Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

View Poll Results: Do you have screen separation?
Yes, and I noticed it right out of the box. 40 25.64%
Yes, and I believe it's from me using it. 21 13.46%
No, and I wouldn't care anyways. 13 8.33%
No, but I'm returning my Nexus 7 until problems are worked out. 1 0.64%
I don't know, I'm too afraid to look. 4 2.56%
Other: Let's see it in the comments. 16 10.26%
No 61 39.10%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree35Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 3rd, 2012, 09:08 PM   #251 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

By the way how long do you leave the claps on the nexus 7?

Advertisements
__________________
Is it bad that I like code???
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:21 PM   #252 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Jeeeeeeeeeez! Just when I thought I escaped the nonsense of the dreaded multiple Android Device return game because I had a perfect Nexus 7...I went ahead and had to read this thread....lmaoooo!

OK so after reading this, I like so many others started to inspect my screen and low and behold I have very minor lifting in the middle of the left side of the screen. Its so minor I probably would have never noticed if it wasn't for this thread...lol

Anyway, I bought mine at Staples on Saturday along with the 2 year insurance that covers breaks from falls and cracks and everything else under the sun. My thought is do I take the plunge and start doing exchanges and risk getting one that is worse, or has other issues besides this screen lifting? Or just enjoy it and forget about it, and not worry because if it should get worse or anything like that I can just exercise my insurance and just get a new one from Staples down the road...
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2012, 11:43 PM   #253 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Jeeeeeeeeeez! Just when I thought I escaped the nonsense of the dreaded multiple Android Device return game because I had a perfect Nexus 7...I went ahead and had to read this thread....lmaoooo!

OK so after reading this, I like so many others started to inspect my screen and low and behold I have very minor lifting in the middle of the left side of the screen. Its so minor I probably would have never noticed if it wasn't for this thread...lol

Anyway, I bought mine at Staples on Saturday along with the 2 year insurance that covers breaks from falls and cracks and everything else under the sun. My thought is do I take the plunge and start doing exchanges and risk getting one that is worse, or has other issues besides this screen lifting? Or just enjoy it and forget about it, and not worry because if it should get worse or anything like that I can just exercise my insurance and just get a new one from Staples down the road...

Sorry for the misery I guess!!! It is up to you - Mine is slight enough that when I hold the screen on the left side and press down ever so slightly with my fingers I feel it and a slight creaking sound off of left edge. I hope this clamping down thing would work. I will keep it clamped until tomorrow and see how well that will do the trick.
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:45 AM   #254 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
ChiweN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 888
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (cdma and gsm), Google Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 577 Times in 218 Posts
chiwen5k@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
Sorry for the misery I guess!!! It is up to you - Mine is slight enough that when I hold the screen on the left side and press down ever so slightly with my fingers I feel it and a slight creaking sound off of left edge. I hope this clamping down thing would work. I will keep it clamped until tomorrow and see how well that will do the trick.
I did mine at night. Clamped it, heated it and left the clamps on overnight while I slept.
__________________
Donations are always appreciated! Buy my kid a diaper HERE
ChiweN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 09:50 AM   #255 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Damm this thread...lol!

Its weird with mine, when I hold it down right for about a minute it stays put below the bezel, and then after a few hours it minimally lifts slightly above the bezel again. Aghhhhhhh...I HATE STUFF LIKE THIS! Build quality woos like this right here drive me insane...yea yea I know its a $199 tablet, and these days quality control is just terrible with the luck of the draw factor bigger then ever before. But I just hate this whole nonsense with now having to risk getting one with worse issues, and then having the headache of going through multiple exchanges...Can't these manufacturers just get it right already. OK rant over...lol

But yea I think I'm going the route with just exchanging for another at Staples. I won't be doing any clamping or heating or tightening any screws ...
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #256 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Damm this thread...lol!

