Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pdimarco

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:04 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Wink Email App vs Gmail App Notification Issue

A little background...I've only had my Nexus 7 for 1 week and just love it...I'm actually addicted to it.

When I first set up all my GMail & Calendar stuff, it "looked/seemed" fine. But after using it for a week, I started to notice a small issue, which is actually a BIG issue.

The Gmail App wasn't auto-syncing properly. By properly I mean like hardly ever. It would randomly notify me of incoming emails, sometimes it took over 50 minutes to notify me, other times it took hours, sometimes even 10 minutes. It was all over the place. Weird!

I did the obvious and went through EVERY setting possible. In fact I even spent over an hour on the phone with Google support. I stumped Google support. They could not figure it out.

Google & I went as far as resetting the entire tablet back to factory defaults....still not luck!

** I found the solution and I think everyone should know this **

Instead of using the GMail App, I setup and used the default Email App (the yellow email icon). This Email App allows you to setup the sync refresh interval...and it actually WORKS every time!

I still have no idea why the GMail app doesn't work properly. I have the latest version of both the app & Android. But the default Email app syncs & notifies me perfectly.

I want to share this knowledge with everyone, and being my first post here and a VERY HAPPY Nexus 7 user, I hope this helps at least one person.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: png android-email-apps copy.png (4.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: png GMail-Android-R copy.png (4.3 KB, 34 views)
yogeshshivani likes this.

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7, 16gb (GrooveIP, T-mobile Hotspot device)
Carrier: none

Odd, if I send an email to myself I get notification within a minute. I really prefer K9 to Gmail, but Gmail seems to notify just fine. When you look at settings within Gmail, under your email address, does it say "Sync is ON"? If you're out of coverage or not on wifi, it will take a while to sync (never).

I just wish you could set a different notification sound for each Gmail folder. Right now my notification is "You have an email"... be nice to have several, "you have an email from...." (work or home or Joe...)
Old November 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Yeah, I use third party app too, Aqua Mail. Works great on 3 different email accounts. I'm rooted and removed both the gmail and stock email apps.
Tags
email, gmail, issue, nexus 7, notification, sync

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)