Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree13Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:28 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus7
Carrier: Not Provided

Unhappy Nexus 7 Dead.....won't charge! :-(

So posted my first post on here yesterday.

Got home and was playing a bit of Dead Trigger, noticed battery low so stopped playing and was just checking some email when the battery finally died and unit powered down.

No problem just plug it in to charge......nope wont charge. Left t for several hours and no charge and wont switch on. Did you check it was plugged in i hear you say! Yes is the answer. I plugged into a different socket, switched cables, even tried with my phone charger which is rated simillar, no joy.

Real shame as i was loving it. Unless anyone has any ideas I will be returning it tonight to my local Currys/PCWorld store?

D.

sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:38 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus7, KindleFire, Xtab7, Archos43

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

First of ALL you should never run the battery all the way down!
Second, try plugging into a different USB power source like a PC to see if is drawing power, if you check the usb device in the device manager you can see how much current the port is drawing.
Third, when plugged into a pc, see if you can access the memory in the n7.
The Following User Says Thank You to JanComputerman For This Useful Post:
fidias2 (December 22nd, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Hi Jan

Thanks for the reply, out of interest why should you never let the battery fun flat entirely??

Already tried your suggestion with the PC, It doesn't appear to be drawing anything and also cant access it, doesn't even pick it up as an external drive.

Its been treated with loving care since purchased so i'm a bit nonplussed!

D.
Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

Hi D

The lithium cell changes physical size as it charges and discharges and discharging it fully makes it expand and contract more which ends up physically damaging the plates of the cell. All batteries typically have something size change occur when they charge and discharge and as you can imagine the deeper you discharge the more microscopic damage you do to the plates that can shorten the life cycle of the cell.

Make sure your USB connector is clean also, even a small speck of dirt can affect the contact quality. It may be that the charge circuit has disconnected the cell due to low voltage and you may also still be powered up draining it further. You might try power button pressing while charging .... needs a reset maybe. I have a XOVision Xtab7 and had to press the reset button last week to get it running, I wonder if the N7 has a reset somewhere. When run down the charge circuit will sometimes limit how fast it will charge the cell and if it is still running it may not charge fast enough to keep up, getting it to shut off would be critical so try keeping it plugged in to the charger for several hours. Good luck, you must be having N7 withdrawal symptoms by now!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JanComputerman For This Useful Post:
CrackBaby (August 3rd, 2012), damiencannell (August 3rd, 2012), Lightswarm (October 15th, 2012), Metroid Prime (February 18th, 2013)
Old August 4th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G, Asus Nexus 7 16gb

Last night I had an issue like this. The tablet turned off because low battery, and when I plugged it in, nothing happened. Then I put my ear up to the tablet and there was a slight buzzing that went for about 15 seconds. Then it stopped and the charging screen came up. The only problem was that it took HOURS to charge. Like at least 7 hours on the sock cable/charger
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
4 8 15 16 23 42

Device(s): SGS3, Nexus 7, HTC Desire HD, HTC Hero (GSM)
Carrier: Orange

Thanked 7,189 Times in 3,840 Posts
xyro.af@gmail.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanComputerman View Post
The lithium cell changes physical size as it charges and discharges and discharging it fully makes it expand and contract more which ends up physically damaging the plates of the cell. All batteries typically have something size change occur when they charge and discharge and as you can imagine the deeper you discharge the more microscopic damage you do to the plates that can shorten the life cycle of the cell.
It definitely is true that frequent top up charges are preferable for Li-Pol batteries, rather than full discharges.

Although it should be noted that there is a big difference between the N7 turning off due to low charge and actually depleting the battery. The latter is much worse for the life of the battery, but your N7 will shut off before the battery is fully depleted.

So, unless something isn't working as intended, letting your N7's charge reach 0% should not kill it. Think of it like a fuel gauge on a car, you've still got a bit of leeway even when it reads empty.

