Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree106Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 21st, 2012, 04:55 PM   #451 (permalink)

Device(s): Orange San Francisco, Google Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

for my nexus 7 i got the 360degree rotating leather purple case for 8pounds from eBay with astyles pen included. its a great case iv had it for a few days, very sturdy, useful for typing essays on portrait mode and playing games in landscape as well as watching movies.
the only negative is that a few chips of the leather had come of around one edge around the screen but overall great case. .

i might get a silicon case for spare use.

which case have you guys found are the best?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old August 22nd, 2012, 01:52 PM   #452 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Asus Nexus 7, Motorola Atrix 2

Just got this one from Amazon. Only $9.99.

Its decent... better than spending $30 at Walmart. Screen protector is nice, the stylus is a piece of junk, as is the charger. But I didn't expect great quality for only $9.99. All made in China.

I'm pleased with it. The magnet works great, and it folds to the perfect angle.

*The stylus is cheap plastic that is hollow, but it does work just fine. I just feel like I'm going to break it...
Last edited by s2005; August 22nd, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:53 AM   #453 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Asus Nexus 7

So I just traded my iPad for a new 16 GB Nexus 7. For my iPad we had a car case that slips over a seat head rest so our son could watch movies on car rides. Does anyone know of something similar for the Nexus or one for say the Kindle Fire that would fit this?
Retired Devices: HTC Incredible, Apple iPad 2
Old August 23rd, 2012, 10:59 AM   #454 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Device(s): Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Note II, S3

Thanked 16,983 Times in 9,348 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homan13PSU View Post
So I just traded my iPad for a new 16 GB Nexus 7. For my iPad we had a car case that slips over a seat head rest so our son could watch movies on car rides. Does anyone know of something similar for the Nexus or one for say the Kindle Fire that would fit this?
Have a look at these Homan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=headrest+mount+for+kindle+fire&hl=en&prmd =imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=JVM2UJPx Ec-G0QGtmIDIBA&ved=0CEIQsxg&biw=1680&bih=961
AntimonyER likes this.

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

The Following User Says Thank You to Unforgiven For This Useful Post:
Homan13PSU (August 23rd, 2012)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM   #455 (permalink)

You're a good man Charlie Brown!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:50 PM   #456 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 16gb, LG Optimus C

My case didn't offer much protection for me. I dropped my N7 about 18" to a wood floor on the lower right corner and shattered the screen. I hope someone comes up with a case with closed and padded corners. Search Google and you'll find a LOT of people out there with cracked screens. Looks to be pretty fragile. HOLD ONTO IT WITH BOTH HANDS! I just bought my second N7 last night.

Joe
Old August 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM   #457 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7

Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts

I'd guess that at least half of everyone who has ever broken a device has immediately decried that device as being "fragile."

The reality is that the physics involved in the fall and how they impacted the particular device are complicated. You could drop something ten times and have it be fine, and then drop it an eleventh time and have the thing shatter and quit working.

These are tightly packed electronics with glass screens. I'd suggest that we can refer to ALL of them as "fragile" and it's unlikely that the N7 is more or less fragile than other tablets
Old August 24th, 2012, 01:31 PM   #458 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Google Nexus 7, Lenovo S6000 Ideatab 10.1"
Carrier: Verizon

Send a message via AIM to tmaertin Send a message via Yahoo to tmaertin tmaertin1@gmail.com
Default finally a rugged case

For those of us looking for something a little more rugged, Gumdrop has come out with a Drop-Tech for $49.99.

Due out in Fall - I just preordered!
AntimonyER and Turbojoe like this.
Last edited by tmaertin; August 24th, 2012 at 01:45 PM. Reason: added picture
The Following User Says Thank You to tmaertin For This Useful Post:
Turbojoe (August 25th, 2012)
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #459 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Nexus 7 Kindle Fire (sold)

so, apparently, my wife got me a case from treegloo for my birthday today. Unfortunately, they have not shipped it yet. she ordered back at the end of July. I hope to see it soon, and when I do I will post pictures and a review.
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:15 AM   #460 (permalink)

Thanks for that link tmaertin. While that case is a bit pricey it might have saved me the cost of buying a second N7 to replace the one I dropped and broke. If mine hadn't hit right on the corner it probably would have survived. The case you listed looks to have good corner protection. I'll wait to see some reviews before I order one. It's amazing how fast the market is catching up to this new tablet. New products coming out every day.