Its weird with mine, when I hold it down right for about a minute it stays put below the bezel, and then after a few hours it minimally lifts slightly above the bezel again. Aghhhhhhh...I HATE STUFF LIKE THIS! Build quality woos like this right here drive me insane...yea yea I know its a $199 tablet, and these days quality control is just terrible with the luck of the draw factor bigger then ever before. But I just hate this whole nonsense with now having to risk getting one with worse issues, and then having the headache of going through multiple exchanges...Can't these manufacturers just get it right already. OK rant over...lol

But yea I think I'm going the route with just exchanging for another at Staples. I won't be doing any clamping or heating or tightening any screws ...
Well the question you want to ask your self is can you live with it or do you want to try to get a new one. You can keep getting new ones until you get one that is absolutely perfect. The reason mine is starting to bother me is because I was experimenting with nfc and it is out of the case!
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #257 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
Well the question you want to ask your self is can you live with it or do you want to try to get a new one. You can keep getting new ones until you get one that is absolutely perfect. The reason mine is starting to bother me is because I was experimenting with nfc and it is out of the case!

Over time it may bother me, or get worse. I just know how this goes. You exchange one and its worse, you exchange another and it's a whole new issue, you exchange again and its all the issues combined.. lol! Very annoying. I may just return and get a 16gig...
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #258 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
You've been reading too many horror stories. Lots of us have perfect devices.
And lots of people don't have perfect devices.
It's clear during production there are a lot that got out the door without being QC'd. There's no way of telling how many faulty batches were produced before it was caught.
__________________
If you've been helped by anyone click THANKS
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #259 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
And lots of people don't have perfect devices.
It's clear during production there are a lot that got out the door without being QC'd. There's no way of telling how many faulty batches were produced before it was caught.

True that...The main thing to remember is that all manufacturers have issues with problems that arise in new products. Its pretty common that most new products always have build quality issues. That goes for the big players as well...HTC, Samsung, Moto, LG, and even Apple...Its just the way it is.

Overall I am impressed by what ASUS did for a $200 tablet, and issues like this, while annoying, can happen with a $500-700 tablet from any other manufacturer.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 10:55 AM   #260 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
True that...The main thing to remember is that all manufacturers have issues with problems that arise in new products. Its pretty common that most new products always have build quality issues. That goes for the big players as well...HTC, Samsung, Moto, LG, and even Apple...Its just the way it is.

Overall I am impressed by what ASUS did for a $200 tablet, and issues like this, while annoying, can happen with a $500-700 tablet from any other manufacturer.
Well while that is true I still think that there simply are not that many issues that have been identified with the nexus 7. Other than screen separation which has been the most wide spread one. The next is dead pixels which are possible on every device with lcd screen. The bleed has mostly been on preproduction units but it may come up I have e not read of anything else major. The pixels if in a cluster are a must exchange but other than that it is just screen separation that is plaguing this device. Also just a note the issue is irrespective of what size the tablet is. I have the 16gig and have gotten 2 replacements from Google which had the problem wore than my original! So naturally I returned the replacements and kept the original!
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #261 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Let's also keep in mind that many people aren't tech savvy. The *fix* may be a matter of DIY but you shouldn't have to no matter how little it cost.

I took apart a PSP to change the case and had a LOT of parts left over. Needless to say, I won't be taking anything else apart again.

By biggest concern is a slight defect over time becoming a major defect and end up being stuck with it. Me being who I am couldn't handle the small imperfection and would exchange or return it.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #262 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
Well while that is true I still think that there simply are not that many issues that have been identified with the nexus 7. Other than screen separation which has been the most wide spread one. The next is dead pixels which are possible on every device with lcd screen. The bleed has mostly been on preproduction units but it may come up I have e not read of anything else major. The pixels if in a cluster are a must exchange but other than that it is just screen separation that is plaguing this device. Also just a note the issue is irrespective of what size the tablet is. I have the 16gig and have gotten 2 replacements from Google which had the problem wore than my original! So naturally I returned the replacements and kept the original!

Realllllly??? See that's my fear with stuff like this. The replacement can always be worse then the original.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #263 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Let's also keep in mind that many people aren't tech savvy. The *fix* may be a matter of DIY but you shouldn't have to no matter how little it cost.

