Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Like Tree13Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 9th, 2012, 12:44 PM   #51 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969bob View Post
Hello Users: I just sold my android tablet and was thinking to buy

a NEXUS 7 BUT with all the problems of the battery should I ??

BUT with all of you users around I have support no?

If you all had to do over would it be NEXUS 7?

Bob
There's really no problem with the battery, what you read here is a built-in safety in many android devices to prevent battery damage. There's thousands of people who run down their nexus 7 completely every day, but only a few dozen post here about their nexus 'going to sleep'.
It's not an issue, it's a safety feature.

Most people are very satisfied with their N7, forums just tend to collect a lot of people, troubleshooting some issues.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:03 AM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Teknologic, and others,

Thanks you for your comments and assistance.
I tried all the recovery and reboot actions suggested on my original Nexus 7 - but could not resolve the start-up and charging issue.
Contacted the supplier here in UK (Tesco Direct) on Monday (8 Oct) - and after trying a couple of suggested resets they agreed to replace immediatel - with delivery 'next day'.
Sure enough the new one arrived yeaterday (Tues 9 Oct) - no problems, and the faulty one was taken away.
Glad to say the new one is behaving itself and all items I had previously bought were there waiting for me when I had completed the set-up.

Yes - frustrating to have the initial Nexus 7 'die' on me - but big credit to Tesco Direct for very prompt resolution and replacement within 24 hours.
They get a lot of criticism at times but this is excellent service which should be acknowledged.

All OK now and enjoying the Nexus 7 very much.

John
The Following User Says Thank You to lancsman For This Useful Post:
Teknologic (October 10th, 2012)
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:54 PM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s): Hyperdriven VZW Dev Edition GS4, Sourcerized Nexus 7

Default Wow! deja vu?

I felt like I was in an alternate reality today reading this thread. I have a Samsung Galaxy 7.0 plus. The exact thing described in this thread has happened to it twice after the ICS update. Was going to return it to Samsung for repair, but plugged in the original power cable that came with it into the wall charger and left it overnight. Next morning I pressed the power button and the charging animation came on. Wheeeww! (This does not work with the extra power / data cable I purchased even though that one charges normally in every instance but this. ) Booted up and put back on charger-all OK except no Google connection and Date showed Jan 1 2000. Manually set date and time, and suddenly it connected and synced to Google. So this is not just an Asus thing. I will not hesitate to get a N7 as soon as the 32GB version is available.
Old October 10th, 2012, 10:08 PM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox07 View Post
This happened to me. Completely dead, would not turn on or show up on USB on my laptop. I fixed by holding the power for a long time at least 30 seconds. Eventually it come on and was charged to 44%. Just make sure to hold the power for as long as it takes. So glad thought it was done and I had to deal with shipping back. Hope this helps.
Thanks for that idea! Mine was totally dead so held the power button as you said for about 30 seconds and then "Google"! Now it's charging.

Thanks again!
Old October 14th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s):

My kid was playing some game on N7 when it died. I thought it discharged completely so I connected to the wall charger (the original one) and it started charging showing the white battery sign. After about an hour when I looked at it, the screen was on and there were some weird horizontal colored dotted lines moving on it. AND IT WAS HOT ON THE BOTTOM LEFT SIDE. I disconnected it from the wall charger and tried to turn it off and back on. After some effort, it turned on and I got surprised to notice that the battery was at 0%. I wasn't even completely surprised yet when it turned off again showing a glimpse of those same colored horizontal dotted lines. It's been almost 12 hours since then but I haven't been able to turn it back on.*
I held the power button...........for two minutes even. I kept it connected to the wall charger over night. I connected it to PC USB for several hours. I even prayed for it* but all in vain.
Any suggestion or at least a diagnosis? And yeah in my country, Google products are not covered, so I won't be able to claim a replacement.
Last edited by Needachange; October 15th, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Old October 15th, 2012, 03:05 AM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s):

And it started working again.......thank God!
Here is what I did:
Removed the back cover. Did it with my finger nail. I was looking for some place to insert my nail in and the cover actually popped out a bit. Form there onward, it was a piece of cake.
Disconnected the battery (checked ifixit website for that).
Reconnected it.
Pushed the power button and it turned on.
Battery is at 100% coz it remained on charge overnight.
So that was all about resetting the battery.

