Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Find everything you need for the Galaxy S5 and discuss it in our S5 forum!
Have you seen that OnePlus One's awesome camera?? The forum is over here!

Like Tree7Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:22 AM   #51 (permalink)
Pâtes avec votre foie

Device(s): Samsung Note 2(Me), Evo4G LTE(Wife), Nexus 7, Nook Tablet All rooted? Of course!!
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,411 Times in 1,952 Posts
pastafarianaf@gmail.com

Keep trying with Asus, don't take no for an answer. They fixed mine.
hunt251 likes this.

Did you forget to kiss a Mod today?
sponsored links
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #52 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerzydeb View Post
Same story here. My daughter was laying on her bed, her Nexus 7 in a case, and dropped it to a carpeted floor - and the screen cracked. A 2 foot drop, in a padded case, to a padded surface and it cannot survive? No way this thing is portable. Now - do I follow up with ASUS and see if they'll fix it - or do I sell it on ebay, eat the loss, and buy her a FIRE ? She basically only uses it for reading ....

Unbelievable that a large companies like GOOGLE and ASUS do not stand behind their warranty. I've seen so much decency lately in those affected by Hurricane Sandy. I've seen neighbors who would complain about their downstairs neighbors on a weekly basis, take those same downstairs neighbors into their own homes, provide them with food, shelter, clothing - everything - without question or any mention of money. I've seen strangers pitching in to help scrub walls and floors, rip out carpet, and carry out furniture that is already beginning to stink - all without complaint or looking for a paycheck. I've seen plumbers and electricians working 20 hour days trying to restore service. I've seen electric repairmen working the lines in high winds and rains, trying to keep people warm and connected. Maybe TPTB at GOOGLE and ASUS should stop by and pick up some humanity ???

All right there, mother Theresa. They're not people, they're companies. They won't replace any old broken tablet out of the kindness of their heart and if you think replacement of a $200 luxury item has anything to do with humanity, you might want to rethink your morals.
Just call them and keep insisting it broke under normal use. Bad luck on any drop will result in a shattered screen, since these devices are nothing more then a screen. Factory defects are also a possible factor that could compromise your screen's durability.
All I can say is mine survived a handful of waist-heigh drops. And we have stone floors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Teknologic For This Useful Post:
GirlFriday (December 29th, 2012)
Old November 9th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s): Xperia Live with Walkman WT19i Nexus 7 32Gb
Carrier: T-Mobile

Would that ridiculously priced Gumdrop case ($50!!!) provide adequate protection from drops and impacts? $50 is a lot of money, but if the Nexus 7's build quality (or lack thereof) justifies it then I'm getting one.
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 16gb, LG Optimus C
Carrier: Not Provided

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarli View Post
Would that ridiculously priced Gumdrop case ($50!!!) provide adequate protection from drops and impacts? $50 is a lot of money, but if the Nexus 7's build quality (or lack thereof) justifies it then I'm getting one.
If it doesn't protect it then you're out the cost of the N7 AND the cost of the case. After breaking my first one I got the Squaretrade warranty for $34.99 after applying a coupon I found online. Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Electronics Insurance Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse it now because of the warranty. I still handle the N7 like a newborn baby at all times. I keep it in an edge protected case and transport it it's own padded bag in my backpack. This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty of any kind. Unfortunately I felt I needed it for the N7.

Joe
Old November 9th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
If it doesn't protect it then you're out the cost of the N7 AND the cost of the case. After breaking my first one I got the Squaretrade warranty for $34.99 after applying a coupon I found online. Extended Warranty Insurance - Extended Warranties - Electronics Insurance Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse it now because of the warranty. I still handle the N7 like a newborn baby at all times. I keep it in an edge protected case and transport it it's own padded bag in my backpack. This is the first time I've ever bought an extended warranty of any kind. Unfortunately I felt I needed it for the N7.

