Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree7Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 23rd, 2012, 07:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Surprised Google nexus 7 replacement screen

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to buy a replacement screen for my Google Nexus 7.

The screen is cracked, I contacted Google Play and they refer me to Asus, then Asus said it is out of warrant so you have to pay to repair it.

The starting fee for an out of warranty repair is 75 Euro. The costs for labour, handling, shipping and VAT will be added to this starting fee.

Does anyone knows where I can buy the screen please.

Many thanks

sponsored links
Old August 23rd, 2012, 08:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts

Hello knan2012, welcome to AF! Sorry to hear of your Tablet troubles. I haven't seen anywhere personally, but I moved your thread to the Nexus 7 forum, so the people in there will see and answer your thread. Thanks for joining up!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
Old August 23rd, 2012, 11:29 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus VZW Casio G'zOne Commando

the screen costs about $170 US. The N7 cost $200 US.

I love this script ==> V6 SuperCharger.
Old August 23rd, 2012, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 16gb, LG Optimus C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
the screen costs about $170 US. The N7 cost $200 US.
That $170.00 figure is for parts and labor from ASUS. Like knan2012 and many others with cracked screens we're hoping to find the replacement screens hit the market for a reasonable price so we can make the repairs rather than toss it in the trash or sell it for parts at a huge loss. I've already bought another N7 and am trying to prep the broken one for sale on ebay but I'd honestly rather keep it so I have one at home and one at work....

Joe
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbojoe View Post
That $170.00 figure is for parts and labor from ASUS. Like knan2012 and many others with cracked screens we're hoping to find the replacement screens hit the market for a reasonable price so we can make the repairs rather than toss it in the trash or sell it for parts at a huge loss. I've already bought another N7 and am trying to prep the broken one for sale on ebay but I'd honestly rather keep it so I have one at home and one at work....

Joe
Found this site through iFixit.com. Appears they sell N7 parts. The LCD is listed for $130 USD.
Google Nexus 7 LCD and Digitizer Assembly
Turbojoe likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to val88 For This Useful Post:
Turbojoe (August 23rd, 2012)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Legend, Nexus 7, 16GB

It probably doesn't help the OP because he/ she is in Europe, but I found this website offering repairs in the US (link removed by mod, Jan 13, 2013 by request of site, they no longer offer the service)
Unfortunately you have to email them for a quote so I don't know how much it is.

@OP 75€ doesn't sound bad seeing as Asus are charging $170 in the US.

I found a variety of touch screen panels on Ebay, but whether they'll work is questionable
Turbojoe likes this.
Last edited by EarlyMon; January 13th, 2013 at 02:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to adi19956 For This Useful Post:
Turbojoe (August 23rd, 2012)
Old August 23rd, 2012, 05:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys. That's awesome info! I'm sure there will be more places out there offering parts and repair soon.

On the site val88 posted I found a great video of the Nexus 7 teardown. Looks like a 10 minute job to replace the screen. Google Nexus 7 Repair Guide Service Manual

Joe
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi19956 View Post
Unfortunately you have to email them for a quote so I don't know how much it is.
I just sent them an e-mail requesting a quote. I'll post back when I hear from them. It's kinda late so will probably be tomorrow before I get a reply.

Joe
Old August 23rd, 2012, 06:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Legend, Nexus 7, 16GB

Yeah I'm sure more options will become available as Google sells 8 million Nexus 7s
Old August 24th, 2012, 04:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): HTC Nexus 7

Thanks guys,

It looks like repairing the screen costs more than the actual device.