Thanks a million to everyone who helped.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Needachange For This Useful Post:
newapollo (December 11th, 2012), newnexus7 (November 23rd, 2012)
Old October 17th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s):

THANK YOU Folks!!! My Nexus appeared to 'die' late yesterday evening - google search bought me here!! Plugged it into the charger & holding in the power button for longer than expected worked a treat = simples!!! Soon charged up!
Old October 19th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thank goodness I found this forum! Holding the power button for 30 seconds brought back my Nexus although when it came back, it said that it was fully charged. I hadn't used it while charging but I did turn it off after I had connected it to the charger. I'll try turning the Nexus off before connecting the USB cable in the future. I'm so glad that I don't have to return it. I've only had it for three days.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:15 PM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s):

Smile nexus tablet not charging

I was getting intermittent charging issues with my 7 and finally fixed it with a Lil shot of compressed air to the charging port...

Sometimes ya just have to check the basics...

Kent
Old October 30th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #60 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thumbs down Nexus 7 Charger and Microphone

Hi,
I got my nexus on the 9/9/2012 and on the 28/10, I noticed that my Nexus doesn't charge properly, a loose connection said the Google person who will send me a replacement.
Also, my Nexus 7 Mic doesn't work. I found that today (30/10.)

Does anybody have help for either of these issues?
Thanks,
John
sponsored links
Old November 1st, 2012, 04:30 PM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default similiar

I have a similar issue on my nexus 7 ,I broke its screen and went to fix it , after a week I got it back and its battery was like 1%. Went home and plugged it in the charger ... nothing happened ... tried to go to the boot loader ... the volume buttons didn't work ... and while it was plugged in it did not show any indication of being charged ... I left it for a while and it was 4% DISCHARGING ... and it kept rising till 100% .. and still shows discharging , I tried reflashing the stock again but still doesn't show me that its charging.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 06:33 AM   #62 (permalink)

Device(s): HP TouchPad, HTC One Max, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,413 Posts

Quote:

Bob
No issues here at all. Those with battery issues are in the minority.
Old November 4th, 2012, 02:36 AM   #63 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi guys, first post here to thank you about the problem I had. As I see many people here had the same when drain the battery full..

I solved it by pressing the power button for about 25 sec and after then charging -not with stoch charger/cable.

My question is: To avoid this problem again what it the solution? Ok.. the easy answer is "do not drain the battery" but I mean until how much % is it safe to use without charging? And something else, same important: can I use my nexus 7 while charging?

Thank you...
Old November 4th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #64 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
This happened to me. Completely dead, would not turn on or show up on USB on my laptop. I fixed by holding the power for a long time at least 30 seconds. Eventually it come on and was charged to 44%. Just make sure to hold the power for as long as it takes. So glad thought it was done and I had to deal with shipping back. Hope this helps.
this happened to me too. thank you so much for this tip, really really helps, considering i bought my tablet OUTSIDE my country and it only had local warranty. :O
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:27 AM   #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eftaxias View Post
Hi guys, first post here to thank you about the problem I had. As I see many people here had the same when drain the battery full..

I solved it by pressing the power button for about 25 sec and after then charging -not with stoch charger/cable.

My question is: To avoid this problem again what it the solution? Ok.. the easy answer is "do not drain the battery" but I mean until how much % is it safe to use without charging? And something else, same important: can I use my nexus 7 while charging?

Thank you...
You can use it just fine while charging, should be no problem. As for a 'safe %' there really is no way to tell. It depends from battery to battery. I've seen mine go to 3% and I've never seen this issue. Perhaps after enough charge cycles your battery calibration will have improved. But it's always safe to just try and get it plugged in around 20%
Draining it too low isn't good for its health anyway.
Old November 4th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #66 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thank you very much Teknologic!
As I usualy use my tablet at home, it is easy for me to charge it whenever it is better for the battery.

