Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Does anyone else's screen become unresponsive?

So I've had my Nexus for 5 days and I've come to notice that the longer my screen is on, the less responsive it becomes. It leads to me having to either start mashing on the screen or lock and unlock. It becomes most apparent in games but also when selecting files. Not so much when typing (ironically). Any ideas?

I'm unlocked and stock rooted if it makes any difference

sponsored links
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus BABY!!! HTC Rezound, Asus Transformer Pad TF300T Nexus 7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanked 1,478 Times in 764 Posts

Mine is very unresponsive right now but that might be because I'm on my Galaxy Nexus Seriously though I have no screen issues at all with my N7.

Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Sign up for free! http://db.tt/5aq8SJ6b
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

I frequently have my Nexus 7 on for several hours while reading a book (with Aldiko) and I've never noticed a problem with the screen becoming unresponsive.
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have noticed exactly one situation where the screen goes funny in the head:

1. Have it connected to the charger.
2. At the same time, have it in a "smart case" with a magnet and have the case closed.
3. Unplug the charger first, then open the smart case.

I can swipe to unlock the screen at that point, but the unlocked screen then goes completely bonkers, either freezing completely, or seeming to save up any touches then suddenly apply them all in some completely different area of the screen than the one I tried to touch.

Powering off then back on seems to make it sane again.
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

Funny you should ask, this started happening only the past 2 days and only a handful of times. Turning screen on and off fixes it.
It's not completely unresponsive, it just registers touch really really bad, like only 1 of 5 taps. Seems like a software or firmware problem. I remember having a similar issue with the nexus one digitizer in the early days, where the bottom half of the screen would sometimes misregister input, always happened while charging, when it's almost full too I think. My theory was that some excess current got dissipated near the connection of the digitizer. Because of how it uses electric current to register touch, this would cause it to misregister.
However last time this happened on my N7 it wasn't charging. So the other theory seems likely, the smart case magnet in some way disrupts the capacitive screen.

In any case, turning the screen off will kill the digitizer connection and recalibrate when turned back on.
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4

Hmmm I've never actually used my Nexus while on the charger but it's not a rare or common occurrence. I'm hoping it's more of a firmware problem rather than hardware
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

4th occurrence just now, right after plugging in the charger. Same deal, very hard to register touch, seems to be over the complete screen. Fixed by screen off-on.
Old September 29th, 2012, 07:45 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

My screen has just stopped responding completely. Tried a few reboots, but nothing at all. Added to this I've also cracked the screen. Well, that was a nice tablet for the 3 weeks I had it.
Old September 29th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): Moto X Nexus 7

Mine becomes unresponsive at random times and a reboot sorts it out. I just assumed it was because there was a lot running in the background?
Old September 29th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC EVO

Default No problem with my Nexus 7

A chime in to report no problem of any kind with my N7. A first class tablet to own and use.
sponsored links
Old October 1st, 2012, 03:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just been onto Asus about the screen lifting and cracking, they have asked for photos so they can assess it. While I was taking the photos, I heard a rattle from inside the nexus. I took the back cover off, and a screw fell out! It looks to be the same size as the ones that hold the screen down, but none of those were missing, so it must have come from elsewhere inside the device! I must have got a Friday afternoon one judging by the build quality!
Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:49 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Google Nexus 7, Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z
Carrier: Three UK

Send a message via Skype™ to Spicyfish

Strange, I just got my first tablet (Nexus) yesterday and the build quality is impressive, hopefully ASUS will do something for you. Sometimes (compared to my iPad) the screen is a little too sensitive, I could be scrolling and it'll sometimes click on things in a list, say within the store for instance.
Old October 2nd, 2012, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s): Bionic (Eclipse ROM)
Carrier: Verizon

The build quality on mine is fine, no issues, but I did notice the other day during an especially long session of Flick Golf that I bought during the 25cent app sale, the device was getting hot and it did seem like the screen was not responding and I couldn't really keep playing the game. I think I may have even been charging it at the same time, so I think I was just working it too hard and building up too much heat and it was starting to affect the screen. This does not happen during normal operation even while web browsing for a long time or anything like that.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)