Asus gave me this link Asusparts , for parts But they don't provide parts for Nexus 7 yet. so I may buy another one and keep the broken one as Turbojoe done.
sponsored links
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict

Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 9,309 Times in 4,999 Posts

Yeah, the problem with a low margin (or even negative margin possibly) device, as far as repairing it, its almost a throwaway, might as well buy a new one.
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:47 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Motorola Triumph (CM7 G60 Style and CM9 Alpha), Nexus 7 4.1.1 Stock+Rooted

Ebay?
Old August 28th, 2012, 04:18 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hello,

I'm in the same boat - my screen cracked after two weeks and I took great care of the device, it looks like I'm left with not having any other option than to bin it and buy a new device - I've had no joy from Google/Asus/Vendor - none of them can supply the parts and Asus want £60 just to look at it and then parts/labour on top - I only paid £183 for it so it would cost more to repair than replace. I don't think I will replace the device as they seem to be too prone to damage and too expensive to repair. iPad Mini here I come - never had support problems with Apple!
Old September 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s): Htc Evo 4g Google Nexus 7

I'm in the same boat, the link that Adi19956 says they are out of stock, which is blah.
Old September 16th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by val88 View Post
Thank you apple employee for signing up to this forum just to add your apple propaganda of the day. Tell your boss you've earned your salary for today.
Sorry to burst your bubble, I actually work for HP but that is irrelevant. I'm just an ordinary consumer who has no particular allegiance to any manufacturer. I just expect a reasonable level of quality backed by a decent support organisation for any device I but.
Old September 17th, 2012, 08:10 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Note II - SGH-T889, Exhibit II 4g - T679, Samsung Galaxy Pro GT-b7510, Nexus 7 , Coby Kyros MID7012,
Carrier: T-mobile

My N7 slipped and fell face flat - cracking it (thus rendering it useless) today and was wondering about the "how to" about fixing it.
Old September 18th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanize View Post
My N7 slipped and fell face flat - cracking it (thus rendering it useless) today and was wondering about the "how to" about fixing it.
Sorry to hear that. I know that sinking feeling. I couldn't find a replacement screen or a reasonable repair price so I sold mine on ebay. I got $111.49 for my broken 16gb N7 and bought another new one that I hold with both hands at all times now. Not what you want to hear I know but unfortunately I just don't think you're going to find a cheap repair.

Joe
Old September 18th, 2012, 12:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosaura1234 View Post
After reading,I just want to replace my Nexus 7 screen.
If you find a source of replacement screens please post back here as a lot of people will be very interested.

Joe
Old September 20th, 2012, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One

Yes, mine cracked...fairly easily too, which seems to be the case...I treated mine about like my Kindle--you know, stuck it in my pocket, didn't worry too much about it, figured it was/seemed fairly solid. And then mine fell a few feet, landed on it's back, and screen had hairline crack, and no longer worked...

Some people are saying, well, what do you expect? But when you google around, sure seems that these are cracking way too easily: No other device I carry with me has ever cracked a screen, so I called Google PLay, and they were very friendly, seemed all understanding and such...but I was over the 2 week warranty, so they said I had to go to ASUS, where I got more the usual semi-English speaking help desk with lots of repetitions and 'May I put you on hold, sirs' and all that....then told to send it on in...

I did, they came back with quote: Parts: $85, Labor $65, Shipping (ground) $10 ...
So, it was a 16gb tablet, so I didn't feel like just 'chucking' it, so I paid, and I got it back today....

I'm not new at this...I've always had a friendly attitude towards google...I've my Nexus One original android smartphone still happily chugging away. I was sent a free cr48 chromebook, and still use it daily, love it...but this has been a bad experience. I get it, that things break, etc...but it does seem that these specific tablets are breaking a little too easily.

I still lug around my Kindle everywhere, never had to worry about it, always falling off bed onto rug, bouncing against doors, etc...no cracks. But this tablet just came out, and to already be having the sheer amount of cracks in the screen.

I do suggest, that regardless of what you decide to do, that you contact google play, let them know, see if at least they might improve their testing methods...as this is no 'take everywhere' tablet that they claim it is...too delicate for my tastes....
Turbojoe likes this.
Old September 21st, 2012, 03:26 AM   #20 (permalink)

I love my N7 to death but after breaking my first one I'm scared to death of it. It gets transported to/from work in a corner protected case then carefully placed in it's own padded carry bag that is then carefully placed in my back pack (I ride a motorcycle). I'm thinking about adding a wrist lanyard to mine to help make sure I don't fumble finger again and drop this one. Now that I know first hand it won't survive a drop I'm extra careful now. Doesn't make me love it any less. Just makes me more careful. Oh, and I bought the Squaretrade drop/spill warranty this time........