I took apart a PSP to change the case and had a LOT of parts left over. Needless to say, I won't be taking anything else apart again.

By biggest concern is a slight defect over time becoming a major defect and end up being stuck with it. Me being who I am couldn't handle the small imperfection and would exchange or return it.

I also have that Staples insurance where I'm covered for 2 years no matter what. And I just go in and they replace the device.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #264 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I also have that Staples insurance where I'm covered for 2 years no matter what. And I just go in and they replace the device.
I know. I read that already in another post. Also, you just got the N7 on Sat.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 01:08 PM   #265 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I also have that Staples insurance where I'm covered for 2 years no matter what. And I just go in and they replace the device.
Well really case and point - you can always get something worse but you can also get something that is perfect!!! Mr. Negative :P
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #266 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 132 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Hey, I'm seeing posts talk about gluing; that sounds like a bad idea guys. I started to notice the screen wasn't responding to my touch. I went to Harbor Freight but a 2,400 piece precision screwdrivers set (maybe an exaggeration on the pieces) for $4 popped it open and found two screws to be loose by half a turn.

If no one else has done it I can pop it back open, measure points and take pictures. But really who am I kidding once the 3G/LTE version is out were all giving our 7's to kids less fortunate than us.
TJGoSurf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #267 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJGoSurf View Post
Hey, I'm seeing posts talk about gluing; that sounds like a bad idea guys. I started to notice the screen wasn't responding to my touch. I went to Harbor Freight but a 2,400 piece precision screwdrivers set (maybe an exaggeration on the pieces) for $4 popped it open and found two screws to be loose by half a turn.

If no one else has done it I can pop it back open, measure points and take pictures. But really who am I kidding once the 3G/LTE version is out were all giving our 7's to kids less fortunate than us.
The last couple of posts here are not actually about putting glue and gluing the display but more so about utalizing the glue that is already there (put by Asus) to keep the display down. All that is necessary is a bunch of clamps and a towel if the claps do not have adjusting pressure and rubber tips. You should not be putting blue on the display it is bad idea (I agree with ya).

As for the LTE version I actually don't care - I have T-mobile and my hotspot is included in the plan so I can get 4g internet anywhere!!!
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM   #268 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 132 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
As for the LTE version I actually don't care - I have T-mobile and my hotspot is included in the plan so I can get 4g internet anywhere!!!
Except North Dakota, South Dakota, and any place outside of city limits.

All in good fun mate. T-Mobile gets some awesome phones but I can't for the life of me understand why CDMA is the majority here when GSM is a better product on paper. I have to use Verizon for work because the middle of no where T-Mobile users get nothing and I have full 3G. I miss my Sensation so much and dislike the Droid Charge.
TJGoSurf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #269 (permalink)
Member
 
William T Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 476
 
Device(s): N10, ME370T, XT875, i515, i535, SM-N900V
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 26
Thanked 132 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Realllllly??? See that's my fear with stuff like this. The replacement can always be worse then the original.
If its bad enough to bother you I would exchange until you are happy with it as long as you are within where you bought its time frame, personally I should not have to settle for defects right out of the box I dont mind a couple months down the road. I've gone through 6 now since 7/14 from Gamestop:

1st C6 - would turn off at 20% "show low low battery logo" even after calibrating bad battery? Had a perfect, flush screen, didn't want to, exchanged

2nd C7 - bad left side screen separation/lift, exchanged

3rd C7 - dust under the screen, 2 spots , exchanged

4th C7 - minor left side screen seperation/lift, just started doing the death at 20% exactly like the first C6 I had for no reason, had it a week and had been charging/decharging fine.

5th C8 - minor left side lift, missing two screws underneath

Now, the 6th C8 I just got today out of the box is perfectly flush no lift like the first C6 I had. Its still charging so I haven't pryed off the back yet to check for missing screws again, but since the screen is fine I can live with it and think this one is the keeper as long as I don't get battery issues again crossing my fingers!! Moral of the story you are paying the money for it brand new you shouldn't have to settle for defects right out of the box there are good ones out there.
__________________
"Executing Sudo Command"
William T Riker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #270 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

I knew it...

