Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree4Likes

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:34 PM   #51 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Galaxy S3 White (Rooted Stock)
Carrier: Boost Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddie0 View Post
I just ran into the same problem. What I did was install the linked older version of Whatsapp onto BlueStacks to get a 3 digit code to input into my Nexus. This worked for me. I then uninstalled Whatsapp from my Nexus 7 and installed the newest version downloaded from whatsapp.com/android and secured it.
Didn't know you could linked older version of WhatsApp onto BlubStacks...great find!

sponsored links
Old December 10th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #52 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M81162 View Post
I,ve just installed this on my Nexus 7 but now my phone is telling me that I can't have it on 2 devices. Is there a way around this?
We have already discussed this...the app lets you use it on one device at a time. If you want to use it on 2 devices, use a different number such as Google voice.
Old December 11th, 2012, 07:35 AM   #53 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks baddie0! That totally worked
Old December 12th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #54 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Whatsapp on Nexus 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerreVD View Post
Thanks baddie0! That totally worked
Hi JerreVD and everyone else. I have read the whole thread and have spent 3 hours trying to get this to work. I bought the nexus 7 for my brother as I am moving to Australia and want to send photos, messages, videos etc back home to my bro and parents. I cannot for the life of me get this to work.

The problem I have is that bluestacks automatically seems to install the newest version of whatsapp which gives you a 6 digit code. The older version on the nexus wants a 3 digit code.

Can someone please please help me here before my head explodes and I throw the laptop and nexus into the fire lol.

How can I link the old version of whatsapp (3 digit code) to bluestacks?

Many many thanks guys!!
Old December 13th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #55 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
I just ran into the same problem. What I did was install the linked older version of Whatsapp onto BlueStacks to get a 3 digit code to input into my Nexus. This worked for me. I then uninstalled Whatsapp from my Nexus 7 and installed the newest version downloaded from whatsapp.com/android and secured it.
As of today (12/13/2012), WhatsApp v2.8.4776 setup is no longer working for me on both BlueStacks (PC) and Nexus7 (after AppGuard). I setup on my nexus yesterday (12/12/2012) just fine but today when I tried to setup on my wife's Nexus7, both BlueStacks and Nexus7 told me the WhatsApp v2.8.4776 is too old and ask me to download from PlayStore.

So I download the latest version of WhatsApp v2.8.9108.apk, installed on BlueStacks and AppGuard-ed it. It failed after AppGuard (ok to open Whatsapp but when try to verify, it said "It looks like your client has been modified. Please download the latest version from Google Play". I stuck here.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea on how to resolve this. thank you!
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #56 (permalink)

Device(s):

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by money167 View Post
As of today (12/13/2012), WhatsApp v2.8.4776 setup is no longer working for me on both BlueStacks (PC) and Nexus7 (after AppGuard). I setup on my nexus yesterday (12/12/2012) just fine but today when I tried to setup on my wife's Nexus7, both BlueStacks and Nexus7 told me the WhatsApp v2.8.4776 is too old and ask me to download from PlayStore.

So I download the latest version of WhatsApp v2.8.9108.apk, installed on BlueStacks and AppGuard-ed it. It failed after AppGuard (ok to open Whatsapp but when try to verify, it said "It looks like your client has been modified. Please download the latest version from Google Play". I stuck here.

Please let me know if you guys have any idea on how to resolve this. thank you!
The version that I updated to in my last post started to give upgrade messages again so I fiddled about with it again and have since had it working perfectly. I hope what I've learnt might be useful to you.

Personally I think the key thing here is you downloaded the latest version from Google Play. I noticed when I was messing about with my nexus that the latest version it states on Whatsapp's website and Google Play are different. (As of today Website = 2.8.9448, Google Play = 2.8.9108). I also noticed the website version updates very frequently, almost daily I'd say.

At first I tried installing the same version you got from Google Play and if memory serves me right I received the same message too. My thinking is that the GP version has extra security measures built in. I uninstalled it and then used the method in the first post (starting from step 1) but this time using the apk downloaded from the website. Since then I've been using ver 2.8.8931 and have had no problems.