Joe
In essence, a $10 case can be just as protective as a $50 case. As long as it's sturdy enough and covers the impact points. The best I think is a case that covers the edges and protrudes the sides a bit, as well as the front. So when it drops, there'll be no contact with the surface, then it's just a matter of how much the blow is cushioned.
Old November 16th, 2012, 11:57 PM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 4 16GB Nexus 7 16GB WiFi

Default Found a Nexus 7 replacement screen supplier

I know I'm a noob on this forum, but I've been scouring the internets for a reasonably priced replacement screen. I found a supplier on alibaba, but they'll only let me order 2 at a minimum with $130 as the asking price ($260 total including 10-15 day international shipping from mainland China). It's SIGNIFICANTLY less than I've seen on Ebay as well as not as expensive as buying an 8GB on closeout @ Staples.

I think it's worth looking into, as I know I can assemble it myself once the part arrives. I might be able to get a better deal if I buy more screens, but I'd rather check the build quality first before asking others to join in.

Since I only need one screen, not two, is anyone else interested? We could make a joint paypal account with only as much as we need to order the screen and I'll ship the other to anyone willing to take the risk with me.

Any takers (in FL if possible)? If so, message me! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY N7 AGAIN!
Old November 18th, 2012, 12:22 AM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have a cracked screen on the Toshiba thrive 10.1". You are lucky with only 75.EU!.Just to get the glass for thrive is 195usd! And that is do it yourself install!!!
Old November 20th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default I am in!

Hey not sure how to reach you but mine just broke and like yours idea. Let me know asap about the details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobers View Post
I know I'm a noob on this forum, but I've been scouring the internets for a reasonably priced replacement screen. I found a supplier on alibaba, but they'll only let me order 2 at a minimum with $130 as the asking price ($260 total including 10-15 day international shipping from mainland China). It's SIGNIFICANTLY less than I've seen on Ebay as well as not as expensive as buying an 8GB on closeout @ Staples.

I think it's worth looking into, as I know I can assemble it myself once the part arrives. I might be able to get a better deal if I buy more screens, but I'd rather check the build quality first before asking others to join in.

Since I only need one screen, not two, is anyone else interested? We could make a joint paypal account with only as much as we need to order the screen and I'll ship the other to anyone willing to take the risk with me.

Any takers (in FL if possible)? If so, message me! I WANT TO BE ABLE TO USE MY N7 AGAIN!
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:24 AM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s):

I'm also interested, but found a cheaper one on **********.
Old November 20th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #60 (permalink)

Device(s):

This is what i found:
Original & new 7'' lcd screen/display for tablet PC Google Nexus 7 N070ICG LD1/N070ICG LD4,backlight:1280*800-in LCD Modules from Electronic Components & Supplies on **********.com

Its only US $89.47 (including shipping cost)

But who can approve N7 compatibility...
sponsored links
Old November 20th, 2012, 07:21 AM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII, Nexus 7, iPad 3

Quote:
I love my N7 to death but after breaking my first one I'm scared to death of it. It gets transported to/from work in a corner protected case then carefully placed in it's own padded carry bag that is then carefully placed in my back pack (I ride a motorcycle). I'm thinking about adding a wrist lanyard to mine to help make sure I don't fumble finger again and drop this one. Now that I know first hand it won't survive a drop I'm extra careful now. Doesn't make me love it any less. Just makes me more careful. Oh, and I bought the Squaretrade drop/spill warranty this time........

Joe
i bought this case on day one and haven't looked back:

Amazon.com: MoKo(TM) Slim-fit Cover Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet by Asus, Black (with Automatic Sleep/Wake Function, Protective Hardback, Built-in Multi-angle Stand, Elastic Hand Strap, and Stylus Loop)--Lifetime Warranty: Computers & Acces

it has a hand strap on the back, two angles for the landscape stand, and it grabs the tablet at the corners so that it provides protection from corner drops and it doesn't obscure the bezel. i got it for $10 but even at $16.99 it's still a good deal, i think.
Old November 21st, 2012, 10:37 AM   #62 (permalink)

That is the exact case I have...and here I am with a busted screen. Corners still get some impact apparently.
Old November 21st, 2012, 01:42 PM   #63 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofer View Post
i bought this case on day one and haven't looked back:

Amazon.com: MoKo(TM) Slim-fit Cover Case for Google Nexus 7 Android Tablet by Asus, Black (with Automatic Sleep/Wake Function, Protective Hardback, Built-in Multi-angle Stand, Elastic Hand Strap, and Stylus Loop)--Lifetime Warranty: Computers & Acces

it has a hand strap on the back, two angles for the landscape stand, and it grabs the tablet at the corners so that it provides protection from corner drops and it doesn't obscure the bezel. i got it for $10 but even at $16.99 it's still a good deal, i think.
Yep, I now have that exact same case for my replacement N7. I haven't dropped it though. After seeing toobers post it sounds like it's not as good as I hoped it would be.

