Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

View Poll Results: Do you have screen separation?
Yes, and I noticed it right out of the box. 40 25.64%
Yes, and I believe it's from me using it. 21 13.46%
No, and I wouldn't care anyways. 13 8.33%
No, but I'm returning my Nexus 7 until problems are worked out. 1 0.64%
I don't know, I'm too afraid to look. 4 2.56%
Other: Let's see it in the comments. 16 10.26%
No 61 39.10%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree35Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:34 PM   #151 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus7, KindleFire, Xtab7, Archos43
Carrier: Not Provided

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

I am wondering if everyone having problems had their N7 shipped during hot weather? High temperatures can release the glue holding the screen together. Mine seems perfect, got it in normal temp weather 8GB.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:39 AM   #152 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

Adhesives used in electronics should be more than able to withstand warm weather. Also, once they have cured that's it - no heating up and resealing.

If Asus have used some cheaper alternative that would be very disappointing.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:21 AM   #153 (permalink)

LookinNwpt@gmail.com
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
Adhesives used in electronics should be more than able to withstand warm weather. Also, once they have cured that's it - no heating up and resealing.

If Asus have used some cheaper alternative that would be very disappointing.
The adhesive on the iPhone 3gs cracked screen I replaced a couple of months ago released the broken glass fragments easily after I heated it with a heat gun, so if the ups truck was out sitting in the hot sun long enough the package could get very hot, just a thought.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:02 AM   #154 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnickn View Post
I just got my 16GB and the left side is kind of squishy, if that makes sense. The bezel seems to lift up about .25-.75 mm every few minutes. Should I return my unit, as the defect has little effect overall, or could this get worse over time? I don't won't my screen to later crack or anything.
Mine was the same and I returned it. The replacement is much better. A few creaks on the right hand side but no screen lift as far as I can tell. My first one got worse in the week I used it.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM   #155 (permalink)

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldGreig View Post
Mine was the same and I returned it. The replacement is much better. A few creaks on the right hand side but no screen lift as far as I can tell. My first one got worse in the week I used it.
How tightly are you all squeezing these tablets to get they to squeek?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:08 AM   #156 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 plus, Samsung GT-S5830T (Rooted), Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Telstra

I don't live in America but I have heard about heat waves or something recently, so that could be the problem although it is a long shot.

The weather is freezing where I am right now so I hopefully I don't have any problems
Old August 3rd, 2012, 01:26 PM   #157 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus Nexus 7 Kindle Fire (sold)

i got a replacement for mine. only screen separation on one side, but the speaker sounds like !@#$ above 30-40%. 3rd one on the way.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 06:32 PM   #158 (permalink)

Device(s):

In a matter of one day, my nexus has gotten far worse. The screen is way up now, and pressing on the left of the screen makes some liquid ripple in the display. Here is a new question for you all. I bought this through office depot, so who would handle the warranty repair? Google directly, or Asus? Does Asus charge for shipping like I have heard?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:38 PM   #159 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G, Asus Nexus 7 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhat View Post
i got a replacement for mine. only screen separation on one side, but the speaker sounds like !@#$ above 30-40%. 3rd one on the way.
Do another exchange. No reason for you to have to deal with this issue
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:03 AM   #160 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr M, TF300
Carrier: Verizon

I just returned my first one to Office Depot today because of screen separation and flickering. I walked over to walmart, they had three that just came in, and I bought one. It's absolutely perfect. The left side of the screen feels MUCH sturdier compared to my last one. I am pumped.
sponsored links
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM   #161 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy S2; Nexus 10
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanked 2,906 Times in 1,852 Posts

I sent my 2nd one back to Google Thursday for a refund. I saw some guy at XDA who has been through 7 5, 6 and 7 he bought at Walmart and said number 7 is perfect. I may give it one more shot and try Walmart today since its tax free weekend. I really miss my N7.
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:24 AM   #162 (permalink)

If I receive mine and there is screen seperation I'll just get a refund straight away off Google Play and then purchase one locally, that way I can try in store, and if I have any problems it's a ten minute drive not a one week postal issue.
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:42 AM   #163 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy TabPRO 8.4, Google Nexus 5, OnePlus One
Carrier: CellCard & Metfone

Thanked 1,399 Times in 742 Posts

I answered yes, but it's so small (about the thickness of a playing card or ~0.25mm) that I really don't care. If it gets significantly worse in the next couple months I'll replace it.