1st- Minor Screen lifting (should've kept)
2nd- Worse screen lifting then 1st
3rd - 2 dead pixels

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

Trying one more tomorrow, if any issues I'm getting a refund and just abandoning the whole idea of owning this tablet.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 5th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #271 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Well the staples by my was open until 10 tonight so I decided to just run back there tonight and give it one more shot since I was going to be swamped tomorrow.

This is my 4th device ...Out of the Box it was fine, no screen lift what so ever! Set it up, played with it a little bit, and then stuck it on the charger to reach 100%

That was about 7 hours ago, took it off the charger and finished setting up all my apps and wallpaper and all that, and what do you know? THIS ONE IS STARTING TO LIFT AS WELL IN THE SAME SPOT ON THE LEFT HAND SIDE!!! I mean WTF!

Overall very disappointed at this point, this one also has a scratch around the silver bezel in 2 spots as well, and there seems to be some lag as well while typing on the tablet also. To me this is just terrible quality control on a big scale. I will most likely just bring it back and get a refund and forgot this whole idea of owning this tablet for the mean time. I will probably just monitor these threads the next few weeks and see if these issues start dieing down as newer shipments arrive in stores. What a let down, in essences....ya really do get what ya pay for these days
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #272 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
ChiweN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 888
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (cdma and gsm), Google Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 577 Times in 218 Posts
chiwen5k@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
I knew it...

1st- Minor Screen lifting (should've kept)
2nd- Worse screen lifting then 1st
3rd - 2 dead pixels

Ughhhhhhhhhhhh!

Trying one more tomorrow, if any issues I'm getting a refund and just abandoning the whole idea of owning this tablet.
Is the screen flush? If the only problem is 2 dead pixels, I think that's just nitpicking if you return it. Dead pixels are pretty common with this type of screen.
ChiweN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #273 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiweN View Post
Is the screen flush? If the only problem is 2 dead pixels, I think that's just nitpicking if you return it. Dead pixels are pretty common with this type of screen.

No way...not dealing with either issue...very annoying indeed.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 08:53 AM   #274 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CO
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,409
 
Device(s): GS3, Note 10.1
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 4
Thanked 132 Times in 99 Posts
Default

Customer is always right...
TJGoSurf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:01 AM   #275 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

@sean.... from what you described re: the 4th device it sounds like everything was fine until heat hit it. From all the posts I've read here and other forums there have been a lot of people saying their N7 was fine when they first powered it on but after using it, I'm guessing it's warmed up by now....and bam....the screen starts lifting.

This is just a theory of mine based on reading; nothing concrete but it does seem quite pausible given the number of folks this has happened too.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 09:59 AM   #276 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
@sean.... from what you described re: the 4th device it sounds like everything was fine until heat hit it. From all the posts I've read here and other forums there have been a lot of people saying their N7 was fine when they first powered it on but after using it, I'm guessing it's warmed up by now....and bam....the screen starts lifting.

This is just a theory of mine based on reading; nothing concrete but it does seem quite pausible given the number of folks this has happened too.

Yup...you hit the nail on the head...Also screen is a little yellowish!
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #277 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Yup...you hit the nail on the head...Also screen is a little yellowish!
That yellowish could be from the glue. I remember reading something like this before (forget what device was) and it was stated the glue was causing that color.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:49 AM   #278 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
alextop30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Windy City of Chicago
Gender: Male
Posts: 791
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Thanks: 38
Thanked 123 Times in 104 Posts
Send a message via AIM to alextop30
Default

My screen was down for 2 days and now it is back up to the same place seems that tomorrow I will be calling Google again to try to get another replacement.