If you see a post that needs a mod's attention, hit the button.
Old August 4th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

LookinNwpt@gmail.com

That would depend upon how much leeway is Designed into the circuit that charges the cell and the N7 circuitry. If the cell regulator gets down to minimum and disconnects itself from the N7 to prevent too deep a discharge then you may have problems charging it back up again because the N7 is powered down and the charge regulator often limits low voltage charging rates to a fraction of normal requiring hours of trickle charging before allowing a normal charge rate.
Sounds like you should leave it charging for several hours and it may recover.
JD914 likes this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JanComputerman For This Useful Post:
DanielM426 (August 4th, 2012), Xyro (August 4th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 05:30 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G, Asus Nexus 7 16gb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanComputerman View Post
That would depend upon how much leeway is Designed into the circuit that charges the cell and the N7 circuitry. If the cell regulator gets down to minimum and disconnects itself from the N7 to prevent too deep a discharge then you may have problems charging it back up again because the N7 is powered down and the charge regulator often limits low voltage charging rates to a fraction of normal requiring hours of trickle charging before allowing a normal charge rate.
Sounds like you should leave it charging for several hours and it may recover.
I figured that there was some sort of circuit protection going on. The tablet took ages to charge and in the morning I unplugged it around 80%. I then plugged it in again and the last 20% charged at a normal rate. I wish that I had BMW open to see trickle vs. full rate charging.
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Thanks for the replies guys. I left mine plugged in all night and it charged up to 50%. I then was able to switch it on and charges the remainder.

I'm not a technical person but it seems from my experience and others that there is some sort of safety feature on the unit that only allows trickle charging if the battery is fully run down.

I'm just glad mine still works and I don't have to return it.

Cheers

D.
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 16GB Black Sony Tablet Z 4G

Mine did the same, was playing Mini Motor Racing and the N7 went off with some buzzing a static like display on the screen. Started charging very slowly until I switched it on-off and back on.

No harm done I reckon. There's no way that phones and tablets wouldn't have some safety feature for batteries running down. I've lost count of the amount of times I've run batteries down.
The Following User Says Thank You to MartinS For This Useful Post:
szaszati (September 3rd, 2012)
sponsored links
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s): HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy Note II, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,403 Posts

Sounds like the cpu was still running at or near 100% while trying to charge. (i.e. your game was still running?)
Old August 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s):

This happened to me. Completely dead, would not turn on or show up on USB on my laptop. I fixed by holding the power for a long time at least 30 seconds. Eventually it come on and was charged to 44%. Just make sure to hold the power for as long as it takes. So glad thought it was done and I had to deal with shipping back. Hope this helps.
JanComputerman, rkf1957 and Voxxer like this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shoebox07 For This Useful Post:
fidias2 (December 22nd, 2012), Voxxer (December 20th, 2012)
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox07 View Post
This happened to me. Completely dead, would not turn on or show up on USB on my laptop. I fixed by holding the power for a long time at least 30 seconds. Eventually it come on and was charged to 44%. Just make sure to hold the power for as long as it takes. So glad thought it was done and I had to deal with shipping back. Hope this helps.
Had the same issue the OP did and this was the solution to my problem. Strange that the unit took so long to power on when the battery is completely depleted versus when it has a charge.
rkf1957 likes this.
Old August 10th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default SOLVED - Nexus 7 not charging

I too had a charging problem. After all night charging (I thought) it was about dead at 3% left. Saw a post about Non-Certified cables may not charge the Nexus 7s. So I un-wrapped my never used, SHORT stock cable and noticed the tabs on one side of the micro end seem to protrude more than my other micro cables, probably holding in better BUT the cable may be slightly different in other ways...I plugged it in and my Nexus is charging faster than it did before.

That's all I know, using the Stock Nexus 7 USB cable SOLVED my charging issues. I read about other issues as well, possible defective chargers, charging chips etc. I hope the cable issue is the main culprit here because it is easy to fix. I DO think other micro USB cables will charge, they must, I have used 4 different cables since I had my N7 for over two weeks now, but the stock ASUS USB cable shipped with the N7 is charging my N7 much faster than what I have seen before.