Joe
Old November 21st, 2012, 07:38 PM   #64 (permalink)

Default Pictures of the damage

I thought I'd illuminate my efforts a bit.

You can see that the device's point of impact was the corner protected by the case.

You can also see the extent of the shatter. It covers the top third or so of the screen. Touch input is not working until you hit the 2/3 mark down.
Old November 22nd, 2012, 02:26 AM   #65 (permalink)

Bummer.....

Joe
Old November 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM   #66 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto G
Carrier: 3

Looking to get a Nexus 7, though I have to say, all these horror stories about the fragility of the screen do have me worried.
I'm currently using a 1st Gen Kindle Fire, it has been dropped, slipped off the arm of the couch onto a hardwood floor, bounced off the bed onto likewise floor and not even suffered a scratch let alone any cracks.
Don't take this as me being careless with my devices, because that is not the case, we have kids and sometimes s@*t happens.

I'm wary that it could get knocked and leave me with a paperweight. Still really really want one, but reading some of these threads... *shudder*
Old November 27th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #67 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Broken screen too

I bought my nexus 7 in Australia to take with me on a trip to New York. It has been a big disappointment. It does not work at all now as the screen has cracked after a short fall but the other frustrating problem is that the wifi would only work in certain places. It would work in places that advertised free accessible wifi but it would not work in the two apartments I have stayed in which gave me the password for their wifi. It would connect but then tell me I could not connect to the internet. I don't know if I had the wrong settings or if it is just a feature of internet providers in New York.

It has not been particularly useful and now it is just a piece of junk taking up space in my luggage. I am hoping my travel insurance will cover the cost but I am considering whether I will buy one again.
Old November 29th, 2012, 10:47 PM   #68 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One

Well, you know, I spent $170 to get mine repaired (ASUS) I would have had to do just all too much lying to claim it was the factory's fault...(not that it didn't cross my mind, and I've total sympathy for those who did.) I just threw myself on Google's mercy, as in the past, they've often been sympathetic to different things, and told them I'd dropped it 'a few feet' and that it broke surprisingly easy, blah blah blah...and as always, I got some friendly sort, but he told me it was past the fifteen day warranty, or whatever it was, and had to call ASUS, and from there, it seemed unfriendly and u know, pay the price, get a 'protction' holder, whatever these clowns called it...and any fool can see they aren't going to protect it from any 'jar' crack anyway...just scratches and such...

I like the tablet, but in hindsight, having to baby it, I'd just as comfortable with my netbook. What made the tablet so appealing--to me--was that it fit in my pants pocket, it was cool carrying that 7" screen around with which I could read books, check the web, kind of fun...but now that I know that it cracks easy, no longer carry it the same: now it's in case and I treat it as 'fragile' and...well...I don't live that 'fragile' a lifestyle, I'm kind of a beach bum, and bounce from one rock to the next, so at least when I"m lugging my netbook around, I"m aware of it...not really worth the hassle anymore...and I still feel like somewhere in there, we've been lied too: either those test aren't really indicative of all of these tablets, or else many of them--as some have suggested--are defective...but I don't see anybody at google or asus saying to send them back to get some good glass put in...next crack I sell mine for scrap on ebay....lug my old KIndle around for reading, netbook for web stuff, and smartphone for all the rest....
Old November 30th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #69 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by esox_hu View Post
I'm also interested, but found a cheaper one on **********.
That is not for Nexus 7, its chinese made Ainol 7, right?
Old November 30th, 2012, 02:13 PM   #70 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckfeet View Post
I don't live that 'fragile' a lifestyle, I'm kind of a beach bum, and bounce from one rock to the next
I can relate to your lifestyle choice, which is why I got the Gumdrop.