Joe
sponsored links
Old September 23rd, 2012, 12:59 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
I love my N7 to death but after breaking my first one I'm scared to death of it. It gets transported to/from work in a corner protected case then carefully placed in it's own padded carry bag that is then carefully placed in my back pack (I ride a motorcycle). I'm thinking about adding a wrist lanyard to mine to help make sure I don't fumble finger again and drop this one. Now that I know first hand it won't survive a drop I'm extra careful now. Doesn't make me love it any less. Just makes me more careful. Oh, and I bought the Squaretrade drop/spill warranty this time........

Joe
Pretty much my story too...I just can't decide what to do...I hate having something that once seemed so handy, that now I have to 'baby' because I don't know if screen will crack if I just bump it hard....I do like it...I'm a regular/avid reader, and still love my old Kindle (keyboard) and the thing I liked most about this tablet, was after I put on the Aldiko reader, and could just put all my Calibre epub books on here...and I was getting used to the onscreen keypad on the nexus7...but again, main thing I liked was that I could throw it in my pocked, like a smartphone, and take it everywhere...

Now I have a 'holder' that protects it, but I still carry it uneasily...so if I keep feeling this way, I'll probably sell it, tho at this point in the game, I'd loose so much money, that perhaps I should just keep it as a lesson to me....

But I did talk to google, and the guy listed, seemed interested, and I told him there were increasing numbers of us on the various forums who had cracked screens, so maybe eventually they'll put some kind of gorilla glass on, or make it available...

I doubt seriously that this could pass all those 'dropping' tests...mine sure couldn't...but I don't want to get warranty, but I'll keep an eye on the threads where people have cracked the screens, see what develops....

best wishes...I'm in the Leo Laporte 'The Tech Guy' chatroom, right now, and will bring this up there, also, maybe call into Leo, see what he thinks....

df
Old September 24th, 2012, 01:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Device(s):

I've wanted a Nexus 7 since they were announced, but after watching drop/torture tests, and reading about how easy the screen does break on the N7 I decided to pay an extra $26 to order a 1 year accidental damage warranty on mine when I ordered it from Newegg. After my warranty is up I am guessing that the screens will be readily available.
Old September 25th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s):

Mine broke too, and it was in a case. The crack comes from the bottom, right in the center. I see many starting there online. Is this a weak point?

Is there an easy way to get my data off the tablet now and wipe it so I can put it on eBay?

As for a replacement, I am waiting to see what ROMs become available for the Fire HD, and what other Nexus devices become available on 11/5.
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:02 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongemus View Post
Is there an easy way to get my data off the tablet now and wipe it so I can put it on eBay?
Check out this link: [GUIDE][MAC][PC][LINUX] How to Unlock, Root and Flash Recovery

Follow the directions EXACTLY and you'll be able to unlock (wipe) and re-lock in no time. It's how I was able to wipe mine. I hope you do better on eBay than I did. I got $111.49 for my broken screen 16gb N7.

Joe
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:11 AM   #25 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks.

I already had it unlocked and rooted, BTW, but now all I have access to is the power and volume buttons... and the usb. I am hoping there is a way to get my files off via USB?
Old September 25th, 2012, 01:23 AM   #26 (permalink)

I'm not sure if you can grab the info off the unit but the only way you can wipe it is to unlock it using the steps in the link I posted. The ASUS hard reset function using the buttons does NOT work no matter how many people try to tell you to try that.

Joe
Old September 26th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #27 (permalink)

Device(s):

I ordered a micro - usb to female usb cable for $3 from Amazon, then hooked up a usb mouse and ta-da I can operate the N7. Getting my data off now. The auction is up to $20 already, most have been going for about $100.
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #28 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default anybody willing to buy 3k units?

Quote:
If you find a source of replacement screens please post back here as a lot of people will be very interested.

Joe
Found a supplier in Alibaba,
here is the email I received:
"
Mr.xxxx

Yes you are correct.
It's the model for Nexus.