Now, currently I have no idea if the website version calls for a 3 or 6 digit code. I'd say if it asks for 6, then you should be able to use the 6 digit Bluestacks gives you. If not, try 'linking an older version' of Whatsapp to Bluestacks like baddie0 says to get that 3 digit code. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do this. Hopefully someone can answer hed0nism's request if the answer isn't available elsewhere.

In conclusion I think you're better off downloading the apk from Whatsapp's website. I know if I get update message again, I won't go to be Google Play. Hope you manage to get it working!
Last edited by Nuj Fuj; December 15th, 2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #57 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default It works, but can I update?

Hi there, really happy with Whatsapp on the Nexus. Have been using it for a week and a half.

Usually it asks me to update whenever I open it, but today it was telling me this version won't be supported in 1 day. So... should I update or not?

My question: Has anyone updated the App (is it possible after using Appguard?) and does it still work afterwards?

thanks,

Leon
Old December 19th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #58 (permalink)

Device(s): Wave I - Bada Nexus 7 - Android

Default upgrade of whatsapp

do not worry to uninstall old version which is not supported any more. Then you install the new version, you use appguard, it will unistall and reinstall it again and secure the app. When the app is installed you are not asked for any digits, and it works perfectly. I was a little bit scare, that it will not run, but there is no problem you should face.
Old December 19th, 2012, 06:45 AM   #59 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lnrd View Post
Hi there, really happy with Whatsapp on the Nexus. Have been using it for a week and a half.

Usually it asks me to update whenever I open it, but today it was telling me this version won't be supported in 1 day. So... should I update or not?

My question: Has anyone updated the App (is it possible after using Appguard?) and does it still work afterwards?
Leon
To be more specific, here is my way to the Fixing of the Expired Whatapp:
  1. the old whatsapp error out but it gave me a "download" button to get the new version. I clicked it, it saved out an apk file.
  2. It wouldn't let me install this new apk so I went uninstall old whatsapp from Nexus7 (I left Appguard alone).
  3. Then I opened the new apk file and installed the new whatsapp, when finished, I hit close instead of opening app.
  4. I used Appguard to secure the new app.
  5. New whatsapp opened fine but I have to input my phone number again to verify my account (No more 3-digit/6-digit crap).
  6. It tells me they found old message and gave option to restore or start new. I restored the message and everything working perfect again. FYI, new version is v2.8.8828
Last edited by money167; December 19th, 2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old December 21st, 2012, 06:27 AM   #60 (permalink)

Device(s): Asus Nexus 7
Carrier: Sonera

Or just download What's App (Version 2.8.9448) from WhatsApp for Android and install it! At least that works on Google Nexus 7 that has Android 4.2.1 installed..
Last edited by androidix; December 21st, 2012 at 06:32 AM.
sponsored links
Old December 22nd, 2012, 11:42 AM   #61 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by groovmasta View Post
I had the same issue; the option to enter the code did not appear until I submitted my country and phone number also through Whatsapp on my Nexus 7. Naturally due to the missing mobile network on the device I got an error. So I tapped on the button call me which yielded yet another error. Click away from that message and if you now click the three dots icon in the bottom right corner the enter code option should be available. Good luck!
How do I use whatsapp on my nexus 10 tablet? Can any one help?
Old December 22nd, 2012, 12:32 PM   #62 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi Nuj Fuj,

Thank you so much for the tips. Unfortunately, I'm still stuck cracking my second Nexus. Pretty much stuck at the Nexus7 part. SMS verification failed - I can only hit "Call me" or edit number on Nexus7. And if I hit Call me, it will pops ""It looks like your client has been modified. Please download the latest version from our website". No option to put in 3 or 6-digit code.

My apk (for both nexus7 and pc) are both the same version, same file v2.8.9448. Downloaded from Whatsapp site... I'm tired of this. I have a feeling that once you messed up the first time, some kind of record remained on my nexus and made it not working. Hopefully no one get stuck like I do.
Last edited by money167; December 22nd, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old December 23rd, 2012, 12:16 PM   #63 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Update

You need to Download WhatsApp v2.8.7326 (h t t p://adf.ly/GKsJT), install it as per the instructions right at the top of the post on your Tablet, as well as in Bluestacks. Apply for the code as per the instructions and you will get a 3 digit code.