I have to say that when I was working for a big company the smallest QC slip was huge problem but it seems Asus can go ahead and make a crappy flagship device for Google and there seems to be no punishment what so ever. What is being done is driving people away who are on the fence between IOS and Android. I do know Apple also has problems with their stuff but they also have stores where you can bring your thing and get it replaced and make sure you get a good item while Google will send you a replacement but it seems they are can send you a worse device than the one you already have.

Just a thought here and by the way I hate Apple so don't think I am trying to bash Google because I am a fan boy or something.
alextop30 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 10:47 AM   #279 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 39
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I'm on my second Nexus 7, which has a C70K SSN btw, and yet again i'm having left bezel screen lift issues. I am 100% sure it is related to some sort of glue, as heating the device up always makes it far spongier than when it is cool. Every time I play a decent game that taxes the GPU, the bottom left corner will get warn, and then it starts. I really don't know how Asus has managed to screw up so many units. Do they even have any QC on anything? Getting perhaps tens of thousands of units shipped back can't be cheap for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
That yellowish could be from the glue. I remember reading something like this before (forget what device was) and it was stated the glue was causing that color.
That was happening to the iPhone 4S right after its initial launch. With time, the tint should have gone away on those devices. Perhaps that is the same issue with the Nexus, as it seems like Asus is also rushing to fill orders, and the tablets are not sitting in a warehouse to "dry".
nnickn is offline  
Last edited by nnickn; September 7th, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #280 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

@nick....Thank you!!! I couldn't remember which device it happened with. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 7th, 2012, 04:30 PM   #281 (permalink)
Member
 
blink182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7, Optimus V (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

DAMMIT! I wouldn't have noticed the slight screen separation if i wouldn't have read this thread.....fml. im gonna keep it for the time being, its not affecting the performance of the machine....yet.
blink182 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 05:15 PM   #282 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink182 View Post
DAMMIT! I wouldn't have noticed the slight screen separation if i wouldn't have read this thread.....fml. im gonna keep it for the time being, its not affecting the performance of the machine....yet.
Even though you're keeping it, I bet you'll start focusing on it more--now that you've noticed it.
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:12 PM   #283 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

My slight screen separation is now buried under my Amzer silicone cover now. Out of sight out of mind!
Voynix is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #284 (permalink)
Member
 
blink182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 120
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7, Optimus V (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandaLeX View Post
Even though you're keeping it, I bet you'll start focusing on it more--now that you've noticed it.
Omg yes. Every time I pick it up >.<

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
blink182 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #285 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
zoxxo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 513
 
Device(s): Current: Samsung GS5, Nexus 7 2013, Nexus 7 2012, HP Touchpad running CM10
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 68
Thanked 70 Times in 60 Posts
Default

Has anyone taken the time to repair their screen separation? I've broken two credit cards trying to get the case off, and I'm afraid I'll ruin the case if stay at it. I've had it for a week, and if I need to take it back, I don't want to have them deny me for a damaged case. I'd take it back, but I got the last one and the store has not had any since my purchase.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
zoxxo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #286 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Mine is in the Asus case and staying in there. Out of sight out of mind.lmaoooo!
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #287 (permalink)
Member
 
William T Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 476
 
Device(s): N10, ME370T, XT875, i515, i535, SM-N900V
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 26
Thanked 132 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnickn View Post
I'm on my second Nexus 7, which has a C70K SSN btw, and yet again i'm having left bezel screen lift issues.
A little off topic, that's actually an "O" after the month digit in the serial, NOT a zero (0).

If you try to register on Asus' VIP site for RMA or warranty, and use a 0 in that place, it will spit back your serial is invalid. I've seen threads created on other sites asking why the site was rejecting their serial, and this is the common reason why. Just some fyi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vip.jpg (515.3 KB, 21 views)
William T Riker is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to William T Riker For This Useful Post:
Xyro (September 12th, 2012)
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:22 AM   #288 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm fairly philosophical about issues like this, after the iPhone antenna and battery debacles, and similar issues with some of the higher priced cameras that are now on the market. QC seems to be on the back burner for a lot of companies. As a consumer, I sort of have to accept that as a given across all electronic lines if I want the latest technology, but the safety net is the repair/warranty process.

