Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default What am I missing? How to download a movie?

I feel a little dense here.

I have a new Nexus 7 tablet. ( I love it) It is my first tablet.

When I use the Netflix app or the Google Play store app for movies it appears I am streaming these movies live from the web.

I can't figure out how to download the movie to my device so that I can watch off network.

Help ...please?

sponsored links
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X (AT&T), Google Nexus 7, iPad 2, Asus T100TA Windows 8.1

In the play store there is a little thumb tack looking deal on the main picture of the movie.... that should save it to the device. Not sure about NetFlix (Pretty sure you can only stream).
Old July 30th, 2012, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
~Play Nice~

Device(s): Note II, S3, Moto X Developer Edition, Nexus 7 (2012 & 2013)

Thanked 14,246 Times in 7,814 Posts

For the play store movies, there is a thumb tack in the bottom right hand corner to download the movies. I don't think Netflix allows you to download, but I will verify when I get home.

Join the fun and make some friends, register for free here.
If someone helped, hit Thanks, if you see rude or abusive posts, spam, or threads that need staff attention, hit Report.
Site Rules / Android Forums FAQ
*** Do you want to talk guns? ***

Old July 30th, 2012, 12:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (32GB LTE), Nexus 7 (16GB), Motorola XOOM (LTE), HTC Incredible (Retired-Media Player)

In the play movies look for the settings button and click on "On Device" or "Make available offline" or something of the sort, then you can pin down the movies you want on the device. Keep in mind that rented movies will automatically get removed from your device storage once viewed or after 30 days. Purchased movies, I presume, will remain on the device until you clear the cache or unpin them. I haven't actually purchased any movies so I don't know.

Netflix is a stream-only service. I don't believe you can make content available offline.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7, Vizio Co-Star

Netflix has never allowed downloading for offline use. Not that they wouldn't do it but it's safe to assume that it's a big part of the licensing contracts they sign with the content owners. Probably a DRM issue.

I've never looked to see if there are apps or programs that can save a netfix stream on disc.
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Send a message via AIM to alextop30

Pretty sure Netflix does not allow offline viewing which I think it is stupid because the Internet on the go is not very stable especially not nearly enough to support a stream of video. I would love to see a cash feature where you still have to use their client but the app would cash video off wifi and allow you to view it offline!
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by alextop30 View Post
Pretty sure Netflix does not allow offline viewing which I think it is stupid because the Internet on the go is not very stable especially not nearly enough to support a stream of video. I would love to see a cash feature where you still have to use their client but the app would cash video off wifi and allow you to view it offline!

Netflix is cheap because it doesn't allow for the possibility of downloading content and keeps you coming back with the monthly fees...
Last edited by scary alien; July 30th, 2012 at 01:00 PM. Reason: auto-correct likely responsible for cache/cash reference
Old July 30th, 2012, 12:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile) (rooted stock), Samsung Galaxy S 2 (T-Mobile) (retired), HP Touchpad (R
Carrier: T-Mobile (2gig data plan)

Send a message via AIM to alextop30

Quote:
Originally Posted by idic View Post
The word is 'cache' not 'cash'...although you'd probably need plenty of cash to download stuff this way - Netflix is cheap because it doesn't allow for the possibility of downloading content and keeps you coming back with the monthly fees...
Right on I am typing this from the train on my Nexus 7 and some of the words are not welcomed. Yes what I meant to say is to cache The video in the app. I would not think there would be much a problem since YouTube app can do that with your subscriptions. It will also be encrypted so you cannot simply get the video and put it on the hard drive of your computer and open the door for piracy. I don't know I just think we kind of develop nice things that are a little ahead of their time because the mobile Internet is simply not completely up to par just yet.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)