Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Unforgiven

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Need some links for guides and tutorials for android virgins & Nexus 7

The folks just told me that they plan on picking up a Nexus 7 in the coming days. Now, they're in their late 60's and are complete virgins with Android. I've been looking for simple, easy to understand guides and tutorials for them, be they text or video, but all the ones I've found assume a certain level of familiarity with Android. One was even for some anal sex toy called a Nexus 7 I'm not in the same country as them anymore and so won't be on hand to give 'em day to day help. They won't be power users and will mainly use it for web browsing, e-mail, Skype and maps. Anyone one got any links that would help?

sponsored links
Old July 23rd, 2012, 03:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)

Thanked 14,245 Times in 7,813 Posts

I would get them the official android forum app or tapatalk and have them join here. This place is a friendly, online living guide that will give them specific help when they have a question. I, myself, have helped many folks from my parents generation (mid 60s) on here with questions. They are generally more appreciative of the personalized help as they grew up in an era with person to person support. Many even commented that they had read the Dummies books and any guide they could find but having someone say "tap the little icon that looks like an open envelope" because that's the way they describe it in their question was really helpful. If you want, have them PM me, I'll introduce myself and get them started.
drbugsmn and Jay Aristide like this.

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Old July 23rd, 2012, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7, Vizio Co-Star

The help is pretty damned helpful. Also, one of the books that I received in Play Books was a Nexus 7 guide. Its all there in black and white and pretty comprehensive.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 08:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)

Thanked 14,245 Times in 7,813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectstranger View Post
The help is pretty damned helpful. Also, one of the books that I received in Play Books was a Nexus 7 guide. Its all there in black and white and pretty comprehensive.
It is, but like Gaughranorama said, it if for folks that are familiar with Android, touchscreens, cloud storage, and technology in general. My parents grew up being able to put two feet on the frame of the car around the engine block and fix anything with two wrenches. That's not the way things work anymore. When my Grandma had a problem with her car, she went and saw the guy that sold it to her and he made it right. With my parents, I'm the one that sold it to them, and I am the one that needs to make it right. It is a generational difference. And please don't think that I am calling you out perfectstranger, I really think that AF is more like thing were in the 50's with car with regards to how tech is today. We all help each other out.
Old July 24th, 2012, 12:28 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7, Vizio Co-Star

No problem. I just hope they get treated decently here. People can be harsh to questions that seem simple, we've all seen it. Feel free to give them my username. I'll give whatever help is possible.

Matt
Old July 26th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Thanks a million for the offer Unforgiven. I'll definately be getting them to sign up at some point but I'm hoping it won't really be necessary now. The girl they spoke to in PC World was shockingly helpful they said. I think they actually had more praise for her than they did for the Nexus! She spent just under 2 hours with them going through all the basics. She walked them through Google Play by downloading and installing Skype and the Camera app and then watched as they did the same for Netflix and another couple of apps. She also showed them how to use Maps and Navigation, use the voice controls, the notification bar and the UI in general. I think they got enough from her to familiarise themselves with the OS enough that they can figure out anything else they need to know. Customer service like that is sadly becoming a thing of the past but Jesus did it make their day and set them off on the right foot into the world of Android
Old July 26th, 2012, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Done and done.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details/Google_Inc_Nexus_7_Guidebook?id=gKmQD47OvCYC
Old July 26th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Nexus 7

The Google Nexus YouTube channel has a bunch of videos aimed at the Android first timer - getting started, make yoourself at home, Google Apps...and they seem to be adding more.

Google Nexus - YouTube

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)