Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Can I do this with a Nexus 7?

Hi,

I'm new to the whole tablet thing but I'm going on a 5-month backpacking trip that I'm trying to keep as light as possible while still having tech with me and I'm thinking that the nexus 7 would be a better solution than my netbook. My biggest concern is what to do with my digital photos from my camera. Will I be able to hook my camera up to the nexus using a USB -> Micro USB adapter to transfer the images over and then FTP them to my server? Will I be able to browse them in a gallery so I can choose the ones I want to add to blog posts?

I'd appreciate any feedback on this as, if it's a realistic option, I need to order ASAP.

Thanks!

sponsored links
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X, Nexus 7

Thanked 1,543 Times in 794 Posts

You can plug your camera into the tablet with a USB OTG cable. You can check out this thread for details:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-7/589205-adventures-usb-otg-what-you-using.html

If your camera mounts as a PTP device, you don't have to be rooted. If your camera mounts as a mass storage device, you have to root in order to accomplish this.

I will say, though, that the transfer speed is slow - if you're just doing casual shots, that's fine, but if you're an enthusiast with a DSLR, it might get a bit tedious.

I've not used an FTP client on the N7 yet, but I did use it on my Galaxy Nexus and it worked fine.

Finally, yes, you can browse them as a gallery. You can do it either with the camera mounted, or after you transfer them over.
Old August 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Thanks so much for your response. Sounds like this could be a great solution as I'm using taking 10-20 shots a day with a P&S so nothing too major. I'll check that thread out. Really hoping I won't have to root it as I have no idea what that really is (though I think I saw a thread about it so maybe I'll check that out).
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32GB White, Pebble KickStarter Edition, Nexus 7 16GB, MK808b MiniPc
Carrier: GiffGaff

I dont know if your camera uses full size SD cards?

if so this may be an option.
SanDisk Eye-Fi 8GB Wireless Memory Card: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

you can then wirelessly send your photos to the cloud from the camera, then access them from the Nexus.
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

It doesn't but thanks. I have in my shopping cart an OTG cable, a teeny tiny microSD card reader and a USB stick card reader for my camera card. I think between these three things I'll be golden and the 32GB micro SD cards are so cheap I can buy a few and load them up with movies, TV shows, music, etc for when I have no wifi access.

Thanks again for the suggestion though!

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)