One last question: Can I charge it also at any level of battery, without taking risk for the health of the battery? For example: The battery lever is at 60% and for some reason I want it full for tomorrow. It is better to use it until 20% and charge it or there is no problem to charge it at 60%?

Thanks a lot, really helpful people here
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #67 (permalink)

Shouldn't be a problem at all, unlike the old batteries, these ones take very well to top-ups. It is said tho, that these types of batteries perform best between 20-80%
But there's a whole bunch of protection hardwired into them that takes care of things without the need for you to worry about it. I believe it slows charging upwards of 90% and very slowly approaches the relative 100%
The only way you could slightly mess with it was if you'd be fully charging it and then unplugging, plugging back in, turning it on and off all at around 100. That might skew the calibration some, but still not worrisome.
Old November 4th, 2012, 10:36 AM   #68 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknologic View Post
Shouldn't be a problem at all, unlike the old batteries, these ones take very well to top-ups. It is said tho, that these types of batteries perform best between 20-80%
But there's a whole bunch of protection hardwired into them that takes care of things without the need for you to worry about it. I believe it slows charging upwards of 90% and very slowly approaches the relative 100%
The only way you could slightly mess with it was if you'd be fully charging it and then unplugging, plugging back in, turning it on and off all at around 100. That might skew the calibration some, but still not worrisome.
Thank you again friend! Really helped me, because after my problem I was stressed!

But, to be honest, I did not like that after draining my battery I faced this problem! Because charging the battery for 8 hours and have an 6% level... yes its a problem! Trying to use the device with 2% and charging and however it closes... its a problem also! It is very annoying, after draining the battery (for any reason) that you have to Restart it (by pressing the power button 30 seconds) to have a good use after.......

Do you others use only OEM charger or charge with other chargers (always 2A and 5.0 V usb) and other USB cables? I charge with the OEM charger but with another, simple usb cable from eBay.. Will I have any problem?
Old November 7th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #69 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Low Batter Crash

Hey guys

Twice this has happened with me, I was using my Nexus 7 with red battery on it. Both times I was browsing the web with chrome when my tablets display suddenly went out. After few seconds I plugged it to the charger and it would open with while dotted lines all over the screen. The moment I disconnect the charger the display goes out. 3rd time when I plug in the charger and turn on my Nexus, the battery sign comes and its charging again.

First time this happened, I charged it fully and for almost 2 weeks it run with perfection until today it happened for the second time. It charging right now, will update you guys if its totally dead or not.

Anyone knows a fix or can actually diagnose the problem?
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #70 (permalink)

Device(s): HP TouchPad, HTC One Max, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,820 Times in 1,413 Posts

Sounds like a hardware problem. I've never seen that.

Most people that get a corrupt display, end up replacing it under warranty.
sponsored links
Old November 8th, 2012, 04:29 PM   #71 (permalink)

Device(s): Hyperdriven VZW Dev Edition GS4, Sourcerized Nexus 7

Probably not related to the same problem but Last night my 32 Gb N7 went dead also. Don't know what happened. I turned off the screen and attached the device to the new Minisuit keyboard / cover I had just purchased. This morning it was dead. No magnets in the cover--oh, wait--I laid the unit down on top of the Moko swivel case it had been in. That case has a magnet--maybe it kept the screen on all night? Woke up OK after I charged it. I'll try putting it into keyboard again tonight and put it on the dresser so I'm sure it's away from any magnets.
Old November 8th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s):

Update: I charged my Nexus 7 to max battery and it is all good again. No issues reported... Plus it does not happen everytime the battery is low, only twice, sounds something weird, i am currently in Pakistan where as I got it from US Play Store so warranty is a tough thing for me. Asus has no service centre here
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:12 PM   #73 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Nexus 7 Tablet not charging

I have bought my Tablet in September 4th for my birthday. Few days ago now it won't charge. The cord could not stay in the tablet.
Old November 11th, 2012, 02:00 AM   #74 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
It certainly helped me, thanks Shoebox.