And that's what REALLY bothers me about the Nexus 7. My son and I both have these. Mine -- no problem so far. His -- screen separation late afternoon several days ago, followed the next morning (as it cooled?) by a hairline crack across the length of the screen and lack of responsiveness from the screen. It doesn't work.

My son has had his Nexus 7 for just over 30 days. He bought it from Google. He contacted ASUS about warranty repairs and was told the warranty doesn't cover the screen. He told the rep the screen crack was caused by a condition that should be covered by the warranty. The rep said they (ASUS) would be willing to fix it for $170, because the screen is not covered by the warranty. Period.

This is ridiculous. It's bad enough if people have to return their units and get another one due to poor workmanship, but to have an obvious warranty repair denied? Ridiculous.

I really like the Nexus 7, but I've only had mine since Sept. 5th so I'll probably return it in the next week or two. Scr*w Google and ASUS -- the Internet is full of stories like this. I'll probably wait for the iPad Mini (and I am NOT an Apple fan at all).
thl99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM   #289 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 107
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Default Should I return to Google?

I have some very slight screen lift on the left side of the device; it becomes flush with the bezel when I push down on it, but doesn't stay.

Like many of you, it's small enough for me to not worry about right now. However, I am definitely concerned it will only worsen over time (and then be a real problem once warranty is over). I also have some occasional flickering bands pop up--they happen all at once and then don't happen for a few days.

I can't return it to Staples at this point because I've had it for 3.5 weeks and their return policy is 14 days (and I can't seem to find the receipt, which is really annoying since I hold onto a lot of receipts).

Will Google/ASUS replace it? How long does that take, and do I have to pay to ship it to them? (that would be annoying) Can I send it back to Google and request a 16GB instead and pay the difference? (currently have an 8GB)
caspian915 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2012, 02:00 PM   #290 (permalink)
Wasn't Me
 
ScandaLeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: PhiLLy
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,802
 
Device(s): NOTE II
Carrier: The NOW Network

Thanks: 1,159
Thanked 943 Times in 614 Posts
Default

I read a post in which someone said their son's N7 developed the screen lift which then caused a hairline crack for which Google and ASUS said there's nothing they can do because the screen isn't covered under warranty.

I find this absurd considering the screen is essential to the devices operation and it's not covered. That's just crazy!
ScandaLeX is online now  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #291 (permalink)
Member
 
William T Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: East Coast USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 476
 
Device(s): N10, ME370T, XT875, i515, i535, SM-N900V
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 26
Thanked 132 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspian915 View Post
Will Google/ASUS replace it? How long does that take, and do I have to pay to ship it to them? (that would be annoying) Can I send it back to Google and request a 16GB instead and pay the difference? (currently have an 8GB)
You would have to register at vip.asus.com and set up an RMA since you can no longer exchange in store, not sure if they charge to send it in, but I'm almost positive you can't send it to Google for the 16GB.
William T Riker is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 01:50 PM   #292 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
daffyduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hampshire, UK
Posts: 754
 
Device(s): HTC Hero (ret)/Nexus 1 (ret)/Desire HD (ret)/SGSII (ret)/Nexus 7 (RMA in process)/Nexus 4 (Paranoid)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 27
Thanked 42 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Well after reading this thread, I am on my second unit and both have had the screen lift as described. And to be honest, it's not that noticeable but it shouldn't be there in the first place so it's just some design or manufacturing issue.

Can I be bothered to do a fix for it, not really as there is no guarantee it won't make it worse.
So I tolerate it, think it's still a great tablet for the price and once it's in its amazon case, it'll be hidden anyway.
__________________
If I managed to help you, don't forget to thank me
daffyduck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #293 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Kissimmee, Florida
Posts: 384
 
Device(s): POS Fascinate, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy SIII
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 48 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I unscrewed the left side of my screen, lifted it up and put some epoxy on there. Where it down till it cures. No problem since and its been six hours. Normally the lift would be back in a minute.
artman540 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #294 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

OK this is a pretty decent fix...

