Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By colchiro

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Keyboard Case Combo (bluetooth)???

Is anyone else frustrated by the fact that there is not OEM keyboard case combo? It is frustrating to have to carry a separate bluetooth keyboard around. I realize a 7" tab's keyboard size would be small but still A LOT more functional than the on screen keyboard for longer emails, and writing.

Blackberry made a fantastic 7" keyboard case for it's ill-fated Playbook. Just seems to make sense for those using for media consumption and work (word docs, evernote, email, etc). Anyone know if there are already any third-party keyboard case combos being made "specifically" for the Nexus 7?

I know it's not even released yet but please post any finds in this thread. I'm sure there are others who would like this resource

sponsored links
Old July 8th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 HTC One V LG Optimus V Motorola Droid A855 Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Send a message via Skype™ to cammykool cjs.tanner@gmail.com

The iPad keyboard works well and it isn't much bigger then the n7
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

It seems like this is going to be a really popular tablet, so there will be other accessories come out.
Old July 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt, Google Nexus 7

Send a message via AIM to TauxiC Send a message via MSN to TauxiC Send a message via Yahoo to TauxiC Send a message via Skype™ to TauxiC dabug91

You also have to remember that with the N7's hybrid phone/tablet interface, its really meant to be used in portrait mode most of the time so it makes sense for them to not have made one specifically for it. But there's plenty of bluetooth keyboards out there that should work, including the Apple one =[
Old July 9th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Toshiba Excite 10 AT300, Hisense Sero 7 Pro [rooted], Ouya
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCatFan View Post
It seems like this is going to be a really popular tablet, so there will be other accessories come out.
This^

From what I have seen there is a TON of interest in this tablet, so there will be accessories out the wazoo very soon.

I mean, the thing hasn't even been released yet!
Old July 9th, 2012, 07:18 AM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Razr M, Galaxy Tab 10.1 I/O edition

There are 7" keyboards out there (remember this isn't the first 7" tablet) and I see no reason why they wouldn't work. You wouldn't want to use them though. I had one and it was so tiny as to be useless to me. I've got small hands too, but I couldn't type on it.
Old July 9th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Eris 2.1 (ADR6200) xtrROM 5.0.1 HTC Rezound (ADR6425LVW) 3.14.605.10

This is one thing that the Surface actually got right: a keyboard integrated into the case. Somehow I just know that Microsuck managed to screw up that amazing concept, but it might be a sign of things to come (provided they don't get hooked on the "sue-the-crap-out-of-everybody-who-can-do-what-we-do-but-better" bandwagon... They have done well with the "buy-out-and-bury-the-superior-competion [rest in peace, Rare] business model for so many years)

Oh, and you heard it from me first, you're all my witnesses. When tablets started coming out of the woodwork, my idea was a dual-leaf Tablook™, which was essentially two tablets hinged together. Open it like a tab, close it like a book, type on it like a laptop. Play Battleship™ and other two-player "no-peeking" games without WiFi to bring back a real social experience. View twice as much content as a standard tablet or laptop. Just like having two monitors. Anyway, I'm working in that. But Asus already makes the Transformer keyboard dock. Why not a mini One for their Nexus 7?

Tablook™ is a registered trademark of Mortally Wounded Concepts, LLC.
Last edited by TheMortallyWounded; July 9th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheMortallyWounded For This Useful Post:
CrackBaby (July 9th, 2012)
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy Note II, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,403 Posts

There's this one and I'm sure I saw a usb keyboard on Amazon as well: Amazon.com: CrazyOnDigital Bluetooth Keyboard Tablet Stand Leather Case for Google Nexus 7 Tablet (Black Brown): Computers & Accessories

ylexot likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to colchiro For This Useful Post:
TheMortallyWounded (July 24th, 2012)
Old July 24th, 2012, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Eris 2.1 (ADR6200) xtrROM 5.0.1 HTC Rezound (ADR6425LVW) 3.14.605.10

No, this isn't mine, but rest assured I'll be having lunch with my lawyers soon. http://www.patentbolt.com/2012/07/google-invents-a-chameleonic-notebook.html
Old July 24th, 2012, 07:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

I also have an iPad 3 (aka 3rd gen), and I have a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for it which I really like. The keyboard is very nice to use. I've been able to pair it up with my Nexus 7 with no issues. And the Nexus 7 stands up just find in portrait model in the slot for the iPad. The Nexus 7 will also fit in the slot provided for the iPad in landscape mode, but I find the angle is a little too vertical for what you really want. So at least when I have both my iPad and Nexus 7 with me I can switch off keyboards if needed. But I am hoping Logitech might consider making a similar cover specifically for the Nexus 7.
sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

I'm hoping over the next month or two a few more keyboard/case combos will pop up, other than just the sloppy PU (Poetic) and Crazy on Digital cases. Would rather find something that snaps the Nexus 7 into place rather than forces you to put it into a sleeve (adds bulk). Additionally, why the extra inch or so on each of those cases below where the tablet is placed?

We need something like the Playbook keyboard case, that doesn't add any unnecessary bulk and is made specifically for the Nexus 7. The keyboard cases now are just being sloppily adapted for every 7" tab that comes out.

I think there would definitely be a market for a high-end and tailor made keyboard case, maybe around $50-$75. I realize most people buy the Nexus 7 for casual media consumption and it's low $$$. Regardless, I know plenty of people that would rather carry this around than a laptop, for more casual productivity days. Documents to Go, Evernote, Gmail, Google Drive (all these programs would benefit).

Let me know if anyone else comes across one other than the two mentioned that are floating around. I'll also post if I find any further ones.

Thanks again!
Last edited by JerryB; July 30th, 2012 at 11:50 AM.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)