Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Jelly Bean newb questions

A few probably basic questions regarding Android 4.1 on a Nexus 7 tablet.

1) the automated Google account backup system: as I am aware this saves some data, settings and apps to my Google account. Does this in fact save the set up of my home screen, i.e. the position of all the icons, widgets etc., and the special settings of each app? If not, is there a better backup system and if yes, does that require rooting to do it?

2) there is a "Downloads" icon but it does not show files I actually have in my Downloads folder - I can see them with my file manager. What gives?

3) not a single app has a shut-down option (other than from the settings "Force Close"), so I now have numerous apps open and checking the memory I still have some 300MB free (of 1GB). I assume that Android manages the memory by removing RAM chunks that are not being used by apps that were opened first? Does one ever really need to worry about the RAM issue?

thanks for your time and attention...

Larry

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old July 27th, 2012, 10:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Device(s): Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013), Note II, S3

Thanked 16,918 Times in 9,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagagnon View Post
A few probably basic questions regarding Android 4.1 on a Nexus 7 tablet.

1) the automated Google account backup system: as I am aware this saves some data, settings and apps to my Google account. Does this in fact save the set up of my home screen, i.e. the position of all the icons, widgets etc., and the special settings of each app? If not, is there a better backup system and if yes, does that require rooting to do it?
Welcome to Android Forums lgagnon
It will not back up app settings or screen setups. There is an app that does this and does not require root. I'll get back to you on that.
Quote:
2) there is a "Downloads" icon but it does not show files I actually have in my Downloads folder - I can see them with my file manager. What gives?
Yes, that's annoying. I use ES File Explorer to make my way around the phone.
Quote:
3) not a single app has a shut-down option (other than from the settings "Force Close"), so I now have numerous apps open and checking the memory I still have some 300MB free (of 1GB). I assume that Android manages the memory by removing RAM chunks that are not being used by apps that were opened first? Does one ever really need to worry about the RAM issue?

thanks for your time and attention...

Larry
Don't worry about memory. Android is optimized to run at near capacity for responsiveness and battery life. The more you use it, the better it will get at loading the apps you frequently use into cache memory. Don't worry, the apps that are cached are not using resources the apps you are using need. If they are, Android will close them down in a way not harmful to the system or the app.

Finally, I am going to move this over to the N7 forum so other device owners like myself can add on to the answers I gave.

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Old July 27th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus,HTC Desire

Hey lagagnon, concerning your homescreen backup question: if you use a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex they each have a built-in backup function. Not an answer if you're using the stock launcher, but it would get the job done plus give you a bunch of additional features and improvements over stock.

A more comprehensive backup solution would be to root and use Titanium Backup as you could then backup all user apps plus data and settings.
Old July 27th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

3) android manages it, but if you do want to shut apps press the software button on the right, this will bring up a list of apps currently running, swipe them left or right to close them.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)