• 1 Post By Twiz
  • 2 Post By Rxpert83
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw
  • 1 Post By Hook
  • 2 Post By Rxpert83
  • 1 Post By jhawkkw

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Nexus 5 Question

Im currently planning to get a nexus 5, but im confused, as to exactly what phone company supports nexus 5?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s): POFS N5, Nexus 7 (2013) stock, Huawei Valiant, Huawei Vitria, LG Motion 4G, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: T-Metro, Ting

Several companies (carriers?) do. Also depends on where you are located. In US, Verizon currently doesn't allow Nexus devices on their network
kumaga likes this.
kumaga (April 16th, 2014)
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

i see, so no verizon, if i wanted to get a nexus 5 on a carrier, would i have to buy it from google play?
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Premium Member

Device(s): POFS N5, Nexus 7 (2013) stock, Huawei Valiant, Huawei Vitria, LG Motion 4G, LG Optimus F6
Carrier: T-Metro, Ting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumaga View Post
i see, so no verizon, if i wanted to get a nexus 5 on a carrier, would i have to buy it from google play?
Well, technically the Nexus 5 CAN work with Verizon, but due to a spat with Google VZW says keep 'em off, and this may be the case with associated MVNO's, like TracFone, Net10 etc. I'm sure Verizon will eventually come to their senses on that one....

You can buy from a carrier, subsidized I guess. T-Mobile (I think) and Sprint are the only carriers I know of that sell them. Buy it directly from Google for $350 and you can bring it to almost any carrier you desire, as the Nexus 5 works with both GSM and CDMA bands.
kumaga likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spec2nirvash For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): nexus 5 stock, Samsung prevail retired, note 10.1 tablet
Carrier: straight talk :(

Quote:
that would be the cheapest option. you can also buy it from carrier for more money but i do not know why anyone would do that unless they needed financing for it.if your carrier is GSM, just get their microsim and stick it in, done. if it is CDMA like sprint, call their customer service to activate it.
kumaga likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to akmsr For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

ahh i see, so buying from google play is better, so if i buy this https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Bright_Red?id=nexus_5_red_32gb , im able to choose whatever carrier i want , or is there a cdma edition to a gsm edition?
Old April 16th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 -DU- Franco Kernel -LG L9-Kumakan Rom -LG Motion-PG's CM10 -Lenovo Idea Tab-PAC
Carrier: Metro PCS

Quote:
ahh i see, so buying from google play is better, so if i buy this https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Nexus_5_32GB_Bright_Red?id=nexus_5_red_32gb , im able to choose whatever carrier i want , or is there a cdma edition to a gsm edition?
All N5's are the exact same.... The only difference is there's a 32g or 16g version. The one you can buy from T-Mobile or Sprint is the same as the GPE (Google Play Edition) If your carrier is CDMA or GSM it will work on there network. Except for Verizon as stated.
Twiz and kumaga like this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xdrc45 For This Useful Post:
Crashdamage (April 19th, 2014), kumaga (April 16th, 2014), la sal (April 17th, 2014)
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): nexus 5 stock, Samsung prevail retired, note 10.1 tablet
Carrier: straight talk :(

as xdrc45 said the same phone is GSM and CDMA both. the phone you linked has both these radios. just use it wherever you want (in the USA). outside it you will not get LTE.
kumaga likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to akmsr For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Droid RAZR Maxx

I bought my Nexus 5 from Google Play and had it activated on AT&T. It took all of about 2 minutes for the salesperson to put in a sim card and have it activated. :-)
kumaga likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twiz For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

i see, for the at&t its byop plan? so that means i could pretty much use it on any carrier that provides a sim card? c:
sponsored links
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 12,562 Times in 7,247 Posts

Quote:
i see, for the at&t its byop plan? so that means i could pretty much use it on any carrier that provides a sim card? c:
Any carrier except for Verizon.
Twiz and kumaga like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

ahh i see, well, now to find a prepaid plan that got a good coverage in my town, too bad t-mobile doesnt have coverage here ;-;
Old April 16th, 2014, 09:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanked 7,001 Times in 3,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by akmsr View Post
as xdrc45 said the same phone is GSM and CDMA both. the phone you linked has both these radios. just use it wherever you want (in the USA). outside it you will not get LTE.
You'll get lte in most North American counties, but European and Asian countries absolutely not.
kumaga likes this.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Old April 17th, 2014, 04:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Location: I am a missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Three (UK)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spec2nirvash View Post
Well, technically the Nexus 5 CAN work with Verizon, but due to a spat with Google VZW says keep 'em off
Although it doesn't affect me in any way, I'm interested to learn why Verizon fell out with Google.

As the Nexus 5 continues to become more popular, I'm sure that decision will be to Verizon's disadvantage.
Old April 17th, 2014, 06:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBentleyR View Post
Although it doesn't affect me in any way, I'm interested to learn why Verizon fell out with Google.

As the Nexus 5 continues to become more popular, I'm sure that decision will be to Verizon's disadvantage.
It all started back when Google was trying to release the 3rd generation Nexus phone (Galaxy Nexus). Google was ready to release the phone in mid-November when it launched the GSM version of it, but Verizon held back the release for about an entire month because of their "extensive testing system". When it finally did get to the market, it was a neutered Nexus because they blocked Google wallet from being used because they didn't want to let the competition get a leg up on their unreleased ISIS at the time, on top of holding back updates once again due to their testing system. Even though the GSM version managed to get up to 4.3 before EOL, the Verizon version still sits on 4.2.2 to this day.