Cheers!
Last edited by Mr Geek; August 10th, 2012 at 03:03 PM.
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S2 (t-mobile)

I had this happen to me!! My tablet hadn't been on the charging cord in a while. This morning, it wouldn't power on at all, not the normal way. Did some googling and tried the "30 second press." That worked. After it powered up, I checked the battery, which was at 46%. I am not sure what happened, but some say that this happens after intensive gameplaying.
Old August 12th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Sounds like SOD... sleep of death. I've seen it on several CyanogenMod roms.

the fix is always to reset it by holding down the power button or power + home button for about 30 seconds until it powers off and back on.
The Following User Says Thank You to colchiro For This Useful Post:
jimlocke (December 25th, 2012)
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #17 (permalink)

Device(s):

Similar problem with my 7. Made a post about it....but I haven't been able to get mine back on.
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'd press the power button for at LEAST 30 seconds, then throw it on the stock charger with the stock cable, assuming they are in good condition.

Soooo, what else aren't you telling us?
The Following User Says Thank You to colchiro For This Useful Post:
jimlocke (December 25th, 2012)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s):

So, I've noticed that if I let by battery run down all the way and then plug it in to charge, it won't charge. I have to plug it in, turn it on (by pushing and holding on to the power button) before it will start to charge again.
If I don't turn it on, it doesn't seem to charge (or at least very slowly). I've charged it all night, just to wake up to a 36 percent battery.
If I don't let it run down all the way, it seems to charge fine.
Is this normal? Should I return the device?
Also, it doesn't seem to charge when I use it while it's plugged in (is this by design?)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB

Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallifan33 View Post
So, I've noticed that if I let by battery run down all the way and then plug it in to charge, it won't charge. I have to plug it in, turn it on (by pushing and holding on to the power button) before it will start to charge again.
If I don't turn it on, it doesn't seem to charge (or at least very slowly). I've charged it all night, just to wake up to a 36 percent battery.
If I don't let it run down all the way, it seems to charge fine.
Is this normal? Should I return the device?
Also, it doesn't seem to charge when I use it while it's plugged in (is this by design?)
Sure sounds like a lot of other people have had the same experience. I haven't personally left mine to go down to zero yet, so can't verify.
See something you hate? Hit Report!
sponsored links
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s):

Phew! The 30 second power button press worked for me. That's the last time I'll let it fully drain.
Old August 31st, 2012, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

God damn this ****ing thing. Some app held a wake lock last night and killed my battery overnight. All the battery stats say is "Android OS" wake lock 14 hours. The device wouldn't power on at all. Thankfully I found this thread and the 30 second power button thing worked for me.

My only gripe with Android is this ****ing wake lock bullshit.
Old August 31st, 2012, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 , iPhone 4s.

I remember when I had the first original dell streak (nightmare) used to empty right down from full to beyond empty, for no reason, had to leave it on charges day or so to spur some life into it. (Soon got shut of it)
Its always butt nipping Time whenever stuff like this happens
Old September 1st, 2012, 05:22 AM   #24 (permalink)

Device(s):

Similar issue yesterday, except no gaming. Plugged it in with a pretty good charge left, woke up Friday and it wouldn't turn on or respond to any chargers. Finally found the ASUS support number (booklet doesn't have it, website gives you a sort of 404 page). Holding the power button for awhile worked.

Support guy said it was because the n7 got too much of a charge, which doesn't make any sense.
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:01 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Battery dead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
Mine did the same, was playing Mini Motor Racing and the N7 went off with some buzzing a static like display on the screen. Started charging very slowly until I switched it on-off and back on.

No harm done I reckon. There's no way that phones and tablets wouldn't have some safety feature for batteries running down. I've lost count of the amount of times I've run batteries down.
Hi guys!

I have a very similar problem: I've been playing Sims 3 free to play on my Nexus 7, when the battery had only 4% remaining, so I connected it to a Samsung Galaxy S2 stock charger and kept on playing. A while later the tablet went off with some garbled buzzing static, like MartinS described.

I couldn't turn it on for a while, then I connected it to the stock charger (which has an adaptor, as I live in the EU and it's an american socket type charger), then it turned on, but went off again after a couple of minutes with the same garbled static screen. At this point it was still connected to the stock wall charger with the stock USB cable.

I then proceeded to connect it to my laptop with the stock USB cable. Now it has been turned on for at least 10 minutes, but the lock screen still says it's charging, but it's staying at 0%. As soon as I disconnect the USB cable, the tablet powers off normally.