I detest the idea of having to baby a device to the extent the Nexus 7 appears to require. Case in point: toobers had a protective case, and it cracked at precisely the area where it was supposedly protected.
sponsored links
Old November 30th, 2012, 03:26 PM   #71 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by phissith View Post
That is not for Nexus 7, its chinese made Ainol 7, right?
Ohhh bl...dy hell, they change it's name. See my original post, it was nexus 7:

"Original & new 7'' lcd screen/display for tablet PC Google Nexus 7 N070ICG LD1/N070ICG LD4,backlight:1280*800-in LCD Modules from Electronic Components & Supplies on **********.com"
Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:46 AM   #72 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Forget about USA Nexus Repair

TOTAL REPAIR FAIL
My Nexus7 screen cracked and unresponsive after a 2 ft drop to a hard floor (my carelessness). I called ASUS and was referred to the USA repair facility in Texas. ON their instructions I mailed my Nexus7 to Texas, they emailed back a repair offer for abt $150 USD. To keep my data I authorized payment and received an email that my nexus was repaired and being sent back.

My Nexus7 came back after 3 weeks but it was not repaired. Fortunately no charge was made to my credit card.

I gave up and bought a replacement and promise to be more careful.

Ifixit site has easy instructions for removing and replacing screen but there are no inexpensive replacement screens for sale.

My conclusion: treat a broken nexus 7 as a throwaway
am_beagle likes this.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:04 AM   #73 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default the wifi connection should work

{wifi would only work in certain places. It would work in places that advertised free accessible wifi but it would not work in the two apartments I have stayed in which gave me the password for their wifi. It would connect but then tell me I could not connect to the internet. I don't know if I had the wrong settings or if it is just a feature of internet providers in New York.}

Sorry you have had wifi problems (the cracked screen wrecked mine as well/I gave up on repair and bought a replacement)
One of the best things I have found about the Nexus 7 is that it has a very good antennae and radio signal for wifi hookups. I have been in many cities (western US) and always had good and fast hookups.
Sometimes you can connect even where there is no password protection and the open browser to do a confirmation before you have an open connection.
And the recent operating system update seems to have speeded the connection process.
Last edited by oregonian55; December 3rd, 2012 at 01:06 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old December 3rd, 2012, 07:57 PM   #74 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default pastafarian help me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
Hey can u tell me your case number? My nexus screen cracked last week and I'm now as we speak in a waiting line with Asus to chat. I have a 80min wait, please tell me!
Old December 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #75 (permalink)

Device(s):

Glad I spent the extra 20 on the cracked screen extended warranty something tells me it will pay for itself
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt251 View Post
Hey can u tell me your case number? My nexus screen cracked last week and I'm now as we speak in a waiting line with Asus to chat. I have a 80min wait, please tell me!
What happened to cause your Nexus to crack?
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #77 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default another possible repair place

Screen rez is nice and speed etc. I have an iPad and this unit would be a nice complement at the right price and if I could get a "good" unit.
Old December 5th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #78 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default another possible repair place

Another possible repair site (had to do in 2 posts). I imagine a lot of these type places have sprung up in the last couple of years.

Mail In Instructions

A relative of mine fixed two iPods cracked screens for about $85 each..she did it locally..not sure if that included labor although I think that was her total price.

Still eyeing these n7 but leery of the screen separation/cracked issues. Finally saw a n7 in person recently and the demo unit also had some ("a little") screen flex on the left side. Office Max mgr told me they were given training material from Asus that the flex is built in to "to prolong display life". I think she also said to prevent cracking but I don't remember now. I should have asked to see that training material. Right side had no flex whatsoever. For the little flex it had, the mgr said she would not replace it within their store 14 day return policy and I'd have to contact Asus. For as little as the flex was, I could probably live with it unless it started to grow or caused other screen issues.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:16 AM   #79 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarli View Post
What happened to cause your Nexus to crack?
My screen cracked by a drop. On hard tile.
Old December 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #80 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Please tell me your case number!
frusso21 likes this.
sponsored links
Old December 9th, 2012, 04:52 PM   #81 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt251 View Post
Please tell me your case number!
What email/phone number did you guys use?
Old December 12th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #82 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 (16GB)

Send a message via MSN to silvercue Send a message via Skype™ to silvercue

Hi - has anyone had any luck yet? I still can't find replacement parts and instruction......I live in the UK btw.

Really don't want to ebay this as they are getting poor prices now.