Get a blowdryer and a microfiber cloth, run the blowdryer on the side of the screen that is lifting, run it mainly on the area that is lifting for no more then say 20 seconds, then squeeze the screen down with one finger on the back of the unit and one on the screen, reason for the cloth is that the screen will be warm and it also adds some cushion while your squeezing down. Repeat this process twice and you should never have screen lifting again in that area. Alot of people are reporting lifting on the left hand side, mostly towards the middle of the screen. That's where my lifting was as well.

Did this on my 8 gig unit and it permantly fixed the issue.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #295 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Belgium
Gender: Male
Posts: 968
 
Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Thanks: 40
Thanked 93 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
OK this is a pretty decent fix...

Get a blowdryer and a microfiber cloth, run the blowdryer on the side of the screen that is lifting, run it mainly on the area that is lifting for no more then say 20 seconds, then squeeze the screen down with one finger on the back of the unit and one on the screen, reason for the cloth is that the screen will be warm and it also adds some cushion while your squeezing down. Repeat this process twice and you should never have screen lifting again in that area. Alot of people are reporting lifting on the left hand side, mostly towards the middle of the screen. That's where my lifting was as well.

Did this on my 8 gig unit and it permantly fixed the issue.
And how long has this "permanent" fix held up so far? I hadn't read about this fix but I used it 2 days ago, I'm no stranger to the blow dryer technique. But it gradually came back, it's now just as bad as it was before.
Teknologic is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:35 AM   #296 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
ChiweN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 888
 
Device(s): Galaxy S3 (cdma and gsm), Google Nexus 7, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 60
Thanked 577 Times in 218 Posts
chiwen5k@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
And how long has this "permanent" fix held up so far? I hadn't read about this fix but I used it 2 days ago, I'm no stranger to the blow dryer technique. But it gradually came back, it's now just as bad as it was before.
A few posts back I posted telling everyone how I fixed mine with the blow dryer technique, using clamps over night.

It held for almost a month but when I was using it yesterday I noticed that it's starting to raise again.

I'm not gonna try to fix it this time. Sending it back to Google,
ChiweN is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #297 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
sean76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 4,459
 
Device(s): one M8, nexus 5, iphone 5s
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 110
Thanked 792 Times in 537 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
And how long has this "permanent" fix held up so far? I hadn't read about this fix but I used it 2 days ago, I'm no stranger to the blow dryer technique. But it gradually came back, it's now just as bad as it was before.

Mine was perfect for roughly 2 weeks. Just returned it the other day for a 16 gig and this one had no screen separation out of the box.
sean76 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #298 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 581
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 55 Times in 51 Posts
Default

got mine at Staples on july 30th No problem Still like new!
Skyroket is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2012, 05:24 PM   #299 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Something I've noticed with my device. When I push the screen in the place it should be, I get a crazy amount of backlight bleeding. The screen turns nearly white near the left bezel. The screen is at its best when I just leave it seperated from the casing itself.

When I hold the device with my left hand (which I will always be doing, since I type with my right hand) I really push down the screen and reveal the backlight bleeding.

Kinda sucks, because other than that it's perfect. Don't want to send it back .
ksborg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2012, 06:19 PM   #300 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I just bought this tablet from Walmart. As I was reading an e-book one night I thought I noticed something different on the left side of the tablet edge in the middle. It seemed as though the glass was loose from the edge. Thought it was my imagination. Guess not
Another issue that has cropped up is now it takes a good 10-15secs of holding down the power button for the boot screen to come on. It used yo be hold down about 4 sec release and boot screen. It was suggested by someone from Asus to hold down power and down volume buttons until screen comes up with tiny writing and to let the device turn itself on. Only thing is it never turns on. The battery just heats up. Going to have to make a decision fast about whether to exchange since Walmart has a 15 day return policy for electronics. Any ideas about the software glitch? Glad I'm not alone with the screen problem.
tabloidtrisha is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
nexus 7, nexus 7 screen, nexus7, screen, separation


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.