Is it possible that the battery died or should I just wait more for it to charge?
Old September 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just a quick update on my previous post: the Nexus is now connected to my laptop via the stock USB cable and it's turned off, charging. After about 30 minutes of charging I turned it back on, and was greeted by a "Charging, 1%" message. Maybe there's hope that it will charge, even if slowly. Anyway, I turned it off and I'll wait a couple of hours before turning it on again.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 09:58 AM   #27 (permalink)

Did you try holding the power button down for > 30 secs?
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:15 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
Did you try holding the power button down for > 30 secs?
I didn't have to It just started charging after a while. Then I switched to the wall charger and now everything's fine. I think the battery drowned completely, that's why the screen went all crazy. It gave me the freaks anyway
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:24 AM   #29 (permalink)

You might have saved yourself a bit of anxiety by trying it first when it wouldn't turn on.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:36 AM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s): Current: Samsung GS4, Rooted Nexus 7, HP Touchpad running CM9 Previous: Moto DRM, Bionic, X
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Sounds like SOD... sleep of death. I've seen it on several CyanogenMod roms.

the fix is always to reset it by holding down the power button or power + home button for about 30 seconds until it powers off and back on.
So where's the home key on the N7?

(sorry, I couldn't resist asking the question)
sponsored links
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:41 AM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): Current: Samsung GS4, Rooted Nexus 7, HP Touchpad running CM9 Previous: Moto DRM, Bionic, X

Mine ran down last night and I couldn't get it to boot this morning. I plugged it into the charger with no luck. I was just about to check here or call tech support when I attempted to boot into recovery and it started normally. I figure that I must have held the three keys for 30 seconds and it kicked in using the 30 second rule.

Either way, I'm just glad I didn't have to resort to sending it in for replacement.

It's charging now with the power off in the hopes that it will charge faster...
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:16 AM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
You might have saved yourself a bit of anxiety by trying it first when it wouldn't turn on.
I don't know if it had helped. The battery seemed dead empty, it just needed some time to charge before turning it back on
Old September 3rd, 2012, 01:18 AM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoxxo View Post
Mine ran down last night and I couldn't get it to boot this morning. I plugged it into the charger with no luck. I was just about to check here or call tech support when I attempted to boot into recovery and it started normally. I figure that I must have held the three keys for 30 seconds and it kicked in using the 30 second rule.

Either way, I'm just glad I didn't have to resort to sending it in for replacement.

It's charging now with the power off in the hopes that it will charge faster...
It sure helped me.. Alternatively, you could try charging it from a USB port first, then with the wall charger. I don't know if it makes any difference, but a couple of people reportedly managed to charge it this way.
Old September 8th, 2012, 01:13 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks for your help, everyone. My battery was at 37% when I shut it down and put it on the charger. 24 hours later I tried to power up and got nothing. After two hours of doing everything I could think of I was really stumped because the cord, charger, even the ports checked out.

The 30-second power-up worked.

Now I need to go cancel that return I scheduled with Google.
Old September 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi guys, i'm having a similar problem. Battery was on about 10%, no apps running, went to bed. In the morning nothing at all. try to boot up twice, both time get static on screen. think oh crap it's broken. leave plugged in all day when I go to work, get back 9 hours later and still nothing. tried the 30 second bootup and I got a bootloader screen. It's now stuck on the X after the google logo which is animated. if I turn it off, it reboots about 5 seconds later and gets to the same stage. I can only power it down by manually going to the boot loader (vol up and down + power) and pressing power off. every time I boot it I am stuck on the animated x. Any ideas guys, I'm about to fill in a return form, it's that bad.
filbert likes this.
Old September 10th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommort1992 View Post
Hi guys, i'm having a similar problem. Battery was on about 10%, no apps running, went to bed. In the morning nothing at all. try to boot up twice, both time get static on screen. think oh crap it's broken. leave plugged in all day when I go to work, get back 9 hours later and still nothing. tried the 30 second bootup and I got a bootloader screen. It's now stuck on the X after the google logo which is animated. if I turn it off, it reboots about 5 seconds later and gets to the same stage. I can only power it down by manually going to the boot loader (vol up and down + power) and pressing power off. every time I boot it I am stuck on the animated x. Any ideas guys, I'm about to fill in a return form, it's that bad.
Sorry, I'm going to ask the obvious question: did you try a different USB cable? The cable that comes with the N7 is very cheap, and I've actually had occaisional problems with it...
Old September 10th, 2012, 04:04 PM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s):

