5 White 32 GB
Carrier: Telus

Why not directly transfer the data over the network between the computers?
Or if they are in different locations using cloud storage like Drop box, Sky drive or Google drive?
Old March 21st, 2014, 02:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4
Carrier: O2 (UK)

I also have this problem, every time. As I have a lot of down time at work, I tend to want to browse YouTube, but to save my data allowance, I download the videos at home onto my phone and then transfer them to whatever medium I plan to play them on which is most commonly a laptop, or iPad via laptop. Whenever I try and transfer a lot of files (in size, not amount) I regularly have my phone crash and have to wait for it to sort itself out to try again.

So yeah, I pretty much have the same problem as OP, anyone have a fix?
Old March 21st, 2014, 05:58 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, LG Spirit, Nexus 7 1st Gen, LG connect
Carrier: T-Mobile USA (MetroPCS)

Sometimes files are to big or have to many files and they phone can't handle it like i zipped a modding folder from my lg spirit and Bluetooth it over to my nexus 5 (it's about 40mbs in size) and the zip was two apks at there src I unpacked them with the mobile apktool anyways of the may point so I tried to unzip them on my nexus 5 and it was way to many individual files for my n5 to handle and the system ui disappeared and I had to manually reboot into the bootloaderPOINT IS DONT TRANSFER OR UNPACK TO MANY INDIVIDUAL FILES AT ONCE OUR 32BIT PHONES CAN ONLY DO SO MUCH (not yelling btw)

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5