Please don't send me PMs with support questions. That's what the forum is for
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #164 (permalink)
Nexican

Device(s): hammerhead, falcon, dream (Retired: grouper, mako, toro, daytona, vivow, inc, aloha, encore)
Carrier: T-Mobile & VZW

Thanked 3,216 Times in 1,890 Posts
jdmartinez89@gmail.com

Just got replacement yesterday and it is perfect. I really hope you all get one that is perfect, too.

Atma likes this.
My favorite getaway--->Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #165 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Optimus G, HTC EVO 3D, Nexus S 4G, Nexus 7
Carrier: Sprint

I'm thinking about replacing mine now. Last night, the top right corner, when pressed, makes a clicking noise. Seems to be coming loose around there. Sucks.

How long is the Google warranty for?
Old August 4th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #166 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Send a message via AIM to alextop30

I am sorry for all of you that also have screen problems and as a person that bought it from Google play I really do not want to be dealing with this shipping crazy and just get a good unit but it seems there isn't much choice.

So I have decided to wait for the second RMA to see if screen problems will maybe get fixed as new units come out of the factory. For those of you that bought them from stores and you got to inspect the unit very smart of you :-)
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:18 PM   #167 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4, Razr M
Carrier: Big Red

FEDEX just dropped off my 2nd one, this time I ordered it from Radio Shack. It has less screen lift than my previous one but I'm taking it back. I will order another through them and see what happens. I didn't even bother turning it on.

Edit: Called RS customer service, they set up an RA and they are sending a shipping label. The CSR said I can still return to the store but they are basically shipping it back for me. The CSR upgraded shipping to 2 day for me which was cool since I told him it only took 2 days to get it. He went ahead and placed a new order for me while we were on the phone. I don't buy from RS much but the customer service is pretty good.
Last edited by RadYOacTiVe; August 4th, 2012 at 04:48 PM.
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:02 PM   #168 (permalink)

Device(s):

I had a google purchased nexus 7 that had screen separation on the left, and sometimes the touch sensitivity was bad. I RMAd through google July 30th. I got my replacement yesterday and so far so good. No screen separation, no dead pixels, touch sensitivity is good.

The only issue is mildly washed out color, but that was an issue with my previous one and I believe is an issue with most. I will most likely keep this new one. Not sure it matters, but my original had C60 at the beginning of the serial number, my new one had C70.

Now I just need to put some games progress over to the new tablet by rooting both tablets before sending the original back.
Last edited by neut6o1; August 4th, 2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Added serial number info.
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #169 (permalink)

I'm torn on what I will do if my 3rd one has issues. I really want this tablet but this is getting to be a pain in the @55. I almost contemplated getting in on the 32gb Sony Tablet S with cradle deal.
Old August 4th, 2012, 06:23 PM   #170 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R

Well what can I say if you can live with a little screen separation should not be a problem - I really do not have any problem with touch sensitivity on mine or anything else. Colors look like they should. The only problem is the screen lift on the left side but when it is in the case I don't see it LOL.

I would like to get one that has no problems and root it so that I can backup my apps and stuff but I don't think I can at this point in time because I do plan to RMA it again which kinna defeats the purpose of backups but what ever.
sponsored links
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #171 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7

I was so paranoid about getting a bad Nexus after reading about all these problems! Thankfully mine seems to be just fine. I received it August 2nd.
sleezecheeze likes this.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #172 (permalink)

Device(s):

I returned my two nexus 16 gig tablets and have not gotten a refund yet. Its been 2 weeks no word.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #173 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScornedNexus View Post
I returned my two nexus 16 gig tablets and have not gotten a refund yet. Its been 2 weeks no word.
I would do exactly what their email to me says to do: "If you fail to receive an update on your returned device within 14 days, please do not hesitate to contact our support team for a status update."
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:23 AM   #174 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleezecheeze View Post
If I receive mine and there is screen seperation I'll just get a refund straight away off Google Play and then purchase one locally, that way I can try in store, and if I have any problems it's a ten minute drive not a one week postal issue.
good luck I have not gotten a refund. I returned in 15 day window and the nexus' were flawless except for the screen that came broken from google play.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:25 AM   #175 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Toshiba Excite 10 AT300, Hisense Sero 7 Pro [rooted], Ouya

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCarter View Post
I was so paranoid about getting a bad Nexus after reading about all these problems! Thankfully mine seems to be just fine. I received it August 2nd.