Joe
sponsored links
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:43 AM   #461 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaertin View Post

For those of us looking for something a little more rugged, Gumdrop has come out with a Drop-Tech for $49.99.

Due out in Fall - I just preordered!

50 bucks??? MoKo slim fit case from amazon. Covers the screen, magnetic screen off and it's padded. $15. http://www.amazon.com/MoKo-Automatic-Protective-Multi-angle-Lifetime/dp/B008FLYROG

I like mine so much I bought another to use as a spare, or if I get a spare N7
Old August 25th, 2012, 08:58 AM   #462 (permalink)

Device(s): VM Galaxy S3, Rooted. Old: Samsung Intercept w/ TheLastCrap, Motorola Triumph w/ M1n1mal Triumph
Carrier: Virgin Mobile USA

I got the m-edge case and targus stylus from Staples last weekend. It's not bad, the magnet will toggle the screen when I set it up to view at an angle if I put it on it's left side (buttons up).

Been seriously considering returning it. It's alright, but I just don't seem to like it. I like the stylus though, it's good. Sketchbook Mobile Pro is pretty good with it.

Edit: I just realized if you turn the n7 on the side (buttons down) you can make the case a triangle that puts it a really great angle for use on a tabletop. The other angles are good, but this is better. The edge of the screen near the case are harder to use, and the buttons are difficult to get at though. Returning today.
Last edited by maaneeack; August 25th, 2012 at 09:38 AM. Reason: position
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:04 PM   #463 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7

Got recommended one of these which arrived today. Very pleased, much better than the slighty bulkier one I had, and worth spending the extra IMO. Same as the blurex one.

IVSO® Google Nexus 7 Tablet Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Last edited by nebler; August 25th, 2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #464 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebler View Post
Got recommended one of these which arrived today. Very pleased, much better than the slighty bulkier one I had, and worth spending the extra IMO. Same as the blurex one.

IVSO® Google Nexus 7 Tablet Slim-Fit Folio Cover Case: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Weird, that's the exact Moko slim fit I posted above...must not be made by either company, but they're retailing it.
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #465 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootbrain View Post
Weird, that's the exact Moko slim fit I posted above...must not be made by either company, but they're retailing it.
Just checked Amazon and yeh same case but £3 more than the IVSO.
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:02 AM   #466 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S5, Nexus 7

I don't currently have a N7 yet but I am thinking about getting one. I found this case I kind of like. It looks like it'd be good to carry to and from places in and then you can detach the insert and take the N7 out when you don't need the outer shell. Just thought I'd share!

Amazon.com: rooCASE Executive Portfolio (Black) 100% Genuine Leather Case Cover for Google Nexus 7 Tablet (Automatically Wakes and Puts the Nexus 7 to Sleep): Computers & Accessories
Old August 26th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #467 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Evo 4G/CM7 Stable Nexus7/Stock (rooted)

I grabbed the Exact (TM) X Design TPU Case From Amazon. (don't know what I'll do once that ASUS dock comes out. :P)

Perfect fit and I use it with THIS matte screen protector.

Old August 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM   #468 (permalink)

Device(s):

For anyone interested in really nice (but really expensive) leather covers, I just got mail saying Oberon Design now has Nexus 7 covers:

Leather Nexus 7 Covers, Artisan Leather Nexus 7 tablet Covers. Oberon

I have an Oberon Design cover I really like for my kindle, but I'm not sure how well the same design would work with the power and volume buttons on the Nexus 7.
Old August 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #469 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, MyTouch 4G

I got this one today at Bureau en Gros (Staples) for 35$ (Can) +Tax

Hipstreet Asus Google Nexus 7" Rotating Case - Hipstreet

I like the feel and the finish, it has a classic look too. I'll know tomorrow how the Nexus 7 handles in it as i haven't received it yet. Too bad there aren't many stores that hold the accessories yet, there was only another case for me to compare it (@BestBuy) and I didn't like it.
Old August 30th, 2012, 06:43 AM   #470 (permalink)

