Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Last day to exchange N7, having a few issues

I purchased a 32GB N7 from Staples 2 weeks ago, and today is the last day to return / exchange the product. I previously owned a 16GB version of the N7, so I have a very good benchmark as to what the N7 experience should be.

To begin, I love the N7 and would only consider exchanging for a new one, not asking for a refund. I want to make sure that the problems I've been having are not fundamental problems with my tablet itself, but rather the software.

First Issue: I have been having some very strange syncing issues with my Google account. I am the lead user on the tablet (two other users also use it and have their own accounts linked). Yesterday, my Google Drive files wouldn't sync. I checked my Google account in settings and found a Sync Error, which couldn't seem to correct itself. Multiple reboots did not fix the issue. Then I got an invite to a Google+ hangout with a few friends. I got it simultaneously on my N7 and Galaxy Nexus. I tried to answer on the N7 and it said that I needed to re-enter my password, but didn't give me the option. I tried to open Google+ manually and it said I couldn't be signed in. Today, both of these issues work fine, but it is extremely frustrating to have these things fail right when you need them most.

Second Issue: I've noticed a little less "butter" and a little more stuttering in games than expected. I'm on 4.2.1 OTA, unlocked, but not rooted. My wife loves playing the game Ski Safari and she said it has skipped / stuttered several times while playing, something the 16GB N7 never did. I also noticed some graphical glitches when playing an emulator, though I don't have a prior experience to compare that to.

I haven't tried a factory reset yet since I'm hesitant to lose my saved game data (again, not rooted so I can't use TB). Can anyone give me any guidance on whether or not I should request an exchange or if these problems are temporary / fixed with a reset / fixed with custom ROM? Thanks!

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid

Send a message via AIM to tsaunders Send a message via Yahoo to tsaunders Send a message via Skype™ to tsaunders

I have read a lot of issues when using multiple accounts. I hear it slows down the device.

Maybe try removing the other accounts (if you can) and then try the device? Did this happen after the 4.2 update and adding multiple accounts?

Follow me on Twitter
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

It's hard to tell why it is like this since I upgraded to 4.2 immediately after opening and added user accounts on day one as well. I need to have two on there (well I don't need to, but that was a big selling point to me).
Old December 3rd, 2012, 01:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

have you tried a factory restore yet?
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

No, I'm hesitant since I don't want to lose all of my saved data. Honestly that's why I didn't root in the first place since rooting naturally causes problems and I tend to fix problems by installing new ROMs. I flash constantly on my phone, but with the tablet I share with my wife, I want it to be a hassle-free experience.

I'm starting to think I should just root and use TB (does that work with multiple users?) to back up out independent saved game data, then I can do factory resets as much or little as I'd like without actually losing everything.

I haven't rooted yet because I don't know if I want to keep the device. I'm trying to figure out if it's defective or not.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 12,562 Times in 7,247 Posts

Rooting doesn't cause problems in itself, it gives you worlds more troubleshooting options when things go wrong though
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Right I should have clarified. It's custom ROMs that lead to problems ranging from stability to battery life. The benefits far outweigh the cons on phones, but I'm not sure yet on tablets. As soon as I am reassured that my device itself is not problematic, I'll root.
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just backup your device and do a restore. me personally i root and install Titanium backup before i ever do anything on my device then you never have to worry about losing stuff
Old December 3rd, 2012, 02:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 12,562 Times in 7,247 Posts

Try reinstalling the factory image.

If possible, one from 4.1.x
Old December 3rd, 2012, 03:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s):

If you've unlocked the device then that's it: you won't lose any data now by rooting. All rooting is really is installing SuperSU and the binaries, both of which are basically just like installing any zip in recovery.

Do that, make your backups, wipe, and then restore data.

Rooting isn't the same as using a custom ROM. I use custom phone ROMs but just stock rooted for tablets - less hassle! (But you still get the main benefits of rooting, which for me is a Titanium Backup and DataSync - for getting those saved games onto another device much faster than TB can!)
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2012, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s):

Ok so I just rooted, made a nandroid, installed TB and then hit the ole proverbial brick wall. I logged in to my wife's profile, chose TB and was promptly told that only the primary user can use TB. Unfortunately that makes it useless for my uses given that we both play games. Is there any other solution here? I want to factory reset and try to fix some of these software issues, but I don't want to lose either of our game data.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)