Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Visa Declined

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 30th, 2012, 09:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Default Searching for "Video Out" answers

I just received my Nexus7 on Boxing Day and been trying to go through and make it work for me. Some how in my research I forgot to look into the HDMI functionality (or in this case, lack there of).

I'm trying to get the same business-usage out of my Nexus that I do from my iPad2. So I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to output video from the Nexus to a projector or a TV. If so, how?

I've read earlier posts from June and July that indicate at the time it wasn't possible. But later posts seem to indicate that Jelly Bean 4.2 might have the cure to this. But as I attempt to find more recent posts on the matter, it seems very murky as to whether anyone has actually gotten this to work or not.

Today I was down at the local Chapters store (Canadian version of Barnes & Noble) and the guy there was indicating that this adapter may do the trick Micro USB to HDMI Adapter: Amazon.ca: Electronics
But I'm a bit reluctant which is why I'm bring this to the forum.

I've heard talk of MicroUSB-HDMI convertors, some sort of wireless video adapter, streaming sticks and some sort of mirroring.

Just like the iPad1 I know that if the app developers didn't write the 3 lines of code into their program, it wouldn't display out to VGA. It wasn't until the iPad2/3 that Apple did a HDMI mirror.

I'm just wondering, is there any way to display video or presentations with my Nexus7?

Advertisements
sponsored links
Old December 31st, 2012, 12:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

Device(s):

Wi-Fi Media lets your Nexus 7 play movies on any screen via HTC's Media Link HD (hands-on video)
Harry2 likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Visa Declined For This Useful Post:
Harry2 (December 31st, 2012)
Old December 31st, 2012, 03:59 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):

There's a protocol called MHL that allows video output to be sent out through a USB port, but the N7 doesn't support this so the micro-USB to HDMI cable you mention wouldn't work.

There isn't an easy way to get video from your N7 to a TV. You need some sort of adaptor for the TV like the one Visa Declined mentions or the one mentioned in this post.
Old December 31st, 2012, 06:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus 5 32GB White, Pebble KickStarter Edition, Nexus 7 16GB, MK808b MiniPc, LG G Watch
Carrier: GiffGaff

Do you have a SMART TV, with wifi? if so try the apps in the line by these guys.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dayglows.vivid.full&feature=nav_oth er#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDYsImNvbS5kYXlnbG93cy52aXZpZC5m dWxsIl0.

I use this with my samsung tv and it works well. The UI is rubbish, but it works.
Old December 31st, 2012, 07:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

Device(s):

You can also use an app called imediashare to stream through your PS3 Playstation to your HDTV.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Chemist

Device(s): SGS3 16GB - CM11 Nightlies, Nexus 7 16GB (2012) - CM10.2 Nightlies
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

h4x0rj3ff@gmail.com

you can also output to a roku box via juice for roku and plex
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s): Nexus One, Nexus 7
Carrier: Mobile Vikings

I have a pretty cheap tv but it has an ethernet port and dlna certified network adapter, so I can use skifta to make the N7 into a sort of media center. I can browse through my videos on my tv interface. Also looks like crap, but works well enough if your tv supports the video formats. In order to play each and every format, you'll need something like mentioned above, an android tv interface that can install mx player or the likes.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)

Device(s): HTC Desire

Hi jlindemann,

I've tried several of the DLNA free and paid-for players and the best one in my opinion is BubbleUPNP.

I use it mainly for streaming audio files (not just from the N7 itself, but also from network shares located via ES File Explorer, and Google Music in the cloud). It works flawlessly.

The other day I was tempted to try the video streaming (playing to my WDTV Live) and I have to say I was really impressed with the picture and sound quality over my wireless home network. I'd say forget about the lack of HDMI and crack on with BubbleSoftUPNP (paid-for version).

Just a little aside - if you plan to upload your music to the Google Music cloud service you may need to enable the proxy server setting within BubbleUPNP to make it work. It took me ages to discover this, hence I thought I would point it out in case it helps.

There is a free version of the software you can try in the marketplace as well.

Good luck!
Old January 1st, 2013, 09:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s):

Twonky seems to play nicely with my xBox as far as upnp goes.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Nexus 7 (2012)