Steve.
Old November 23rd, 2012, 05:57 AM   #75 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks a Zillion......Brought a new Nexus7 32 GB today..When i switched it on, the battery was showing a warning.. i plugged in the charger and the icon shows a flash symbol implying it is charging but the charge stays at 0% no matter how long i charge it....if i remove the charger the battery warning sign re-appears and i don't know if there is any charging left in the battery at all nd it switched off a couple of times...... after trying to charge with different USB cables including the stock charger..nothing worked...shows up as charging when plugged in..batter stays at 0% (in the settings it actually says not able to determine the battery's current staus !) as a last resort followed your advice...opened the back cover with my nail and disonnected and reconnected the battery cable (the cable was not properly/fully into the leads inside..i guess that was what the original problem was)..restarted the tab...now it shows 100% battery ..solved the problem 100%. Saved me from the hassle of returning it back and waiting for the new one !
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:00 AM   #76 (permalink)

Device(s):

After two total-drains of my battery, when I faced the same problem, I now charge the battery when it is at level 15-20%, never lower.

This way, tha tablet works perfect! So: do not let the battery drain fot 100%
Old November 23rd, 2012, 06:09 AM   #77 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needachange View Post
Here is what I did:
Removed the back cover. Did it with my finger nail. I was looking for some place to insert my nail in and the cover actually popped out a bit. Form there onward, it was a piece of cake.
Reconnected it.

Thanks a Zillion......Brought a new Nexus7 32 GB today..When i switched it on, the battery was showing a warning.. i plugged in the charger and the icon shows a flash symbol implying it is charging but the charge stays at 0% no matter how long i charge it....if i remove the charger the battery warning sign re-appears and i don't know if there is any charging left in the battery at all nd it switched off a couple of times...... after trying to charge with different USB cables including the stock charger..nothing worked...shows up as charging when plugged in..batter stays at 0% (in the settings it actually says not able to determine the battery's current staus !) as a last resort followed your advice...opened the back cover with my nail and disonnected and reconnected the battery cable (the cable was not properly/fully into the leads inside..i guess that was what the original problem was)..restarted the tab...now it shows 100% battery ..solved the problem 100%. Saved me from the hassle of returning it back and waiting for the new one !
Old November 27th, 2012, 05:38 PM   #78 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default N7 not charging!!!

Thanks to this forum, the 30 sec push to the power button worked while it is connected to the charging unit At least I know I am not the only one experiencing this horrible experience. I just had the N7 for two days and then it went dead.
Old November 27th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #79 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 7 2013
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

I also had this problem, I ended up returning it. I returned my first 32GB Nexus 7 due to charging issues and a weird circle on/under the screen and exchanged it for another one. And while browsing these forums, I got a 14% battery left notification, literally 2 minutes later it just switched off. Plugged it in and two hours later I turned it back on and was only at 6%, then told me to connect charger before powering off again with a weird fuzzy display. Took several hours to charge in the end then I let it drain again. It didn't perform exactly the same but, when plugged in, it kept turning itself on and saying charging 1% then would say connect charger. In contrast, my partner let hers run down to see if she had an issue and once it turned itself off, plugged it in and it showed the battery charging indicator on screen and within about 45 minutes, it was up to 38%.
Old December 1st, 2012, 10:46 PM   #80 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Nailed it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newnexus7 View Post
Something told me it HAD to be the battery connector, but, having had my Nexus 7 16 GB for only a few days, I'm thinking "What if they can see that I messed with the cover? My warranty is finished!"

