Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old June 30th, 2012, 10:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default TV-Out?

Hi, just made an account for this small question of mine.

Does anyone know if the Nexus 7 supports TV-Out? It'd be great if I could load up on 720p/1080p videos (Can the Tegra 3 handle them btw?) and watch them up on the big screen. To my understanding, the only physical port on the device is a mini-usb port. Does this mean something like a mini-usb-to-hdmi cable would would do the trick?

Thanks!

nyanfat is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
burtonvdp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: CenCal
Posts: 335
 
Device(s): Moto X (AT&T), Google Nexus 7, iPad 2, Asus T100TA Windows 8.1
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Default

I believe you are looking for something called MHL? Take a look at this thread http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/572839-mhl-hdmi-output.html

Although I have a feeling it will be locked down for the stock ROM... There will probably be a custom ROM out to help support this feature.
burtonvdp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
New Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonvdp View Post
I believe you are looking for something called MHL? Take a look at this thread http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/572839-mhl-hdmi-output.html

Although I have a feeling it will be locked down for the stock ROM... There will probably be a custom ROM out to help support this feature.
Yeah, something like that. Looks like nothing is confirmed yet for sure, though.

TV-Out is pretty much the deciding factor on whether I get this over the new iPad.

Edit: I just may have found an answer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/nexus-7-review/2012/06/29/gJQAZWieBW_story_1.html

Some guy said this:

Apparently, the Nexus 7 *cannot* do video out. There is no hdmi port, and several reporters have heard from inside sources that the Nexus 7 does not support MHL. MHL enables the micro-USB port on some devices to become HDMI out among other things. Maybe the MHL circuitry is there, but neither ASUS nor Goole have said so after being repeatedly questioned, and apparently Jelly Bean does not even support MHL even if it were in the hardware.

Something similar is true for USB memory. The Nexus 7 does support USB-OTG (On The Go), but it doesn't all of OTG. The Nexus 7 cannot use USB storage, nothing. Not even a USB thumb drive will work according to all the reports.

And to drive a nail in the coffin, Jelly bean does not support Adobe Flash and seemingly never will.

Just do a search for the keywords of MHL "Nexus 7", OTG "Nexus 7", "jelly bean" flash to verify what I am saying. Unless google and ASUS mis-fired on the launch, the Nexus 7 is terrible for anyone wanting to show the image on a big screen. Such a feature would have been a perfect addition to this 7" tablet. As it is now, you need a DLNA-equipped TV or another device that has both DLNA and video out capability. That is what the Nexus 7 should have been.

The acer iconia A110, on the other hand, runs ICS, so it has Adobe Flash; it has a dedicated micro-hdmi out port, it has standard USB-OTG, it has a micro-SD card slot built-in, and it is also projected to cost $200. Its only drawbacks appear to be a slightly lower resolution screen (perceptible in reading an eBook???), and the A110 doesn't have NFC built in. If it has a mini PCIe slot inside, though, you could add NFC or 3g/4g, etc.
nyanfat is offline  
Last edited by nyanfat; July 1st, 2012 at 12:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nyanfat For This Useful Post:
KOLIO (July 1st, 2012)
Old July 1st, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 742
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 24
Thanked 118 Times in 100 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanfat View Post
Yeah, something like that. Looks like nothing is confirmed yet for sure, though.

TV-Out is pretty much the deciding factor on whether I get this over the new iPad.

Edit: I just may have found an answer:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/nexus-7-review/2012/06/29/gJQAZWieBW_story_1.html

Some guy said this:

Apparently, the Nexus 7 *cannot* do video out. There is no hdmi port, and several reporters have heard from inside sources that the Nexus 7 does not support MHL. MHL enables the micro-USB port on some devices to become HDMI out among other things. Maybe the MHL circuitry is there, but neither ASUS nor Goole have said so after being repeatedly questioned, and apparently Jelly Bean does not even support MHL even if it were in the hardware.

Something similar is true for USB memory. The Nexus 7 does support USB-OTG (On The Go), but it doesn't all of OTG. The Nexus 7 cannot use USB storage, nothing. Not even a USB thumb drive will work according to all the reports.

And to drive a nail in the coffin, Jelly bean does not support Adobe Flash and seemingly never will.

Just do a search for the keywords of MHL "Nexus 7", OTG "Nexus 7", "jelly bean" flash to verify what I am saying. Unless google and ASUS mis-fired on the launch, the Nexus 7 is terrible for anyone wanting to show the image on a big screen. Such a feature would have been a perfect addition to this 7" tablet. As it is now, you need a DLNA-equipped TV or another device that has both DLNA and video out capability. That is what the Nexus 7 should have been.