I have the cracked screen and unresponsive (digitizer??? whatever that is?)
Old December 13th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #83 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5

I cracked my screen I think from pressure of being against something in my backpack (where I would never place it, but my nephew put it there), Asus replaced it for free, but it was the cleanest break I've seen on glass. There was no spidering, and it didn't look like it came from one specific origin (an impact).

It helped a lot that my Nexus 7 was immaculate, not one single scratch or dent anywhere on the device, which convince asus that it wasn't user damage.

I told them that I put it down on my cold concrete countertop (which actually could be the truth, because I did put it on the counter after taking it out of the backpack without really looking at it) and it just cracked. I hope this helps.
Old December 17th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #84 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Shattered My Nexus & Screen

My Nexus 7 dropped from about 5 feet and fell face down onto concrete inside a case. Just an accidental drop. I was carrying too many things and trying to grab my keys and open my truck door and then SPLAT!!

I've read many threads and it seems there is still no answer to how to get the PARTS at a reasonable price. It costs $152 to build this device, but charge $149 to $180 just for the screen package. I wouldn't mind paying up to $100 for repairs but anything more I might as well buy purchase another one from ebay. Just a question is the screen on the Nexus 7 8GB the same screen on the Nexus 7 16GB. This Nexus 7 was purchased during the summer months.
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:54 AM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IkeBeezy View Post
My Nexus 7 dropped from about 5 feet and fell face down onto concrete inside a case. Just an accidental drop. I was carrying too many things and trying to grab my keys and open my truck door and then SPLAT!!
What kind of case was it in when this happened and what was the extent of the damage? Just wanted to gauge how (in)effective some cases are to protect our Nexus 7s.
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #86 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, Dell Latitude 10 (Win8)
Carrier: Sprint

The screens will crack from too much pressure too. It's foolish to think you can just shove it in your pocket with no protection. If you shove it in a bag and pressure gets put on it, either because you shoved a bunch of other things in there too or even because someone got pushed up against you on the subway or something, it can crack. It happens to Kindles too. If you dropped your Nexus on a hard surface and the screen broke, you can't blame ASUS.
Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Dell Latitude 10 (Windows 8)
Old January 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM   #87 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3, Galaxy Nexus, HTC Desire-Z.

I have just discovered a crack in mine. I was puzzled as to why the "back", "home" and "recent" buttons did not work, thought it must be a misbehaving app, used the power button to shut it down and went to do something else. Later my fiancée noticed what looked like a scratch but on closer inspection it is clear this is a crack. In my case the crack runs almost horizontally across the screen (when held portrait) with a slight curve somewhere between a third and a quarter of the way up from the bottom. I find that touching the screen above the crack is usually recognised whereas touching below the crack never is. Presumably this means the digitiser is connected from the top. I am not sure if this is new with the 4.2 (multi-user) JellyBean but prior to the crack the tablet was us able in all four orientations, i.e. with what I am calling the top, with the front facing camera, at the top (portrait), right (landscape), bottom (portrait) and left (landscape). I have not been able to work out exactly what is us able in each of the four positions at the moment as the battery is now flat but, while this may not be a very convenient way of working, it may be useful as a way of retrieving that data that is not already cloud synced and wiping the device if you contemplate selling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercue View Post
Hi - has anyone had any luck yet? I still can't find replacement parts and instruction......I live in the UK btw.

Really don't want to ebay this as they are getting poor prices now.

I have the cracked screen and unresponsive (digitizer??? whatever that is?)
Have you had any luck mentioning the UK sale of goods act? I am not a lawyer but my understanding is that if you buy a product and use it for the purpose it was obviously intended for taking the usual, reasonable care of it and it fails in an unreasonably short period of time then you are entitled to a refund/repair/replacement. If this provision works the same as the rest of the act then your claim is against the seller rather than the manufacturer.