Finally curiosity and the overwhelming desire for this nightmare to be over (I tried everything else you guys suggested), I went for it...I tried a few places, but found the cover to come off easily when I stuck my fingernail in at the middle of the right side (with the display facing me). There it is... a big, flat, black slab that seems to take up most of the inside left side of the unit. Towards the right top, there was a bunch of short red and white cables going into a connector. I barely touched them and they disconnected from the terminal they were supposedly attached to. I reconnected them and gave a gentle shove for good measure. When I felt that the connector was seated, I realized that this HAD to have been the problem.

As I was snapping the back cover back on, I saw that the "Google" logo had already appeared on the display without my pressing the power button. Seconds later the N7 was completely booted without a power warning in sight. In fact, upon checking the battery status, I found that I had a 96% charge.

I strongly suggest that, if you can boot up with the stock charger but can't get past 0% after staying connected to power for several hours, and you've tried everything else, take heart and check the battery connector. Be sure it's firmly in place. The cover comes off easily with a fingernail (don't risk using anything else that might leave a sign of tampering). Of course, there's a risk that, if the battery isn't the problem and you have to send the unit back for replacement some tech will find out that you took the back off, but if you love your N7 like I do and can't bear to think of letting someone else put their grimy mitts all over it, I encourage you to take the chance. At least it was worth it in my case.
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 12:22 PM   #81 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 32gb, LG, u83350

I have had a similar problem which included the N7 going flat refusing to start up and when charger was plugged in. It started to loop turning on, getting so far and shutting itself down. The loop got shorter and shorter every time. I was worried until I decided to go to boot loader (volume + volume - and power button all pressed together) I simply left the tablet plugged in on the boot screen and gave it an hour or so to build up a little charge. Then shutdown and left for another half hour on charge. Powered up and voila. 11% and charging. Hope this may help someone someday. Cheers G.
Old December 14th, 2012, 01:32 PM   #82 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Nexus 7 Won't Charge. Battery cable disconnected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needachange View Post
Here is what I did:
Reconnected it.

You rule! Sure enough the battery cable was loose.

Just got my Nexus 7 a couple days ago. It would not power on. I was able to power it on using the USB cable and it showed charging 0% I tried everything to charge it and it continued to stay at 0%.
When I first opened the back I noticed that the battery was not straight in its compartment. After I pushed the battery cable in to the connector the battery sat square. Powered on. Battery at 34%. Charged for an hour now at 80%

Thanks a million to everyone who helped
Old December 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM   #83 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just wanted to say many thanks to all the contributors on this thread. I was almost out of the front door on my way back to the shop when I thought 'let me check on the news groups'. Glad I did. I now don't have to change all my passwords to email accounts, ebay etc etc. Although Tesco was willing to refund or replace, I wasn't willing to hand over my life.
Thanks everyone, the 30 second power button push worked a treat.
El Presidente likes this.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #84 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm so glad, I found this thread because I appear to be having the same issue. The battery had obviously drained, and plugged in the screen was 'speckling' (a bit like TV static actually). I managed to get it turned on, but it immediately told me to connect my charger, turned itself off and it went back to static. I tried a few times, different chargers and now it's plugged into my computer.

I've left it for a bit and turned it back on (30 secs), where it started to receive emails and tried to update some apps. The battery was at 7%, but once again it told me to connect my charger and turned itself off.

Is this normal? Should I just let it charge for a few hours before I start messing with it again? I got it in October, so it's still under its warranty, but I didn't buy Curry's 'Whatever Happens' insurance, will they still sort it if I have to take it in?
Old December 21st, 2012, 11:48 AM   #85 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC DNA Nexus 7 Sony Google TV Samsung Fascinate

Thank you everyone! I was about throw in the towel and return the beast but the long power button press worked like a charm! I timed it...22 secs.
Old December 22nd, 2012, 04:43 AM   #86 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajstring24 View Post
I'm so glad, I found this thread because I appear to be having the same issue. The battery had obviously drained, and plugged in the screen was 'speckling' (a bit like TV static actually). I managed to get it turned on, but it immediately told me to connect my charger, turned itself off and it went back to static. I tried a few times, different chargers and now it's plugged into my computer.