The acer iconia A110, on the other hand, runs ICS, so it has Adobe Flash; it has a dedicated micro-hdmi out port, it has standard USB-OTG, it has a micro-SD card slot built-in, and it is also projected to cost $200. Its only drawbacks appear to be a slightly lower resolution screen (perceptible in reading an eBook???), and the A110 doesn't have NFC built in. If it has a mini PCIe slot inside, though, you could add NFC or 3g/4g, etc.

It sounds like it is not the best tablet for video out, but really in the grand scheme very few people use that feature. They will lose some sales from power users like the people on here, but it is not going to matter that much in overall sales.

As for Acer, I will never give them another penny of my money! Their customer service is the absolute worst I have ever seen in my life! I had to pay $200 to fix a cosmetic scratch on a laptop in order to be able to get a warranty issue with the power connection fixed. That is what I talked them down to. They wanted $400 first. Never again!!!
UKCatFan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Xyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,991
 
Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 3,186
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanfat View Post
Something similar is true for USB memory. The Nexus 7 does support USB-OTG (On The Go), but it doesn't all of OTG. The Nexus 7 cannot use USB storage, nothing. Not even a USB thumb drive will work according to all the reports.
Well, we have at least one report from a user with a rooted I/O device that he's got USB-OTG file transfer working, to and from an external hard drive. So it looks like the hardware supports that, but the software doesn't. But from what I've heard, google would've had to go out of their way to block support for that.

If MHL, on the other hand, requires extra dedicated hardware, then I wouldn't bet on it being possible.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines

If you see a post that needs a mod's attention, hit the button.
Xyro is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xyro For This Useful Post:
stridermt2k (July 11th, 2012)
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 21
 
Device(s): Verizon Droid 3, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanfat View Post

Some guy said this:

Apparently, the Nexus 7 *cannot* do video out. There is no hdmi port, and several reporters have heard from inside sources that the Nexus 7 does not support MHL. MHL enables the micro-USB port on some devices to become HDMI out among other things. Maybe the MHL circuitry is there, but neither ASUS nor Goole have said so after being repeatedly questioned, and apparently Jelly Bean does not even support MHL even if it were in the hardware.

Something similar is true for USB memory. The Nexus 7 does support USB-OTG (On The Go), but it doesn't all of OTG. The Nexus 7 cannot use USB storage, nothing. Not even a USB thumb drive will work according to all the reports.
Read this same thing yesterday. It's quite unfortunate, but my source (which I can't remember at this time), said that this is likely so that Android fans might be more inclined to consider the Nexus Q. I think this is an excellent observation. The Nexus Q is designed to do many of the things that you would do if you were to plug your tablet into your TV, namely, play music and movies through Play. Personally I just want an easy way to watch Netflix on any TV that has HDMI input.
Graham's Droid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
CrackBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2 (t-mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 98
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham's Droid View Post
Personally I just want an easy way to watch Netflix on any TV that has HDMI input.
Yeah, I hear you!!
CrackBaby is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
~Play Nice~
 
Unforgiven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Douglas, MA
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,700
 
Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 13,130
Thanked 14,247 Times in 7,815 Posts
Default

I'm guessing through WiFi direct or DLNA. We'll have to wait until we have it to know for sure.
__________________

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Unforgiven is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
MetroSquard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 24
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Does anyone think that those extra ports on the side of the tablet (BOGO?) will feature HDMI out? I though that's what those ports were going to be used for?
MetroSquard is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Xyro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 11,991
 
Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanks: 3,186
Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroSquard View Post
Does anyone think that those extra ports on the side of the tablet (BOGO?) will feature HDMI out? I though that's what those ports were going to be used for?
I think they're intended to be used for some sort of dock. I haven't heard HDMI out via them mentioned.
Xyro is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old July 10th, 2012, 05:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): Flytouch3 X220 Epad
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyro View Post
I think they're intended to be used for some sort of dock. I haven't heard HDMI out via them mentioned.
Google Nexus Q: A Brief Overview - YouTube

This is google s way for watching videos on the big screen
belledee is online now  
Last edited by Xyro; July 10th, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Use http not https :)
Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 246
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
Default Use your laptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackBaby View Post
Yeah, I hear you!!
I pretty much stick to my laptop to watch stuff on my tv. Lots of storage on the laptop and easy to interact with the tv.
val88 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 01:21 AM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
GingerRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): HTC Desire (In the drawer), HTC One X (Nexus 5 ordered), Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Stupid question then, will i be able to stream video to my tv using the media link i got with my HOX?
GingerRob is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Member
 
CrackBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2 (t-mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 98
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by val88 View Post
I pretty much stick to my laptop to watch stuff on my tv. Lots of storage on the laptop and easy to interact with the tv.
I don't have a laptop, or else I'd do that. I do have an hdmi port on my desktop but it's inconveniently located. I have an xbox 360 and stream to it from my pc using ps3 server for the subtitles. I also tried out a micca, it's OK for playing off of a usb stick, but unfortunately I got the version without streaming (which I regret and I think I will just sell it on ebay because I was not that wowed by it). I tried a blu-ray which worked OK but returned it and am awaiting a different version. Last but not least, I want to pick up a used WD box off of craigslist and check that out. That will cover the three TVs in our house, none of which are smart/dlna. My phone doesn't have an mhl adapter or tv out. I wonder if something could be cobbled together to make a homemade media server for TVs that don't have dlna. No way is this technology really worth $100 and up. Or maybe find a cheap OEM tablet that has mhl/hdmi and do it that way.
CrackBaby is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
CrackBaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 338
 
Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2 (t-mobile)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 98
Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by belledee View Post
Google Nexus Q: A Brief Overview - YouTube

This is google s way for watching videos on the big screen
Yeaaaahhh...google's really hoping some poor sucker will fork out $300 for that there ball.
CrackBaby is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I heard no
busta143 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 33
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busta143 View Post
I heard no
I hope it can be rooted in
TrueGreen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 08:48 AM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
GingerRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): HTC Desire (In the drawer), HTC One X (Nexus 5 ordered), Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerRob View Post
Stupid question then, will i be able to stream video to my tv using the media link i got with my HOX?

Looks like you can. WiFi media app in the play store allows you to do this. Engaged shows it working. Sorry I don't have a link as I am on the phone. Will post a link when on the pc.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/21/wi-fi-media-lets-your-nexus-7-play-movies-on-any-screen-via-htc/
GingerRob is offline  
Last edited by GingerRob; July 22nd, 2012 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Added link
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 10:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
EasyEEE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 465
 
Device(s): -EVO 4G LTE Asus Transformer Prime Nexus 7 16 GigaBytes Logitech Revue
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 86
Thanked 175 Times in 104 Posts
Default

Will test soon. On way to grab a nexus 7 at staples.. I have a HTC media link HD for my EVO LTE.
EasyEEE is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Member
 
GingerRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): HTC Desire (In the drawer), HTC One X (Nexus 5 ordered), Nexus 7 (2012)
Carrier: O2

Thanks: 17
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I can confirm that at least mp4 movies stream from nexus 7 to TV via HTC media link. Will need to find out what else will stream. Well happy as I got the media link free with my phone and the app is free.
GingerRob is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: County Durham, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): ASUS/Google Nexus 7 32GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi, I'd have to disagree.


I have a Nexus 7 32GB among other tablets (I own a business which specialises in the repair of tablets/computer equipment) and use USB flash drives/portable hard drives without any issues, with the aid of the "Nexus Media Importer" app.


I'm also able to view flash content with the use of "Dolphin HD Browser" and a previous version of flash from the "XDA Developers" site.

I can also download torrents in full 1080p and play various formats back via "MX Player"


In my opinion, the above points put the Nexus 7 way ahead of any Apple device and the only tablets which come close are the Windows based models which are double the price.


Hope this is of some help for anyone looking to purchase a Nexus 7 .. I'd say GO FOR IT !!
Woodstock666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #22 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: County Durham, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): ASUS/Google Nexus 7 32GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Haven't found a way to use TV Out as yet unfortunately, but I'm pretty sure that something will be in the pipeline.
Woodstock666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: County Durham, England
Gender: Male
Posts: 4
 
Device(s): ASUS/Google Nexus 7 32GB
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default I'd have to disagree !!

Hi, I'd have to disagree.

I have a Nexus 7 32GB among other tablets (I own a business which specialises in the repair of tablets/computer equipment) and use USB flash drives/portable hard drives without any issues, with the aid of the "Nexus Media Importer" app.

I'm also able to view flash content with the use of "Dolphin HD Browser" and a previous version of flash from the "XDA Developers" site.

I can also download torrents in full 1080p and play various formats back via MX Player

In my opinion, the above points put the Nexus 7 way ahead of any Apple device and the only tablets which come close are the Windows based models which are double the price.

Hope this is of some help for anyone looking to purchase a Nexus 7 .. I'd say GO FOR IT !![/QUOTE]
Woodstock666 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.