Sigh. Another screwup on the Poetic case:

Quote:
Dear Buyer,

This is an update regarding your recent order for the Poetic Slimline Nexus 7 case. Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that we have discovered a new manufacturing defect in our entire second batch of cases. (This may be the replacements we have sent out to you) In an attempt to fix the excessively strong magnet on the backside of the case, a piece of iron was inserted to block out the magnetism when the case is folded back. Although this has solved the problem of putting the Nexus 7 to sleep when the cover is folded all the way back, it added too much weight to the front cover. As a result, the front cover is not able to magnetically hold itself to the case to keep it closed. We are currently working on this issue in our third and final batch of these cases. We will not send them until we have inspected every factor on this case. However, due to the fact that we are making sure there will absolutely be no defects on the final version of these cases, they will not be available until 9/13/2012 to ship out. (They will be sent out free of charge) You can also keep the defective cases while you wait for the final version. The new cases will have also remedied the issue of the cover not being able to be folded all the way back as this was a popular feature many of our customers have expressed to us. We sincerely apologize of all of the inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know.

Customer Service Team
It's nice that they're fixing it, but it'd be nice if they, you know, spent 5 minutes testing the thing before releasing it.

I mean, really? Nobody folded the cover of the first batch behind the N7? And on this one, nobody noticed the cover doesn't stay shut?
sponsored links
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #471 (permalink)

Device(s):

The magnets are apparently really tricky to get right, and there may be variations in the way different Nexus 7s react to the strength of the magnet. I just replaced my YooMee case with the very similar Moko case because I liked the button cutout and elastic band for holding the cover open better than the YooMee, but the magnet on the Moko case is too weak to work all the time, and the magnet on the YooMee case sometimes works too well (especially if I slide the cover back and forth a bit while it is folded back, it will sometimes turn off the Nexus).

I do wonder why they didn't embed the piece of iron in the back of the Poetic case though. That wouldn't affect the weight of the cover at all.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:41 AM   #472 (permalink)

I see that CruzerLite has their Androidified cases up and for sale on their site.
Old August 30th, 2012, 09:56 AM   #473 (permalink)

I have the second iteration of the Poetic case in my hands now, and sure enough, the cover is far too heavy for the tiny magnets they put in place to hold it down.

When I first ordered it, I also didn't realize that you couldn't fold the cover completely flat behind the device.

I get it; these are relatively inexpensive cases and they're cutting every corner. I kind of have to shake my head in amazement, though, when they overlook the glaringly obvious need to be able to fold the cover back, then issue two separate iterations of the case that both have design flaws.
Old August 30th, 2012, 01:01 PM   #474 (permalink)

Device(s):

Really dissatisfied with the Poetic. It keeps dropping the Bluetooth signal whilst im typing. For the keyboard to work i have to have another wire connecting the case to the tab. Looks bulky and messy! The keyboard keys are also tiny and unresponsive when typing fast. Definitely not recommended!
Last edited by amz89; August 30th, 2012 at 01:15 PM.
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #475 (permalink)
JsT

Device(s): HTC Desire

Such a shame these cases haven't been fully tested before they were released to customers...
Turbojoe likes this.
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:13 PM   #476 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsT View Post
Such a shame these cases haven't been fully tested before they were released to customers...
Like just about everything on the market these days. We're no longer consumers. We're beta testers....

Joe
Old August 30th, 2012, 03:54 PM   #477 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Marquee w/CTMod 3.68 & Hyper 2.0, Google Nexus 7 16GB - PA w/_motley's kernel

Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Aristide

On the flip side, incredibly happy with my Moko 360 :-)
Proudly displayed on our front door!
DO YOUR PART TO END TYRANNY!
Old September 1st, 2012, 07:39 AM   #478 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, MyTouch 4G

**Update on Hipstreet Asus Google Nexus 7" Rotating Case - Hipstreet **

Well i received my tablet Thursday night and didn't waste time to slide it in the case. I'm a bit disappointed with it, nothing's perfect and this one needs work.