I've left it for a bit and turned it back on (30 secs), where it started to receive emails and tried to update some apps. The battery was at 7%, but once again it told me to connect my charger and turned itself off.

Is this normal? Should I just let it charge for a few hours before I start messing with it again? I got it in October, so it's still under its warranty, but I didn't buy Curry's 'Whatever Happens' insurance, will they still sort it if I have to take it in?
Oh my god, left it on charge overnight and it reached 11%, came back to it yesterday afternoon and it had fully charged. No problems, no static screen, no turning off - phew!!

Thank you all so much, I'm really glad I found this thread as I would have been straight down to Currys!
Old December 22nd, 2012, 03:48 PM   #87 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Yeahhh, this 30 seconds rule worked for mine too!!!i was really disappointed and ready to return it back to the store!!!Thank you!!
Old December 24th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #88 (permalink)

Device(s):

My newly purchased nexus 7 battery has been drained. Now it is not booting up using battery power. it is only booting up while it is connected to the charger with full functionality. As I remove the charger it powers off instantly as the battery is not charging.

When it is booted using power cord, it shows 0% charge, and also shows: connect the charger.

Would you please advise how to solove the issue??? Thanks a lot...
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:06 AM   #89 (permalink)

Device(s):

Mine is dead. Had it for a month and a half then tried to turn it on one day and the screen went haywire (like an old television with no signal) I then rebooted it (or tried) and got the boot screen then it went off. Tried every trick in the book from Google searches and it won't even blink or get to a boot screen.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:33 PM   #90 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Dell Latitude 10 (Win8)
Carrier: Sprint

You should always use the charger that came with the Nexus and use AC power, especially if the battery is low. I don't understand why people insist on charging via USB. It's slow and the tablet wasn't really meant to be charged that way, that's why it comes with an AC charger.

Also, don't ever let the battery drain to the point that it shuts off. When it warns you the battery is low and tells you to connect the charger, connect it. I personally don't let any of my devices get below 15% and I've had zero battery/charging problems.
kajstring24 and El Presidente like this.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Dell Latitude 10 (Windows 8)
Last edited by GirlFriday; December 29th, 2012 at 07:39 PM.
sponsored links
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:37 PM   #91 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Dell Latitude 10 (Win8)
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andie33 View Post
I have bought my Tablet in September 4th for my birthday. Few days ago now it won't charge. The cord could not stay in the tablet.
Sounds like you broke your charging port due to rough handling. The cord should never be yanked out of the device and care should be used when using the device while charging so no pressure is put on the port or cord.
Old December 29th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #92 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just something I noticed. If I charge from any wall socket, it takes a long time to charge. If I plug the charger into my APS it charges very fast.
Old January 5th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #93 (permalink)

Device(s):

Had Nexus 7 3G for only 1.5 weeks when the battery issue started. I tried all the tricks with holding down the buttons, etc..

I finally opened up the case with my finger nails..and sure enough, the battery connector was loose! I pushed it back in and viola! it works!
Old January 5th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #94 (permalink)

Device(s): AT&T Galaxy Note 3 AT&T Galaxy S4 Nexus 7 (2012)

Cool

Quote:

Bob
Yes. Enthusiastically. At this price, with this screen, the speed and how well it's fit into my life. Yes - I would buy it again. No hesitation.
Old January 6th, 2013, 06:36 PM   #95 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 plus, Samsung GT-S5830T (Rooted), Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Telstra

Also having this issue. When I plug it in I get a really high pitched buzzing noise and it won't turn on for 1-2 minutes and then it just shuts back off again. When I disconnect the charger it just gets more high pitched until it eventually stops.

I've heard this noise before from a broken phone charger so I hope it's not a resistor or something inside the device playing up.

Every minute or so it randomly boots without me even pressing any buttons and then when it gets to the lock screen it powers off again telling me to connect my charger when it is in fact connected.