Use a temporary number not your actual mobile number, since you can only have it working properly on 1 device at a time using the same number.

Open Whatsapp on tablet, input the same number you used in Bluestacks and let it fail and select cancel and you will be able to input and activate using the 3 digit code.

Worked for me running Nexus 7 and 4.2.1

Shamlelessly obtained from

h t t p : // forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2061176
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScruffyDroid For This Useful Post:
Lucky_Luke (December 29th, 2012), platinumnk (January 7th, 2013)
Old December 23rd, 2012, 01:38 PM   #64 (permalink)

Device(s):

Thanks ScruffyDroid! It works!!
Old December 24th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #65 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Nexus 7 3G

Newbie me so maybe my comment is superfluous to others, but I installed Whatsapp version 2.8.9448 downloaded from the Whatsapp site to my Nexus 7 3G without any problem. I have a data sim with own number.
Old December 26th, 2012, 04:16 AM   #66 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Can't install in galaxy tab

Hello,
I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0(wifi only). I followed the procedure but i get error "sorry your version of the app is too old. Please download the latest version from our website:whatsapp.com/android" and when i update to new version the error i get is "it looks like your client has been modified. please download the latest version from our website: whatsapp.com/android".

And i don't get the option to enter a code i only get the option of "contact support".

Is there a way to use whatsapp on my tab..??
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:32 PM   #67 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default Works great!

ScruffyDroid, you rule!
Works like a charm.
Last edited by Lucky_Luke; December 29th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old December 29th, 2012, 03:34 PM   #68 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRathor View Post
Hello,
I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0(wifi only). I followed the procedure but i get error "sorry your version of the app is too old. Please download the latest version from our website:whatsapp.com/android" and when i update to new version the error i get is "it looks like your client has been modified. please download the latest version from our website: whatsapp.com/android".

And i don't get the option to enter a code i only get the option of "contact support".

Is there a way to use whatsapp on my tab..??
Check ScruffyDroids' Reply of the 23rd. I installed Whatsapp just 15 min. ago and it works! (But yesterday I've been at it for a couple of houres without succes)
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #69 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 HTC Droid Incredible (R.I.P) got scammed >_>
Carrier: None I guess

Help :c
I don't even see the
Enter 3 digit code or something option..
I didn't get the code also in bluestacks :c
Old December 29th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #70 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7 HTC Droid Incredible (R.I.P) got scammed >_>
Carrier: None I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesunshine View Post
Just thought I'd share what I've found about installing WhatsApp on Nexus 7.

Much thanks to Astrix from nexustablets.net and StrangerWeather from xda-developers forums!!!

UPDATE, 12/02/12...Ok I've tried the lastest version (2.8.8588) of WhatsApp and I've notice it is now giving out 6 digits instead of 3 digit code. For now use this version, WhatsApp version 2.8.4776

***For those of you who already installed the lastest version of the Whatsapp, go ahead and unintall and install the v2.8.4776 above then redo step #2.***

Required apps:

A. Whatsapp apk (since it can't be download via Google Play store, download the apk from the link below.)

B. Appguard apk: SRT AppGuard (don't worry about the German, the app is in English. This also can be DL using your N7, but you'll have to click and hold the "Download der appguard.apk" and Save link as.)

1. Install WhatsApp, once installed, close the app without running it.

2. Install AppGuard
- Start up open/run appguard.
- Select "Secure a new app"
- Select "Whatsapp"
- Appguard will take you through 3-steps:[*]scan and secure application[*]Uninstall existing application[*]Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

3. Download and install Bluestacks on your PC: BlueStacks App Player

4. Select "Messaging" and install WhatsApp on your PC.

5. Input your mobile number. You should get a text with the 3-digit verification code. Be patient, it can take few minutes.

