Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Unforgiven
  • 1 Post By Claghorn

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default How do you delete the home screens on the Nexus 7?

When you first get the tablet you have like 5 home screens. Then i deleted all of those stupid widgets you get at the beginning. Now i have 1 screen with apps and the rest are empty. How can i delete the rest?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Device(s): Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Note II, S3

Thanked 16,895 Times in 9,292 Posts

That is usually reserved for custom launchers. I haven't seen a version of stock Android yet that allows you to manage the number of home screens.

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Old July 19th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
That is usually reserved for custom launchers. I haven't seen a version of stock Android yet that allows you to manage the number of home screens.
No you can delete the home screens on gingerbread. You have to pinch your fingers together in the home screen and then it lets you delete it. But these one doesn't let you.
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Originally Posted by dportal2006 View Post
No you can delete the home screens on gingerbread. You have to pinch your fingers together in the home screen and then it lets you delete it. But these one doesn't let you.
I don't want to be a doink. I want to learn. Which version of Android were you on? Was it a skinned version (Moto, Samsung, LG, HTC) or another? Seriously, if there is a way, I like being able to put another tool in the belt and I have very little experience with skinned roms and would appreciate finding out something about stock roms.
Old July 19th, 2012, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
I don't want to be a doink. I want to learn. Which version of Android were you on? Was it a skinned version (Moto, Samsung, LG, HTC) or another? Seriously, if there is a way, I like being able to put another tool in the belt and I have very little experience with skinned roms and would appreciate finding out something about stock roms.
Well my phone is an LG phone and it came is the stock version of Gingerbread 2.3.4. I rooted the phone and then installed Go Launcher but before that i used the stock launcher and it did allow me to add and delete home screens just like Go Launcher. I am not an expert by any means so i don't know if other phones can't do it. But i doubt it. That LG phone is as vanilla as it gets.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr M, TF300
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Well my phone is an LG phone and it came is the stock version of Gingerbread 2.3.4. I rooted the phone and then installed Go Launcher but before that i used the stock launcher and it did allow me to add and delete home screens just like Go Launcher. I am not an expert by any means so i don't know if other phones can't do it. But i doubt it. That LG phone is as vanilla as it gets.
It'd be more helpful if you could name your phone, but there isn't a phone or tablet running stock Android that has that function.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Yeah, that's the thing. One big thing the custom launchers add is the ability to change the number of homescreens. It has been an android pet peeve since froyo. I really hope I wasn't offensive, that was never my intent. You are a good dood dportal.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Quote:
Yeah, that's the thing. One big thing the custom launchers add is the ability to change the number of homescreens. It has been an android pet peeve since froyo. I really hope I wasn't offensive, that was never my intent. You are a good dood dportal.
Oh no dude it is totally cool. My phone is an LG esteem. Going back now i just saw that it was actually an "LG launcher" not the actual launcher that came with Gingerbread. It was my mistake.

But damn this totally sucks now i am going to have to download another launcher.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Oh no dude it is totally cool. My phone is an LG esteem. Going back now i just saw that it was actually an "LG launcher" not the actual launcher that came with Gingerbread. It was my mistake.

But damn this totally sucks now i am going to have to download another launcher.
I wouldn't worry about it. Aside from being able to delete panes, the ICS/JB launcher is IMO way better than any custom launcher (and I have three purchased). The stock launcher will do anything you want to do except control the number of screens, and probably more.
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic, Nexus 7
Carrier: Sprint

Send a message via MSN to godsdragon Send a message via Yahoo to godsdragon Send a message via Skype™ to godsdragon

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I know which screen I am on if I do not have any widgets/icons on them? I know there is like two preinstalled with widgets...
Is there only 4?
sponsored links
Old July 19th, 2012, 09:51 PM   #11 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsdragon View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how do I know which screen I am on if I do not have any widgets/icons on them? I know there is like two preinstalled with widgets...
Is there only 4?
I don't have my N& yet, but in ICS there is a dash just above the soft keys that shoes which homescreen you are on.
godsdragon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unforgiven For This Useful Post:
godsdragon (July 20th, 2012)
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:14 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

