Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus7
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Advice on tethering please

Hey. I need some advice on tethering please. I've bought a nexus7 wifi model but would like to use it commuting. I know that its easy to tether android to android but I currently have an iphone4s. I would like to know how to tether the nexus to the 4s. Im on a UK vodafone contract btw.
On another note, I don't particuarly care for the iphone and my contract runs out in january. I was considering either sticking with the 4s and buying an unlimited data sim only, or doing the same with an android handset.
I've been impressed by the nexus7 and was considering the nexus4. (If and when the handset becomes available). What would you recommend? Thanks alot

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Disabled

Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsley12 View Post
Hey. I need some advice on tethering please. I've bought a nexus7 wifi model but would like to use it commuting. I know that its easy to tether android to android but I currently have an iphone4s. I would like to know how to tether the nexus to the 4s. Im on a UK vodafone contract btw.
I don't know if that's possible. You see, the phones tend to have USB configurations to be endpoints only. But the way USB works, you need a host and an endpoint. I don't know if any phones can be reconfigured to act as USB hosts, but that's what you'd need to make it work. Have you tried getting them to communicate using Wi-Fi in wireless ad-hoc networking mode? Maybe Bluetooth?

Quote:
On another note, I don't particuarly care for the iphone and my contract runs out in january. I was considering either sticking with the 4s and buying an unlimited data sim only, or doing the same with an android handset.
I've been impressed by the nexus7 and was considering the nexus4. (If and when the handset becomes available). What would you recommend? Thanks alot
Apple phones can be sold for a decent return, so I would sell before a new model comes out and drives the price down. What you get to replace it with is something that I think of as a rather personal matter. What I love you might hate, so I really couldn't say myself. Good luck though!
The Following User Says Thank You to Speed Daemon For This Useful Post:
Rxpert83 (December 9th, 2012)
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dr. Feelgood

Device(s): Nexus 7, Nexus 5
Carrier: Sprint

Thanked 12,533 Times in 7,231 Posts

I'm not sure of the capabilities of apple devices with things like tethering. I'd imagine that's something you'd have to jailbreak to do properly. However, with Android phones its very easy to use the hot spot feature to wirelessly tether.

In the end, ditch that iphone and enjoy your freedom to do what you please with an Android device
Old December 9th, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): OG Droid running CM 7.1 (Retired), Galaxy Nexus running AOSP Android 4.2, stock Nexus 7
Carrier: Can you hear me now?

Yea I believe you do have to jailbreak your iPhone in order to tether but jailbreaking is actually easier than rooting so you shouldn't have too much difficulty with it.
Old December 9th, 2012, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s): Galaxy Nexus, Lenovo IdeaPad A1, Le Pan TC 970, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, KF HD 7,LG Lucid 3
Carrier: Verizon

In the US the iPhone 4 and up are Wi-Fi tethering capable. There are additional charges for the service on the non-shared plans. Of course I have no idea how that works in the UK. Jail breaking is not required for Wi-Fi tethering if used legally.
Old December 9th, 2012, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

According to this it seems easy on a 4s, but I think it depends on your contract with vodaphone as to whether they will allow it

[HIGH]http://www.pcworld.com/article/240794/how_to_tether_your_iphone.html[/HIGH]

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemsley12 View Post
Tags
iphone 4s, nexus7, tethering

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)