6. Once you have your code, go back to your Nexus 7, run WhatsApp, press menu (3 dots on bottom right corner) then input the code.

And you're done!

Enjoy!
You forgot to add after the Step 6.. you need to put your number back on, and your country then click
call me, and it won't work after that you touch the 3 dots, and click
input code!
ta-da xD
also, remember to install the whatsapp with blue stack, right from the apk this dude gave u c;
ty so much
sponsored links
Old December 30th, 2012, 04:00 AM   #71 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default outofdate

Quote:
that wont work anymore bluestacks says thats u have to download the newest version

(sorry for my bad english i came from holland)
Last edited by sammy024; December 30th, 2012 at 04:20 AM. Reason: srry for my mistake i havnt readed above it worked for me:) thank u alll!!!
Old January 2nd, 2013, 03:09 AM   #72 (permalink)
j74

Device(s):

Quote:
To be more specific, here is my way to the Fixing of the Expired Whatapp:
  1. the old whatsapp error out but it gave me a "download" button to get the new version. I clicked it, it saved out an apk file.
  2. It wouldn't let me install this new apk so I went uninstall old whatsapp from Nexus7 (I left Appguard alone).
  3. Then I opened the new apk file and installed the new whatsapp, when finished, I hit close instead of opening app.
  4. I used Appguard to secure the new app.
  5. New whatsapp opened fine but I have to input my phone number again to verify my account (No more 3-digit/6-digit crap).
  6. It tells me they found old message and gave option to restore or start new. I restored the message and everything working perfect again. FYI, new version is v2.8.8828
Ok, I managed to update it this way from v2.8.5626 to v2.8.8828... but it's still telling me that a new version is available.... not a big deal since it works though !
But anyone has tried to update it with the very last version (2.9.296 I guess) ?
Does it still work after the process above ? (I really don't want to screw it up now...)

Thanks !
Last edited by j74; January 9th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old January 6th, 2013, 12:52 AM   #73 (permalink)

Device(s):

Default brain frazzled

Ok I tried every suggestion and this still doesn't work.
I have tf700 and I installed bluestacks even used all versions the last one on bluestacks says sms verification failed and I cannot make a call. So whst do I do, been on this for dayz!

Edit-Went over and Redid ScruffyDroid Advice. Worked!!
Last edited by platinumnk; January 7th, 2013 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Worked!
Old January 10th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #74 (permalink)

Device(s):

Tried this on my Nexus 10 using 7326. Unfortunately it says "Your version is too old, please update in Google Play store" on Bluestacks so I can't get the verification code
Old January 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #75 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just tried it again, now I'm getting the modified client message. Any suggestions?
Old January 11th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #76 (permalink)

Device(s):

I got it to work last month, then I uninstalled it to change my number, and I can't get it back... Keep receiving Please download from Google Play on PC..
Old January 14th, 2013, 02:40 AM   #77 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have received code for entering (from my iphone) but problem is in step 7.
I HAVE NOT FOUND ANY POSSIBILITY TO ENTER A CODE ON NEXUS 7!!!
maybe someone could give step by step intructions with screenshots?

thanks a lot
Old January 15th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #78 (permalink)

Device(s):

I tried also to install Whatsapp on my Nexus 7, using the procedure as described in the first posting. With the exception that I use WhatsApp v2.9.369 download from the Whatsapp website download section.

I get the same message as "arjman" that I have a "modified client", at the end of the procedure when I choice to call my number....so we are only two important steps away...how to get in fill in our activation code
Old February 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM   #79 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-i9100

Default Ibraheem

Hello,,,
I followed you step-by-step, but the little three dots at the bottom right corner only shows one option, which is support contact. and if I tried to verify my number via the nexus 7, it says I have the old version....
What to do?
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:24 PM   #80 (permalink)

Device(s):

Hi,
I have downloaded the latest version from the Whats app website - 2.9.2203 and I am getting stuck at the last step as well! I can't find anywhere to input the new 6 didgit code, as selcting the three dots is only giving 1 option, to contact support. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
sponsored links
Old February 13th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #81 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by freesunshine View Post
Just thought I'd share what I've found about installing WhatsApp on Nexus 7.

