Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 24th, 2012, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Background/Wallpaper Help

Couldnt find anything on this and would like some help.

How come when I download a wallpaper either online or through an app it makes me select a crop of it and then the resolution sucks when its on background?

Only the stock few wallpapers work full size and full res?

Anywhere i can find more backgrounds?

Thanks.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old September 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Note 3 Galaxy Note 2 Galaxy Nexus Nexus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfine06 View Post
Couldnt find anything on this and would like some help.

How come when I download a wallpaper either online or through an app it makes me select a crop of it and then the resolution sucks when its on background?

Only the stock few wallpapers work full size and full res?

Anywhere i can find more backgrounds?

Thanks.
Try Wallbase (free in the market). You get a huge selection and you can pick different resoloutions. No more cropping.
Old September 24th, 2012, 02:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s): Incredible 2(retired), Verizon Galaxy S III Blue (lost), Nexus 7, Galaxy S 4 Black.
Carrier: Verizon

valorian13

If the resolution of the picture is larger than the screen resolution it makes you crop it. My Incredible 2 and Galaxy S3 do the same thing.

Drop Box referral- Drop Box (2GB Free)
Copy Referral - Copy (extra 5GB by using this link)
Old September 25th, 2012, 03:32 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

With my S2 I can choose to have portrait or landscape mode for the wallpaper. In portrait the wallpaper doesn't move as you swipe sideways while in landscape it does. However on the Nexus I don't have the option. It only allows me to scale or pan. That means I can't make the wallpaper fill the a single screen. Is there any way round this?
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

If anyone is still interested, I found a link for downloading the wallpapers supplied with the Nexus 7. Their size is 1440 x 1280. On the middle screen you get, at most, the middle 800 pixels width of the image. Swiping moves 160 pixels to the side for each screen so four swipes covers the whole image.

If you have a 1280 x 800 image I don't think there is any way to just have the whole image as the background. The Nexus insists on cropping the image to make it's aspect ratio 1440:1280.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhsrennie For This Useful Post:
gilly78201 (October 8th, 2012), Sylon (October 7th, 2012)
Old October 7th, 2012, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s):

I wish that someone had understood his post entirely and provided a solution. I too am having the same problem as the thread author. I have the Galaxy S3 and the only backgrounds that look good are the ones that came stock with the phone. Ive googled HQ backgrounds and downloaded many apps. Every background I choose once its cropped and set as the background the resolution is grainy and just looks bad.

I think its because it causes you to crop a part of the image and then stretches the cropped part of the background to fill the screen causing the quality to go down.

I would like to know the resolution and quality of the backgrounds that Samsung provides for the S3 because those look really really good. I cannot even use any other background because I can't stand to see the poor quality and the graininess.

Is there any where to get backgrounds that are of the same quality as the ones that come with the phone???? PLEASE do not suggest random background apps unless you know for sure they provide backgrounds with the same quality as the stock backgrounds.
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:51 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC One CleanROM 5.2, Nexus 7, Samsung Captivate Slim Bean RC1 (retired)
Carrier: AT&T

Are you expanding the crop tool to cover the as much of the image as possible? If you just hit "ok" without adjusting the crop window you might just be getting the a small square in the center. If this were the case, it would probably be stretched and look very grainy.

After you select the image to use, drag the crop tool into a corner, then expand as far as it will go into the opposite corner.

If it actually is the images you're having trouble with, it shouldn't be hard to find images with the correct resolution, or close to it. Try Google image searching with the resolution (i.e. 1440x1280) as a search term. Some wallpaper sites will allow you to limit search to specific resolutions.

I've also found quite a few good quality wallpapers with the Zedge app.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)