I just checked mine, and there is a very thin line drawn above the icons on the bottom for the frequently used apps like play <whatever>. It is normally just a think white line, but when you start flipping between home screens, a barely perceptible blue "thumb" moves along the line like it was a scrollbar showing you which screen you are moving to, but once you stop moving, it goes all white again.
godsdragon likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Claghorn For This Useful Post:
godsdragon (July 20th, 2012)
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanked 7,635 Times in 3,996 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it. Aside from being able to delete panes, the ICS/JB launcher is IMO way better than any custom launcher (and I have three purchased). The stock launcher will do anything you want to do except control the number of screens, and probably more.
Which custom launchers have you tried? Admittedly I haven't used the stock ICS launcher for more than a few minutes, but Apex and Nova are supposed to be pretty much the same + extra features.

If you see a post that needs a mod's attention, hit the button.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyro View Post
Which custom launchers have you tried? Admittedly I haven't used the stock ICS launcher for more than a few minutes, but Apex and Nova are supposed to be pretty much the same + extra features.
I've tried both shortly after I got the GNex. They are both very similar to stock ICS with pretty much a lot of extra options (like toggles in the pull down, ability to add/remove screens, wrapping scroll - go from screen 4 to screen 1, etc).

I wasn't that I didn't like them, they just didn't offer enough extra for me to make it worth running a second launcher on my phone.
Old July 20th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #15 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

xyro.af@gmail.com

Quote:
I've tried both shortly after I got the GNex. They are both very similar to stock ICS with pretty much a lot of extra options (like toggles in the pull down, ability to add/remove screens, wrapping scroll - go from screen 4 to screen 1, etc).

I wasn't that I didn't like them, they just didn't offer enough extra for me to make it worth running a second launcher on my phone.
Makes sense. In my case, I had been using Launcher Pro for ages and liked it, but the development dried up, so it was stuck as a gingerbread style launcher. Switching to apex was the only way to get an ICS/JB style launcher and keep all of the tweaks and customisation I was used to.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7

Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:

FYI, if you are rooted, you can stop the primary launcher from running by renaming or deleting the file out of /system/app.

Also, the stock launcher doesn't consume much memory or many CPU cycles as long as you've cleared all the widgets off it.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Makes sense. In my case, I had been using Launcher Pro for ages and liked it, but the development dried up, so it was stuck as a gingerbread style launcher. Switching to apex was the only way to get an ICS/JB style launcher and keep all of the tweaks and customisation I was used to.
I always loved launcher pro. It is too bad. I haven't even seen the dev show up anywhere else. He just vanished.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:

you didn't like the ability to add more shortcuts to the dock, or having multiple docks?
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
I always loved launcher pro. It is too bad. I haven't even seen the dev show up anywhere else. He just vanished.
I agree. I mean, I don't need my three bucks or whatever to entitle me to infinite updates and development, but it would have been nice if the dev had just said, "hey guys, life has taken me in another direction and I'm discontinuing development on Launcher Pro. Sorry, and I hope you've enjoyed it."

Instead, he kept dragging it out by saying "it's in process" every few months.
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:26 AM   #20 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post
you didn't like the ability to add more shortcuts to the dock, or having multiple docks?
On my phone it was unnecessary for me. Just because I can doesn't mean I needed to. If you see my screenshot below, that is everything I use on a daily basis on one screen (note which app is front and center under social).

sponsored links
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #21 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

xyro.af@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by binary visions View Post
Instead, he kept dragging it out by saying "it's in process" every few months.
I've checked their forum from time to time and he hasn't even posted himself in months. Now it's just a small number of mods on his forum who sprout the "an update is being worked on" line when anyone asks...
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s): VZW GS3 4.0.4 Rooted, Droid Incredible (Retired) , Motorola Xoom 4.0.4 (Unrooted)

Quote:
I've checked their forum from time to time and he hasn't even posted himself in months. Now it's just a small number of mods on his forum who sprout the "an update is being worked on" line when anyone asks...
Well Duke Nukem Forever only took, what was it, 12 years (and 2 companies) before it dribbled out...