Can you proceed with a few K basis as MOQ ?

We basically quote 10K basis but if you can do a few K, will try to proceed.

jaysung@netrad.co. for more information !

Jay
"

my inquiry email
"
I'm interested in your Mr. Sung,

Im interested in buying
HV070WX2 screens for nexus 7. located in US
what are my options?
Please reply
Thank You
"

I just need one,

PM me for full email id of the supplier if anyone with infrastructure and power to buy 3K units

still waiting to find 1 replacement screen!
Last edited by oct3178; September 27th, 2012 at 11:29 AM.
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Still...it just seems that its a whole lot less fun having a tablet that can come up with a very expensive crack, all too easily...I'm sitting here happily typing on mine, here in my little beach shack...but here I can just as easily use my netbook or big old laptop...for me, a tablet was supposed to be a kind of combo between my android smartphone and my old kindle....something I could lug around with me, not worrying about it anymore than I worry about my watch, or my cellphone, etc.

But after the crack, and the hassle and expense???...I mean, I've got the nice fancy cover/holder/protector.... but mine broke either from short fall...the *impact*, so I'm pretty sure it could still crack fairly easily...and its not near as handy with the cover ... now its just another computer ...
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #30 (permalink)

Device(s):

Same here, I want a replacement, but I am gun shy now. I am waiting to see the Fire HD get rom'd or hopefully I can wait for the 11/5/2012 Nexus announcement.
sponsored links
Old October 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM   #31 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 (16GB)

Send a message via MSN to silvercue Send a message via Skype™ to silvercue

My screen broke today - gutted. I got my 1st Nexus in August and it died and luckily Tescos swapped it out.

This one had a small fall (table level) and was in a protective case and the screen has broken and is now unresponsive.

The store I got this on in want £170 approx to fix
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #32 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi all,
Protective cases unless they are designed specifically for drop's like some Otterbox Defender Series cases. Most only to protect the case from scratching. Some are not even that good and are only designed to personalise your device.
Make sure you read the manufactures guidelines on the 'Protective' Qualities of your cases. Companies like Otterbox give insurance on drop damage on cases that are build for it.
EG. a thin silicone protective case only protects from scratches not drop's

Seriously people spending £5 on a protective case and expecting bombproof is just plain silly.
Kindle Drop Test Video - YouTube
The heavier the item the more energy is has to dissipate on impact, the energy has to go somewhere. Some goes as sound but most of it goes into bending and flexing the case and glass.
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #33 (permalink)

Device(s):

Does anyone know how many different models of displays there are in the Nexus 7 range?
i imagine that there is more than one manufacture.
Old October 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #34 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just opened up mine this morning and it has a hairline crack running across the upper 3rd of the screen. Unlike the rest of you who can recall a "low impact" fall causing the crack, I think mine takes the cake: It was secured in an iBlason protective case (bought on amazon) and was situated in an internal compartment of my softsided briefcase. The briefcase fell from the top of my roller suitcase--a whopping 21 inches tall. The screen works below the crack, but not above.

I am shocked and appalled that a product costing $250 is so fragile. My un-protected android phone made by HTC has hit the cement face down from waist height over a dozen times and is unscathed.

I'm really thinking about kindle fire HD now...google is running a racket on these things with cheap Chinese parts and labor.
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

Device(s):

Seems to me to be bad luck. My Nexus 7 has held up pretty well to being owned by a grade A clumsy idiot. It's been dropped three times, twice on to concrete, once from waist height and once from nearly shoulder height. The other time it fell on to carpet, but was nearly at head height, worst I got was the case is scuffed, one corner of the surround is chipped, and the case popped open on one corner. The screen and tablet are still fine.

The speaker blew, which I've just replaced from a broken unit I bought from ebay and now it's good as new. Which is why I'm here, looking into the feasibility of getting the broken ebay tablet back up and running, in some capacity, as a development device, and something I can take to work with me, so it doesn't matter so much if some clumsy fool (i.e. me) drops it
Old October 18th, 2012, 10:44 PM   #36 (permalink)

I kept mine, and I got kind of stuck here in L.A. where my tablet was my only computer--other than smartphone--and I'm still happy enough with the K7. But I do believe that they crack all too easy. I doubt any of us seriously think the case will protect it from a jar that cracked out screens...it's just something that was recommended by Google, after I called, so I got one...