It's easy to get caught up in stuff like this, but try to remember that the folks having problems will always be the most outspoken about it.

I assure you the vast majority of Nexus 7 users are enjoying a problem-free device.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:31 AM   #176 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
Is it not kind of sad how badly Google and Asus dropped the ball on this project? First the shipping thing was just a disaster with pre orders shipping after the units started selling in some of the bigger retailers. Next you see quality issues where screens are coming apart bleed and image ghosting are appearing. Do companies not care about their reputation? If I was the head of Google I would ridicule Asus like crazy and suspend sales until the issue has actually been fixed. I don't think it is a secret that there is a nice hefty contract between Google and Asus to produce the Nexus 7 but it seems they half ass it. Personally I think this is much more damaging to Google as opposed to Asus. None the less I still like my Android and Asus will never get any of my money. The transformer infinity or anything in the future does not deserve my attention.

You know I am still surprised how these companies can screw things up so royally and say there is nothing they can do but when I made a small mistake at work during my training period I nearly got fired. That is how the world works, but I will simply choose to be an informed customer and not put up with a company's stupidity and not have them profit on my back. I guess just a rant that has been around my head. I would love to see some more rants for who do you think screwed the nexus 7 up?

I Agree completely
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:32 AM   #177 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridermt2k View Post
It's easy to get caught up in stuff like this, but try to remember that the folks having problems will always be the most outspoken about it.

I assure you the vast majority of Nexus 7 users are enjoying a problem-free device.
Not true, there are 4 people at work that have this problem and they don't care. Also people don't know. I doubt there are any unaffected devices.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM   #178 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Toshiba Excite 10 AT300, Hisense Sero 7 Pro [rooted], Ouya

Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScornedNexus View Post
Not true, there are 4 people at work that have this problem and they don't care. Also people don't know. I doubt there are any unaffected devices.
Mine is unaffected, as are the others already posted in this thread.

I can see that logic has taken a back seat to emotion on this issue, so I will bow out now with apologies for stirring up the pot.
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #179 (permalink)

Device(s):

Clearly a lot of devices have the problem but I suspect a much larger percentage are fine or so slight that people not looking for the problem wouldn't notice.

But I remember reading a lot of reviews before release and NOT ONE commented on a dodgy screen and most reviews commented on how good the build quality was.

That's certainly not my experience but makes me wonder how come the pre-release reviewers all got good units?
Last edited by shaneydroid; August 5th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old August 5th, 2012, 01:58 PM   #180 (permalink)

Anybody notice a slight clicking on the right side? Unit 2 has a slight click on the right side. It's not a glue sound though (would know from the first unit), it just sounds like something is lose. Maybe the screw tightening method will work.
sponsored links
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #181 (permalink)

So I was out today and stopped by walmart and they had about 4 of them. Opened it when I got home and it had the screen separation also. That was my third. I have one on the way from Radio Shack that should be here this week.

3 units from 3 different stores all with the screen lift.

For you guys willing to keep it, consider that it could get worse after your return period and you are stuck dealing with a warranty claim with Asus.
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #182 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielM426 View Post
Anybody notice a slight clicking on the right side? Unit 2 has a slight click on the right side. It's not a glue sound though (would know from the first unit), it just sounds like something is lose. Maybe the screw tightening method will work.
I have the same issue. Top right corner.
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #183 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
I have the same issue. Top right corner.
I've got it mid edge. I really hope that it can be solved by tightening the screws.
Old August 5th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #184 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid Razr M, TF300

Quote:
I've got it mid edge. I really hope that it can be solved by tightening the screws.
I can't quote the thread now, but a post from XDA shows that the solution is not to tighten the screws, but to loosen the screws, as they are a bit too long and tightening the long screws pushes the screen out further.
Old August 5th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #185 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 HTC Thunderbolt CM7

So I acknowledge that this might not be the most appreciated response, but... I pressed down really hard on the left edge for about 30 seconds and it stayed down. It has been creak and separation free for about five hours now. I think I'll stick with this device for awhile.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:25 PM   #186 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneydroid View Post
Clearly a lot of devices have the problem but I suspect a much larger percentage are fine or so slight that people not looking for the problem wouldn't notice.