Give LauncherPro a chance - the dev's probably working on a exothermic holographic spatial telepathic awareness interface for it...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachel A For This Useful Post:
binary visions (July 20th, 2012), Xyro (July 20th, 2012)
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X (AT&T), Google Nexus 7, iPad 2, Asus T100TA Windows 8.1

I've used ADW for all of my phones till I hit ICS. Now I'm using Nova launcher for that and the nexus... The ONE feature I love (Not limited to Nova) is the swipe gesture on a home screen to get to apps. I always remove my apps button from my launcher bar because all I have to do is swipe up and it will take me to my app drawer. It makes one handed use a little easier on these large devices imho.
Old July 20th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #24 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

xyro.af@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by burtonvdp View Post
I've used ADW for all of my phones till I hit ICS. Now I'm using Nova launcher for that and the nexus... The ONE feature I love (Not limited to Nova) is the swipe gesture on a home screen to get to apps. I always remove my apps button from my launcher bar because all I have to do is swipe up and it will take me to my app drawer. It makes one handed use a little easier on these large devices imho.
I have a swipe down to open the notification bar on my phone. I reckon that would be even more handy on a tablet, since reaching it one handed it pretty much out of the question normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel_Ambler View Post
Well Duke Nukem Forever only took, what was it, 12 years (and 2 companies) before it dribbled out...

Give LauncherPro a chance - the dev's probably working on a exothermic holographic spatial telepathic awareness interface for it...
That's true. And look how great Duke Nuken Forever was when it finally launched!

Wait...
Old July 20th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic, Nexus 7
Carrier: Sprint

Send a message via MSN to godsdragon Send a message via Yahoo to godsdragon Send a message via Skype™ to godsdragon

Quote:
I don't have my N& yet, but in ICS there is a dash just above the soft keys that shoes which homescreen you are on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claghorn View Post
I just checked mine, and there is a very thin line drawn above the icons on the bottom for the frequently used apps like play <whatever>. It is normally just a think white line, but when you start flipping between home screens, a barely perceptible blue "thumb" moves along the line like it was a scrollbar showing you which screen you are moving to, but once you stop moving, it goes all white again.
Ah... Found it.. Most devices indicate the screen you are on, at the top.. That's why I couldn't figure it out! LOL
Thanks!
Old July 20th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2 (t-mobile)

The Nova & Apex launchers are next on my list of things to try out. But so far, complaints about what's already there in JB.
Last edited by CrackBaby; July 20th, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old December 8th, 2012, 06:08 AM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

That seems wrong, the statement that no Android device lets you delete home screens. I have a Samsung Charge that has always let me do it. Had it for over a year through multiple versions of the Android OS. Never rooted. No special app. Looked up how on these very forums as I recall. Is it some Verizon customization?
Old December 8th, 2012, 07:46 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscareme View Post
That seems wrong, the statement that no Android device lets you delete home screens. I have a Samsung Charge that has always let me do it. Had it for over a year through multiple versions of the Android OS. Never rooted. No special app. Looked up how on these very forums as I recall. Is it some Verizon customization?
It's a Samsung customization.

The comment above was referring to the fact that no vanilla Android version lets you do this. Some of the custom OEM versions allow it, including HTC I believe.
Old December 8th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #29 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscareme View Post
Welcome to Android Forums uscareme.

That refers to the stock Android launcher that comes with Nexus devices and a limited few other devices (OG Droid, Xoom, and possibly one or two others). Pure Android has never allowed the removal of home screens.

Manufacturer skins like Touchwiz or Sense may allow for adding or removing homescreens as well as many custom launchers.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 Nexus 7
Carrier: T-Mobile

I wish they'd add this feature into stock android. It'd be a better improvement than the lockscreen widgets feature that they just added. Well it doesn't matter anyway because I'd still end up using Nova Launcher which already has this feature.
sponsored links

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)