1- The tablet itself isn't heavy, but the case can only keep it standing in 2 of the 3 grooves in Landscape. In Portrait, first one is ok, the middle one is 50/50 at best (doesn't sit well in the groove because of the stylus holder that also rest on the edge of the case) and the last topples over.

2- The piece that makes the tablet swivel isn't tight enough, when you hold it in your hand (versus stand on a surface), it doesn't stick to the portrait position, it feels weak.

3- The stylus holder is weirdly placed, it's at the bottom of the case, right where the USB connector sits. So you need to pull it out each time charge or sync the tablet. Also i can't slide the stylus in the inside folds, it doesn't fit.

It's too bad cause the leather and suede combo works well. Gonna keep this as a stand when travelling, but for everyday use, i'll find something else.
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM   #479 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7

Default Blurex Ultra-Slim Case

After reading many different reviews I believe this case is 1 of the best.

: Blurex Ultra-Slim Case for Google Nexus 7 inch Tablet -- With built in Multi-Angle Stand: Computers & Accessories

Technical Details
Designed specifically for the Google Nexus 7 Tablet With cutouts to all ports
Protect and Secure your Google Nexus 7 Tablet by absorbing shock from accidental drops
Ultra thin and portable
Converts into multi-angle stand for added convenience
Built-in Sleep / Wake Feature --- Does not activate sleep mode when cover is flipped all the way back.

I found mine for 9.99 and I'm waiting for it in the mail now. :-)
Turbojoe likes this.
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:47 PM   #480 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacroyalty View Post
I found mine for 9.99 and I'm waiting for it in the mail now. :-)
Where did you find it for that price? Was shipping reasonable? I like the corner protection on this one.

Joe
sponsored links
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:53 PM   #481 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
Where did you find it for that price? Was shipping reasonable? I like the corner protection on this one.

Joe
Hey Joe.

It was actually a coupon code on dealcatcher.com through Amazon. Not sure if this code has expired

Bruce
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:02 AM   #482 (permalink)

Just checked dealcatcher. The deal is over. Story of my life.

Let us know what you think of it when you get it. I'm particularly interested in how much the corner sections will pad a drop. It's only $14.99 normal price but I don't want to buy another if it's not what I really want. Not sure what I'd use my old one for......

Joe
Old September 3rd, 2012, 03:51 AM   #483 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

Got the Poetic Smart Case and while it works OK, I don't really like it.

Cover doesn't fold back flat
Too bulky
Power button too restricted
I don't like the big magnets on show to keep the case closed
Smells strange/cheap
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:33 AM   #484 (permalink)

Device(s): DroidX,Nexus7
Carrier: Verizon phone, Charter internet

Bought the Moko at $14 delivered and am quite satisfied. The magnet SEEMS to work as intended ... off closed, turns on when opened, still on on back. Protection seems adequate.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 04:16 PM   #485 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013, iPad Mini Retina, MBP.

Poetic Element Aluminum TPU

Price- $15

First Look- Poetic Element Aluminum Nexus 7 TPU Case - YouTube
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM   #486 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Device(s): Moto X 16 GB Cricket Wireless®/ Stock Galaxy Note 10.1 ®
Carrier: Crickets Wireless ®

Thanked 7,097 Times in 4,187 Posts

Just got the below smart case for the wife off eBay for $8.99

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Site Rules/Guidelines
If something needs attention, Report it .

PM me if you need a referral

Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:38 PM   #487 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7, Optimus V (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonB View Post
Just got the below smart case for the wife off eBay for $8.99

CLICK HERE TO VIEW

Let me know how it is, I ordered the same one
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:46 PM   #488 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Probably won't get it until Friday, I live in Florida and it is coming from Silicon Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink182 View Post
Let me know how it is, I ordered the same one
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #489 (permalink)

Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s

Default OEM ASUS Nexus 7 Case, where to buy it?