yep, done all the standard diagnostics (differnt plug sockets, cables etc). looks like it is charging now however I cannot get it to boot up. All I get is the x. If i try and boot the recovery loader I don't even get past the google screen. I think it's seriously screwed.
Old September 11th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s): Verizon Motorola Droid X, presently, Motorola Droid RazR

Default Charging Cable Different

The charging cable for the Nexus 7 is slightly different. The cable for my
Razr does not fit it, but I have several cables for my droid X and they do the trick. Love the fact that I now have a back up cable for travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Geek View Post
I too had a charging problem. After all night charging (I thought) it was about dead at 3% left. Saw a post about Non-Certified cables may not charge the Nexus 7s. So I un-wrapped my never used, SHORT stock cable and noticed the tabs on one side of the micro end seem to protrude more than my other micro cables, probably holding in better BUT the cable may be slightly different in other ways...I plugged it in and my Nexus is charging faster than it did before.

That's all I know, using the Stock Nexus 7 USB cable SOLVED my charging issues. I read about other issues as well, possible defective chargers, charging chips etc. I hope the cable issue is the main culprit here because it is easy to fix. I DO think other micro USB cables will charge, they must, I have used 4 different cables since I had my N7 for over two weeks now, but the stock ASUS USB cable shipped with the N7 is charging my N7 much faster than what I have seen before.

Cheers!
Old September 13th, 2012, 03:12 AM   #39 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommort1992 View Post
I think i saw another thread about being stuck in a bootload loop, try doing a search for bootload etc as i'm not sure if a resolution was found.

Good Luck buddy
Old September 13th, 2012, 12:31 PM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wow.. Thanks EVERYONE!.. I had left my USB drive connected and sure enough, the nexus 7 was dead in the morning. Would not charge etc. I was just packing it up for a return, when I read all your responses here.. the 30 power-up did the trick..
sponsored links
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:40 PM   #41 (permalink)

I've seen similar threads in all the forums I frequent:

HP Touchpad,
Nook Color,
Galaxy Nexus,
Nexus 7.
Old September 14th, 2012, 04:19 AM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7

just had to do the "30 second" trick on mine as it just 'blacked out' on me after using my OTG cable to transfer a film from a memory stick.

Im now looking for a new cable after reading on this thread the stock one is crap,

does this one look ok, or is it going to be just as cheap?

MICRO USB CABLE FOR ASUS GOOGLE NEXUS 7 | eBay
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Device(s):

Had same issues after my son allowed the battery to run down completely. Using a stop watch and holding the power button; it took almost exactly 20 seconds for it to power up.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old September 18th, 2012, 01:52 AM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by szaszati View Post
I didn't have to It just started charging after a while. Then I switched to the wall charger and now everything's fine. I think the battery drowned completely, that's why the screen went all crazy. It gave me the freaks anyway
I have the same problem.
I have now connected the device to the wall and it works fine, but the loading rate remains steady at zero.
Old October 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #45 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm in a spot of bother here gents, which is why I've signed up to take on some of your knowledge.

Basically, I bought my nexus off ebay. I'm not blaming the seller as he's got 100% feedback from lots of customers before me and I know many other people have had battery problems before.

My battery is charging so slowly. I've had it on since midnight last night (so around 18 hours) and it's gone up from 20% to 50%. The worst part is it dropped 1% when I used it for a few minutes while it was on charge in that time.

I've tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds but that only turns it off and on (or just on in the case that it was off already).

I guess it's good that it's charging, but I'd prefer not to wait two days every time it runs low.

Basically, I glanced at google's replacement thing and they needed an order number which suggests I won't be able to sort it out under warranty even though it should still be under warranty. Fact is the last guy would have returned/replaced it anyway had he had this problem so google/asus aren't losing anything surely?