But I remember reading a lot of reviews before release and NOT ONE commented on a dodgy screen and most reviews commented on how good the build quality was.

That's certainly not my experience but makes me wonder how come the pre-release reviewers all got good units?
You forgot the people that want to remain ignorant.
Old August 5th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #187 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'll be very happy when I receive my 550$ refund for my two tablets, and my money is sitting perfectly in my bank account. With out any screen separation problems or potential for them. Piece of mind thank god!
Old August 6th, 2012, 12:33 AM   #188 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy S3

Quote:
Mine has that. Not bothered. For 200 I'm just enjoying it. My first had bad LHS screen separation. This one is much better.
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:11 AM   #189 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

Mine has definitely risen some more. I also get the odd phantom touch from the left hand side. Not so much to ruin my enjoyment of the tablet but I'm looking forward to the replacement arriving and sending this one back to untie 200 from my account.
Old August 6th, 2012, 06:34 AM   #190 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 HTC One V LG Optimus V Motorola Droid A855 Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Send a message via Skype™ to cammykool cjs.tanner@gmail.com

i have it now but dont care
sponsored links
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #191 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

I think the only problem with this is that people sometimes do not know how much force to put sometime and end up braking the glass. There are numerous reports of that happening so I would really not recommended for this to be done!

This is in response to the pushing down on the screen for 30 seconds comment.
Old August 6th, 2012, 10:53 PM   #192 (permalink)

How long did it take to receive the alternate N7 when doing a swap?
I put my claim in today and got a message saying a new one is being shipped.
I leave for vacation on Thursday... I didn't think about that when I went through this process.
Is it possible I'll receive it in time?
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:10 AM   #193 (permalink)

Device(s):

Well I put mine in a week ago and it still hasn't even shipped yet so doesn't look like they're in any rush.
The Following User Says Thank You to shaneydroid For This Useful Post:
Nalej (August 7th, 2012)
Old August 7th, 2012, 05:05 AM   #194 (permalink)

I think I do but I'm not going to worry about it. The touch sensitivity is still fine and the creak is only in the very top of the right corner, like far into the bezel.
Old August 7th, 2012, 05:30 AM   #195 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
How long did it take to receive the alternate N7 when doing a swap?
Mine was pretty quick. I called Google last week on the weekend. My replacement shipped on Monday and I received it 2 days later on Wednesday.

And it went back Thursday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Atma For This Useful Post:
Nalej (August 7th, 2012)
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #196 (permalink)

Device(s): ipad 4, iphone 5. Awaiting nexus 4
Carrier: Orange

Got one today from ebuyer, uk. Has screen problem with glass lifting on right side.

Rang them, being collected tomorrow for refund.

Ordered another as its quicker than waiting for replacement.

I like the way google do returns, they send replacement before youneed to send old one back. I would have ordered with them but their post cost is shocking, ebayer does free next day delivery!
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #197 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)

Thanked 7,563 Times in 3,974 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by davewood44 View Post
I like the way google do returns, they send replacement before youneed to send old one back. I would have ordered with them but their post cost is shocking, ebayer does free next day delivery!
It's funny. They originally charged me 10 for two day shipping. Then they bumped that up for free to one day shipping.

Add in my two (or more?) warranty replacements, and that's two more one day shippings to me, as well as shipping the two defective ones back.

It must be getting expensive fast for them, although I'm sure they can cover the cost.

If you see a post that needs a mod's attention, hit the button.
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #198 (permalink)

Device(s):

How are people getting them so fast? My replacement still hasn't shipped after a week :-(
Old August 7th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #199 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)

Thanked 7,563 Times in 3,974 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com

Mine hasn't ether, actually. Replacement one shipped a day or so after placing my order but I ordered replacement two on Thursday last week and haven't heard anything yet.
Old August 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #200 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy Indulge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeKampuchia View Post
I answered yes, but it's so small (about the thickness of a playing card or ~0.25mm) that I really don't care. If it gets significantly worse in the next couple months I'll replace it.
Keep an eye on it. Mine was not too bad at all on initial purchase, but after a week of use I took it back to the store because it was getting worse.

There are a few in stock at my local Staples but I'm hesitant. I don't want to return another one.
Tags
nexus 7, nexus 7 screen, nexus7, screen, separation

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)