I will see how I get on once the bank holiday is out of the way.
Old January 3rd, 2013, 10:37 AM   #88 (permalink)

Device(s): Transform

Is The screen and Digitizer one unit or can you replace just the LCD screen?
Old January 3rd, 2013, 05:09 PM   #89 (permalink)

Sadly, it's one unit. Replacing a digitizer on my phone cost me like 15 dollars.
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #90 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi guys. Just found a supplier for the LCD/Digitizer for the N7. Not cheap but best option so far. http://m.**********.com/item/652472351.html

Sorry I'm searching on my mobile I hope your able to use that link on pc etc.
Last edited by Bloatedniknak; January 17th, 2013 at 10:34 PM.
sponsored links
Old January 28th, 2013, 02:50 PM   #91 (permalink)

Device(s): Viewsonic G-Tablet, Droid X, LG Voyager (retired), Galaxy S III, Nexus 7

Thumbs up Ebay

These are starting to show up on ebay. $71 including shipping and you have to figure out how to re-tape the display to it. If the price gets closer to $50 it might be worth the hassle.

Original 7 inch Capacitive Google Nexus 7 LCD Touch Screen Digitizer Panel | eBay

SH

Oh, found this too for $64.80.

http://www.**********.com/item/for-Original-7-inch-Capacitive-Google-nexus-7-LCD-touch-screen-digitizer-panel/743827382.html
Last edited by StillHacking; January 28th, 2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: 2nd link
Old January 28th, 2013, 03:17 PM   #92 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloatedniknak View Post
Hi guys. Just found a supplier for the LCD/Digitizer for the N7. Not cheap but best option so far. mobile site-Free Shipping 100% Original For ASUS Google Nexus 7 LCD Display Screen Touch Screen digitizer Assembly

Sorry I'm searching on my mobile I hope your able to use that link on pc etc.

wow.. holly crazy rip off batman!

$190 for screen!!!

you can buy a new Nexus7 16gb on groupon.. $189!!!!

DropBox: register for free space (we both get 500MB extra space): http://db.tt/sWYVl3j6
Old January 28th, 2013, 07:57 PM   #93 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II - SGH-T889, Exhibit II 4g - T679, Samsung Galaxy Pro GT-b7510, Nexus 7 , Coby Kyros MID7012,
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I know that sinking feeling. I couldn't find a replacement screen or a reasonable repair price so I sold mine on ebay. I got $111.49 for my broken 16gb N7 and bought another new one that I hold with both hands at all times now. Not what you want to hear I know but unfortunately I just don't think you're going to find a cheap repair.

Joe
Thanks mate.

My wife bought me another one since I was moping around
Old January 28th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #94 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts
Default Re: Google nexus 7 replacement screen

Yeah mine has a crack down the middle, running top to bottom. It's a shame the cost of fixing these things makes them basically disposable.
See something you hate? Hit Report!
Old January 29th, 2013, 07:14 AM   #95 (permalink)

Device(s):

My girlfriends son carries my tablet all around when he's over. I don't even flinch when he drops it.

Seidio Active
The Following User Says Thank You to Visa Declined For This Useful Post:
AntimonyER (January 29th, 2013)
Old January 29th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #96 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanked 1,939 Times in 1,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visa Declined View Post
My girlfriends son carries my tablet all around when he's over. I don't even flinch when he drops it.

Seidio Active

you got nerves of steal
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #97 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Re: Google nexus 7 replacement screen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visa Declined View Post

Seidio Active
I let my 2 year old play with my Nexus 7 all the time to, he even has his own profile he drops it all the time no big deal but I also have a extended warranty with glass coverage so that lessons the bite
Old January 29th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #98 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan330 View Post
you got nerves of steal
Unless the screen gets hit by something protruding out, I don't think he can harm it. Last time he dropped it it was on his lap while he was sitting at the dinner table. My kitchen is linoleum, no harm done.
Old February 2nd, 2013, 04:57 AM   #99 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Any advice on how to handle the case? My screen broke from moving it from the hot outside to an airconditioned room...
Or do you have a case number to quote to the support rep? Give a claim a bit better punch.

Thanks!
Old February 2nd, 2013, 08:34 AM   #100 (permalink)
lvt

Device(s): Google Nexus 7 (32GB) HTC One SV (8GB)

After reading the whole thread I think I were extremely lucky, my N7 fell twice but wiht only minor chips on the bezel. The second time it fell it bounced on the floor but without damage because two days ago I just installed a transparent gel case to reinforce the shock resistance.

In another thread I've posted a photo of my N7 with double protection (gel case + leather case), it's cheap, easy to install, nice looking, and most of all it worked.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)