So I can't seem to find the OEM case that ASUS offers for the Nexus 7. The Play store says out of stock, and I can't seem to find it anywhere else. Anyone with better luck?
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:16 AM   #490 (permalink)
ROM Developer

Device(s): LG G Flex, LG Spirit, LG Motion, LG F3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanked 4,936 Times in 2,077 Posts

same here, strange thing is they had em available a few days b4 I got my N7 lol

PlayfulDroidz Wiki
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #491 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

I will move this to the case thread since it is related and to save some clutter in the forums.
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #492 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB

Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts

Yeah, from what I have seen, the OEM case is rarer than hen's teeth in the wild.
See something you hate? Hit Report!
Old September 5th, 2012, 05:22 PM   #493 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7

Is this one new? The ad says it's made by ASUS and I'm not seeing anyone else talking about it.

ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 360 ROTATING LEATHER CASE SMART COVER + SCREEN PROTECTOR
The Following User Says Thank You to AlkiDweller For This Useful Post:
CrackBaby (September 5th, 2012)
Old September 6th, 2012, 04:17 AM   #494 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus:rooted, Nexus7:rooted, HTC Doubleshot:rooted, Huawei Ascend:rooted, Droid Eris: rooted
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2005 View Post

Just got this one from Amazon. Only $9.99.

Its decent... better than spending $30 at Walmart. Screen protector is nice, the stylus is a piece of junk, as is the charger. But I didn't expect great quality for only $9.99. All made in China.

I'm pleased with it. The magnet works great, and it folds to the perfect angle.

*The stylus is cheap plastic that is hollow, but it does work just fine. I just feel like I'm going to break it...
I got this same case, but in purple, and I absolutely love it. It was less than $10 including shipping, and came with all those other items. It looks much more expensive than what I paid for it, and does everything I need it to do. There is no magnet issues here, the sleep/wake function works perfectly. I wouldn't buy a different case even if I had more money. Plus I like how it looks like a journal when closed, so I don't feel so paranoid about people stealing it while I am at school or on the bus. (I live in a bad part of Tucson). I totally recommend this case if you are looking for something affordable that does an above average job of protecting your n7. The stylus works great for me. I have not tried the car charger, but heard it doesn't work, I only take public transportation anyway. The screen protector is the same kind I use on my phones, and the ones I prefer. It takes a little to get it on without bubbles, but works great once you do.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #495 (permalink)

Quote:
Probably won't get it until Friday, I live in Florida and it is coming from Silicon Valley
sorry to burst your bubble but this case sucks.
its cheap feeling, flimsy and it seems as if i were to drop it it wouldnt protect a thing. Least i only payed $8.99 for it.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:37 PM   #496 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

K, still did not get it, I guess in life we get what we pay for, lol, if you get a different one let me know

I guess we will have to look at the One Dana got above.

Quote:
sorry to burst your bubble but this case sucks.
its cheap feeling, flimsy and it seems as if i were to drop it it wouldnt protect a thing. Least i only payed $8.99 for it.
Last edited by DonB; September 7th, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #497 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Do you have a link to the one you got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post
I got this same case, but in purple, and I absolutely love it. It was less than $10 including shipping, and came with all those other items. It looks much more expensive than what I paid for it, and does everything I need it to do. There is no magnet issues here, the sleep/wake function works perfectly. I wouldn't buy a different case even if I had more money. Plus I like how it looks like a journal when closed, so I don't feel so paranoid about people stealing it while I am at school or on the bus. (I live in a bad part of Tucson). I totally recommend this case if you are looking for something affordable that does an above average job of protecting your n7. The stylus works great for me. I have not tried the car charger, but heard it doesn't work, I only take public transportation anyway. The screen protector is the same kind I use on my phones, and the ones I prefer. It takes a little to get it on without bubbles, but works great once you do.
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #498 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you have a link to the one you got.
lol i wish i would have seen this before i bought it, thinking about buying this one too
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #499 (permalink)
♡ Spidey Sense !! ♡ ™

Lets wait and see if Dana can get us a link to it

Quote:
lol i wish i would have seen this before i bought it, thinking about buying this one too
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #500 (permalink)

Quote:
Lets wait and see if Dana can get us a link to it
this? Amazon.com: FINTIE (Black) PU Leather Folio Stand Case Cover for Google Asus Nexus 7 Inch Android Tablet with Screen Protector/Car Charger/Stylus/Cable Tie/USB Cable/Earphone Cord Winder-9 Color Options:Black,Green,Blue,Orange,Red,Navy,Deep Pink,Blac

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)