Any help or tips would be hugely appreciated. I don't have the money to just chuck it.
Old October 8th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s):

Llike mnay others here I have had the dredded 'Nexus 7 die' problems.

Bought this two weeks ago - all fine etc until last week when total failure - whilst doing nothing more strenuous than reading a book. Battery was not low. 30 sec reboot did not work - and tablet would not charge.

Contacted retailer on my return home this morning - they had me try the 30 sec re-set again - no success - then immediately offered a collect / replace service - with delivery tomorrow (within 24 hours).
I am impressed with their service.

My only question ?
Will I have problems recovering apps / books etc that were loaded to the 'old' Nexus 7 - or should all magically re-appear when I set my new Nexus 7 to my Google account etc ????

I still have some of my Google Play voucher to use up - Will that also be auto updated to the new tablet ???

Regards
John
Old October 8th, 2012, 01:23 PM   #47 (permalink)

Device(s): Light Saber, nunchuks, rape whistle Tablets: OG Transformer Phone: Galaxy S III

In my unprofessional-average-guy opinion, this sounds very much like the problem a lot of us have experienced with our ASUS Transformers which leads me to believe that it's something caused in ASUS manufacturing/engineering process. Sad to say but if I had to do it all over again I would never have gotten the Transformer. Would probably go with a Samsung model or even the tablet-that-must-not-be-named. But never again with ASUS, I've learned my lesson.
Old October 8th, 2012, 06:45 PM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwillis50 View Post
I'm in a spot of bother here gents, which is why I've signed up to take on some of your knowledge.

Basically, I bought my nexus off ebay. I'm not blaming the seller as he's got 100% feedback from lots of customers before me and I know many other people have had battery problems before.

My battery is charging so slowly. I've had it on since midnight last night (so around 18 hours) and it's gone up from 20% to 50%. The worst part is it dropped 1% when I used it for a few minutes while it was on charge in that time.

I've tried holding down the power button for 30 seconds but that only turns it off and on (or just on in the case that it was off already).

I guess it's good that it's charging, but I'd prefer not to wait two days every time it runs low.

Basically, I glanced at google's replacement thing and they needed an order number which suggests I won't be able to sort it out under warranty even though it should still be under warranty. Fact is the last guy would have returned/replaced it anyway had he had this problem so google/asus aren't losing anything surely?

Any help or tips would be hugely appreciated. I don't have the money to just chuck it.
Sounds like you're charging at the speed of usb. When it's charging, check your battery stats: does it say charging (AC). If it says usb, while you're using your charger, the charger is most likely the issue. It's actually the most likely issue in any case. Try finding an usb charger with 2A output and use it with your original cable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsman View Post
Llike mnay others here I have had the dredded 'Nexus 7 die' problems.

Bought this two weeks ago - all fine etc until last week when total failure - whilst doing nothing more strenuous than reading a book. Battery was not low. 30 sec reboot did not work - and tablet would not charge.

Contacted retailer on my return home this morning - they had me try the 30 sec re-set again - no success - then immediately offered a collect / replace service - with delivery tomorrow (within 24 hours).
I am impressed with their service.

My only question ?
Will I have problems recovering apps / books etc that were loaded to the 'old' Nexus 7 - or should all magically re-appear when I set my new Nexus 7 to my Google account etc ????

I still have some of my Google Play voucher to use up - Will that also be auto updated to the new tablet ???

Regards
John
As long as you didn't disable backups or background data and have had a network connection recently, everything should be backed up and magically pop back up when you log back in, it'll take a few minutes tho, depending on how many apps and your connection speed. Same with your credit, it's linked to your Google account.
Lordvincent 90 likes this.
Old October 8th, 2012, 10:59 PM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Battery again?

Hello Users: I just sold my android tablet and was thinking to buy

a NEXUS 7 BUT with all the problems of the battery should I ??

BUT with all of you users around I have support no?

If you all had to do over would it be NEXUS 7?

Bob
Old October 9th, 2012, 03:55 AM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s):

You just need to long press the power button. You need to do it for like 20-30 seconds and it'll just turn on. I did it while on charge. Was really scared, coz mine had been working so perfectly up until then! *phew!*

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)