Mostly I hope they realize there is no possible way these could have passed the tests that are being promoted. And for those who say the weight should make this fragility obvious, I disagree: the whole idea behind a tablet is portability...something we can lug around with us.

Too many of us are getting cracked screens from jars that never would have disabled my netbooks, so it's something in the N7 that is deficient in too many of them. If the tests are true, then perhaps they have different screens in these models?

I suppose if it happens again, I'll chuck it, but I'll give it one chance, try to be 'xtra' careful, and hope I don't crack again....
Old October 19th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #37 (permalink)

Device(s):

Mine's been battered and held up beyond expectations. I've seen some anecdotal evidence to suggested that easily cracked screens have something to do with the screen lifting issue, it could be that where the screen and glass is properly seated it's strong enough to withstand mistreatment, but if it's got the manufacturing fault even a minor amount of pressure can crack it.

Could be an argument for a warranty repair in those circumstances, it seems strange that mine has withstood some pretty hefty knocks, while others have broken from nothing at all.
Old October 21st, 2012, 09:52 AM   #38 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thumbs up the screens for sale...

Is the box of screens with glass? or are they pre-digitizer? I want just the digitizer. ask them who supplies the glass!
Old October 21st, 2012, 10:40 AM   #39 (permalink)

Device(s):

And you can send a fastboot command to wipe the device. Hold power and volume buttons till you boot into bootloader. This will happen even if you are at the lock screen with no touch response. Open the cmd window and go to your fastboot directory. Type "fastboot -w" with out the quotes and then "fastboot reboot" your device is now clean.
Old October 22nd, 2012, 05:38 AM   #40 (permalink)

Device(s):

Ziplip

Quote:
Originally Posted by knan2012 View Post
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to buy a replacement screen for my Google Nexus 7.

The screen is cracked, I contacted Google Play and they refer me to Asus, then Asus said it is out of warrant so you have to pay to repair it.

The starting fee for an out of warranty repair is 75 Euro. The costs for labour, handling, shipping and VAT will be added to this starting fee.

Does anyone knows where I can buy the screen please.

Many thanks
My Google Nexus 7 cracked because of the screen not being put in properly, for the moment it takes an hour of tapping to get a 1/4 of the screen to work, maybe that will help you until you get it replaced. I put mine under my house insurance and am waiting for them to contact me back about it
sponsored links
Old October 23rd, 2012, 01:53 PM   #41 (permalink)
Pātes avec votre foie

Device(s): Samsung Note 2(Me), Evo4G LTE(Wife), Nexus 7, Nook Tablet All rooted? Of course!!
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 4,405 Times in 1,950 Posts
pastafarianaf@gmail.com

My screen cracked while in a padded case which was itself in a padded laptop bag. If the bag fell or was hit, it wasn't significant enough for me to take notice. Certainly, there was no event that should have damaged what is considered a portable device. FWIW, I'm very carefull with all my gear usually selling it as "like new" when I'm done with it. The first time I called Asus I was told that it was not a warranty issue and would cost $170 for repair. I almost gave up and considered selling the broken unit on ebay to cut my loss. Fortunately after a bit of complaining here, I persisted. I called Asus a couple of more times, finally getting a rep who said it should be covered and made note of it. I sent it back a week ago Friday and according to Fedex tracking, it will return to me Thursday. Since there was no request for money, I'm assuming it was either repaired or replaced under warranty. If it comes back with the same cracked screen? I'll probably go postal!