Google got fed up with this and learned a lesson and thus made a GSM only Nexus 4. Google tried again with Verizon with the 2nd generation LTE version of the Nexus 7 tablet. They made it with an LTE only radio without the CDMA radio with the intention of taking advantage of the open network clause that Verizon agreed to when they bought the C block of the 700MHz spectrum. Verizon spit in the face of these regulations and refused to provision new SIM cards for Nexus 7 tablets until February when the tablet came out in September.

So yeah, Google has given Verizon chances and they just keep blowing it with their control freak nature.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Brian706 (April 17th, 2014), Rxpert83 (April 17th, 2014), Twiz (April 17th, 2014)
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM   #16 (permalink)

Location: I am a missionary from Yorkshire to the primitive people of Lancashire

Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: Three (UK)

It seems to me that Verizon is like a spoilt brat, spitting its dummy out of the pram.

If I lived in the US, I would certainly be looking at other providers and stuff Verizon!
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Many on these forums who are able to have checked out other options.

Theyve got one of the largest networks, so unfortunately people don't always have the option of looking elsewhere. Sometimes Verizon is the only carrier they get service at home, or while traveling. And since their devices are locked down to their network they can't just pop in another Sim when needed like in Europe.
Last edited by Rxpert83; April 17th, 2014 at 08:39 AM.
Old April 17th, 2014, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Ever since DU... ;-)

Device(s): Nexus 7 (2012),Nexus 5
Carrier: AT&T (Gophone)

The funny thing is that, as of today, Verizon is introducing a BYOP plan, which ought to make it easy and possible for Google to create a Verizon Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 (or whatever the next one is called). Bet it still won't happen (which is too bad because my wife has to have Verzon for where she travels and I'd love to replace her Moto G with a Nexus at some point).
Twiz likes this.

Nexus 7 (2012) 3G (converted to Grouper wifi only), Dirty Unicorns 7.9, Android 4.4.4, Build KTU84P, Nova Launcher.
Old April 17th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #19 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook View Post
The funny thing is that, as of today, Verizon is introducing a BYOP plan, which ought to make it easy and possible for Google to create a Verizon Nexus 5 or Nexus 6 (or whatever the next one is called). Bet it still won't happen (which is too bad because my wife has to have Verzon for where she travels and I'd love to replace her Moto G with a Nexus at some point).
I've mentioned before the LG rep I spoke to in a Sprint store one day was very adamant that the current Nexus 5 was produced with Verizon in mind. IE Google/LG designed it to work on Verizon, but for whatever reason it isn't supported.

Assuming that rep actually knew what he was talking about, If I'm going to speculate:
1) Verizon wouldn't allow Google to control updates
2) Verizon doesn't want low cost no contract phones available for purchase because:
a) To keep unlimited data current customers have to buy full priced devices
b) A cheap, unlocked nexus device will allow them to keep unlimited data and also makes it incredibly easy to switch carriers when they aren't on contract.
Twiz and Hook like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rxpert83 For This Useful Post:
Hook (April 17th, 2014)
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #20 (permalink)

The Nexus 5 didn't get certified for band 13 LTE, so if it were to be available on Verizon it would likely require recertification or another device entirely.
Rxpert83 (April 17th, 2014)
sponsored links
Old April 17th, 2014, 05:55 PM   #21 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
The Nexus 5 didn't get certified for band 13 LTE, so if it were to be available on Verizon it would likely require recertification or another device entirely.
If I remember right, it didn't pass FCC certification til like a month before release.

I don't know how long that process takes, but no point getting it certified on that band if you know Verizon won't let it on the network.

Like I said, just speculation on my part . You probably know more about that process than I do
Old April 17th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
If I remember right, it didn't pass FCC certification til like a month before release.

I don't know how long that process takes, but no point getting it certified on that band if you know Verizon won't let it on the network.

Like I said, just speculation on my part . You probably know more about that process than I do
Considering that the Nexus 4 could support band 4 lte, wasn't certified for it, and never did get certified for it, I doubt that would happen with the Nexus 5 regarding Verizon's band. A shame because a lot of people missed out on a great devices because of corporate politics.
Twiz likes this.
DMajor239 (April 17th, 2014)
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 phone (Giffgaff UK), Asus tf300t tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdrc45 View Post
All N5's are the exact same.... The only difference is there's a 32g or 16g version.
Not quite. There are two types. One for North America, and another for pretty well the rest of the world. Different LTE bands supported. Both have 16G and 32Gb models. I am using the 32Gb "other" Nexus!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterc10 For This Useful Post:
Crashdamage (April 19th, 2014), Rxpert83 (April 18th, 2014)
Old April 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterc10 View Post
Not quite. There are two types. One for North America, and another for pretty well the rest of the world. Different LTE bands supported. Both have 16G and 32Gb models. I am using the 32Gb "other" Nexus!
True, but software wise they're the same. Even the radios had matching MD5's
Old April 18th, 2014, 02:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 phone (Giffgaff UK), Asus tf300t tablet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxpert83 View Post
True, but software wise they're the same. Even the radios had matching MD5's
Yep. Only real difference is the LTE bands supported as far as I can see. But a vital one if, like me, you are upgrading for the 4G. And a very annoying one because they are 100 cheaper in the USA. But for that important difference I would have got my daughter who lives in NJ to buy one and send it over.
The Following User Says Thank You to peterc10 For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (April 18th, 2014)

Nexus 5
Current Rating:
Rate this Phone:

The Nexus 5 is the 2013 handset release in Google's long line of Nexus phones. The device features a 4.95-inch 1080p HD display, and is heralded as the fastest Nexus phone yet. It gets that title due to the 2.3GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon ... Read More

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Nexus 5