When I plug it into my computer via USB it is not detected in Devices and Printers but it still boots randomly. I can't access the memory of the device.

I've tried charging over night and booting into bootloader but none of it will work and I even pulled the back of the device off and re-connected the battery cable as someone on XDA mentioned.

I would send it back but it's rooted and the bootloader is unlocked so I have a feeling that they wouldn't help me at all?

EDIT: Finally got it into the bootloader and selected 'power off device' and now it's just hanging. The tablet is frozen and it has been for at least 5 minutes now.

Anyone who bought from google play, how did you return the device?

EDIT2: Managed to un-hang the device. I then used Wugs toolkit to flash stock and unroot and it failed. Now I'm bootlooped. Hopefully this boot looping will end because there was a note after the script that it may bootloop for 5-10 minutes. Still hanging at 'power off' option when selected from bootloader.

EDIT3: Flashed back to 4.1 and it worked finally. I rebooted and it seemed to hang on the coloured 'X' but after about a minute it proceeded to setup! I setup my tablet, connected to wifi and then signed into my google account. Everything was perfect! I could see the light at the end of the tunnel! Then bang it's dead.

Just got it booted again and now it's actually working and I can use it but it's not charging. It's sitting on 0% battery and I feel like it's about to die again. Oh wait, just did.
Last edited by sleezecheeze; January 6th, 2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 09:06 PM   #96 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 plus, Samsung GT-S5830T (Rooted), Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Telstra

Can boot now but won't charge on 4.1 I'm beginning to think that this is a hardware issue. Previously I thought it was to do with the 4.2 update as it was really un-heard of before it.

I've already checked the battery plug so I might even have a defective battery.

EDIT:

SItrep number 5 I think it is now. Managed to get the device booted up and I locked the screen straight away to prevent it running out of power again. After 2 hours of having the screen locked I expected to hit the power button with no reaction but long behold it was still on! And it had charged to %20! It's going to take a long time to get it charged up fully but hopefully after wards it should be rectified.

Does anyone have a solution for trickle charging from an AC outlet? That's what mine is doing now and I'm using the stock charger and the stock USB cable. I'm not going to fiddle right now seeing as I'm getting somewhere but I'm interested as to why it is doing it.

Thanks guys. I have to extend a special thanks to Wugs Toolkit. You saved my ass again!
Last edited by sleezecheeze; January 6th, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old January 8th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #97 (permalink)

Device(s):

I signed up to say thank you for this thread. Specifically to the posters who opened the case and found the battery cable loose. My cable was not inserted. It was just sitting on top of the connector.

I got the device yesterday, plugged it in to charge and it still showed 0% this morning.

In addition to the screen flickering, random static and failure to power on sometimes, I also observed the following when it powered on:
  1. The battery status under settings was listed as "unknown"
  2. The welcome screen said "connect to charger" even when the device was plugged in.

Thanks everyone!
Old January 8th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #98 (permalink)

Device(s):

I would like to thank the person who suggested removing the back. My pad was dead and only 8 days old. I tried removing the back and found my pwr socket not in properly... however I managed to break off the wifi antenna connector whilst trying to get the pwr plug in properly... as you can imagine im not a happy bunny. the pad is going back and hopefully i can get a refund. Samsung here I come
Old January 8th, 2013, 12:43 PM   #99 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey772 View Post
I would like to thank the person who suggested removing the back. My pad was dead and only 8 days old. I tried removing the back and found my pwr socket not in properly... however I managed to break off the wifi antenna connector whilst trying to get the pwr plug in properly... as you can imagine im not a happy bunny. the pad is going back and hopefully i can get a refund. Samsung here I come
If you're not adept to fixing tech stuff then why didn't you take it back in the first place, instead of tinkering with the internals. If it was 8 days old you probably would've just gotten a new one. Now you broke the hardware, your chances of getting that refund aren't great
sleezecheeze likes this.
Old January 8th, 2013, 04:25 PM   #100 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus7

So isn't it about a time this thread became a sticky?

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)