Did you forget to kiss a Mod today?
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #42 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
I called Asus a couple of more times, finally getting a rep who said it should be covered and made note of it. I sent it back a week ago Friday and according to Fedex tracking, it will return to me Thursday. Since there was no request for money, I'm assuming it was either repaired or replaced under warranty. If it comes back with the same cracked screen? I'll probably go postal!
who did you call and what did you tell them? They did not want to hep me! My screen broke under identical circumstances...
Old October 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #43 (permalink)
Pātes avec votre foie

Device(s): Samsung Note 2(Me), Evo4G LTE(Wife), Nexus 7, Nook Tablet All rooted? Of course!!

pastafarianaf@gmail.com

I didn't make a note of the names. I did the online forms then called the default Asus support number. It took 3 separate calls to get a rep that agreed with me. I didn't say anything special, just pressed my case that the screen didn't break from overly rough handling. The N7 arrived today (using it now). They did repair it, this is the same unit I sent in. Good luck to you!
Old October 28th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #44 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wow, just sold mine on eBay after 6 tries for $46.66. Oh well. Bummer.
The Following User Says Thank You to dongemus For This Useful Post:
jazzfreek (December 4th, 2012)
Old October 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongemus View Post
Wow, just sold mine on eBay after 6 tries for $46.66. Oh well. Bummer.
Sorry to hear that. I sold my cracked 16gb 2 months ago and got a little more than twice that. Now that there are so many out there and the 32gb is out our earlier models are going to bring less and less. I'm starting to feel better about buying the Squaretrade warranty in case I drop this one. I love my N7 but I'm still scared to death of the screen.....

Joe
Old November 2nd, 2012, 05:53 AM   #46 (permalink)

Device(s):

Mine broke a few days ago. The left side of the screen shattered in my hand under my thumb. This is a device that was barely used. It never left the house and spent most of its time on the shelf.

It seems there are a bunch of defective Nexus 7 units out there. The glass can become unseated and when that happens it takes nothing for it to crack.

Very disappointed.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 07:19 AM   #47 (permalink)
Pātes avec votre foie

pastafarianaf@gmail.com

Sorry for your loss. Get Asus to repair or replace it. Don't accept any rep that tells you screen breakage isn't covered by warranty. Good luck!
Old November 5th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #48 (permalink)

Device(s):

Pastafarian,

Do you have a case number I would be able to use to reference when talking with customer service? Thanks in advance
Old November 6th, 2012, 06:46 AM   #49 (permalink)

Device(s): Viewsonic G-Tablet, Droid X, LG Voyager (retired), Galaxy S III, Nexus 7

I bought the 32GB from Staples, no extended service plan. Liked it so much I bought another for my wife as an early Christmas present from Walmart. I chickened out and bought the $19.99 2 year plan for her 16GB model after more reading.

It looks to me like the early screens were weak due to the screen separation issue. If the adhesion of the LCD to the digitizer and glass makes them easy to break you would think Asus would step up and warranty repair more of them.

I guess the best method for now as mentioned before is ebay and buy new one or wait till the screen prices come down. If my 32GB cracks after extreme care Asus will be politely hearing from me. Apparently the thin profit margins don't give them much room. Let's hope they do the right thing and avoid a class action lawsuit.

SH
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:13 AM   #50 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Lesson Learned -

Same story here. My daughter was laying on her bed, her Nexus 7 in a case, and dropped it to a carpeted floor - and the screen cracked. A 2 foot drop, in a padded case, to a padded surface and it cannot survive? No way this thing is portable. Now - do I follow up with ASUS and see if they'll fix it - or do I sell it on ebay, eat the loss, and buy her a FIRE ? She basically only uses it for reading ....

Unbelievable that a large companies like GOOGLE and ASUS do not stand behind their warranty. I've seen so much decency lately in those affected by Hurricane Sandy. I've seen neighbors who would complain about their downstairs neighbors on a weekly basis, take those same downstairs neighbors into their own homes, provide them with food, shelter, clothing - everything - without question or any mention of money. I've seen strangers pitching in to help scrub walls and floors, rip out carpet, and carry out furniture that is already beginning to stink - all without complaint or looking for a paycheck. I've seen plumbers and electricians working 20 hour days trying to restore service. I've seen electric repairmen working the lines in high winds and rains, trying to keep people warm and connected. Maybe TPTB at GOOGLE and ASUS should stop by and pick up some humanity ???

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)