Much thanks to Astrix from nexustablets.net and StrangerWeather from xda-developers forums!!!

UPDATE, 12/02/12...Ok I've tried the lastest version (2.8.8588) of WhatsApp and I've notice it is now giving out 6 digits instead of 3 digit code. For now use this version, WhatsApp version 2.8.4776

***For those of you who already installed the lastest version of the Whatsapp, go ahead and unintall and install the v2.8.4776 above then redo step #2.***

Required apps:

A. Whatsapp apk (since it can't be download via Google Play store, download the apk from the link below.)

B. Appguard apk: SRT AppGuard (don't worry about the German, the app is in English. This also can be DL using your N7, but you'll have to click and hold the "Download der appguard.apk" and Save link as.)

1. Install WhatsApp, once installed, close the app without running it.

2. Install AppGuard
- Start up open/run appguard.
- Select "Secure a new app"
- Select "Whatsapp"
- Appguard will take you through 3-steps:[*]scan and secure application[*]Uninstall existing application[*]Install secured application

Once the process is completed, within Appguard, you'll need to change Whatsapp Permissions by removing the setting for "Phone calls - read phone status and identity"

3. Download and install Bluestacks on your PC: BlueStacks App Player

4. Select "Messaging" and install WhatsApp on your PC.

5. Input your mobile number. You should get a text with the 3-digit verification code. Be patient, it can take few minutes.

6. Once you have your code, go back to your Nexus 7, run WhatsApp, press menu (3 dots on bottom right corner) then input the code.

And you're done!

Enjoy!
I know a much easier way. Enter your homephone number, and hit enter, it will try and text it, but it will not work. If you select, Text not received, it will call the number and an automated message will tell you your verification. Just pick up your homephone and listen for the number and enter! It's much easier
Old February 14th, 2013, 03:09 AM   #82 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 Black 32GB
Carrier: Three (UK)

Thread title couldn't be any more vague ...
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #83 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjaba View Post
Thread title couldn't be any more vague ...
How is it vague? I couldn't have been anymore direct. I wish I could keep testing it but I don't have N7 anymore to test.
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #84 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10, Xperia Z(soon)

Had the same problem with my nexus 10 (stuck at the last step).

But i found a solution !

Just install and config whatsapp on Bluestacks. (install, verify the account, all...)
Then save whatsapp application using TitaniumBackup
Copy the 3 "com.whatsapp..." files in /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/
Paste this tree files in /sdcard/TitaniumBackup on your phone
Restore the whatsapp app using TitaniumBackup

and that's it !

Hope you understand my english :P
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #85 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenre View Post
Had the same problem with my nexus 10 (stuck at the last step).

But i found a solution !

Just install and config whatsapp on Bluestacks. (install, verify the account, all...)
Then save whatsapp application using TitaniumBackup
Copy the 3 "com.whatsapp..." files in /sdcard/TitaniumBackup/
Paste this tree files in /sdcard/TitaniumBackup on your phone
Restore the whatsapp app using TitaniumBackup

and that's it !

Hope you understand my english :P
I wanna know that do we need to ROOT our tab?
Old February 18th, 2013, 09:43 AM   #86 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 10, Xperia Z(soon)

Titanium backup need root ! :/
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:31 AM   #87 (permalink)

Device(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsenre View Post
Titanium backup need root ! :/
Have any way to install whatsapp on tab without root?
Old November 5th, 2013, 03:47 PM   #88 (permalink)

Device(s):

It stopped working after Whatsapp did something to the server just recently. Anyone has a fix? Thx!
Old November 27th, 2013, 10:28 AM   #89 (permalink)

Device(s): LG Motion 4G, Google Nexus 7 LTE
Carrier: MetroPCS, T-Mobile

Send a message via Skype™ to TheAmazingDave xbigdx408x@gmail.com

How is this better than TabletTalk?

Seems like too much fuss when you can grab the free apps from the market and not deal with installing a bunch of crap to get this to work.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)